Café de Flore - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Café de Flore Reviews

April 11, 2016
Transcendental ... Haunting in a good way.
August 22, 2015
Amoral story. It seems that two unrelated stories were strangely linked together.
The love of down children which are supposed to be past life of people in the other story help to justify lustful love affairs. I cannot see how the new love of Antoine can be beautiful because he just thinks about sex with the blond girl all the time. Some movies inspire you and want you to make a good life. This one gives the opposite result. It makes me feel that society nowadays is so disgusting (if people choose to use this kind of reasoning to solve their problems). It really undermines the meaning of marriage and family and exalt lust.
January 8, 2015
An amazing film. I highly recommend this one. Directed by the man who directed 'Dallas Buyers Club' and 'Wild'. Slow beginning but a great piece.
November 10, 2014
Amazing film. The way the editing, cinematography, music, mystery and confusion all play to build on a tale as old as time. A kind of gothic romance. An archetype of love.
October 25, 2014
An intriguing and attractive puzzle of a film made with enormous skill and heart and successfully survives its brush with spiritualist mumbo jumbo.
October 19, 2014
Another movie where most of the female characters exist solely for the lead male. This movie infuriated me on so many levels. The reincarnation idea was so contrived. Equating a woman who was betrayed by her husband to a controlling mother who can't let her son go and then have that wife apologize to the unfaithful husband is definitely some kind of male fantasy of how things should come together. Is it so hard to believe that the woman would be devastated? Honestly, what kind of connection did Antoine and Rose seem to have throughout the movie. Without her body and all that hair tossing I don't think there was an actual character there. The scene where the older daughter calls her father an asshole: I wanted more of that. The scene where the father calls Antoine out as an asshole in prayer: I wanted more of that. This movie was some kind of cheating husband wish fulfillment. Even the character of Jacqueline, who had so much promise in the beginning, devolved into a 'mommy dearest', a caricature. And the scenes where Carole sees Antoine as a boy. Uggh. Freud is dead! I can say that Vallee created a thoroughly loathsome character in Antoine and I can only hope that the plane did explode in that last scene and that Antoine was on it.
October 18, 2014
A very cool French / French Canadian Indy film with lots of jump cutting and weird camera shots. It's work to follow but ultimately rewarding. Vanessa Paradis is great as usual. Amazing performance from the wee boy too.
½ September 19, 2014
Ambitious cross time period stories that might have worked a lot better if it wasn't so dreary and downbeat throughout.
½ September 7, 2014
For a truly excellent film by this director, I would recommend C.R.A.Z.Y. While this film had some beautiful scenes, it did not come together well at the end, whereas C.R.A.Z.Y. stays strong throughout and wraps up expertly. Dallas Buyers Club is another good film by this director.
August 25, 2014
Superlative elliptical drama, wonderfully acted and intelligently constructed.
½ June 18, 2014
Café de Flore [Canada, 2012] That's one crazy parallelism. 7.5/10
June 16, 2014
Beautiful, mystical, mythical and true.
½ April 25, 2014
Truly a superb movie experience.
The imagery is amazing, the story is there but first and foremost, this may have the best usage of music I have ever seen in a film. So many great songs, most of them being a great part of a scene.

We follow two stories, the connection is not easy to figure, but it's well melted together in a sublime way. One story follows a kid with downs and his mom back in the sixties. The other story follows a DJ and his seperation and all the things that include. This story seems to be set in 2010-something. I like both of them, but I belive that the biggest piece of the film, the DJ, is my favorite. Cool that he got that Pink Floyd-track as standard closing track by the way.

It's all done pretty artistic, still very down to earth. Great useage of colors and the camera work is super. Very good editing and even with it's slow pace it won't bore you. You want it to go on and you will have a relaxing journey until it's all over.

This got almost everything I want from a film, maybe a bit more touching stuff could be in this mix, but that's about it. An elegant and mesmerizing film and a must for both film and music lovers.

9 out of 10 vinyls.
½ February 25, 2014
This was a confused film. I read a review by Alex Peterson that takes the filmmaker to task for the lack of coherence between the two narratives and the film's desperate attempt to be "sexy" (the same can be said for the protagonist Antoine, the 40 year old DJ) This is true enough. I also find the "experimentalism" of the film to be cloying. It adds little, but only further muddies the story-line--which is a middle-aged man dumping his wife for a younger woman. The film suggests (though, like the entire film, without confidence) that ultimately the ex-wife must accept her role as mother to her husband and apologize for his leaving her. The second narrative concerning a Parisian mother and her Down Syndrome child carries the emotional weight of this "mother narrative" while the ex-wife makes a connection to this narrative through dreams, drugs and yoga. While I enjoyed watching it I ultimately found it disappointing.
½ January 21, 2014
PAINFUL AND TEDIOUS!
January 20, 2014
Amazing atmospherics (light, photography, music, sounds, textures, emotions) and two (one?) beautiful stories that pull you in. A must see!
½ October 5, 2012
This film kicks arse, especially mine. Watching it now. Wrenching but beautiful. So touching and accurately on the mark when it comes to love, mourning, and guilt. How is it that the French are so clever at keeping parallel stories so disconnected and unobvious?
December 4, 2013
Visually stunning and emotionally powerful-- with just a little bit more, it would have been a perfect film, much like it's spiritual cousin, Mr. Nobody.
½ June 30, 2013
So. I don't quite know yet if I liked this. For about an hour and a half, it's a lot of scattered time jumping with two unrelated stories. One of a woman in 1969 Paris taking care of her Down Syndrome son. The other a man in present day who cheats on his loving wife and basically everyone hates him except his new lover. Then, within the last twenty minutes, you get why they are connected, and essentially what this movie is trying to say. Which, I will say was interesting, but I think it came just a little too late. By the time the big reveal happened, I didn't care about the modern day storyline, and it all just seemed like a big metaphysical excuse to cheat on your wife. Now, all that being said, I really enjoyed the acting. I thought it was well done across the board. The cinematography was also really interesting. In the end, this is interesting, and will spark a few discussions, but I just wish it wasn't so scattered.
September 22, 2013
It was a good decision we made to skip this at TIFF last year. If only we had stuck to our guns...