Charlie Wilson's War - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Charlie Wilson's War Reviews

August 29, 2017
Love this movie. The dialogues between Charlie and Gust are gold! This movie also made me fall in love with Amy Adams again.
½ July 22, 2017
Mike Nichols directs another hit with this film, rounding out and excellent effort with a great cast and script. I loved the stinging wit in all of the exchanges between characters, the depiction of the suffering of Afghan refugee camps, and the spot on (of course hindsight is 50/50) analysis as to what we left the afghani people open to with such an abrupt pull out. And we are still dealing with the consequences today. But, unlike the present, the US had the correct attitude towards the Russians--as the plaque in Charlie Wilson's home quoted, "Never trust the Russians!"
July 16, 2017
Story about a Texas congressman who teams up with a wealthy heiress and a CIA agent to help the people in Afganistan win a war. Hoffman plays the role as a jerk and he's brilliant. Roberts tries to play her role with a touch of sarcasm but I didn't believe her. Hanks does a fairly good job as an alcoholic. I've always liked him.
May 3, 2017
Charlie Wilson was quite a character. Not the kind of congresscritter you find today.
½ March 20, 2017
When all what we do is for those whom we regard the highest when they are our God. When all whom we regard in the highest honour are those whom serve the country. When what we do is work for the highest man with power the President. When we just enjoy the high life to being in high places, with highly amused people and narcotics that make us high then we are as high as a kite on top of the world. When other people in high places in another part of the world are breaking news with highest regarded people in different parts to highlight something big is about to happen. When whom we are and what we do flying high comes natural when we are in high places that requires us to be in high places and have high standards. When not everything about us is high but low when we snap back to reality and realize we are not that high when we got flaws. When our attention is always at a high to know we have to be on top of things. When we just enjoy being high when we got the right people that keep it that way. When other things we ought to regard on high when it comes to our faith we reject when issues with people results in our intervention means votes. When we are only looking for the highest amount of votes to please as many people as we can. When we naturally like being high when we like the high views and views of other things. When we enjoy the luxuries of somethings that we can be as high as a kite and sing that high note with any care in the world. When all things high fall when we are interrupted. When being in high places, emotions run high when what we do is risky and dangerous that demands the highest respect and highest everything when we serve our country another way spying. When we are regarded on the highest honour for other high places but have also high regard and interest when your a person of influence when you can swing things a certain direction. When other things we enjoy when we are high we do together for those who we regard high when they are just like us but in different places when we in positions of influence. When we are in high places when we are brought there by people in high places with high interests in you delivering agendas they set out. When we soar high to deliver the message to our enemies with a high power attack. When being in high places we thought to be highly knowledgeable about certain aspects whom your dealing with. When any plans to fully succeed when they have a high budget to see to it goes smoothly. When dealing with anyone what succeeds is trust with those whom have a high track record in what they succeed and do to gain support. When we are too high to understand when we need a new perspective when we need to be in low places. When there is a urgent need for help that emotions run high when lives are at cost, it's hard to live here with so much destruction, danger and lack of evetything. When we can do little but lift some spirits high. When it's hard for some people to live high when they are focused on down below where death lay. When we wish to fight but are too low and can't reach what is high to make it a fair fight. When being in high places means having the highest people whom you want representing and respecting in power. When highly important matters require procedures and protocol to get someone in high places but low positions of influence. When other high matters like scandals results in quick resolutions when we have a team for damage control. When being in high places we have highest technology to keep an eye and monitor our interests. When we are all high one way or another in intelligence when what we do makes us good at various aspects that require our expertise. When some matters are highly sensitive when you can't be involved or have any evidence of involvement that could worsen a war that hasn't reached the highest severity. When we are looking for the highest quality at low value to help influence the direction of war. When some people are like us when we all like a high rise in other things. When we have high regards to those with high ethics.
When we have to keep spirits at a all time high when they are low during challenging times. When some matters deserve highly secured secret meetings before we act. When some people in high-low places we don't have time for when they raise high spirits and are not our people or religion. When some matters we need the fullest extent of the law to highly oversee an injustice that occured when we exercise extreme high measures. When prayers from on high don't do anything when there is no face but people from high places whom have a face to put a face to this injustice of a war to be regarded from on high for trying to save lives. When we need to supply highly classified weaponry to shift the war another direction. When success makes us glow as high as the moon to need to share this with someone like us. When we can't allow any high power push around any low power without a fair fight. When we can't always highly over see a low power country's development to leave it open for an uncertain future. When we are no longer highly interested in countries that are not threatened to leave them to fend for themselves. When we are only highly interested in our own interests and the lives we care about.
½ March 5, 2017
Great actors very disappointed in the movie.
½ January 28, 2017
I was supremely surprised at the level of both acting and smart (yet still somewhat slapstick) comedy by all parties. Hoffman was strong and intimidating yet lovable by the end; Roberts made you forget it was Roberts (thank God); Hanks was a strong anchor (despite even myself becoming a bit tired by his movies as of late). And somehow, beneath it all, there's still a strong, pertinent message to he had that is delivered on-point. Well done.
½ January 18, 2017
It is so sad when I see a country is proud of killing other people in the name of Democracy or God or whatever you wanna call it. Everyone knows because of this war Ben Laden grew up and then the tragedy of 9/11. Then many people where killed in Iraq and Afghanistan because of 9/11. The machine gun of America, Saudi, and other countries must stop and let people live in peace.
January 5, 2017
1/5/2016: A pretty decent movie with a great cast!
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 3, 2016
Charlie Wilson's War is enlightening. Doing whatever it took to stop the spread of Communism, to stop the USSR from gobbling up more satellites, even if it meant putting weapons into the hands of Mujaheddeen, basically arming the locals. Arming Mujaheddeen seems to have been American policy for quite some time.

That well-intentioned policy came back to bite our nation on September 11th 2001, because not every Holy fighting faction was just about independence. Some were about spreading their fanaticism to us as well. But that topic is for another movie.
October 15, 2016
I really like movies based on actual events, they make you see the meaning of what happened and the motivation of its protagonists in a very detailed way.
½ October 7, 2016
Excellent. Great acting by Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts and, especially, Philip Seymour Hoffman. Funny at times, yet very deep in its final message.
September 28, 2016
The best writer of our time, extraordinary pacing--cuts from D.C. to Afghanistan to Dallas seamless, sharp battle scenes.
August 17, 2016
Entertaining film with a little history and a message. What more can you ask for?
August 4, 2016
Charlie Wilson's War is a 2007 American comedy-drama film, based on the story of U.S. Congressman Charlie Wilson and CIA operative Gust Avrakotos, whose efforts led to Operation Cyclone, a program to organize and support the Afghan mujahideen during the Soviet-Afghan War. The film was directed by Mike Nichols (his final film) and written by Aaron Sorkin, who adapted George Crile III's 2003 book Charlie Wilson's War: The Extraordinary Story of the Largest Covert Operation in History. Tom Hanks, Julia Roberts, and Philip Seymour Hoffman starred, with Amy Adams and Ned Beatty in supporting roles. It was nominated for five Golden Globe Awards, including Best Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy, but did not win in any category. Hoffman gives a memorable performance as 'Gus' and was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor. A witty, funny, and unflinching portrayal of some amazing people. Kudos to all the actors and supporting actors that made this film happen. Job well done!
½ May 21, 2016
Boasting a witty script from Aaron Sorkin, assured direction from Mike Nichols and terrific performances from its ensemble cast, Charlie Wilson's War is as informative as it is entertaining.
April 11, 2016
great performances but i dont really understand what was happening...maybe if i was alive during these times i would get it
March 31, 2016
Charlie Wilson's War is a comedy-drama film, directed by the late Mike Nichols which this is his last film that he directed, and it's about Congressman Charlie Wilson that saw what happened in Afghanistan, and so he going to do whatever it takes to make Operation Cyclone happen. Since I reviewed most of Aaron Sorkin's film that he wrote, it'll make since for me to review this movie, and since this is Mike Nichols's last film, at least he went off with a bang. The story of it is really well told and it shows the progression of how far it needed to go in order to finish the war. Tom Hanks usually gives a great performance, and this is no exception. Julia Roberts is also really good in this, and so is the late Philip Seymour Hoffman, who is one of the best parts of the film, and definitely deserved a nomination for an Oscar. The writing by Aaron Sorkin is very great as he really know how to create very developed characters, write in interesting conversations that I'll understand, and investing arguments that I always like to hear from Aaron Sorkin's script. The direction by Mike Nichols is really good, and the film does get the audience interested and wanting to know more about not only the story, but also the characters. Charlie Wilson's War is a fantastic film that has humor, heart, and an interesting story with riveting dialogue.
½ February 24, 2016
Good cast but really an uninteresting film. Two stars (half of third star included because I got a b job in the theater during the showing).