Byzantium - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Byzantium Reviews

June 21, 2016
Very stylish and well acted vampire saga.
May 22, 2016
At last something comparable (although different) to Interview with the vampire. Must see.
May 1, 2016
lost interest.......
½ August 8, 2015
watched the first half an hour and turned it off. so boring.
April 7, 2016
Neil Jordan made an art-house film about werewolves in Company of Wolves, turning the Red Riding Hood story into a darkly erotic gothic horror. He's tried to repeat the trick for vampires here, and nearly succeeded.

Over a fairly measured (slow?) 2 hours, he tells the tale of 2 female vampires, who are able to exist in sunlight, and blood-let as much through a fang-like nail as with the more traditional teeth. There are strong themes of men exploiting women for sex, and women getting their own back.

Gemma Arterton and Saoirse Ronan are great in the leading roles, both vulnerable and defiant in their own way, but none of the supporting characters do very much to provide a strong counterpoint for their story, which means it can all flag, more than a little.

There are some excellent scenes and a lot of craft in the film-making, but it perhaps feels like less than the sum of its parts...
March 26, 2016
Great story. It serves its purpose as a one off with no need for fleshing out, even though much is left to the imagination as far was wondering why such a "shrine" exists, for example, or what is the history of "The Brotherhood".
About that shrine, I found it intriguing that such a fantastical and ominous facility would exist on an island outpost far from human habitation. It isn't a device used in any other vampire myth or story of which I am aware.
There are no scares here, only drama and dark fantasy. It's nearer the art house end of the horror spectrum. I do recommend it.
½ March 22, 2016
Sexy and creepy, but somehow it manages to remain slightly boring, and lacking a standout element.
March 6, 2016
A wonderful movie about motherhood, time, and being a vampire.
½ February 8, 2016
One of the better vampire movies that bring the genre back from the mawkish love stories of recent decades to their rightful place as the ruthless beings they are supposed to be.
½ September 1, 2013
Strange Irish slow movie about a mother and her daughter struggling to survive as vampires in our society.
November 29, 2015
Two female vampires move to a coastal resort and start developing relationships but also find their present day lives are linked to their past.
½ November 16, 2015
something a little different. worth watching on the weekend, mid-day, when you don't feel like doing much else. Gemma is hawt.
November 13, 2015
Too long to see Caleb.
½ April 28, 2014
"It's as if Mary Shelly & Edgar Allan Poe got together and had a very strange little child"~ my favorite, very fitting line of this story. I am not one to like Horror for Horror sake, there must be a story that is to my mind feasible, this had one not just worth watching but one that compelled me throughout like a Bram Stoker or Mary Shelly work where the undead is still quite human.
November 1, 2015
When I think of vampire movies, I tend to think Gothic: Dracula, capes, etc., although I know some other probably think more Emo: the Twilight crowd.

This, I felt, falls somewhere in between.

These vampires can walk around in the day, and are centuries (2) old, but the film is more about vampire angst (never thought I'd say those two words together!) than what you would normally think.

Slow moving and creepily eerie, but doubt I'd be in an hurry to watch it again.
November 1, 2015
This is one of the best vampire movies I have seen in a long time. Neil Jordan seems to have a talent for them.
October 31, 2015
I was surprised by how much I liked this film. Dark, moody, with some costume history thrown in. It's a different spin on the vampire story involving a secret "brotherhood", only one way (and location, which seems oddly close to England) to become a vamp, and this variety walks in daylight! Big hints at end of a sequel - I do hope they make another.
October 31, 2015
Pretty decent telling of vampires, wish it could have dug deeper into the origins but a 2 hour movie can't cover it all.
October 26, 2015
Neil Jordan return to the vampire tale with this elegantly understated story that boils down to a rather simple coming of age story. Saoirse Ronan and Gemma Arterton pair a pair of vampires living and hustling their way through modern day London. Arterton preying on the underbelly of society posing as a stripped and prostitute. Ronan preying on the elderly and offering those a peaceful end who are ready to move on. To reveal much more would spoil the elegant way the story and characters unfold and are slowly revealed. Jordan directs the film with style, but as usual takes the time to develop well rounded characters. This film si somewhat hard to categorize, because it is certainly a vampire story, but this is not exactly a film that would appeal to gore-hounds or your stereotypical horny teenage horror fan. This film is really too intelligent and character driven to appeal to that demographic. However, this film is also likely too bloody and genre focused to appeal to Jordan's usual art-house crowd. But Jordan has done this before with his sexualized adult version of Little Red Riding Hood with "A Company of Wolves." I'd place his other vampire story, "Interview with the Vampire," as more solidly fitting into the horror genre, although it was more character focused than most. So if you're interested in an intelligent character driven vampire tale that's essentially a chamber piece, but with some quite bloody scenes, you should check this film out.
October 15, 2015
Under appreciated horror film. Beautifully shot with a compelling story and an interesting spin on the traditional vampire myth. Gemma Arterton and Saoirse Ronan create mysterious, empathetic characters whom you want to spend time with. A hidden gem.