Bonnie and Clyde - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bonnie and Clyde Reviews

December 19, 2017
Amazing. The entire film felt slow but it left a lasting impression on me.
October 14, 2017
Hit film with a very good cast has Bonnie & Clyde painted in more of the hero's role robbing banks and running from the law, which was unusual for the time. Maintains interest.
September 26, 2017
viewed on 18/7/04 (Sun)

They say Natural Born Killers is inspired by this 1967 movie. It does throw up a few gutsy surprises, considered made so long ago. Faye Dunaway walks around in the room with her upper back all bare. There is a scene suggesting oral sex. The final scene is rather painful to watch as Bonnie and Clyde are pigeonholed with, what the production notes state, 1,000 bullets.

The film is not really that great. More like a shoot-'em-up made for mass audience. There is not enough depth to the characters and story. Natural Born Killers does a better job in exploring the psyche of outlaws.

Sorry but I always marvel at how good the leading men and women look in these classics. Faye Dunaway is stunningly beautiful and she looked alot like Nicole Kidman. While Warren looked like Marlon Brandon and I am not surprised he drew inspiration from him.

They were so good-looking and so good as actors, I keep thinking contemporary actors like Nicole Kidman, Tom Cruise, Brad Pitt, Julia Roberts, Halle Berry etc will jolly 'live on' as screen legends and forever 'immortalised' in DVDs.

Rating: B
½ August 17, 2017
Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway both give excellent performances and have great chemistry together. They are also helped by a terrific supporting cast. The movie also benefits from a well written script that keeps the audience hooked all the way from beginning to end. It even has a few laughs here and there. Most are provided by the late Gene Wilder in his feature film debut. As great as the movie is, it does have a few minor flaws. The basic story of this film is that Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow are actually very good people at heart who don't mean to be ruthless robbers and killers. They were forced into their situation because the big, evil and heartless banks are hurting the little man and they want some payback. There is the formulaic scene where as they are robbing a bank, they let an elderly farmer keep the money he was planning to deposit because they want that bank's money, not his. We also get the scene where Clyde tells Bonnie's mother that they don't plan to lead a life of crime forever and hope to go straight. In away these flaws show the film's influence in the sense that we see echoes of these plot devices in future movies. The robbers don't want your money, they want the bank's money ("Heat" "Hell or High Water"). The banks with their evil ways of doing business force good people to do bad things (Again "Hell or High Water".). The bad guys promise to to become legitimate very soon ("The Godfather".). Despite these flaws, I say that this movie remains Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway's crowning achievement in their celebrated careers and is well worth seeing. Fifty years after the movie's original release, it is still just as powerful and entertaining now as it was then.
August 13, 2017
It's easy to understand why this is a classic: it's groundbreaking in its violence, unprecedentedly action-packed, and draws on many techniques that we had only seen in the French New Wave. But seriously, even films that it ultimately (if indirectly) spawned, like Badlands or The Sugarland Express, are better overall. This isn't true with all of them, in fact very few, but still worth noting. It's still really solid, with fantastic performances from adage Dunaway at her most stunning and Warren Beatty at his slickest, and great supporting roles. It has that great, bitingly funny edge to its depiction of America in the roaring 20's, which alternates between patriotic, shameless, and guilty.
August 13, 2017
The precursor to modern crime movies.
½ August 13, 2017
9.5 punt of 10:

Realistic, thrilling, and a great duo from Dunaway and Beatty, Bonnie and Clyde makes one of the quintessential gangster movies.
½ July 10, 2017
Not as great as its classic status but there are great moments. I don't think Faye Dunaway and Warren Beatty are that great together. Great actors but the film kind of forces them to stay together rather than it being natural. I'm probably in the minority here but the bank robbing movies around this time all somewhat have the same formula and this one doesn't stand out too much.
May 17, 2017
Though this film is perhaps more culturally significant than the film itself can really live up too it is still a solidly crafted, well acted and ultimately engrossing film. It also has great action with the violence being truly staggering in its brutality from a film from that time, a good score, looks great and has a few tense moments that are well conceived.
May 9, 2017
At the time I'm sure it was considered an outstanding movie, but it isn't one of the most exhilarating heist films.
April 20, 2017
I remember seeing the film for the first Around a decade ago as a teen & thought to myself there is something missing & I found it bizarre how I felt that exact feeling upon revisiting it early this week.

No doubt an interesting story of lawless & somewhat ruthless couple who meet in Texas in the depression & begin a tour across mid west robbing banks.

I found the structure & dialogue rather uneven & somewhat amateurish. May have had the impact it had due to the violence & intensity of the film. Interesting film but I found it inferior to other films of the genre. Fascinating to read that Warner Bros had so little faith in the film they allowed Warren Beatty to get 40% of Box Office...the film made over $60,000,000 in 1967!!
½ April 4, 2017
Another lost flixster rating
½ March 31, 2017
Besides the fact that Beatty and Dunaway are in their prime looks-wise, this is the worst movie. Within the first 10 minutes I knew I was going to hate this but I stuck with it and boy do I hate it. Meandering, charmless, pointless, awful dialogue, stupid flat characters, wasted potential, boring camerawork, bad editing, like do I have to go on? This is the most overrated film.
½ February 11, 2017
The chemistry is there between Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway in this noteworthy classic crime film. Rich cinematography and a strong soundtrack including "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" also make it worth watching. (First and only full viewing - 11/24/2010)
December 27, 2016
Excellent movie with incredible performances from Beatty and Dunaway
½ December 8, 2016
73%
Saw this on 8/12/16
Notwithstanding the outrageous overacting from Faye Dunaway, this depressing, melodramatic movie has some fine moments to it eventhough most of it is ruined by occational mood shifts. As a story of outlaws, this is not as interesting as say, Butch Casidy and the Sundance Kid.
October 23, 2016
Stunning, Enthralling, Action Adventure that is Ultimately Shocking - I LOVE this film for its nuanced acting, dreamy cinematography, comic slyness, and eye opening bravado.
September 14, 2016
Arthur Penn directs this film very well peppering in some very cool shots (the first time Clyde shoots someone through the car window is awesome), but the best part of the film for me was how the relationship of Bonnie and Clyde was depicted. Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway do such beautiful jobs of embodying these characters, who are very complicated in their own rights. Clyde does not want to have sex, Bonnie wants to do something other than be on the run forever, Clyde wants to look out for his family but at the same time Bonnie hates Blanche, etc. However, at the end of the day, these two really love each other more than anything and always come back to one another despite their conflicts, and the two leads portrayed that beautifully. Even though the film is about two bank robbers, it is a love story at its core.
September 4, 2016
One of the most influential films to ever come out of Hollywood, 'Bonnie and Clyde' is an intensely memorable ride from start to finish.
September 3, 2016
A great pairing in Beatty and Dunaway, with the always excellent Hackman in support. A timeless crime flick.