The Breakfast Club - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Breakfast Club Reviews

April 14, 2018
a film to watch when your a teenager
March 12, 2018
One of my all-time favorite movies, and the best of the John Hughes movies (which is saying a lot). I love how it shows that even though they don't all get along, they standup for, cover for and defend each other vs the "adult/teacher/authority." They're quite aware of what they're going through.
February 23, 2018
1001 movies to see before you die.
February 19, 2018
A strong, formulaic film that's a great example for feel-good movies.

Trapped in a day-long Saturday detention in a prison-like school library are Claire, the princess (Molly Ringwald); Andrew, the jock (Emilio Estevez); John, the criminal (Judd Nelson); Brian, the brain (Anthony Michael Hall); and Allison, the basket case (Ally Sheedy). These five strangers begin the day with nothing in common, each bound to his/her place in the high school caste system. Yet the students bond together when faced with the villainous principal (Paul Gleason), and they realize that they have more in common than they may think, including a contempt for adult society.

"The Breakfast Club" is one of the most iconic films ever? Why haven't you watched it yet, Chris? Why not? My friends always ask me this. I'll answer with the fact that you don't need to see every "renowned classic" in order to be smart about films. In fact, since this film, it has been done a thousand times over. It's nothing special, but if you look back to what this film originally was, it's still executed great, and is surely one of the better films of its decade.

You got nothing different here. You have the jock, the queen, the nerd, the emo, and the outcast. You have every essential stereotype packed into one room and that's not different. The different is the small things in this film and the writing. The characters themselves are pretty self-explanatory and while they're not special, they're still written well. The characters have great dialogue and they certainly give solid performances.

The best thing about this film is the screenplay. It's a very well written screenplay with so much small jokes and great lines of dialogue. It's well crafted and I think it's really the core of this film. It'd be nothing without the small and minute details that makes it what it is. The film is simple but deep down, it's more complex. I think the screenplay was in the hands of the right person and it certainly was well structured.

In the end, "The Breakfast Club" still holds up well today. As someone who wasn't born in the 80s, I can't speak for this film and its impact back then. All I can do is compare to media today and it holds up pretty decently.
½ February 18, 2018
There are very few movies that get the high school experience right and thanks to the all star cast, John Hughes' direction, and memorable characters, The Breakfast Club is one of them.
January 31, 2018
An all time classic! Never gets old.
January 13, 2018
the breakfast club is every teenagers brain
½ January 3, 2018
Brain
Athlete
Basket case
Princess
Criminal

So nostalgic n don't you forget about me
½ January 2, 2018
I don't know why but it's one of ma fav's hehe
December 21, 2017
My favorite movie of all time! The simplicity of the story mixed with the complexity of the characters were perfect in making this a strong film with a lesson everyone should learn. We are all different but underneath all the same. We all yearn for love, acceptance, and understanding.
½ November 30, 2017
Now I understand everyone's infatuation with this movie.
November 12, 2017
I just didn't get it. I think where films have used this as s template in future films it felt like I'd seen this done elsewhere. I didn't really like where nothing really happened and didn't really get what made the characters bond.
October 29, 2017
Flawed conclusion, but still has well written characters.
October 26, 2017
I was actually not very impressed by it. I laughed a couple times in the beginning. But it turned it into a movie about kids complaining about their life which I'm not a fan of. Didn't really like the characters.
½ October 16, 2017
Teen angst at its best. Defines the 80's teenager which was me at 16. I was mostly like Allison the basket case.The last scenes are really melodramatic and over the top sentimental. One of my all time favorites.
October 1, 2017
File this one under the already scant list of movies that I'm shocked I didn't love. Now, don't get me wrong; I don't dislike it. It's just that there's something a little slapdash and thrown-together about the structure here. Something almost piecemeal about the central line of action (or lack thereof, rather) that really made me buy the fact that Hughes wrote this in such a short period of time. The matrix of character relationships, however, is what makes this movie really sail by, and the respective performances from Nelson, Ringwald, Hall, Estevez, and Sheedy all really do help in the end. Again, not a movie that I didn't like, just one that I feel hype may have ultimately undercut for me overall.
September 14, 2017
excellent movie it defined a generation
September 14, 2017
Yes, the characters are very stereotypical and kind of off-the-peg, but I, at least, can forgive that for one reason and one reason only. The cardboard cutouts are so well acted by the young cast. I would even say that most of the praise for this movie that John Hughes received actually belongs to The Brat Pack. It's they who take Hughes's clichà (C)d script and make it watchable, and not nearly as jarring and annoying as it would otherwise have been.
September 10, 2017
My favourite movie, good script and perfomances, a score that is just beoutifully envolved, and obviously the school movie cliché we all love to see, the story of diferent types of guys that can make a weird but grat team.
August 25, 2017
A timeless classic that anyone who's ever been to high school can relate to.