Breathless - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Breathless Reviews

½ September 29, 2017
It is terrific. And hard to describe.
½ September 18, 2017
Spoiler Warning: This Review Will Contain Spoilers

When this film was originally released, it was very revolutionary. It is also, arguably the film which started the "French New Wave" movement. It is very influential, and it has had a huge impact on cinema. I had a couple issues with it, but overall, it was a pretty impressive film, and I'm glad I watched it.

After a small time car thief named Michel Poiccard shoots and kills a policeman, he reunites with a love interest named Patricia Franchini as he attempts to convince her to run away with him to Italy, all while trying to avoid the cops.

This is arguably one of, if not the most influential movie of all time. It has made many contributions to cinema that have been used again and again in other movies. When it was originally shot, the filmmakers attempted to film it differently than how most films were shot. They used real locations instead of man-made sets and it was filmed in mostly natural lighting. Raoul Coutard, the cinematographer of the film, said "When we were shooting Breathless, we tried to film it the way news reports were shot, i.e., with a handheld camera and natural lighting. In other words, for me it was very much like filming in the heat of battle." Also, since the cameras they used were very loud, Jean-Luc said the lines to them as he filmed it, and he edited their voices into the film later. These differences made it stand out from other films.

However, what this film is perhaps mostly known for is its use of jump-cuts or discontinuity editing. Jean-Luc got the idea for this in director Jean Rouch's 1958 film: "Moi, un Noir". Jean-Luc was a huge fan of that film, and it's credited as a major influence for this film. However, Jean-Luc gave his own interesting twist to this concept. Instead of jumping from one scene to another, he would cut short clips out of the middle of scenes to shorten the films running time to 90 minutes instead of just removing entire scenes altogether. This caused some of the scenes to skip from moment to moment. This gave some of the scenes in the film a jagged and fast-paced feel. Essentially, what Godard did was take an already existing cinematic technique and add his own, unique style to it to spice it up or to change it around in an appealing way.

Also, since Jean-Luc didn't have that big of a budget, being that this was his first film, he had to make use of what he had and try to find clever ways to cut down on cost. Godard had to film in locations that he already had access to, use cameras that he already had access to (the entire film was shot by using handheld cameras), and he hired people he knew to help work on the film. Often, he would film on the streets of Paris without any permits. At some parts, cinematographer Raoul Coutard would film scenes while sitting in a wheelchair as he was pushed along by crew members.

I've spent a lot of time discussing its influence, but now I'm going to talk a bit about what I think of its story.

I thought that it was really interesting how Michel was slowly able to gain Patricia's trust as the film went on. At the same time, Patricia had to decide whether or not she should stay with him or inform the cops that she knows where they can find him. As the 2 made their way through Paris, there was always a slight amount of tension since Michel's face is everywhere in papers. Also, people often happened to be reading them when he would be going by. There are also a few scenes in which people recognized him, and he had to escape the area quickly.

However, there are 2 flaws (mostly minor ones) that I had with its story.

The first one is a minor complaint towards its intro. I felt like it rushed the entire intro scene when he steals the car, murders the policeman, and meets up with Patricia. It seemed very fast-paced to a point where I could hardly keep up with it. I wished for it to slow down a bit to an enjoyable pace. I was a bit worried that the entire film would be like that. Fortunately, it wasn't, but my complaint here does not vanish despite this.

My second issue with the film is not as minor as the first one, but it bugged me a little bit more. This complaint is about the predictability of the films ending. After Patricia informed Michel that she did tell the cops where he lived, and that they were coming for him, it became clear to me what was going to happen next, and I was instantly able to figure out how it would end. It became obvious which direction the movie was going to head in next. I wished that they revealed it in a less obvious way than that. For example, they could've revealed it right when they were about to drive away, and the cops could show up right after that revelation. My issue might still exist in a few remnants, but it wouldn't be nearly as glaring.

In conclusion, I really liked this film, and I can respect it for its huge influence on cinema history. It did many things different from most other films, and it showed that you don't have to follow any rules when writing films. I did have a couple issues with its intro and outro, but other than that, I liked everything else about the film. I can understand why it would be brought up on "best movies ever made" lists and I'd probably add it too if I made one. It has had a huge impact on cinema history, and I can respect it for what it's done.
August 2, 2017
Breathless deserves its apt comparison to Citizen Kane. They were both boldly original for their time and their influence can still be seen today. I personally have a hard time connecting to this movie, finding the characters unrelateable and not much happening on the surface between the beginning and end. I find it more interesting as a study of characters who are unable grasp the magnitude of their actions (1960 audiences probably would have found the characters casting off of conventions appealing). There is a lot of interest just beneath the surface as well. Such as when Patricia stands next to a picture of a pretty woman and asks who is prettier, we learn she is only skin-deep. Michel, the killer, on the other hand in the next shot is seen next to a poster of a man with a mask, we learn subtly his tough persona is a facade for a desperate man. Breathless deserves multiple viewings to take it all in.
½ July 18, 2017
a 1961 film watching in 2017 so cant judge it. But looks like the elements are seen everywhere in neo-noirs of recent times.
June 26, 2017
Good movie. It wasn't amazing, but still pretty good. I get what Godard was trying to do with the loose narrative, the shaky hand held camera work, and all the real people (non-extras) in the background. But it didn't really captivate me like other movies do. Yeah, this movie probably changed cinema forever but it didn't amaze me.
May 4, 2017
Deeply flawed - the film looks it was shot with a high-end home video camera, the shots are lazy, the dialogue is almost like a Q and A (two statements relating to each other and then they move onto another subject), and the acting is annoyingly spontaneous. But in a way, this all adds to the film's style. It's so much damn fun to watch that I find it irresistible.
April 12, 2017
A great movie that dramatizes a first love through well crafted scenes, fun dialog, and intellectualism.
April 4, 2017
Hard to watch another film once this mould breaker enters the subconscious. Fantastic drive using masterful editing. A genuine classic.
February 18, 2017
i was really excited to watch this movie when i first heard of it, heard great directors, actors, people saying how good it was so i had high expectations
but when i saw it last night i was really
disappointed it was a decent film but it definitely not that great, hated a lot of
things, like the lead character always

asking to have sex, every word comes out of his mouth is filth , acting wasn't that great, if u wanna see go for it but don't expected to be that great.
December 3, 2016
Godard clearly designed Jean-Paul Belmondo's Michel Poiccard a character to fall in love/eroticism with, but since I just watched David Hemmings' Thomas a few months ago - Poiccard falls short, sadly.
November 9, 2016
Tries to be cool and forgets to be interesting or engaging.
November 8, 2016
I don't know what was so good about the movie. I found it very boring. The main male character also annoyed me. He just kept begging for sex for most of the movie. Very annoying.
November 7, 2016
Probably the most angsty film ever made, Breathless does a whole lot of nothing while managing to deliver a poignant and affecting finale and groundbreaking usage of film techniques.
½ September 28, 2016
Considered by many critics as the film that birthed the famous New Wave of Cinema regardless of that its an entertaining film dripping of style & unique cinematic invention.

The story of a petty criminal who murders a police officer in a moment of rage & finds himself on the run. Inspired by Bogart's Hard-Edge Character he tries to woo a naive Young American Woman.

Filled with new camera techniques & clever flowing natural dialogue this was so far away from the Hollywood Formula. A breakthrough film of Jean Luc-Godard & fantastic French Film.
August 23, 2016
Enjoyable. Although instrumental at its time, it appears to lose some of its magic now without the benefit of being a movie buff to pre-Breathless movies.
August 5, 2016
This Movie, a triumph of the French Nouvelle Vague, marks a turning point, not only for the Director, Jean-Luc Godard, but for anyone who sees it. The plot, though intriguing, is secondary to the incredible presentation. Use of hand-held cameras and jump-cuts (where the director cuts from one angle to a shot of the same angle two seconds later, a stylistic effect that can show freneticism or boredom) were revolutionary at the time, yet can still surprise and delight today.

Jean Seaberg is excellent, with the nicest accent you'll ever hear, as are the supporting cast, all rounded stereotypes. But the leading man outshines all the others. A virtuoso display from Jean-Paul Belmondo as Michel Poiccard makes the viewer swoon and scorn in equal measures. He doesn't make it easy for us to empathize with him, yet we still do, and in doing, we feel we have earned something.

Revolutionary. Brilliant. Oh so pretty.
July 21, 2016
Atmospheric but frankly dull, though that may well be the point of the French new wave. Great as a projected background for appropriately themed pub nights.
July 18, 2016
A twitchy, self-consciously quirky film, Jean-Luc Godard's premiere feature has gone on to influence a wide variety of films, and still stands an entertaining, light-on-content, heavy-on-style little romp that, thankfully, seemed entirely unawares of how much it would end up influencing cinema, and therefore feels gratefully devoid of pompous posturing or illusions of grandeur, but is, in the end, more flashy spangles then depth of content.

Clocking in at a mere 90 minutes, Breathless is a film that lives up to its name by keeping a brisk, kinetic pace, and keeping things simple and stripped down to the bare bones. It's plot is minimalist, with a lackadaisical thief named Michel Poiccard (Jean-Paul Belmondo), who, after stealing a car, manages to shoot a police officer, sparking a manhunt. Determined not to go to jail, he manages to hook up with his ex-girlfriend, an American student and aspiring journalist, Patricia (Jean Seberg), who seems to treat him with a stand-off aloofness. The film then follows his attempts to seduce her to run away with him to Italy, before she eventually decides to inform the police about his whereabouts. The cops arrive, and while a friend of Michel insists he take a gun, going as far as to toss it into the street for Michel to pick up, Michel refuses, seemingly viewing jail a better option. He goes to pick up the gun, only managing to get shot, stumbling several dozen meters before collapsing, dying from his wound.

Godard keeps the minimalistic, barely-there plotline moving by his innovative use of jump-cut, combined with a general sense of laid back irreverence. It's not a film that takes itself seriously, nor does it seem to feel it has any grander message. The conversations the characters have about the nature of love, and human relationships, feel oddly tongue in cheek, almost as if Godard is making fun of the trope of intense philosophical musings. His camera work is loose and unpolish, hand-held camera following everyone around, either letting the scene play out with minimal edits, or instead hopping through time moment by moment, to give the illusion of the abrupt passage of time.

The acting from Seberg and Belmondo is sedate and unpretentious. They feel real and naturalistic, and their interactions have a lazy, familial chemistry between them. It helps tie the film together, especially since there isn't much real plot to speak of, more just a sequence of loosely connected events, blended with café-hipster musings on romance and love.

And, in a way, that's how this film feels. While undoubtedly innovative and enjoyable, one can still get an undeniable sense that Godard is trying just a mite too hard too be different and to break cinematic conventions. There's always a sense that Godard brings up an thematic idea, or a motif, only to intentionally and deliberately subvert it and deconstruct it, if only for the sake of deconstructing it. It's so minimalist, it just ends up feeling like it really doesn't have anything to say, since there's so little in the way of real plot or character development.

Compare, for example, Ingmar Bergman's masterpiece, Persona, a film that is equally deconstructive and genre-busting, but with the added depth of Bergman's disturbingly intense meditation on Jungian psychology. The moments of deconstruction and fourth wall breaking (such as the film literally grinding to a halt and exploding, or the smash edits of disturbing imagery), feel like a visual interpretation of the character's psychological state, and as visual metaphor for the themes of how humans consistently put on artificial masks and personalities in order to better keep up appearances.

Meanwhile, in Breathless, Godard seems to twist and bend the cinematic medium around simply because he can, and I'm not sure how it reflects on the narrative or thematic elements, mostly because the narrative and themes are so thinly drawn.

But, nonetheless, the film is entertaining, and, thanks to the short running time and fast, hyper-caffeinated pace, doesn't feel burdensome or like a waste of time. If you approach it as a pure popcorn film that just so happened to choose to take a deconstructive route, then it's a gem. Just don't try to read subtext into it when there really isn't much there.

I suppose 3 out of 5 will suffice. Entertaining, but ultimately ephemeral.
½ July 10, 2016
I liked it well enough but I was expecting more.