Charlie Wilson's War - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie Wilson's War Reviews

December 3, 2016
Charlie Wilson's War is enlightening. Doing whatever it took to stop the spread of Communism, to stop the USSR from gobbling up more satellites, even if it meant putting weapons into the hands of Mujaheddeen, basically arming the locals. Arming Mujaheddeen seems to have been American policy for quite some time.

That well-intentioned policy came back to bite our nation on September 11th 2001, because not every Holy fighting faction was just about independence. Some were about spreading their fanaticism to us as well. But that topic is for another movie.
October 15, 2016
I really like movies based on actual events, they make you see the meaning of what happened and the motivation of its protagonists in a very detailed way.
½ October 7, 2016
Excellent. Great acting by Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts and, especially, Philip Seymour Hoffman. Funny at times, yet very deep in its final message.
September 28, 2016
The best writer of our time, extraordinary pacing--cuts from D.C. to Afghanistan to Dallas seamless, sharp battle scenes.
August 17, 2016
Entertaining film with a little history and a message. What more can you ask for?
August 4, 2016
Charlie Wilson's War is a 2007 American comedy-drama film, based on the story of U.S. Congressman Charlie Wilson and CIA operative Gust Avrakotos, whose efforts led to Operation Cyclone, a program to organize and support the Afghan mujahideen during the Soviet-Afghan War. The film was directed by Mike Nichols (his final film) and written by Aaron Sorkin, who adapted George Crile III's 2003 book Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of the Largest Covert Operation in History. Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, and Philip Seymour Hoffman starred, with Amy Adams and Ned Beatty in supporting roles. It was nominated for five Golden Globe Awards, including Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy, but did not win in any category. Hoffman gives a memorable performance as 'Gus' and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. A witty, funny, and unflinching portrayal of some amazing people. Kudos to all the actors and supporting actors that made this film happen. Job well done!
½ May 21, 2016
Boasting a witty script from Aaron Sorkin, assured direction from Mike Nichols and terrific performances from its ensemble cast, Charlie Wilson's War is as informative as it is entertaining.
April 11, 2016
great performances but i dont really understand what was happening...maybe if i was alive during these times i would get it
March 31, 2016
Charlie Wilson's War is a comedy-drama film, directed by the late Mike Nichols which this is his last film that he directed, and it's about Congressman Charlie Wilson that saw what happened in Afghanistan, and so he going to do whatever it takes to make Operation Cyclone happen. Since I reviewed most of Aaron Sorkin's film that he wrote, it'll make since for me to review this movie, and since this is Mike Nichols's last film, at least he went off with a bang. The story of it is really well told and it shows the progression of how far it needed to go in order to finish the war. Tom Hanks usually gives a great performance, and this is no exception. Julia Roberts is also really good in this, and so is the late Philip Seymour Hoffman, who is one of the best parts of the film, and definitely deserved a nomination for an Oscar. The writing by Aaron Sorkin is very great as he really know how to create very developed characters, write in interesting conversations that I'll understand, and investing arguments that I always like to hear from Aaron Sorkin's script. The direction by Mike Nichols is really good, and the film does get the audience interested and wanting to know more about not only the story, but also the characters. Charlie Wilson's War is a fantastic film that has humor, heart, and an interesting story with riveting dialogue.
½ February 24, 2016
Good cast but really an uninteresting film. Two stars (half of third star included because I got a b job in the theater during the showing).
February 24, 2016
At times it is a bit campy, but it's always interesting and the performances always involving.
December 13, 2015
Charlie Wilson's War is a charming, but also intriguing film about the Cold War that's led by its very gifted cast and an entertaining script. The things Wilson was able to accomplish were amazing.
½ November 22, 2015
With an excellent script from Aaron Sorkin and two superb performances of Tom Hanks and Philip Seymour Hoffman, Charlie Wilson's War is an engrossing, fascinating, and surprisingly entertaining political story.
½ November 3, 2015
really liked the overall atmosphere which was pretty easy going man. I mean it's kinda hard to fuck up an Arron Sorkin's script. LOVED Phillip Seymour Hoffman!!! and Tom fucking Hanks in the same fucking scenes! sooooo great!
Pretty beautiful film... i'm add an extra half star just for realzing that
October 20, 2015
I love the kinds of political films that delve into the details of a hugely important, yet forgotten, sequence of events that skirted days past. Like Ben Affleck's "Argo," where we were informed of an audacious hostage escape during the Iranian revolution of the 1970s. Or 1976's "All the President's Men," which reminded us that the revelation of the wrongdoings at the Watergate complex took a hell of a lot of intricate stirrings of investigative journalism. There's a certain sort of kick you feel after leaving the theater enlightened, as if you know a secret only a select few have been told to keep quiet themselves.
"Charlie Wilson's War" is such a film, detailing the process by which its titular congressman endured in order to further his very own Operation Cyclone, a government funded program meant to support the Afghan mujahideen during the brutal Soviet-Afghan War. Capturing events beginning in 1980 and continuing on until the end of the decade, the film is as eye-opening as it is sharp - it's a political comedy unafraid to tread into deeper waters, and that's what I like best about it. It doesn't hurt that Aaron Sorkin, the man behind "The West Wing," is writing, either.
As the film opens, Charlie is introduced as a hero, an above average politician receiving a medal for his bravery - we briefly flirt with the idea that he may very well be an American hero. But when the movie flashes back and tells its story from the very beginning, it is revealed that our hero is more flawed than any moviedom protagonist has any right to be. We discover Charlie is a congressman who doesn't take his job very seriously, a smart cookie with a questionable fixation with cocaine, liquor, hot tubbing with strippers, and staffing his office with sex bombs; to him, legislating is a bore, a way to earn endless amounts of money. Changing the U.S., let alone the state he represents, Texas, for the better is a job for someone else. (Good thing he's portrayed by the most likable star of the past thirty years - then we'd be in trouble.)
Charlie's interests in politics are suddenly piqued once again, however, when his friend and lover, socialite Joanne Herring (Julia Roberts), brings the Afghan conflict to his attention. From there, he continues to womanize, to drink; but changed is the way his life suddenly has purpose. After seeing the situation for himself, he is partnered alongside CIA officer Gust Avrakotos (Philip Seymour Hoffman), a grumbling cynic who aids him in what we now know as Operation Cyclone, which, ultimately, dramatically increased government funding toward anti-communist action.
"Charlie Wilson's War" is better when its factual side is tucked away and characters partake in verbal combat - like all of Sorkin's work, there is something exciting about watching conversations and berations, a quality not as prominent in cinematic entertainment as I would like it to be. I could listen to his characters speak for hours upon hours; when the central story comes around, it's almost a party crasher. The true story, news cycle-esque, is more informative than it is exciting; we have more fun when basking in the exchanges of the actors.
Hanks, unsurprisingly, makes a supremely flawed man walk around with staunch charisma; Roberts and Adams are luminous as the women most important in Charlie's life. But the film belongs to perpetual supporting actor Hoffman, whose portrayal of Avrakotos jumps out from behind the screen and punches us in the throat.
"Charlie Wilson's War" also serves as the final directing credit of the legendary Mike Nichols, the artist behind such masterpieces as "Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?" and "Silkwood." So of course "Charlie Wilson's War" seems minor. But it's a dependably witty way to go, and the actors, and, of course, Sorkin, are incapable of half-assing anything.
September 29, 2015
Good little movie with big actors in an interesting story.
September 20, 2015
Charlie Wilson's War features some stellar stagecraft on the part of Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts and Philip Seymour Hoffman. Also while Aaron Sorkin's script is a little blunter than his greatest work, there's a lot of wit and cynicism to the script.
September 19, 2015
Another proof that nobody gives a shit about education. Everyone wants to win some war that has no legitimate cause, but schools? who the fuck cares!.
May 31, 2015
Tom hanks makes me wonder what a great actor has to have to become a great actor. Good looks great acting and mind-blowing screen presence and the movie was what Tom hanks is ----larger than life
May 24, 2015
Charlie Wilson's War walks an unbeaten path between playboy comedy and political drama and comes out unscathed thanks to a good form Aaron Sorkin script, Mike Nichols' direction and terrific performances from Hoffman, Hanks and Adams.