Cashback - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cashback Reviews

February 16, 2017
This film gives out a really creepy vibe. Can't really recommend it, but not only because it's rape-y in nature, but because it is a mess thematically. It's part physical comedy, part existential thinkpiece. And it sucks at both.
January 23, 2017
"men will sit through the most pointless driblle just a the slight chance that a woman will take her top off" - Elaine, while that was true for me for about 40 minutes, after that I just couldnt take it anymore
December 25, 2016
In his semi-autobiopic debut feature film Cashback (2006), writer and director Sean Ellis offers us an exclusive look inside a young artist's mind - his mind. His protagonist, Ben Willis (nicely played by Sean Biggerstaff), is an art student who decides to work the night shift at a local supermarket to overcome a recent breakup and an ensuing incurable insomnia. His lack of sleep develops an artistic habit of freezing time and seeing into the beauty of mundane surroundings that usually go unnoticed.

A very promising premise that loses its rigor to narcissistic self-immersion.

It is true that art is inherently narcissistic; it is all about the artist's vision of the world. The artist allows us to see things differently by shunning the familiar and comfortable collective outlook and assuming an individual perspective. Nevertheless, as the saying goes, it is takes two to tango, and the artistic process, even though innately egoistic, is not self-reflective. The audience is always an integral part.

Much of the film's freshness and originality have been obscured by Ellis's aimless meandering through his vision as an artist. It is definitely wonderful that he shares his exceptional vision with us, but he ignores the refinement necessary for viewers' reception. The end result is a picture that lacks focus and purpose, and borders on infantile disarray. Although it clearly sets itself within the boundaries of metafiction, the tone comes off as distant and lofty (pretty much like Biggerstaff's face throughout the movie) that the comic and amorous elements have become irrevocably dissonant.

I love films that leave me with mixed feelings. However, Cashback has left me with mixed feelings I cannot relate to or even attempt to understand. I do not think of myself as an artist but I cherish imagination more than words can say, and I know that confusion (the state of being confused and confusing) is one price to pay for this wonderful gift. It is the artist's choice though to either reach out or further distance him/herself. I mentioned earlier that the film is metafictional in the sense that Ellis's artistic choices in delivering the film to us is echoed by Willis's choices in trying to impart his art on the world around him. Both handle the outside world and its inhabitants as inferior subjects detached from the self to the extent that the humanity of the connection is reduced to a microscopic size; the human element in Ellis's picture is basically as emotionally aloof as the love relationship between Ben and Sharon.

The artist's eyes notice things that we cannot see, and attract our attention to them. Ellis and Willis have got only half of their job done.
November 30, 2016
This is a deeply problematic film. On the one hand, the cinematography is pretty and some of the pause effects look great. But on the other hand, it completely fetishizes and objectifies women and almost all the characters are thinly portrayed. Had it been made as a satire, I think the gratuitous nudity might have worked. "Cashback" is childish, self-indulgent, and utterly chauvinistic.
August 20, 2016
One of the best movies I have seen. I am typically not a fan of exposition, however, the narration in this film is on point. It gives perspective to the world through the lens of Ben Willis.
July 30, 2016
Brilliant, perfectly depicted love story and coming of age. If you don't live or have a connection with England you will miss all the subtleties of this beautiful film. If you do understand English mannerisms, wit, charm, the environments, and all their flaws you will LOVE this film. Please, if you don't understand the English stereotype subtleties don't review this film... you are missing everything.
½ July 10, 2016
had some interesting and creative parts but it lost my interest and i gave up on it (1 viewing)
June 18, 2016
There's definitely something to it, but it has serious flaws, which is a shame. Potential missed because no one said "That's just wrong, don't", or perhaps someone wasn't listening.
½ February 25, 2016
This starts off a bit slow but gets interesting as it goes along. A young artist has the ability to pause time. While working the night shift at a local supermarket, he meets and becomes enamored with a checkout girl who becomes the subject of his art work.
February 15, 2016
One of my visually favorite movie!
January 27, 2016
The short that the full length feature was based on is far more successful. It basically retains all the good bits without all the guff. It's more faithful to the original idea, it's cleaner and more pure - it actually makes the original look a bit shoddy on retrospect, full of filler and somewhat diluted.
January 18, 2016
The film is dangerously close to being a mess of ideas, as it talks about art and beauty just as much as it strays from originality, but mantains a comical and romantic tone that bring the many subjects into one strangely satysfying narrative.
January 3, 2016
interesting, long, cute film
½ October 12, 2015
100712: This is a funny little film. Some laugh out loud moments, many beautiful women, and great characters. Made me want a new job where I could just have some fun. Found the film more about the characters and their quirkiness rather than any real story?as a matter of fact the story is weak as well as predictable.
September 18, 2015
I thought Cashback was perfect as a short film, I didn't see the purpose on making it into a bigger film. It has a good, creative plot but it goes along with something that should've had ended perhaps after fourty mintues...
½ September 16, 2015
The characters might not be mor than one dimensional, but this small film is artistic and sexual in all the right ways.
½ September 4, 2015
Very enjoyable romantic imaginative film
July 10, 2015
85%
Saw this on 10/7/15
Cashback is a surprisingly good turn on stupid romantic movies by providing an artistic adult comedy with some sci-fi elements. I believe that men will like this movie better because it's similar to American Pie and all, only that it doesn't try every now and then to be funny. It's humour is natural and the performances are good.
May 31, 2015
The tragedy of Sean Ellis? recent expansion of his 2004 Oscar nominated short film is that it leaves you bored and frustrated but not quite angry enough to demand any monetary restitution. The film opens with slow motion footage of the protagonist?s (Sean Biggerstaff) breakup with his girlfriend. This event sends him into a 4 week period of apathy and insomnia. To pass the time he takes on a job at a supermarket that boasts a handful of quirky characters, where he meets love-interest Sharon (Emilia Fox). Ben, the protagonist, is capable of stopping time a gift which he uses to admire the female clientele as they stand, frozen, in the supermarket aisles. This triggers a whole ten minutes of gratuitous female nudity that seems to serve no purpose other than generating media attention for the film.
The laborious love story unfolds against the supermarket backdrop where the residual entertainment value of this film lies. A loose collection of genuinely funny moments produced by the supermarket staff: a wannabe stuntman and his sidekick, a store manager who tries too hard to be David Brent and a practiser of martial arts whose only function in the film is to produce a five second humorous sequence. The novelty of the time freezing ability and various comic interludes, however quickly wears off and a sense of tedium sets in as the film inexorably moves toward the predictably saccharine ending. Fox inevitably witnesses an inadvertent kiss between Biggerstaff and his ex-girlfriend and a brief period of crisis ensues. Equally inevitably the final scene witnesses the reconciliation of Fox and Biggerstaff in a ludicrously clichà (C) fashion. Biggerstaff?s dispassionate voice-overs certainly contribute to the boredom and his attempts at appearing apathetic in front of the camera pale in comparison to Zach Braff in Garden State or Simon Pegg in Dawn of the Dead.
Frankly, the romantic-comedy genre is better off without this film and its sometimes laughably corny dialogue.
March 29, 2015
Never mind the nudity. The gimmicky attempts at humour, unnecessary flashbacks, and terrible narration were super irritating. Nothing really happened until about 25 minutes into the movie, and it's debatable as to whether it moves the story forward our not. If you like movies like this, good for you. I don't.