The Breakfast Club - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Breakfast Club Reviews

August 17, 2017
A great movie about the way teens look at authority and how people from different social groups can really connect and find out they are not really different after all.
½ August 13, 2017
The breakfast club is a long awaited film from the 80's that I've finally got around to seeing. Was it what I was expecting? Definitely not! In fact, it was nothing to do with having breakfast at all, but instead an all day detention that starts very early on in the morning. 5 students, all with opposite appearances and backgrounds must put up with each other over the course of a few hours, within the confides of a library. Knowing little about one another other than what is judged from face value, the 5 soon start quizzing one another instead of opting to write the essay they have been assigned. The deeper the questioning becomes, the more they realise they are not that different at all, only that they choose to portray a certain image as a way of dealing with their personal issues. This movie depicts a very truthful and realistic viewpoint of the effects that home life and peer pressure can place on a student, and how different their life could be if they chose to live through their own path rather than someone else's. On the face of it, this can be perceived as a very boring film, with no action, and too much dialogue, but once you listen to each of the characters, there's probably one we can each relate to, which captivates us more. For some an infamous film, this is far from what I expected, at first a little bemused by the content, but soon appreciating the clever mind that created it. Definitely a recommendable film, but just perhaps not one which you would be thrilled by watching over and over again.
July 31, 2017
A quintessential coming of age movie from the 1980s, The Breakfast Club broke ground and created a genre that has often been mimicked but seldom been done better. It follows the exploits of an unlikely group of high school students who have been put into a detention one Saturday morning. The 5 pupils are stereotypes (the geek, the prom queen, the rebel, the jock and the emo) and wouldn't normally have anything to do with each other. Here, however, they are forced to spend time together, work out their differences and forge friendships. Masterfully directed by John Hughes this is the "Go To" film of the the era. I was surprised on a recent rewatching just how little music there was. My memory had the movie jam-packed with hits from the time. Still, the Simple Minds theme tune is a classic and just helps the memories, of those of us of a certain age, come flooding back. Definitely something of a time capsule, if you've never seen it, it's a movie worth seeking out. The only aspect that is today a little cringe making is the last few scenes where the group couples-up and Ally Sheedy's "alternative" character gets the all American makeover courtesy of Molly Ringwold's bobby socks character, Claire. This was a movie that defined and reflected a generation and is still good today.
July 30, 2017
Although almost all of the characters are archetypes aimed at advancing the narrative, The Breakfast Club nonetheless features some committed performances, an appropriately memorable soundtrack, and some legitimate, accurate insight into the adolescent experience.
July 26, 2017
Although not a gripping story line, or anything close to one, The Breakfast Club holds lots of laughs, and is an enjoyable movie for teenagers.
½ July 26, 2017
If you're going to have a film about a captive characters least make the interactions interesting
½ July 20, 2017
The Breakfast Club (1985) is about 5 high school students from different cliques who create a camaraderie while trapped in weekend detention. Thanks to fantastic young stars & a great script providing insight into the teenage brain; everything about The Breakfast Club is so real. Unlike most teen films, there's also nothing cloying about The Breakfast Club. It's commendably sincere as well as funny; it has integrity. The Breakfast Club is an intelligent film with insightful statements to make on the issues that continue to be so important for teens today. The Breakfast Club stands out as a teen film with something intelligent to say. It's an examination of teenage angst and social pressure. The Breakfast Club's simple and understated filmmaking allows the enthusiastic cast delivering the excellent script to carry the film along. It really worked; The Breakfast Club is, indisputably, one of the best teen films ever made.
July 14, 2017
One of the best 80's movie I've seen, amazing story line and amazing actors, love Judd Nelson's character, bender.
½ July 13, 2017
Great american classic about teenagers at that time. Worth watching.
½ July 13, 2017
Finally got around to watching this cult classic. Not going to keep you gripped or full of action and drama but a very interest and wise film
June 17, 2017
This movie makes me wish I was a teenager in the 80s. It's so funny and so awesome. One of the greatest movies of all time, insanely hilarious!
June 16, 2017
One of the best 80s teen coming of age films. The cast is amazing. Its super fun and it has a great soundtrack. Its a definite classic. An awesome watch.

Rating: 10/10
May 31, 2017
Smart and time breaking, "The Breakfeats Club" is one of the best movies I´ve ever seen. Even being from the 80´s the movie have a contemporaneous theme that is stereotypes, and it´s about breaking them. Not just to see, but to also think.
May 26, 2017
Yes, the characters are very stereotypical and kind of off-the-peg, but I, at least, can forgive that for one reason and one reason only. The cardboard cutouts are so well acted by the young cast. I would even say that the most of the praise for this movie that John Hughes received actually belongs to The Brat Pack. It's they who take Hughes's clichà (C)d script and make it watchable, and not nearly as jarring and annoying as it would otherwise have been.
May 22, 2017
Definitely a classic tale of teenage struggles. Amazing to watch with friends and after watching it once, you'll want to watch it 100 more times!
May 13, 2017
We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all.
½ May 8, 2017
Simply amazingly good
May 7, 2017
Has a better screenplay about teenagers even been written?

The answer is a big no. This is a masterpiece.
May 6, 2017
I absolutely loved it as a teenager. Now, it seems a tad whiny. Still, Judd Nelson with fist in air amidst Simple Minds. Hard to beat. Still love it for the nostalgia aspect.
April 27, 2017
Puts you in the shoes of the characters and makes you remember vividly being a teenager in high school.