Beyond a Reasonable Doubt Reviews

• Nov 30, 2020

Interesting, tho kind of an Antiu-Death Penalty movie. & SPOILER ALERT!: some sharp TWISTS. + DANA ANDREWS. + JOAN FONTAIN (I think she's overrated.) Arthur Franz. & DIRECTED by FRITZ LANG, about 17 years after his 1927 METROPOLIS. Never heard of , or saw, until THE MOVIE CHANNEL, 11.29.2020

• Sep 11, 2020

Throw out every horror film and forget every other suspense thriller, I don’t think I’ve ever been as paranoid and on edge as I was with Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. From the moment they establish the plot you can’t help thinking “This is a terrible idea, and I hope nothing goes wrong.” I was nervous each and every moment they spent formulating this plan and putting it into action. All I could do was worry that something might go wrong, and envision the disaster on the horizon. There’s an element of ridiculousness to the actions of the characters, and it’s hard to believe how reckless these men are behaving. But I could also see their motivations and understand why they thought it was a good idea. It’s a risky gambit and I was desperate to see how it would resolve. I used to think feel-good movies were the best, but I’m starting to think there is nothing greater than a movie that can get me nervous. It shows how invested I am in the plot when I can barely breathe because I’m so stressed. I spent so much of Beyond a Reasonable Doubt trying to get ahead of the plot. I had multiple guesses of how things might unfold, and to be honest I was right with one of those guesses. However, what truly astounded me and launched this movie from good to great in my estimation is that it still surprised me. It’s a brilliant script that knows exactly how to manipulate the audience into feeling a particular way. I was under its spell from the first scene, and it never let up. The cast did an amazing job as well. Most notable of the bunch is Dana Andrews, who I think it’s safe to say has become one of my favorite classic actors. Between this, Laura, and The Best Years of Our Lives, he continues to impress me. All the supporting cast was marvelous as well. This is the kind of movie that I want to rave about for hours on end, but it’s also one I’m afraid to talk about too much for fear of spoiling it. Just watch Beyond a Reasonable Doubt for yourself, you will not regret it.

Aldo G Super Reviewer
    Apr 18, 2020

The premise of this Fritz Lang noir is commendable, a reporter sets out to prove that capital punishment is unjustifiable. But, plot lines are implausible and preposterous. Yet, this film is still worthy of a watch as the entire cast delivers.

• Jan 27, 2019

The best courtroom movie ever made!

The best courtroom movie ever made!

• Jan 04, 2019

Not the best movie from Fritz Lang: it is slow, predictable at many moments and quite dull. But the general plot and the theory behind are interesting enough to keep your attention. Years later, another movie (I will not spoil which) too the same idea and represented it brilliantly.

• Sep 30, 2018

A decent courtroom thriller with an interesting plot, although the twists were easy to see coming. (First and only viewing - 9/30/2018)

• Nov 15, 2016

Reporter and then novelist Tom Garrett (Dana Andrews) uses himself as a guinea pig against capital punishment

• Nov 12, 2016

As much as I love film noir, it's too hard to get invested in the silliness of the plot of this film. Fritz Lang is usually capable of better work than ho-hum 50s television movies that stretch suspension of disbelief too far in the legal system of America.

• Jul 01, 2015

A new prisoner on death row can't have visitors the first week. A novelist and his fiancée's father get into a heated debate about capital punishment. They come up with an exotic plan to frame the novelist for murder in an effort to show that capital punishment is worth it. Unfortunately, half way through the process the father dies while the novelist is behind bars. How can the novelist get out of this predicament? "The idea began to intrigue me." Fritz Lang, director of M, Metropolis, Fury, Woman in the Moon, Western Union, Ministry of Fear, House by the River, Clash by Night, and The Big Heat, delivers Beyond a Reasonable Doubt. The storyline for this picture is interesting and has some clever twists and directions. The acting is very good and includes Dana Andrews, Joan Fontaine, Sidney Blackmer, Edward Binns, and Barbara Nichols. "You've been neglecting me so I want to show you what you've been missing." I came across this on Turner Classic Movies (TCM) and thought it would be an interesting Dana Andrews film to watch. It was interesting and well executed. I enjoyed the conclusion and direction and think this is worth a viewing. "My daughter has expensive taste." Grade: B

• Apr 11, 2015

Somewhat contrived, but still smoothly tragic - almost too smooth.

Somewhat contrived, but still smoothly tragic - almost too smooth.