Case 39 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Case 39 Reviews

½ May 11, 2017
Case 39 is a disappointing film. It is about a social worker fights to save a girl from her abusive parents. Renee Zellweger and Ian McShane give terrible performances. The script is badly written. Christian Alvert did a terrible job directing this movie. I was not impressed with this motion picture.
April 19, 2017
This is one of my favourite films
April 15, 2017
This is the old "demon's got me by the cajones and I can't get rid of it" plot, but good nonetheless. A few really good horror movie scenes. The kid is creepy and a good actress. Not a great movie, but good for a rainy afternoon at home.
April 15, 2017
creepy thriller. quite good
March 24, 2017
25.10.2010,
23.03.2017
March 15, 2017
Promising start but it's went flat toward the end. good acting from the young girl and a few creepy moment but not enough to carry the film and with a rubbish anti-climax ending. its deserve a darker ending, not a quick and boring simple kill off.
½ February 5, 2017
Poor Bradley and those hornets.
½ February 4, 2017
I thought was a decent film. Some scary parts, some non-so scary parts, but it kept me watching throughout and I enjoyed overall.
½ January 26, 2017
Let me start by saying, I am going to bag on this movie so hard...so, so hard. First the good thing (one thing), the acting is excellent, Jodelle Ferland is simply amazing and Ian McShane carries some sort of subdued deep powerful quality, and Renée Zellweger just awesome. It is the acting in this movie that allowed me to complete watching it. I can't let the director off the hook, every cliche' horror movie gag was badly used and every time in the most predictable unimaginative and uncommitted way possible. so, so lame. The plot is basic, boring and botched even worse is it hardly ever follows it's own devices and so it's nonsense. Examples of nonsense, the phone line is used to send the evil spell to posses her victim's mind, but it's randomly skipped and she can impose her psychological delusion just where ever. If it is set up a certain way it must follow those rules. This is just lazy and stupid, make the plot make sense please, it matters to the audience. The little girl is the devil or demon, she has certain supernatural powers but it should follow certain rules set up through the beginning, this is how suspense is created, as we fellow the path the heroin (Renée Zellweger) takes in finding out what those rules are and discovering how defeat the antagonist. If the little girl can affect her victims miles and miles away through locked doors and walls and gates why bother having the lock on your bedroom, the insane women in the patient gown is just going to leap out from the closet anyway...are we making this up as we go Christian Alvart? Suspension of disbelief is very difficult when plots are just wondering around looking for a way to just get this thing over and done with. I can see the director ..." Just get'er done!" I can recommend watching this as long as one has the full understanding the story stinks, it's fumbled, noncommittal and weak. The acting is great, amazing ensemble and it's worth watching to for that reason. I wish this cast had a good script to play with, if they did it would be another classic horror film for the ages. (4.5 stars to the acting)
January 25, 2017
Damn hornets! Acceptable horror but with no real answers.
½ January 11, 2017
This movie isn't as bad as everybody says. It is actually one the best films I've recently seen belonging to this genre. Plenty of creepy things happen on the screen and they are enough to entertain and enjoy. Many extra resources and scenes were used with little sense just to try to scare and that's a big mistake because the whole movie losses its order. The girl character wasn't very well-developed and maybe a better job could had brought more mystery and fear. Overall, this was much better than what I thought at the beginning.
January 9, 2017
Soooo great movie !!!
December 10, 2016
giving it two stars b/c i like renee zellweger but the movie itself is too much too fast! no pacing just when craziness happens it is just there! no rhyme or reason like the cruel parents throwing the girl in the oven... or bradley cooper getting attacked by bugs. it is like the director just threw them in hoping you were still paying attention. and when you do find out the twist about the little girl it is not enough to save the movie.
½ November 25, 2016
Despite common critic reviews, I believe Case 39 was excellent; the directing is decent, the acting is good, and the suspense level remains throughout the movie.
½ November 4, 2016
Just do your job! Don't think above that like you can be a saviour!

It looked like some kind of thriller, that's what anybody would say if they read the title correctly. The story was suspense, well developed to keep that for a very long time. Though it had no major twist, just a revelation like clarifying our doubts. Because most of the storyline seems alike 'Orphan', the film that came just months before this one. But this is a horror theme, I mean real horror, not a terror-horror like 'Orphan'. The overall story relied on one big secret that revealed at some time in the final act.

I have seen many films about the child abuse, and this one set in as a same kind of theme, but takes a turn during the end of the first act. So when a social worker, Emily, finds a ten year old Lilith was abused by her own parents, she takes her away from them, followed by theirs arrest. Later, Emily adopts Lilith, but soon finds some strange events around her circle. That leads to suspect Lilith, but could not prove anything. Finding the truth becomes her first priority, but how she's going to solve it is what leads us to the conclusion part.

I haven't seen Renee Zellweger in any recent films, she looked so good in this. Jodelle Ferland too was good as a little girl, the most important role in the film. But Bradley Cooper was in a small part. I think it was a decent film, but not a fresh theme, except developed differently with a new cast. If you are a big horror film fan, you might disappoint with it. Because those parts were minimised and the suspense was maximised. Yet surely most of us can easily predict many scenes, event the ending. So I conclude my review saying it is a decent watch.

6.5/10
October 28, 2016
best horror movie ever
October 27, 2016
Fun little ride if you don't think about historical context too much.
October 17, 2016
todo se resuelve más fácil con un exorcismo
½ June 3, 2016
Was led to believe I could expect great things from Case 39. In my two experiences watching it, the first involved me falling asleep, and today (the second) had me checking my watch constantly. It's not even that long. It just drags. The Hell. On.
May 22, 2016
Always thought Zellweger was hot. Oh yeah, the movie. Well, it's ok. Got my step-daughter and I jumping at times so that was good. Evil little kids are fun. This was a good Saturday night horror for us. Worth a one watch.