Blacula Reviews

• Jan 16, 2021

Blacula's premise works on the assumption white audiences are scared of black people and vampires (in that order). Campy, but stylistic and entertaining. My toddler thought it was scary. He was screaming while I was laughing.

• Jan 15, 2021

At first glance, a movie with this tittle seems like a 5 year old child creation. Nevertheless, as the old saying goes, we can not Judge a book by it's cover. Blacula, using vampires as a secondary plot, brings an amazing discussion about racism and Police inconpentence, and most impressive, in 1972

• Dec 26, 2020

Cheesy Cheesy Black Vampires are bad bad bad!

Cheesy Cheesy Black Vampires are bad bad bad!

• Larry S
    Nov 05, 2020

Unique plot for a Unique Concept. Low Budget masterpiece First time viewer. This was quite good for a low budget film. Blacula's voice is fantastic and his acting was very good. The script was clearly written legititmately from the point of view of black culture from that time period. That's what I like the most about this movie: authenticity. And it had a great twist at the end. Most Dracula's have no love. They may have wives, but show no affection for them. They are all about seduction. Blacula was in love, which made him perform a self sacrifice at the end. This is unique of all the vampire movies. And it was not awkward. Blacula remained true to his character and motives till the very end. I was expecting something more cheesy. HIGHLY RECOMMEND

• Jun 09, 2020

William Marshall's gravitas carries most of the movie. This seems like a movie I would have found a lot more exciting if I had watched it as a kid and had nostalgia for it now. As it is, watching a PG-rated vampire movie with no blood and from nearly 50 years ago for the first time as an adult, it was worth a watch but it felt pretty slow. By now, horror fans (myself included) have been jaded by gory slasher movies and more vicious portrayals of vampires. The dialogue could have used some work too. At many points, this had the feel of a vampire film out of the 50s or 60s. Still again, worth a watch for those who haven't seen it and many rewatchings I imagine for those who grew up on it.

• May 17, 2020

William Marshall should do a part 3... i love this movie.. and with the graphics of today... it would be excellent

• Feb 07, 2020

Great film, tragic love story

Great film, tragic love story

• Jan 19, 2020

Distasteful, dated "humor" aside, it's got charm.

Distasteful, dated "humor" aside, it's got charm.

• Mar 29, 2019

Campy and entertaining, Blacula is a clever modernization of the Dracula story with events and characters that largely parallel the classic film adaptations somewhat more closely than Stoker's original novel. The film's approach to serious issues such as race relations, homosexuality, and the horror of a friend or loved one who becomes an enemy is, to some extent, a product of its times. Its fully embraces its status as an exploitation genre film, and its poignant and horrific moments are combined with gothic camp and intentional, sometimes off-color humor. Even so, Blacula is solidly constructed, with the dark shadows of traditional horror cinematography, an expressive funk and modern gothic score, and occasional expressionistic editing and sounds.

• Apr 28, 2018