The Breakfast Club - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Breakfast Club Reviews

½ November 30, 2017
Now I understand everyone's infatuation with this movie.
November 12, 2017
I just didn't get it. I think where films have used this as s template in future films it felt like I'd seen this done elsewhere. I didn't really like where nothing really happened and didn't really get what made the characters bond.
October 29, 2017
Flawed conclusion, but still has well written characters.
October 26, 2017
I was actually not very impressed by it. I laughed a couple times in the beginning. But it turned it into a movie about kids complaining about their life which I'm not a fan of. Didn't really like the characters.
½ October 16, 2017
Teen angst at its best. Defines the 80's teenager which was me at 16. I was mostly like Allison the basket case.The last scenes are really melodramatic and over the top sentimental. One of my all time favorites.
October 1, 2017
File this one under the already scant list of movies that I'm shocked I didn't love. Now, don't get me wrong; I don't dislike it. It's just that there's something a little slapdash and thrown-together about the structure here. Something almost piecemeal about the central line of action (or lack thereof, rather) that really made me buy the fact that Hughes wrote this in such a short period of time. The matrix of character relationships, however, is what makes this movie really sail by, and the respective performances from Nelson, Ringwald, Hall, Estevez, and Sheedy all really do help in the end. Again, not a movie that I didn't like, just one that I feel hype may have ultimately undercut for me overall.
September 14, 2017
excellent movie it defined a generation
September 14, 2017
Yes, the characters are very stereotypical and kind of off-the-peg, but I, at least, can forgive that for one reason and one reason only. The cardboard cutouts are so well acted by the young cast. I would even say that most of the praise for this movie that John Hughes received actually belongs to The Brat Pack. It's they who take Hughes's clichà (C)d script and make it watchable, and not nearly as jarring and annoying as it would otherwise have been.
September 10, 2017
My favourite movie, good script and perfomances, a score that is just beoutifully envolved, and obviously the school movie cliché we all love to see, the story of diferent types of guys that can make a weird but grat team.
August 25, 2017
A timeless classic that anyone who's ever been to high school can relate to.
½ August 25, 2017
The Breakfast Club has a fantastic cast and is one of John Hughe's best films. The Breakfast Club is not at all I thought it was going to be. It shows that people outside of your friends circle are not so much different after all. This is a must see film for all ages.
½ August 23, 2017
Wonderful, memorable film. I feel watching this is a right of passage to "growing up"
August 17, 2017
A great movie about the way teens look at authority and how people from different social groups can really connect and find out they are not really different after all.
½ August 13, 2017
The breakfast club is a long awaited film from the 80's that I've finally got around to seeing. Was it what I was expecting? Definitely not! In fact, it was nothing to do with having breakfast at all, but instead an all day detention that starts very early on in the morning. 5 students, all with opposite appearances and backgrounds must put up with each other over the course of a few hours, within the confides of a library. Knowing little about one another other than what is judged from face value, the 5 soon start quizzing one another instead of opting to write the essay they have been assigned. The deeper the questioning becomes, the more they realise they are not that different at all, only that they choose to portray a certain image as a way of dealing with their personal issues. This movie depicts a very truthful and realistic viewpoint of the effects that home life and peer pressure can place on a student, and how different their life could be if they chose to live through their own path rather than someone else's. On the face of it, this can be perceived as a very boring film, with no action, and too much dialogue, but once you listen to each of the characters, there's probably one we can each relate to, which captivates us more. For some an infamous film, this is far from what I expected, at first a little bemused by the content, but soon appreciating the clever mind that created it. Definitely a recommendable film, but just perhaps not one which you would be thrilled by watching over and over again.
July 31, 2017
A quintessential coming of age movie from the 1980s, The Breakfast Club broke ground and created a genre that has often been mimicked but seldom been done better. It follows the exploits of an unlikely group of high school students who have been put into a detention one Saturday morning. The 5 pupils are stereotypes (the geek, the prom queen, the rebel, the jock and the emo) and wouldn't normally have anything to do with each other. Here, however, they are forced to spend time together, work out their differences and forge friendships. Masterfully directed by John Hughes this is the "Go To" film of the the era. I was surprised on a recent rewatching just how little music there was. My memory had the movie jam-packed with hits from the time. Still, the Simple Minds theme tune is a classic and just helps the memories, of those of us of a certain age, come flooding back. Definitely something of a time capsule, if you've never seen it, it's a movie worth seeking out. The only aspect that is today a little cringe making is the last few scenes where the group couples-up and Ally Sheedy's "alternative" character gets the all American makeover courtesy of Molly Ringwold's bobby socks character, Claire. This was a movie that defined and reflected a generation and is still good today.
July 30, 2017
Although almost all of the characters are archetypes aimed at advancing the narrative, The Breakfast Club nonetheless features some committed performances, an appropriately memorable soundtrack, and some legitimate, accurate insight into the adolescent experience.
July 26, 2017
Although not a gripping story line, or anything close to one, The Breakfast Club holds lots of laughs, and is an enjoyable movie for teenagers.
½ July 26, 2017
If you're going to have a film about a captive characters least make the interactions interesting
½ July 20, 2017
The Breakfast Club (1985) is about 5 high school students from different cliques who create a camaraderie while trapped in weekend detention. Thanks to fantastic young stars & a great script providing insight into the teenage brain; everything about The Breakfast Club is so real. Unlike most teen films, there's also nothing cloying about The Breakfast Club. It's commendably sincere as well as funny; it has integrity. The Breakfast Club is an intelligent film with insightful statements to make on the issues that continue to be so important for teens today. The Breakfast Club stands out as a teen film with something intelligent to say. It's an examination of teenage angst and social pressure. The Breakfast Club's simple and understated filmmaking allows the enthusiastic cast delivering the excellent script to carry the film along. It really worked; The Breakfast Club is, indisputably, one of the best teen films ever made.
July 14, 2017
One of the best 80's movie I've seen, amazing story line and amazing actors, love Judd Nelson's character, bender.