Bride and Prejudice Reviews

• Dec 17, 2018

It suck ass. Could not watch whole thing no good, bad bad.

It suck ass. Could not watch whole thing no good, bad bad.

• Nov 24, 2018

Bride and Prejudice is a take off of Pride and Prejudice, with lots of bright colors that catch attention. The mother of the family strongly wants her daughters Lalita and Jaya to get married. Jaya ends falling in love with someone named Balraj, who is very nice. Lalita meets Balrajâ(TM)s friend, William Darcy, who is an ignorant American man who has no appreciation for Indian culture initially. However, they wind up falling in love in the end. I enjoyed the film, although I would not watch it again on my own time. My first impression of Bollywood movies was that they were really colorful. I have never seen a Bollywood movie before, so I was not sure what to expect. When the movie started, it was very clear that the colors were a lot brighter than the typical Hollywood film. The women in the movie, such as Jaya and Lalita, were always dressed in warm, vivid colors, like pink and yellow. However, William Darcy is usually dressed in neutral tones, for example, light blues and tans. This probably symbolizes the difference in cultures between America and India. The use of music was very interesting as well. There was a lot of dancing and partying, more so than in classic Hollywood movies. Their weddings are more lively, and more traditional than American weddings. For example, Mr. Kholi and Balraj participated in a traditional dance at the first wedding in the movie. In America, we have certain traditions like the father daughter dance, and the first dance between the newly weds, but nothing as intricate as I saw in the movie. I learned a lot of differences in our cultures. The families in the movie seemed to prioritize family values over anything else. For example, the mother is always pushing for the daughters to get married, specifically to someone wealthy. That was interesting, because in America, it seems as though people do not care as much about who their children marry, and no one ever pushes their children to wed before they are ready. This idea is foreign to me, but not bad. The closeness of the family is greater than one of the average American family, or of my own, which appeals to me. Besides that, I am not sure what else I learned from the movie. Honestly, the whole thing felt vaguely American, almost like a Hollywood musical with Indian elements. The director did not do a really good job in presenting a truly authentic Bollywood film. I really did enjoy watching the movie, but I do not think I would watch it again on my own time. I found it sort of unoriginal, and the plot felt very predictable. I am not much of a âmusicalâ? kind of guy, so the music did not make up for the plot. All and all, I would give this movie two and a half stars, because while the movie was vaguely entertaining, the plot was very predictable and I do not think that it truly captured the essence of Bollywood.

• Nov 20, 2018

Bride and Prejudice is unlike any other film I have ever seen. Directed by Gurinder Chadha in 2005, the film follows the journey of four sisters from Amritsar and their complex search for marriage in a country caught between customary and modern customs. Bride and Prejudice explores ideas of cultural division, arranged marriages, and forbidden love. The movie is inspired by Jane Austen's renowned 19th century novel, Pride and Prejudice. Chadha puts a modern twist on the story and includes both Western elements and classic Bollywood features. I personally liked the film and I thought it was a nice introduction to Bollywood films for someone who was curious to explore new types of movies yet remain in their comfort zone. The film could be enjoyed by both Hollywood and Bollywood fans alike. Besides taking place in Amritsar, it also had musical numbers, dancing, traditional clothing and ideals, and Indian film tropes that incorporated Bollywood elements into the film. Personally, I think that if the songs had not been in English, it would have contributed a lot to the film. It would have added a deeper meaning to the music and shown more creativity and culture. However, I still think it was a great intro film to Bollywood culture. Bride and Prejudice was my first experience with a Bollywood film. I was drawn to the drama of the movie - drama I had never seen before in any Hollywood movie - and it kept me interested and paying attention to the movie. Within seconds, the entire dynamic can change, such as when Lalita learns that Darcy convinced Balraj not to be with Jaya. The costumes are beautiful and intricate, unlike the ones I have seen in Western movies. It is apparent that much thought was put into the choreography and the lyrics of the musical scenes, and the lyrics contain deep meaning that applies to the plot of the film. The acting is dramatic and thought-provoking, and the actors seem to be truly passionate about their roles. This film taught me many things about Indian culture. I learned about the stereotypes and struggles of arranged marriages, and the conflict it can create between parents and children. Watching this film, I also empathized with those searching for arranged marriages, as it can be extremely difficult to trust one's parents with one's relationship and future. The issue of social classes and stereotypes was revealed to me as a very relevant problem plaguing many relationships in India. The director did a fantastic job at showing the emotions of the characters in the story, which created a connection between the actors and the viewers. Bride and Prejudice also showed me what is and is not considered acceptable in Bollywood films. For example, physical intimacy on screen plays a huge role in Western movies and television. In Bride and Prejudice, there were far fewer scenes like those in American movies, and they were nowhere near as explicit. Overall, I think Bride and Prejudice is an amazing movie that serves as perfect balance between Hollywood and Bollywood films.

• Nov 19, 2018

Bollywood films combine all of the usual western film genres and pack it all into one. In bride and prejudice, the Bollywood spin off of pride and justice, main character lalita is joined by her sisters as her parents try and find them wealthy successful husbands. When lalita meets American will Darcy the first conflict of culture is shown, Darcy denies a dance with lalita. From that moment on the film picks up and incorporates more and more Bollywood elements but still keeps it under the western film category. I really enjoyed this action packed, comedic musical. I feel that it is perfect for showing the Bollywood genre in an American way. It combines traditional Indian culture and film making with the western theme and does it perfectly. It keeps the Bollywood characteristic of having many genres but also adds more western style drama and acting scenes. I felt it was perfect in the middle as a western Bollywood film. I feel that I learned a lot about arranged marriage. It isnï¿ 1/2(TM)t just a blind set up in most cases. This film shows it as more of an approval than having no choice at all. I do feel although that the film didnï¿ 1/2(TM)t teach enough about the culture of the parties and weddings. Specifically their dances and beliefs. All in all it was a great film.

• Jul 12, 2018

Bride and Prejudice is a nice bollywood take on Jane Austen's famous novel. It is fun, colorful and flamboyant and features the ravishing Aishwarya Rai as the main lead. Martin Henderson from New Zealand is more than competent as Darcy and holds his own even in dance sequences. Watch it for the Indianized flavor that the director Gurinder Chadda infuses this old tale with.

• Jun 10, 2018

It reminded me a lot of Fools Rush in with Salma Hayek and Mathew Perry, both are about two different people of different cultures who fall in love despite the approval of said families. Even tho it's sappy in parts and the music was a bit meh I still loved it ,plus I'm a sucker for a good romance and the entire time I only wanted them to kiss but it never happens! still wonderful tho

• Apr 29, 2018

Have you ever seen a movie about someone trying to resist a forced marriage set upon them by their parents or any other love story involving two people that don't get along with each other at the beginning? This is primarily the plot of Bride and Prejudice. Directed by Gurinder Chadha, the film is about a family with 4 daughters. The mother eagerly wants her daughters to get married to the perfect suitors so she constantly goes out to seek them. The oldest daughter, Lalita, does not want to have a suitor chosen by her parents. Rather, she wants to choose her husband and see if she loves him and he loves her back. She finds a number of different men but one in particular named William Darcy is different from the rest and the movie follows them and their building relationship. I personally did not find this movie appealing at all. It wasn't terrible but it's not something I would watch again. The acting felt very cheesy and forced at times, almost like if it was out of something like a Disney channel movie or any generic live-action sitcom with cheesy acting. The other thing I didn't like about the movie was the story. Talk about generic and predictable. If you've seen a movie with this kind of story before, then you've seen Bride and Prejudice already. Boy meets girl, they don't like each other at first, they have a moment which causes them to get closer and form a relationship, event happens which causes them to break up, boy comes back to apologize to girl and they make up, boy does something heroic to win girl's respect for him (in this case, Darcy saving Lakhi from Wickham's cunning plans), boy and girl fall in love with each other in the end, and it's a happy ending. This makes the story not very interesting or unique since it's been done by so many studios. The only thing I did like from the movie was the soundtrack since it was so catchy and upbeat most of the time even if the lyrics sounded and felt a little awkward at times. Other than that, I don't recommend watching this unless you're really into music and even if you like music, I recommend just watching this once. This is the first Bollywood movie I've seen and my first impressions are that these kinds of movies seem to rely more on the musical aspect than how the characters deliver their lines or how the scenes are played out. I've watched multiple clips of other Bollywood movies on YouTube and a lot of them seemed to have a lot of musical moments and not a lot of dialogue. This movie, however, had a lot of dialogue and while the music was catchy, there wasn't too much like in a traditional Bollywood movie. This movie had a lot of cultural elements with the story being based in India and revolving around an Indian family. The sisters seem to look out for each other a lot. However, the movie portrayed the mother of the family as this woman always looking for someone rich and wealthy to marry their daughters. This was seen when Mrs. Bakshi invited this wealthy Indian man from California that was in their distant family to meet and possibly fall in love with one of their daughters. The only one to actually care about the daughters' happiness in life was the father. While the mother wouldn't speak to the daughter if she didn't marry the rich man, the father wouldn't talk to his daughter if she did. That's a man I can respect. I think the director did at least portray a decent family relationship with the sisters, but I feel he didn't portray some of the couples too well such as Darcy and Lalita and some of the plot points didn't quite help like when the woman Darcy's mother planned for Darcy to marry just shows up out of nowhere to make the two break up. Overall, I give this movie a 5/10.

• Apr 25, 2018

This film has transformed me from a Bollywood hater to a Bollywood lover. Bride and prejudice is a Bollywood film set in India. Two men William Darcy and Belraj, leave the United States and London to come to India for one of belrajs guy friends weddings. On the other hand, a very native Indian family also attends this wedding as friends of the bride. This family consists of 4 single daughters, especially lalita and jaya trying to get married. When both groups meet it sparks a whole journey of love, betrayal, prejudice, and redemption. In the end Darcy and belraj marry Lalita and jaya for a happy ending. As stated earlier I loved this film. This was my first experience with a bollywood film. Coming into it I was very skeptical about the way the film was going to appear. Music videos during a story? It doesn't sound like my cup of tea. But as the film progressed I started to like the music videos during the story. The songs were catchy and the dancing in unison was enjoyable to watch. While the extreme emotion and drama was annoying at times, the story made up for it. This film did follow the traditional Bollywood plot of the guy trying to get the girl. I learned many things about Indian culture from this film. The first thing I noticed from this film is that they like to wear bright colorful dresses, and like to dance. Another thing I learned is about the dancing with sticks. It was really cool to watch a dance like that. Another thing I learned is that weddings are massive events for the entire community. One thing that surprised me the most about Indian culture is that arranged marriage is not forced in most cases. I had always thought that. I think that the director portrayed Indian culture correctly.

• Apr 24, 2018

The best of both worlds. That is what you think of when you hear Bride and Prejudice. The film displays an Indians families hopes for the search in marriage for the daughters. The movie starts off with two men, Darcy and Balraj, that come to India in hopes of finding Balraj a wife. They search the country and end up in the Bakshi home. Balraj instantly falls in love and Darcy doesn't take too long to follow. The rest of the movie goes on a crazy ride for love and marriage. Overall, Bride and Prejudice is a very well developed film that has a great balance between Hollywood and Bollywood. This was my first experience with a Bollywood film and it was a very interesting, but amazing experience. Usually when I watch an American film, the film has something for everyone, but when I see Bollywood films, they are directed more for one type of audience because of all the Indian culture. Also, when I watch an American film I am always ready for the excitement, and the action, and suspense but with bollywood films, they are mostly singing and dancing. Bollywood films are filled with at least 5 songs, which to me is completely different than the movies I am used to watching. Another experience I had with Bollywood genre is the fact that the characters in the films never kiss or have any sexual interactions. The only thing that happens in Bollywood films is the implication that something happens. To me, this is very different, because in American film, there are scenes in the movies that show sexual interactions instead of having the view guess about what happened. Overall, I still believe that Bride and Prejudice was a great combination of the Hollywood and Bollywood genre. The film had lots of singing and dancing, but yet it was able to relate to many different cultures because of the American and Indian characters. One major thing I learned about the culture elements in the film is how important family is. In the movie, Mrs. Bakshi wanted everything to be perfect for her daughters. She wanted them to find a husband and get married. When her daughters were at first not able to find the right husband, she was sad because she wanted the family to be together, and for the family to continue to grow. Also, in the film when the Bakshi family was talking with Darcy, Darcy spoke about how nice it was for their family to always be together. He also mentions how his family is never together anymore because his mother is always traveling and staying at their hotels. This shows that family is a very important element to the Indian culture. Another important culture element I learned about that relates to this is how important marriage is. In the film, marriage was what the daughters were all searching for. To the mother, she felt that the daughters should find a man and marry him and then form a relationship, while the daughters wanted to make sure that they truly loved them before getting married. Lalita was a great example of this. Her mother was trying to set her up with a rich man just so they could be wealthy too, but Lialita didn't want to get married to just anyone. She wanted to find the person she truly loved and cared for. This shows how important marriage is to the Indian culture and how it brings together the family throughout the whole process.

• Apr 24, 2018

Sitting on your living room couch bored out of your mind and you ask yourself, "what possible movie genre could I watch that isn't boring like life itself?" And then it pops up in your mind; Bollywood movies. Bollywood movies not only have a plot but also are more engaging, colorful, dramatic and interesting. Just the perfect fit for passing a couple of hours enjoying your time instead of wasting your time. Bride and Prejudice is a Bollywood movie about an Indian family looking for a young, illegible man to marry their oldest daughter Jaya. In the ruckus of finding a man for Jaya, Lalita the second oldest daughter who falls in love with Balraj's friend, William Darcy who is a white American. They have their ups and downs throughout their relationship. Darcy is unknown to the Indian culture and learns/experiences what's it's actually like to enjoy and celebrate other cultures with the limited time he spends in India. Overall I liked and enjoyed the movie, however having seen Bollywood movies before, Bride and Prejudice was not completely a traditional Bollywood film. Bride and Prejudice is not a traditional Bollywood film compared to other Bollywood movies. First of all most of the film was in English with Punjabi here and there. All the characters spoke English, no matter what their social status was. (I'm not saying that people that are poor can't speak English because even though English is a common language, sometimes rich people that aren't American don't know English). I think that the director almost fails at making the film a little realistic in this element. Another point I wanted to bring up was the song choices. While I do agree that this film had many songs like any other Bollywood movie it fails at portraying the real traditional Indian songs. The only Hindi song I can recall is from the very beginning of the film and the very end scene. The rest of the songs were in English which honestly made me cringe at times. What I learned from the film is that the Indian culture is just like any other culture with a little spice in it. Instead of making out on screen, the actors stare at each other, not like a staring competition but it's more intense. A sign of love which doesn't have to be expressed physically. I think that the director did a great job of bringing the vibrant colors, and dance to life which isn't as easy as it looks. Also I'll have to give it to the director for directing the actors to produce such an amazing dramatic acting. For example the dramatic turns when Lalita and Darcy have an argument. Or the dramatic music playing in the background. Overall I enjoyed the film itself not taking in notice of the western ideas squeezed into the film.