Butter - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Butter Reviews

½ July 30, 2017
I found this mock-comedy funny for the most part. It tried to be a little to serious and should have embraced its off the wallness more (in my mind). I liked seeing the sculpting butter parts of the movie and the scenes involving Olivia Wilde.
½ July 29, 2017
There's always this thing that people say, that I believe can sometimes be bullshit, that everyone is good at something. That everyone has some sort of talent. I don't think they say that they're the only person that can do this thing, whatever it may be, because that would be preposterous. I mean I guess there's a certain truth to that, that everyone must have something that they're good at. I guess what I find to be bullshit sometimes is the fact that not everyone can make their talent into something that pays off monetarily. I mean you can try, but it might not work. Let's say someone is very good at making their farts sound like current popular songs. You can't make any money off that shit (quite literally), all you can hope for is that you go viral with this silliness. This brings us to this flick, which focuses on butter sculptors. Yes, you heard that right. People who make sculptures out of butter. Doing some research on this, this seems to be an ancient tradition of Tibetan Buddhists, so that's not bothersome. It's a religious ritual/tradition, so I completely get it. What I mean is actual competitions about butter sculptures that take place in America and other places of the world. Like, what's the appeal of it? Don't get me wrong, I realize that it takes talent to be a butter sculptor, I would never say it doesn't, but I still don't really get it. But that's neither here nor there. The film tells the story of this ambitious woman, whose husband has won the State Fair butter sculpting competition 15 years in a row, who decides to entire the competition once her husband is forced out to make way for a 'new' generation. She enters the competition as does this 11-year-old girl, who's in Iowa staying with her new foster parents. That's, really, what the movie is about essentially. Well, it's really about Laura (the ambitious woman in question) and her machinations to game the competition in her favor and to screw this little girl out of what was a legitimate win during their first competition. There's a few other elements here, like Laura's husband, Bob, having an affair with this stripper/hooker and her wanting Bob to pay her the money he owes her. Afterwards, she meets up with Bob's daughter and ends up doing stuff with her, so the money she's owed is actually doubled. Parts of me, at the time this was occurring, wondered how this was relevant to the main narrative of Destiny (the little girl) vs Laura, but those questions were answered later on. The film definitely has a satirical tone, but, if I'm being honest, outside of a few chuckles, the movie is never as funny as it probably fancies itself to be. I like Laura's desperation to keep herself in the running for the state fair by fucking someone in order to get him to lie about Destiny's sculptures and how he helped her. Laura, pretending to be shocked at this accusation, then asks for a rematch. Laura wants the social status that comes with winning the state competition. Yes, really. This is a bit weird, though, cause during the first competition, these people sculpted their butter out in the open. Spectators came and were able to see them doing their thing with the butter. So how do they expect this claim to fly? I guess it's a bit of a moot point, since Destiny agrees to the rematch anyway, regardless of the fact that there's no proof to support Laura's claims. It is what it is and I guess they had to have another competition, since the first one is over, like, 45 minutes into the movie. The movie isn't bad, I'd say that it's average at best, but it's just missing something. The tone is certainly easygoing enough, for a satire, but there's nothing really biting about this film. Laura is portrayed as a conservative and devoted wife who says racially insensitive things about Destiny (who happens to be black) and that's just it. There's not much to her character, really. And there's not much to Destiny either, she's just an adorable little girl with abandonment issues. The casting is really strong, really. I cannot complain about that in the slightest. I'm not even gonna go over everyone that's in this movie, cause then I'd be here forever. But I love Kristen Schaal and Ty Burrell and that's all you really need to know. Again, though, I never found that the film found a consistent comedic tone and that held it back to me. I think it plays it a little safe and tame with its satire. I felt that if it went all out, in my opinion, it might have ended up being a good movie. As it was, I felt it was only average at best. I certainly didn't mind watching this, in the slightest, but I wish it would have been better. I'm sure others will like (and dislike) this more than I did, but this was just a perfectly fine movie. I didn't feel like I wasted my time with this, even though I wouldn't say it's a good movie. Watch it if you must, but there's better movies out there that are worth your time. Like Here Alone, if you like post-apocalyptic dramas with a hint of horror I mean.
½ July 27, 2017
Yes, it's a smug movie and only occasionally funny, really, but the satire isn't misplaced.
July 23, 2017
This movie is AMAZING. Stop what you're doing and go watch it right now. It's on Netflix so you have no reason not to. If you don't have an account you probably have an uncle who does. Anyway, this one has it all. Jennifer Garner, strippers, sex-induced car accidents, sabotage, rescission tension, Alice Cullen from twilight makes an appearnece or two, and yes-lots of butter. 5 out of 5 butter-carved stars for this freaking masterpiece.
½ July 14, 2017
Everything was going smoothly until the white writer just couldn't help himself with the lazy narrative and micro aggression stereotype of, "Mother must have died from drugs" routine.
½ March 1, 2017
Keep expectations low and it's a fun entertaining film.
½ December 31, 2016
It's good movie to watch
December 24, 2016
Did not understand why it was rated R, probably because it has a lesbian kiss scene in it and the rating board is known be homophobic.
Simple premise a wealthy middle class woman wants to beat a child in a butter competition.
Not a masterpiece but a good light hearted satrical comedy with a random appearance by Wolverine.
August 8, 2016
A thoughtful, funny sweet movie with great characters and acting. LOVED it! I can't imagine anyone not enjoying unless you're missing a heart. Total thumbs up!
July 4, 2016
Ridiculous, absurd & an amazing cast!
June 29, 2016
There are some tongue in cheek comedic moments in this film, but it falls short of being a comedy. It's more of a melodramatic smorgasbord of dysfunction, more cringe worthy than laugh worthy.
June 15, 2016
'Butter' walks the line between raunchy and emotionally charming better than most. It has a top of the world cast, some playing amazingly against type, and a plot sooooo mundane that it elevates the quirky humor perfectly. I enjoyed it... and if you like subtle, character driven humor... you should too.
June 7, 2016
Sold as a drama yet played as a comedy, this film succeeds in neither. The premise is unique, but the characters feel flat no one seems to really get invested in themselves or motivations. A shame, as the film is packed with star power.

Well at least we got a sex scene between Olivia Wilde and Ashley Greene, so that's nice.
May 19, 2016
Weird combo of comedy and drama. Some funny parts, but ultimately not enough.
April 2, 2016
A silly but cute and heartwarming story about a little foster girl who wins a butter sculpting contest.
September 8, 2015
They got me at Ty Burrell.
June 21, 2015
On sent qu' il ne faut pas se mettre en travers du chemin du personnage de Jennifer Garner....
June 8, 2015
What an odd movie.... Strangely is not the worst movie I've seen.
½ May 4, 2015
The best parts are the scenes involving butter.