Captive State Reviews

• Oct 26, 2019

Movies have to make sense, explain in some way, shape or form what is happening on screen and why it is happening. Movies also have to have a level of consistency to keep you invested, which means you must set up and get to the climax. "Captive State", however, avoids all of the above.

• Oct 24, 2019

This movie just strings you along for an hour to thinking that you will find out what’s the big point and how did things come to be, BUT your not told, movie is just a big string along, nice action tho

• Oct 24, 2019

A tantalizing conceit with provocative political implications—far from futile, resistance against oppression and exploitation and hegemony is fundamental, even if it takes the form of terrorism—gets squandered by muddled cinematography and a lack of character development, leaving you in something far less than a captive state.

• Oct 19, 2019

Makes no sense and the whole movie builds up to something that never happens.

Makes no sense and the whole movie builds up to something that never happens.

• Oct 12, 2019

Seeing the ratings (before the fakes ones joined) my expectations were very low, but hey, it wasn't that bad. Disappointing, yes, but not below average, pretty much right in the painfully average category. First of all, the positive things about "Captive State" include decent, fit-for-a-post-apocalyptic-story cinematography, decent sound and video editing & an arguably great original score. The acting was fine all around, the problem was how the characters were written. However, shamefully, Vera Farmiga has little screen-time & John Goodman doesn't get much to do, despite being one of the main characters. I'm already drifting off to the negatives... The pacing is rather slow & very even, but You've definitely seen worse. Main minus for "Captive State" is the story - it's known, narrow, shallow, without much point or twists, weakly written & just plain disappointing. It's the sort of a plot that you'll have forgotten 30 minutes after the closing credits. The characters are rather one-dimensional even though they are visibly trying not to be, nothing impressive in this area. I alse have to mention that this is not an action movie, merely a thriller. It's rather sad that their trailer was better than the movie itself, because it really got me interested before the first ratings appeared. If You just crave a more expensive looking sci-fi, an average Wednesday evening flick, or loved the video game "Homefront: Revolution" then this one's for You. My rating: 6/10.

• Oct 10, 2019

Captive State on the other hand was a turd. This story had so much potential but between the bad writing, downright awful and laughable cgi effects, this film fell flat on its face.

• Oct 09, 2019

Horrible. You are dumped in the middle of a story with a dry, emotionless young lead and John Goodman who is given nothing to work with. We know aliens have captured all of the major cities and that a insurrection is rising again after one failed attempt to rebel against their new overlords. The problems are many. The actors aren't engaging enough to carry the film because the characters they're portraying are D-U-L-L. The aliens are barely present (it's hard to hate something that's offscreen. . . that actually improved Chicago's crime rating). Worst of all, the film is one loooong march from room to room and location to location. Constantly following fast walking people through various doors. Staring at the backs of countless strangers as they walk you into vague and nondescript situations. By the time you orient yourself, it's time for a new setting with new characters you'll see for five minutes. The faces change so frequently that they cease to matter (except for the DRY leads). I guess the director thinks this persistent movement is supposed to be exciting, but it's not. The music is sparse and monotonous. Seizing wasn't off the table. The flick doesn't show enough emotion to humanize it, and it's not alien enough to make it exciting. Stuck in the boring space between.

• Oct 07, 2019

Extremely boring, just dragged on and I couldn't have cared less what happened to any of the characters.

• Sep 29, 2019

The aliens are not the main enemy! We are!

The aliens are not the main enemy! We are!

• Sep 28, 2019

First, I enjoyed it. It could have been put together better. The film is more thought provoking than action. It is about an invasion and choices people make to survive.