The Breakfast Club - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Breakfast Club Reviews

May 21, 2018
The Breakfast Club
By:John Hughes

Although it may be an older movie the ideas and views expressed in the movie are still relatable to most high school students and also to older viewers wanting to relate to their childhoods. To modern day high school students the culture and the things that were popular in the movie may be very different than what they might be interested in. The characters were very unique in their own way.Although they had very basic descriptions of the characters at the beginning of the movie throughout the development of the story and the progression of the movie you start to see that the characters are all much more than their basic descriptions given by the administrator in charge of the detention they are all attending. At the beginning of the movie it starts off with the parents talking to the kids and it gives another perspective and it also gives the characters backgrounds. The problems with their parents shows up later in the story when they are all talking. They figure out that although they may be labelled differently they are all still the same on the inside and are in some of the same problems. Also the problems they are having they can help each other through them. The acting throughout the movie was well done and even though they are teenagers all of the actors were very talented. I love the way in this movie the soundtrack told a story and it also added to the plot, the fades in and out of the music covering up John Bender screaming at Mr.Vernon was a beautiful touch. Everyone in this movie and on the movies crew did an amazing job, i would recommend this movie to anyone and everyone.
April 30, 2018
If you are a son of the 80s, don't you, forget about this movie.
April 24, 2018
just you and me..

The Breakfast Club

As much as powerful the screenplay is, John Hughes's attempt to install cheesy and petty inputs in characters to attract younger audience wears down the intensity and gravitas that it had created that easily would have helped it enter the major league. His directorial work is appreciative but deserved a better supervision compared to its script. The performance wasn't up to the mark which is the only thing that itches one down the throat in this old classic. The Breakfast Club is a typical teenage movie retold in the most intriguing way that it is almost impossible not to invest in it and be moved by it (no matter how much familiar their tales may sound but the impact doesn't grow shallow at all).
½ April 23, 2018
Viewing this film in the mindset of the year 2018, to me, does an extreme disservice to this film. The characters in this film, the nuances between them, the interactions between many of the characters and even the stereotypical teenaged angst they feel is more suited for 1985 then it is for today. Sadly, that means this film does not age well as we as a society have moved farther away from these kids and their issues. Even the pair of adults we see most in this film could not and should not be portrayed similarly in this day and age. Although the film is primarily shot in the library, you do not get a sense of enclosure due to the sheer size of the library and the various locations within the library the club have interactions. Dr. Phil would have the time of his life on these 5 children, their parents, the teacher and even the janitor. He would be able to book an entire year of his show on these characters alone. Yes, these are extreme caricatures of the 5 stereotypes of teenagers, but they still resonate enough to be relatable. The Princess, a girl who has everything but owns nothing. A girl who wants to be accepted by all but is deep down extremely flawed, damaged and emotionally unstable. The Jock, an emotionally volatile musclehead who simply wants his father to accept him and be proud of him. Does what others tell him to do because he seeks acceptance, no matter the consequences. The Brain, the emotionally stunted yet mentally gifted young man who has no identity. Desperately needs companionship outside of his family to know what belonging and failure feel like without condemnation and guilt attached. The Basket case, a young woman who has to be eccentric in order to feel normal. Refuses to fit in or conform in order to have a sense of self. A laundry list of issues and disorders that may or not be psychosomatic in nature. Last but certainly not least, the Criminal. The cynical yet damaged mind of a young man who makes all the wrong choices whenever confronted with options. Seems to want to change but does not know how to begin that process and is constantly confronted with overwhelming evidence that he is horrible, going nowhere in life and he seems to enjoy proving people right. Those 5 caricatures are front and center in this film for your enjoyment. This film is a must see for any teenager, even in today's society.
April 22, 2018
This movie is a true cult classic some people will like it, some will love it, and some will hate it. I found the film really funny and great how serious the band is even with the jokes going on I like the film though I didn't love it. It's still better than 90% of the crap out there. You can't go into a film like this expecting The Dark Knight Rises this film is to be looked at scene by scene and you need to notice the little things to get all the humor. The film has been rated as one of the funniest films of all time so it's definitely worth a watch.
April 14, 2018
a film to watch when your a teenager
March 12, 2018
One of my all-time favorite movies, and the best of the John Hughes movies (which is saying a lot). I love how it shows that even though they don't all get along, they standup for, cover for and defend each other vs the "adult/teacher/authority." They're quite aware of what they're going through.
February 23, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 19, 2018
A strong, formulaic film that's a great example for feel-good movies.

Trapped in a day-long Saturday detention in a prison-like school library are Claire, the princess (Molly Ringwald); Andrew, the jock (Emilio Estevez); John, the criminal (Judd Nelson); Brian, the brain (Anthony Michael Hall); and Allison, the basket case (Ally Sheedy). These five strangers begin the day with nothing in common, each bound to his/her place in the high school caste system. Yet the students bond together when faced with the villainous principal (Paul Gleason), and they realize that they have more in common than they may think, including a contempt for adult society.

"The Breakfast Club" is one of the most iconic films ever? Why haven't you watched it yet, Chris? Why not? My friends always ask me this. I'll answer with the fact that you don't need to see every "renowned classic" in order to be smart about films. In fact, since this film, it has been done a thousand times over. It's nothing special, but if you look back to what this film originally was, it's still executed great, and is surely one of the better films of its decade.

You got nothing different here. You have the jock, the queen, the nerd, the emo, and the outcast. You have every essential stereotype packed into one room and that's not different. The different is the small things in this film and the writing. The characters themselves are pretty self-explanatory and while they're not special, they're still written well. The characters have great dialogue and they certainly give solid performances.

The best thing about this film is the screenplay. It's a very well written screenplay with so much small jokes and great lines of dialogue. It's well crafted and I think it's really the core of this film. It'd be nothing without the small and minute details that makes it what it is. The film is simple but deep down, it's more complex. I think the screenplay was in the hands of the right person and it certainly was well structured.

In the end, "The Breakfast Club" still holds up well today. As someone who wasn't born in the 80s, I can't speak for this film and its impact back then. All I can do is compare to media today and it holds up pretty decently.
½ February 18, 2018
There are very few movies that get the high school experience right and thanks to the all star cast, John Hughes' direction, and memorable characters, The Breakfast Club is one of them.
January 31, 2018
An all time classic! Never gets old.
January 13, 2018
the breakfast club is every teenagers brain
½ January 3, 2018
Brain
Athlete
Basket case
Princess
Criminal

So nostalgic n don't you forget about me
½ January 2, 2018
I don't know why but it's one of ma fav's hehe
December 21, 2017
My favorite movie of all time! The simplicity of the story mixed with the complexity of the characters were perfect in making this a strong film with a lesson everyone should learn. We are all different but underneath all the same. We all yearn for love, acceptance, and understanding.
½ November 30, 2017
Now I understand everyone's infatuation with this movie.
November 12, 2017
I just didn't get it. I think where films have used this as s template in future films it felt like I'd seen this done elsewhere. I didn't really like where nothing really happened and didn't really get what made the characters bond.
October 29, 2017
Flawed conclusion, but still has well written characters.
October 26, 2017
I was actually not very impressed by it. I laughed a couple times in the beginning. But it turned it into a movie about kids complaining about their life which I'm not a fan of. Didn't really like the characters.
½ October 16, 2017
Teen angst at its best. Defines the 80's teenager which was me at 16. I was mostly like Allison the basket case.The last scenes are really melodramatic and over the top sentimental. One of my all time favorites.