Broken Reviews

• Mar 19, 2019

Great little film, possible try's to do too much in terms of issues covered and cast of characters but I found the covering of mental health issues particularly compelling.

• Jul 08, 2017

It was a powerful indictment of humanity versus the Catholic Church's views on suicide, homosexuality, and human frailty. I was truly moved by Sean Bean and the rest of the cast and their lives in a impoverished parish. It reflects that love and kindness is truly what it means to be a Christian-not judgement and lies.

• Jan 24, 2017

Wow, the reviewers really got this one wrong. 63% at this point? Insanve when you look at some of the 95%+. What is a critic anyway -- they're just like the gym teachers of journalism (sorry P.E. teachers, there were a couple good ones). Maybe the critics couldn't stand their attempt to modernise (like that? British spelling) The Catcher in the Rye -- as if it were some national treasure. For whatever reason, they miss the great mixture of humour, sadness, adolescent confusion, and the darkness of madness. Perfectly paced and filled with interesting shots, this film has just the right balance of themes to make multiple viewings such a pleasure. The ending was a but corny, I will admit. But she has a choice between life and death and that's how they chose to portray it. It's such a short segment that it can be easily forgiven.

• Jan 30, 2016

A solid indie, but I found it hard find a character or storyline to care about.

A solid indie, but I found it hard find a character or storyline to care about.

• Jan 24, 2016

Good film until the ending which was absurd.

Good film until the ending which was absurd.

• Dec 29, 2015

A lighter tone narrative for such a frustrating story. Abnormal but powerful.

A lighter tone narrative for such a frustrating story. Abnormal but powerful.

• Sep 08, 2015

Very gritty, I love how it ended. The Oswalds were protective of only each other and cared about no one else, but at the end it seems like the man repented for his actions, even though it was his daughter's/his fault that Rick turned out that way - and I love how they did that. Nothing he could do could ever really repent for the things he did to other people. Eloise Laurence is an AMAZING actor, she was so natural and I love the kids that play in gritty films like this, becausee more often than not they know how to act 'natural.' She's just amazing.

• Sep 04, 2015

WHOAAAAA there's a movie that just takes you away on a journey of all kinds of mysterious emotions you never thought you could have imagined and when it's all done, you feel a better person cuz you know you are just that much more open to the world unknown. A MUST watch for movie lovers...not movie watchers...L.O.V.E.R.S!!!!!

• Aug 28, 2015

I'm not really sure what led me to watch this film, on a chilly,rainy afternoon, nonetheless. Perhaps it was because I rate Tim Roth's performances; or because the lead character had Type I Diabetes, like my sister. Whatever the reason, the story sucked me in and ate me up whole. It uncovered many bitterly sad revelations, which were merely commonplace. Perhaps the effectiveness stems from that commonplace reality. The idea that such tragedy could be taking place on Any Street in Any Town, sours upon the tongue and makes you cringe with realization. Eloise Laurence, who plays the disparagingly nicknamed Skunk, is a great, little actress. She could definitely go far after such a serious casting as this. Tim Roth does a fine job, of course, but definitely does not carry the weight of the film on his shoulders. I found it impossible to stop thinking back on this film for days, even though it would have been more pleasant to forget. It affects you; and yet you may not be prepared for that all consuming despair.

• Aug 08, 2015

This was great; the story is dark and compelling and the visual is appealing. A young girl is going to end up in the hospital, possibly dying, but we don't know how. It builds dread but keeps things uncertain enough that it's unclear exactly how it's going to end. The ending doesn't feel quite right for the style of movie, but didn't change my overall opinion. There are a few scenes that make this, possibly, not safe for parents.