BlacKkKlansman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

BlacKkKlansman Reviews

March 15, 2019
The trailers was misleading. It was portrayed as a comedy and while it had a few funny moments, It was more drama than anything. Acting was done well. Production value and story was ok. I went in thinking it was a comedy, I don't like when movies pull a bait and switch with their trailers.
March 15, 2019
Spike Lee's "BlacKkKlansman" is a dark comedy with haunting political commentary based on the true story of Ron Stallworth's infiltration of the KKK in Colorado as a black police officer. While this is one of Lee's best films, there are many intentional inaccuracies made for Hollywood effect, but through the tragedy and triumphs, Lee's message rings loud and proud.
½ March 13, 2019
Ignore the underlying (although not in any way disguised) message and what do you end up with ? An exceedingly dull movie. The throwback Starsky and Hutch esc atmosphere added to the wooden acting fails on so many levels. I feel Spike Lee was so caught up in telling the story he did not stop to think about the direction. You have to admire his passion but at the end of the day it is a movie and whilst we like to be informed and intrigued we also like to be entertained and simply I was not.
March 12, 2019
That voice was the horrible. I usually like spike Lee joints but this one was just not that good. I found it funny at points.
March 12, 2019
Very enjoyable, good acting, script and score.
March 10, 2019
Holy sh*t. This movie made me tear up at the end. Powerful message.
½ March 10, 2019
BlackkKlansmen 8.7/10
This movie is incredibly realistic to the point of where you feel mentally grimy (not a bad thing whatsoever just realistic), and realizing just how bad the KKK is through this infiltration of a local chapter by a black officer and his Jewish partner. I really appreciated how this movie showed just how bad things were, but showed that if people could come together there was (and is) a way to reduce racial inequality in this country. It does tie in with where today's society is at racial inequality... which isn't good enough. We haven't reached a point of equality, and this movie demonstrated that while we still have a far ways to go we have made progress and can continue to make progress if we are actively engaged in solving inequality. While the advertisements I saw suggested this was more of a comedy, it honestly ended up being more of a drama with comedy interspersed throughout but I really didn't mind that. John David Washington does an amazing job playing the main character (one of the better leading roles you'll see this year), and Adam Driver also puts in a strong performance playing the partner. I also thought Topher Grace did an unsettlingly good job of playing David Duke. Overall, this movie mixes quality societal reflection with some fun humor. Good movie!
March 9, 2019
apart from the creative storyline and how it was told, I like the chemistry between Adam Driver and John D. Washington. thought provoking ending, i love how it tells a good story and left you with a good message to ponder about at the end of it. It's my personal pick for movie of the year.
March 9, 2019
Spike Lee is a talented filmmaker and the talented actors in this film are superb. The choppy direction and the flip flop between angry mood and keystone cops absurdity really didn't pull the movie together.
March 8, 2019
Great movie. Combines different genres without every breaking the flow of the movie. Looks at race relations from so many different angles and then brings us to the current day. I liked Green Book but that movie was "nice" and this movie was GREAT.
½ March 8, 2019
Spike Lee has done better.
March 8, 2019
A great movie going into 2019, related to real things in the world. Looking forward to see what Spike Lee concocts next!
March 8, 2019
For me this was far and away the best of the Oscar nominated movies for Best Picture this year. Also thought Spike Lee should have won best director. It's just great all the way around' with drama, humor, and just a great story based off true events. Some of the most unbelievable things in the movie really happened!
March 8, 2019
Not just one of the best films in recent years, but also one of the most important. It's a true masterpiece by Spike Lee.
March 7, 2019
It's probably a good movie, but I have too much of a squick response to undercover scenes. Even Miss. Doubtfire kicks my social anxieties into high gear.
March 6, 2019
Set in the 1970ā(TM)s, the first black police officer on the Colorado Springs police force attempts to infiltrate the Klu Klux Klan by becoming one of them.

Acting: 10
I donā(TM)t know who I liked better throughout the movie, John David Washington as Ron Stallworth or Adam Driver playing Jewish cop Flip Zimmerman. Not only were they amazing individually, but they complimented each other with great chemistry on screen. Whatever emotion director Spike Lee was trying to make you feel was amplified in their joint scenes. Washington is charming, funny, and witty, all the things you want from a leading role. His heroic character is one of my favorites from the year.

Beginning: 10

Characters: 10

Cinematography/Visuals: 9
The visuals are amazingly crisp, poignant for each scene. It transports you perfectly into the time period without feeling overdone. While the film is largely a comedy, it succeeds in spots by relying on tension and intense moments. Spike Lee has a way of capturing those moments with sheer perfection. It has an artsy feel to it, sometimes over the top, but never unrelatable. Relatable Art. I think thatā(TM)s the best way to describe it.

Conflict: 10
Whether subtle or in your face, conflict comes in waves throughout BlackkKlansman. You keep waiting for bad things to happen and sometimes they do. When they donā(TM)t, you know itā(TM)s only a matter of time before things get harry again. There was never a point where I was bored in the movie. Even the planning scenes where they were trying to figure out just how to get a black man to infiltrate a white supremacist organization was fun to watch.

Genre: 10
One of the most important dramas of our generation. Period. Nothing else needs to be said here.

Memorability: 10
The story in and of itself brings an originality you wonā(TM)t soon forget. On paper, it sounds absolutely nuts. Watching it unfold on the big screen is even more nuts. Even though itā(TM)s based on a true story, itā(TM)s still very much hard to believe. Itā(TM)s powerful and real with solid messaging that translates to the now. Even the comedy in certain moments has a way of leaving a real impact.

Pace: 10
The film is long, but itā(TM)s a smooth long. The pacing feels like a brisk jog. You always know the direction youā(TM)re heading and it never feels like it has to cheat or take shortcuts to properly tell the story. Not boring in the least. Engaging and entertaining throughout.

Plot: 8
Again, much respect for an original story. My one gripe: I donā(TM)t think the love story was necessary. It didnā(TM)t really contribute to the movie as a whole. Everything outside of that was wonderful and beautifully done.

Resolution: 10

Overall: 97
Expected to like BlackkKlansman, but I fell in love with this movie. It tells a wonderful story that leaves you talking long after itā(TM)s over. Iā(TM)ve said this already, but it bears repeating: This is one of the most important films of our generation. See it. Donā(TM)t think twice.
March 6, 2019
Another cinematic masterpiece, Blackkklansman was possibly the best movie of 2018. John David Washington, Adam Driver, and Laura Harrier delivered masterful performances. Blackkklansman treads a fine line between telling an incredile through a comedic tone and trivializing a serious period of history, and it truly succeeded. You will laugh during Blackkklansman, but you will definitely think after it.
½ March 6, 2019
This well-made satire is quite entertaining, although not so much as caricature, since the abusrd premise, based on true events, is in itself already quite amusing; nonethless, it does have some considerable political bite.
½ March 6, 2019
A movie that definitely not only portrais the events that over went Ron Stallworth's investigation, but is able to connect the commentary and critique on racism and discrimination with pretty real and current events. A film that is not only enjoyable, but leaves you thinking about what's happening and how little we have progressed from times in which racism was a common thing.
½ March 5, 2019
I watched BlacKkKlansman last week. While it had some great character moments, I found the injection of Leeā(TM)s anti-Trump politics to be overly blatant and jarring. It took me out of the movie which eliminated the immersion that I enjoy when getting wrapped up in the movieā(TM)s story.

The greatest of movies are never fueled by hate. In the case of BlacKkKlansman, Spike Lee expresses his hate for Trump and seems incapable of focusing on telling a coherent story when attempting to weave that hate into the film. Itā(TM)s too bad because I think that the film had some real potential.

My feelings on BlacKkKlansman are mixed. Itā(TM)s not great but has great things therein. In particular, it has some great character moments where the lead, Ron Stallworth (played by John David Washington) had exchanges with Patrice Dumas (played by Laura Harrier). It was great how they each held conflicting views on social issues yet clearly cared about each other. This was the greatest thing about the movie.

Where it failed was where Spike Lee seemed like everything that was wrong with social issues in the 1960Ć¢(TM)s could be mirrored easily with Trumpā(TM)s rhetoric. This was Lee creating a strawman which makes for lazy writing.
The film would have been many times better if they put some effort into making the KKK members both believable and even partially relatable. Poor villains make for weak heroes. Itā(TM)s when you can see the world through the eyes of your enemy that the insidious nature of evil becomes evident.

Spike Lee seemed upset that this didnā(TM)t win Best Picture at the Oscars. Given how lazy he was with the screenplay, this film didnā(TM)t even deserve to be nominated.