Bicentennial Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bicentennial Man Reviews

May 9, 2019
I found this to be a very entertaining film.
April 15, 2019
I loved it. Robin Williams is wonderful and the development of the robot to human is covered in depth.
½ February 24, 2019
Not a bad movie, Did seem to drag out a little.
February 9, 2019
One of the best fantasy-drama movies.
October 24, 2018
a very heartwarming story that questions
what it means to be human
thoroughly enjoyable and highly underrated
October 21, 2018
Sappy lame arsed poorly constructed crap a machine how ever well programmed does not have a soul and thus cannot become human as we are it was really poorly choice by Williams to do this film.
June 1, 2018
I seldom call critics idiots.
Critics are idiots.
February 4, 2018
Despite some bad story elements, still makes it through with it's heartwarming messages and clean style.
February 3, 2018
Excellent film !! Je ne comprends pas les mauvaises notes et mauvaises critiques !
Le film (surtout le dernier quart) soulève des questions toujours d'actualité 18 ans après sa sortie, et qui prendront de plus en plus de place dans notre société dans les années à venir.

Il reste agréable à regarder malgré son âge, et je vous le recommande vivement !
Très touchant, vous pourriez pleurer à la fin !
January 28, 2018
A great movie with a stellar cast! One of Robins best I agree. I struggle to understand quite why critics pan it so, other than a pre cognitive agenda. Oh yes, Andrew was alive. Look at it this way, we were created, we are extremely complex biological machines in essence and yet we live. Andrew was created with the ability to grow and learn with conscious though, a soul in a machine. All the parts he created later were 100% biological, including his brain, just like us he lived, he loved and he died.
Great movie hands down.
January 9, 2018
I swear that this movie lasted a bicentennial. >_<
December 28, 2017
Dumb robot sci-fi robin williams movie.
December 27, 2017
Wow,to see all these closed minded reviews on something they apparently didn't really pay attention to is very disheartening.
This is one of the best movies Robin William did.
December 19, 2017
Definitely a sentimental film of a story of a robot that evolved into an android pursuing a pure human soul. It's a worthwhile tale with an amazing timeline, a parallel heart that was emotionally felt, talented production value of makeup and costume, and next to the said heart there's a mechanic charm radiating from Williams as his usual comedic self. Give this film a chance so you can get to know it like meeting a human soul; that is this film's statement. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
November 29, 2017
This is a very overlooked and misunderstood movie. Many people didn't get the message this movie wants to transmit. it is not simply that he wants to be human, it is that Andrew wants to be better, wants to feel and wants to share and teach what humans take for granted... it is a beautiful and very emotional journey that takes Us from birth to death and everything in between... I read the story (Asimov) and I feel they did a good job on expanding Andrew's journey into adulthood and thru life....
October 20, 2017
I watched this film when I was a kid, and to be honest I loved it. It was probably one of my first exposure to automaton themed film, and the idea of a life with robots was so intriguing with me - growing up with robin williams in also flubber I have a bias view in my adoration to the film. I recommend it to families with kids for their children to also enjoy.
September 5, 2017
Brilliant film, different to others out there and really funny.
August 19, 2017
Too light for adults, too mature for kids, Bicentennial Man hits that sweet spot in between of sentimentality in a naive manner. I felt for Andrew every step of the way, every hardship, up until the very end, and while it has fantastic music, direction, acting and good humor, it is not without it's flaws. I feel like Disney executives must have wanted something akin to Les Miserables for robots, hammering the audience with relentless emotion and sadness, kinda like when you put way too much peanut butter on the sandwich, and then you have to put on a lot of jelly to balance it out, but then when you put both pieces of bread together, it gets everywhere, making your hands and clothes sticky and then you think about it for a week. The sandwich is the movie, the peanut butter is the emotion, the jelly is the humor added in to lighten the movie. One moment, you love Sam Neill's character, Sir. Martin, but then, his decisions make you want to throw a very heavy object at your screen. There are some moments of humor that are unnecessary, such as the female robot dancing to Aretha Franklin, which is kinda awkward and slows the plot of the already two hour long movie, and while the movie is almost two and a half hours long, you never get to stay in each part of Andrew's 200 year journey for as long as you'd like, which is a miracle of disaster. However, these inconsistencies and large flaws are completely overshadowed by many great things, including an endearing performance from the always enthusiastic Robin Williams, who does his best to portray a robot on a quest to become a man. The jokes his character makes are genuinely funny, the moments where he faces hardship are undeniably sad, and even in his robot outfit/makeup, you can feel the humanity of his character and his noble struggle. The supporting cast is also really well chosen, with the fantastic Sam Neill playing his character as well as anybody else could, even if the character itself is inconsistent in his actions. Hallie Kate Eisenberg was the rare occasion of a child actor who can stand up to their more experienced and fabled counterparts, and Ebeth Davidtz seamlessly ages the character with maturity and style. And speaking of style, this movie is full of it. Everything is either sleek and shiny or rough and aged, and Chris Colombus is and always will be a visionary, despite how his films turn out in the end. All in all, Bicentennial Man is a treat for those who can deal with it's shortcomings, and is not for the faint of heart.
½ July 25, 2017
A very beautiful film with a wonderful performance that is a tour de force from Robin Williams, whose warm voice and smiling eyes as well as his great mind and acting and comedy ability will make him immortal in the memory of everyone who sees one of his films or recorded comedic performances. This movie is a wonderful, wise exploration of what it means to be a human being. The critics don't know what real human emotions are, because this film has it in spades, and has so much to say about our journey through life. It is a truly great film and I can easily see why it is so beloved.
June 11, 2017
Good movie. Though its final act is formulaic and a little too sentimental, there's still some originality in the plot, smart humor, somber direction from Columbus, great performances from Williams and Davidtz, and a tearjerker ending with a heartwarming message.