Bird Reviews

• Feb 27, 2019

I enjoy this film but,, I am a big fan of Jazz especially Bop BeBop. I'm grateful that Mr Eastwood made this movie, I would love to see it on a big screen. I think that Forrest Whitaker's performance was a sign of things to come. Overall a top film for me.

• Jun 02, 2016

A somewhat hard to understand depiction of the life of Charlie Parker, but everything else is outstanding: the acting, cinematography, the dark settings of New York, the jazz music etc.

• Feb 20, 2016

So few movies about Jazz so automatic five stars. It is a excellent movie great acting. The script jumping around in time didn't always work for me. Also you make a movie about a musician that musicians are going to be the main audience take the time to buy or rent period correct instruments it is really distracting seeing gear that wasn't invented till decades later in scene.

• Dec 26, 2015

Though quite a soulful performance by Forest Whitaker, and Diane Venora's best performance, it doesn't give a complete narration or look into Bird's life, which does not warrant its feature length time.

• Oct 05, 2015

Clint Eastwood's love letter Charlie Parker shouldn't have been written. Disjointed, overly melodramatic, with too many shifting time periods that made it confusing.

• Jul 19, 2015

A fabulous performance from Forest Whitaker with a great soundtrack and sound design. Diana Verona is also great in this and Clint Eastwood does a great job as director. It does ramble on for far too long but the performances are too good to turn away from

• Jun 03, 2015

Clint Eastwood's biopic of bebop legend Charlie Parker seems somewhat aimless - and perhaps that is how Eastwood construed Parker's life. Sure, the music is omnipresent and exciting but Parker seems more fixated on heroin than on jazz. It can't really have been the case (one hopes). Forest Whitaker is superb, underplaying as usual, as Parker and he intimates the pain underlying the jazz life and driving some of the poor behavioural choices. I still don't see Clint Eastwood as anything other than a plain director who efficiently tells stories - but that is often enough to create a commercial (and award-winning) success. Here, he throws in some extra expressionistic flourishes (that cymbal crashing) and loses a bit of control when the script jumps backwards and forwards in time. However, the music (including Parker's own playing) is often transcendent and carries the film over its over-long running time. Now if we could see some free-jazz legends on film, all would be right with the world (for truly that film would be more ecstatic than this one).

• Apr 15, 2015

Eastwood's love of Jazz flows out here and Whitaker proves a wonderful muse.

Eastwood's love of Jazz flows out here and Whitaker proves a wonderful muse.

• Jan 24, 2015

If i realy was interested in Charlie Parker this movie would get an extra star ....But great performance by Forest W. Good job Clint !!!

• Sep 13, 2014

After almost 3.5 hours of watching this 2.5 hours movie (?1?) I have no idea what I saw, when was the past and present, when did Parker started to use heroin? You know what, you can skip this one.