Bullets Over Broadway - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Bullets Over Broadway Reviews

October 7, 2016
A dazzling back-stage comedy with a moving moral message.
½ October 1, 2016
A great and funny homage to both theater and film, even if it might not've found the right resolution to cap off all the madness.
September 11, 2016
Not a whole lot to say about this one other than it's fun and it made me laugh. In terms of performances, some are great, others are too manic and shouty, but overall it's pretty enjoyable.
June 20, 2016
Bullets Over Broadway is a truly hysterical film from writer/director Woody Allen that features great turns from John Cusack, Chazz Palminteri, and Jennifer Tilly. With great production and costume design, Bullets Over Broadway is an elegantly crafted period comedy. Featuring Allen's typical smart, quick, and witty dialogue, Bullets Over Broadway manages to remain funny throughout its entire run time while also bolstering it with a smart plot. With a plot that mirrors the plot of the play in the film, Bullets Over Broadway offers interesting looks at love and how it is to be loved, as well as romance in general. Overall, Bullets Over Broadway is a great film from Woody Allen that is smart, funny, and entirely charming.
April 10, 2016
First Woody Allen movie watched.
Perfectly acceptable and easy watch with good tone and tempo.
December 13, 2015
Fucking loved that film!!!
September 3, 2015
Easily one of Woody Allen's best films, he captures zany caricatures of players, writers, and even gangsters in this 1920's satire when commercialism mixes with art. David Shayne won't have his new play changed in any way, but can only get it produced when a crime boss wants to please his woman. Chaos ensues. From the Sunset Boulevard like actress who wants a comeback, a compulsive stress eater actor, all of the personalities clash in hilarious ways. The movie is fast, funny, sometimes violent, but always a treat. Bullets Over Broadway is Allen at his prime.
August 23, 2015
One of the best movies I've ever seen. Chazz Palminteri is a revelation. Jennifer Tilly is hilarious. Dianne Wiest shines her brightest. One of Woody Allen's top 3 masterpieces.
June 26, 2015
"Bullets Over Broadway" is not as well plotted as some of Woody Allen's other movies, but it works well as both a gangster film, and a comedy about the unfortunate reality of show business.
½ May 24, 2015
Scripted and directed by Woody Allen, the masterpiece portrays a caricature of backstage of Broadway plays humorously and ironically. Every character is strong, vivid and lovely without falling into a stereotype probably because Woody Allen's artistic script/direction and outstanding performances of the actors. It is interesting that Woody Allen's own life must be projected on this movie starting with the line 'I am an artist' starting and ending up with 'I an not an artist' just like it is projected on his other works.
May 10, 2015
I'm not a huge fan of this movie, but it is well worth seeing for Diane Wiest and Jennifer Tilley's performances.
½ April 25, 2015
It started off very slow, i fell asleep in it the first time, but i did rewatch it and it did end up a very good movie. I have to admit Chazz Palminteri really made the move, playing a gangster that end up giving writing tips to the writer and helping out the play in the biggest way
April 5, 2015
The mafioso,show bussiness worlds in the eye of Woody Allen.Charming,funny performances.
March 15, 2015
Una de las mejores comedias de Woody...
½ February 23, 2015
The roaring 20's always brings out the best in Woody's work. While it's still the usual story about a struggling writer, what's different here is the struggle. Instead of an angsty ego, David actually has a gun in his ribs. I don't think there's been another movie of his with so much modern violence, with about a dozen gangland hits throughout. Written with such wit and exuberance this is a joy to watch.
The real praise here must go to the cast. John Cusack in a natural fit at delivering the Woody one-liners without just doing an imitation of the director. Jennifer Tilly is spectacular as the dumb, fiery, talentless dancer who perfectly balances Dianne Wiest's boozy broadway burnout, Helen Sinclair. Both were nominated for Best Supporting Actress, which Wiest won. Chazz Palminteri is the biggest highlight of the movie as Cheech, the mobster who's seen so many rehearsals that he become a script doctor. His good ideas trump David's and the playwright realizes that 'Cheech' is a genius trapped in a goon's body. Tracy Ullman, Jim Broadbent, Rob Reiner round out the rest in probably one of the best-cast movies of the director's career.
Overall, this is one of his best works simply because it's such a breath of fresh air. Especially the little moves that set this apart from the rest of the comedies in his cannon: a successful, age-appropriate relationship, an optimistic ending, deadly antagonists, and an ending in the streets that is reminiscent of his "earlier, funnier work." A delightful watch, not just for Woody-philes.
½ January 18, 2015
Manhatthan murder mistery y esta son las mejores pelìculas de Woody Allen de los noventas.Una de sus mejores comedias!
January 10, 2015
Hilarious mafia film.
½ October 24, 2014
As my first Woody Allen film, I enjoyed it immensely. It was a fun, charismatic meta-theatre that hilariously turns into a mob film.
October 18, 2014
I quite enjoyed this movie, even though it does seem to drag in some parts. The actors made the movie interesting and Woody Allen wrote a witty script which was more dramatic than funny. The concept, which is based around a writer producing a play with the pressure from the mob to cast a bad actress, wasn't bad and I have to give credit to the cast, who all put in great performances. The actors who play the gangsters, seem to be in every gangster movie that comes out, but they made movie enjoyable, even though the movie wasn't totally based around them. I have learnt not to have high expectations for movies nowadays so when I see a well made movie, I end up enjoying it even more. This movie is well put together by Allen and he portrayed the period well, even though the storyline is a bit silly in parts. In all, it's a average movie with some good scenes and good performances, but it could have been a better movie if it didn't have the comedy element. Average!

This film definitely wouldn't have worked if Woody Allen was in it. He seemed to cut out the silly lines, which I have seen in many of his movies, which is why the film really did work. John Cusack was good as the lead, but it was Dianne Wiest that made me laugh. She was playing a role that was completely out of her comfort zone, but she played it well, especially when she kept on telling John Cusack to Shhhh! Tracy Ullman also played her role well alongside Jim Broadbent, and I enjoyed the whole gangster side to the film. Personally, I was expecting a typical Woody Allen movie about sex and troubled relationships, but this film wasn't that bad and I must admit, I did stay interested throughout.

Budget: $20million
Worldwide Gross: $13million

I recommend this movie to people who are into there Woody Allen movies about a play writer whose determined to get his play on Broadway with the help from the mob. 6/10
September 27, 2014
Moral to the story: you may have to sacrifice dearly for the sake of good art. The pertinent quote, from Sheldon Flender: "Say there was a burning building, and you could rush in, and you could save only one thing: either the last-known copy of Shakespeare's plays or some anonymous human being. What would you do? You cannot deprive the world of those plays."