Carrie - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Carrie Reviews

November 4, 2017
It's insane and often makes you question physics, but it could kinda suit the teenage King fans. Mortez is great by the way.
½ October 19, 2017
Terrible boring horror reboot movie with the girl from Hugo.
October 16, 2017
A serviceable remake that didn't need to exist.

Score: 6/10
September 20, 2017
Awful remake. It´s watching a bad movie while constantly remembering a good one (1976 Brian DePalma´s Carrie).
½ September 15, 2017
Wasn't a huge fan of the book - and not a huge fan of the movie. It was alright. The only redeeming quality was the evil/insect-like look in her eyes when she brings on her powers at the prom. That was pretty neat.
September 13, 2017
Great movie, acting is fantastic, special effects so much more creepier and dark than the original
August 12, 2017
I do like the idea of Stephen King multi-verse. all the movies are their own worlds were other stories connect, and the "dark tower" is supposed to separate and protect them all from this "dark outer realm" that these creatures that infest and,plague most of the king stories example: the mist, it, the stand etc. but because of the man in black "who by the way is Randall flag" is attacking the towers and letting these monsters slip into those worlds. And that is why Pennywise the dancing clown is actually a giant spider. Our heroes with the "shining" ability like Carrie have been put through out king's stories to help protect the the dark tower. I would have liked these movies to have put more emphasis on that. possibly leading to a much larger story.
July 8, 2017
Holy shit this movie's amazing.
½ June 14, 2017
There was no reason for this movie to be made. Remaking classic great horror films is not necessary and when you add nothing to the movie and it is the exact same movie again it really doesn't help. This shot by shot remake fails miserably.
June 8, 2017
Thank you Stephen King showing us a great remake of Carrie, because my favorite actress Chloe Grace Moretz done a very good job in this movie, and she is so beautiful.
April 25, 2017
It boasts a few modern twists and impressive special effects, but this third-take Carrie mainly offers a scene-by-scene carbon copy of the original that fails to wring many fresh ideas out of its dated source material, paying short shrift to character development and turning in bland performances in service of redundancy and anachronisms.
April 13, 2017
Chloe feels horribly out of place as Carrie. This reboot could have been fantastic, had they just made important changes. They should have made a twist, for example, Carrie's mom being telekinetic too, so they could have a battle, but instead it is a scene for scene disaster. The effects are great, but without a new story, the only people who could like tis, are those who haven't seen the original.
April 7, 2017
I actually enjoyed this movie a whole lot. It leaves me scratching my head a little bit but this movie is really supposed to do that. The movie really isn't scary but it's interesting and has a good story. It's a good revamp of the original movie and is made pretty well. Chloe Meritz was really good as Carrie. Chloe just looks so innocent but then pulls off something that is pretty disturbing. Overall I really enjoyed this movie. It's a really good revamp for modern audiences and is worth checking out. A-
½ April 7, 2017
I wish they'd stop with the remakes already. I can't bring myself to agree with people who say the acting was good, in my opinion it was weak. This whole film is unnecessary.
½ April 1, 2017
More than likely an unpopular opinion, and more than likely people will call me insane or media illiterate for this review. I admit to being insane; I tend to like movies that a majority of people don't. But hear me out.

Carrie, starring a young Chloë Grace Moretz as the title character, is a remake of the 1976 film of the same name, and they are both based on Stephen King's hit horror novel of the same name (it also spawned a 2002 TV film that never expanded into a series). I admit to the 2013 adaptation to being the only form of 'Carrie' I ever watched or read, and that's probably why I love this movie.
I don't know very much about the other adaptations, but I'm sure that if I did/was a major fan of the series(?), I would have similar opinions to the actual fans.
I do, however, know that people are disappointed by this movie because there was a lot cut out (there is/was a petition for an extended cut to be released) and by the fact that Carrie looks nothing like she was described in the book. But, let's be honest, who's gonna watch a movie with a hideous main character?

The reason I love this movie so much is because I'm completely new to it (and even the horror genre), so I know nothing about it so I have nothing to be salty about for this movie in regards to the original material. And I'm almost sure that many other people who are new to Carrie and horror would feel the same, if not similar.

As a horror movie, it has plenty of tropes that you'd expect in one: some sort of curse, teens being bitches, teens having sex. Actually... let me rephrase that: some sort of curse, and teens being teens. Plus a ton of death and blood.
As a movie itself - imagine it as it's own stand-alone movie - it's got a character you can feel emotions for, it's got characters you can hate, it's got an antagonist, etc... I'm just blabbering at this point, let me get straight to the main reasons.

The movie is dark, brooding and bloody. Carrie's shyness, creepiness and fear are portrayed brilliantly by Moretz and Julianne Moore makes an excellent religious, self-harming, insane mother. And the movie puts a lot of focus on their relationship, but not too much so it's just another family drama. And a lack of jumpscares (or at least it's not reliant on them, let alone major ones) brings a welcome feeling to what most horror movies were in 2013. It's just creepy, and still makes you feel very uncomfortable at many parts - particularly when Margaret White (Carrie's mother) scratches herself or stabs herself in the thigh.
I felt many emotions and feelings while watching this movie (excluding my newly found celebrity crush on Moretz) and I'm pretty sure that's what the goal was. As a completely new take on the original film and the source book - or if you're just viewing any 'Carrie' material for the first time - you really don't know what to expect.
Of course, though, the highlight of the film is obviously the prom scene. Where the death starts. More than halfway into the film, Tommy dies after being accidentally hit in the head by a bucket after a prank gone wrong after Carrie get's drenched in blood (as a result of the prank) after he and Carrie get nominated prom King and Queen. ("After" is my word of the day now) That's when shit goes wrong, Carrie fully embraces the powers (which I have forgotten to mention throughout this whole review - she has telekinetic powers which she discovers) and goes "fuck you" on all the teens and some teachers (while saving/sparing Miss Desjardin - because she was kind to her - before electrocuting most survivors). It's notably more brutal and exciting than the other prom scene adaptations (I have seen those particular parts on YouTube).
Blah, blah, blah. I can't go on too much as I'm limited to so many words, a lot of people will probably disagree with me provided anyone even reads this review of a 4 year old movie.
All I do know is that the end (with Sue Snell providing a statement as a voice-over as she places a rose on Carrie's grave) makes me want a sequel so fucking bad... I'm probably gonna cry if they don't make one. Carrie is still alive, fucking do something with the fact!
Ugh... anyway. I recommend this movie to any new horror movie goers, anyone new to 'Carrie' (most people would recommend the book and 1976 movie first and I wouldn't blame them).
I know that a lot of people wouldn't agree with me, but a 48% score on Rotten Tomatoes (44% Audience score) does tell me that there are some people that can appreciate this movie.

To conclude: This has definitely reached the list of one of my favourite movies (despite the fact that I'm not a complete horror movie fan - mainly because of jumpscares and their reliance of them). I'm NOT gonna watch the 1976 version (might watch the 2002 version) and might read the book... but the only reason I'm reluctant is because I love this movie so much that if I do, I'll change my opinion of it.
Nevertheless, give it a shot. It might be worth it.
½ January 11, 2017
Nota: 7.1/10 - 3.7/5
January 8, 2017
Una regular adaptación de la vieja versión. Como para entretener el rato recordando la peligrosidad del Bullyng.
December 30, 2016
Let's hop the original movie isn't bad as this one
½ December 29, 2016
De cierta forma es chevere, ver a este personaje aprender y querer ser una niña normal, y las escenas de fina están bien hechas, el problema es que no me llamó la atención la relación con su madre y que cambiara de un momento a otro, fue un cambio muy brusco.
December 18, 2016
Being a massive fan of the original Carrie movie I was sceptical about this one but surprisingly it wasn't too bad!