BlacKkKlansman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

BlacKkKlansman Reviews

December 11, 2018
Movie was outstanding, Spike Lee did a phenomenal job directing it, the acting was strong, the humor was on point, the serious scenes were carefully executed. A must watch.
½ December 10, 2018
Avec un de ses films les plus cohérents visuellement et formellement beaucoup plus classique que ce qu'il a pu faire auparavant, Spike Lee livre une comédie policière souvent hilarante (mais qui n'oublie jamais de rappeler que ce n'est pas censé l'être) avec BlacKkklansman. S'il ne peut s'empêcher quelques facilités et quelques dialogues un peu trop appuyés, il peut compter sur le duo John David Washington et Adam Driver, parfaits pour ce duo de policiers infiltrés dans un groupe du Ku Klux Klan. Vient alors le problème des 10 dernières, qu'on peut interpréter comme irresponsables ou nécessaire, c'est selon. Toujours est-il qu'elles sont un contrepoint parfait de ce qu'on vient de voir et qu'elles rappellent que si Spike Lee est furieux, nous devrions l'être aussi.
½ December 10, 2018
A culmination of Spike Lee's best work, "BlacKkKlansman" is a provocative and tense undercover cop thriller that comes out in a time when we need it the most.
December 8, 2018
An exaggerated look at the turmoil of 1970's urban America (in order to comment on the present-day) seen through the eyes of a hip black cop trying to break the color bar in one of Colorado's police departments. For taking in as much as it does regarding subject matter it is to be commended, but the whole train rides on the ever-so-thin bon mot that black people who can affect white speech patterns possess a comic one-upmanship - which the piece cannot maintain. Put this down to a mighty effort that unfortunately fails.
December 7, 2018
Very amusing and captivating.

Watching the entire movie, you believe this really did happen... and apparently it did! But with several historical alterations to provide dramatic flare.

Nonetheless, this era-piece film is executed amazingly, and has some really dramatic moments, that definitely run parallel metaphorically with some events occurred in the last 5 years.

A++ movie with a deep message for everyone.
December 6, 2018
Spectacular movie, incredible screenplay, a great contender for best picture and Adam Driver was perfect!!!!
December 5, 2018
great acting and one of the best movies of the year.
December 4, 2018
Great concept but extremely boring
½ December 2, 2018
My full opinion: 8.7/10.
December 2, 2018
A "solid" film; definitely worth seeing. But pacing dragged.
½ December 1, 2018
Loved it! A timely yet eternal story only slightly marred by Spike Lee's stilted style. A must see!
½ December 1, 2018
as good as any movie this year.Everything clicks from the acting to the directing to the story....welcome back Spike.
December 1, 2018
Well-acted, well-directed movie. The script was superb,
December 1, 2018
Genius film making. Direction, writing and acting are on point.
December 1, 2018
BlacKkKlansman is Spike Lee spouting more of that foâ(TM) real, foâ(TM) real shit and I dig.

I dig real hard.

A few slices from perfection, but still all in on all the things that still matter. Itâ(TM)s pretty well worn the comments on how the film is perfectly timed and a wonderful snap back at the real state of the union, but in its real construction...Thatâ(TM)s what Iâ(TM)m talking about.

For all the Trump parallels, the commentary on racism on all levels, the evolving but still problematic nature of police investigation, to all the other themes that stick and resonate so hard, especially in those last five minutes...Spike Lee reminds you once again why he teaches on the subject of film. He constructs a damn fine one.

Thereâ(TM)s a sequence near the beginning that alone shows the power of powerful dialogue, strong direction, purposeful cinematography, and masterful editing. Then you get that throughout the rest of the film. BlacKkKlansman speaks through the medium of cinema in how calculated and important each cut is, and it speaks through Cinema itself. Hell, it opens with film footage that already throws in a reversal and then uses film further in many scenes following to play off the heroics of âwhiteâ? cinema and âblackâ? Cinema. Juxtaposition is alive and well in BlacKkKlansman and sometimes the simplest technique is the most powerful.

We see how two worlds are so different through their similarities, and context truly plants where the line in the sand is. Lee has created another film to shine a light on how fucked things are and some people are, and that times havenâ(TM)t really changed and that all lives matter. There are still some misjudged violent wrong people in the world and they havenâ(TM)t stopped yet. But Spike Lee has made another flick that can be put in cinemas and show us - because thatâ(TM)s where we go to see our heroes - that thereâ(TM)s good people fighting the good fight, and infiltrate hate.

Because this film points out pretty easily...that hate is fucking stupid.
December 1, 2018
Must watch for 2018. Well done and awakens you to the parallels between the past and today. Lessons for all of us to learn
½ November 30, 2018
Poor plot, acting and directoring. Cinematography was only redeeming quality. Thing I hate the most is the ending. C'mon man! Spike, seriously? Ending is absolute trash. Really? A montage of current news clips is the best you could do? Please bra, please stop your game up son!
November 30, 2018
a) A black cop infiltrates a white hate organization in Colorado in the 1970's--and it all really happened. Though this is presented more as a satire and parable.

b) If you're a thinking person who enjoys films that make you think, then this movie will make you uncomfortable. Lee uses humor to take you out of your comfort zone while telling a TRUE story of a police investigation in the 70s and drawing not-at-all subtle comparisons to the current climate in the western world where it's suddenly OK to march with a hate group again in the US and Germany.

c) Washington is really good in the lead role. At times he reminds me of his father, though he's not the same power house actor. At least not yet. Although I haven't had much opportunity to see him in films.

d) At this point I think I'd watch Driver do anything. I like him in Star Wars. I like him even more doing comedy, like this film or Lucky Logan. He has such a strange charisma on the screen.
November 30, 2018
In spite of great performances and a very capable director in the form of Spike Lee the film the film doesn't manage to veer away from the same old tired Hollywood clichà (C)s which leaves the film exposed, especially in the post-Get Out era. Aside from the lack of depth (the role of law enforcement in upholding institutional racism isn't even discussed, neither is the main character's own role in it) seeing history bent in such an extreme way simply to portray police in a positive light is very troubling.
November 30, 2018
Funny, sad, touching ... great movie!