Chernobyl Diaries - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chernobyl Diaries Reviews

June 6, 2016
I cannot comprehend why such a low score for a good film. Why what's wrong with it?
It tells a story which is not nonsense, it actually happened and the acting OK isn't Oscar winning but isn't rubbish. I've seen very much worse.
It's atmospheric and it holds a memory to the people of Pripyat.
OK so the story is fabricated or is it? Who knows for real if there are people that survived and became strange inhospitable beings? Hmm, there could be some truth in that, after all world governments have a tendency of covering things up.
The film is just a joy to see the unspoilt place of Pripyat as it is now. I would certainly love to take a visit here!
The makers in my opinion did an excellent job on making this film and it is certainly no insult to the people of Pripyat in making this film. On the contrary it is a reminder and a memory.
And while I'm at it what a brilliant track by Marilyn Mason while the end credits roll.
½ June 4, 2016
It was actually and surprisingly ok while building the suspense and wisely adding the horror elements by not showing the monsters point blank. Shame that the story falls flat after the middle and the ending is so rushed it leaves the story wide open, without any sort of conclusion or explanation. A great example of a movie where they run out of ideas.
½ June 1, 2016
Cool idea, interesting setting/location, but one question. Ever heard of a tripod?
May 31, 2016
A bad horror movie, with the so-original found footage shit as well. You know, it could have worked. The setting is very creepy and it could have been very scary. But, nope. All we get is bad directing, bad acting, cheap scares, and mindless gore.
½ April 13, 2016
I found this to be a very unrewarding experience... It's sad, because the film seemed to have a lot potential during the first thirty minutes and then becomes nothing more than a 45-minute run in the dark from dogs, shadows, and off-screen mongoloids. The amount of original intellect put into the storyline couldn't fill up an eyedropper. All it has going for it is claustrophobic underground high def cinematography of real life Nazi tunnels (had to be filmed there, because the real Chernobyl is still radiated). Movie goers must have been really pissed off. Not only is half of the film a sprint to nowhere, but the ending is a stereotypical disaster. So bad, that it's not even predictable - nobody could expect such a bad ending for a mainstream horror.
½ March 22, 2016
Un ejercicio (intento) de terror penoso, que resalta sus carencias de presupuesto cada tanto, y cuya historia solo genera desinterés, vergüenza y apatía, al igual que sus insípidos personajes.

Cuando el mayor elemento de "terror" de tu película puede ser reemplazado por "Corran que ahí vienen los perros", creo que el problema comienza a ser radioactivo a alto grado.

Sus únicas virtudes vendrían a ser el fluido manejo de cámara y una iluminación muy bien ejecutada.
March 7, 2016
It has a very interesting and unique premise with a eerie setting. The overall plot was basic but the atmosphere and pacing was ok and it took a while for the story to get going. Had some jump scares but wasn't that scary. The ending also was crappy. It was decent.
January 19, 2016
im a big fan of the disaster that happened more than 25 years ago, even the one challenge on Top Gear uk where the boys have to run out of fuel before the exclusion zone or they would have to continue is one of my faves.
This movie however was rather mediocre, the fact the whole town (which i rekon could have been a movie set) was wonderfully set up and stunningly desserted but the seat of pants gave me a few jumps but then the movie just progressed and characters starting "dying" was rather typical and slightly confusing. wouldnt really tell people it was great tho as a movie to watch once yea why not! the only good thing was singer Jesse McCartney providing some eye candy in an otherwise mediocre film.
½ November 17, 2015
Chernobyl diaries has an intriguing premise and solidly spooky sets. But is a rather insufficient and amateurishly acted spook fest that becomes derivative too quickly
½ November 14, 2015
Worst film I've seen in 20 years.
November 8, 2015
Not nearly as bad as they say
½ October 17, 2015
I have a huge fascination with the history of Chernobyl disaster so I found this film to be rather enjoyable. The characters are likable enough to keep watching even when the story takes a really disappointing turn at halfway mark. I feel the film had potential to be something different but it is just another cliche. Meh, it's a five random bear encounters out of ten.
August 30, 2015
I'm not saying this is great, it's not. But I have been wanting to see a Chernobyl film for a long time and we get one. It's a shame that this film is not as good as it could have been. Director Brad Parker could have done better. It didn't involve parts of the city of Pripyat that it should have done. It's not an expensive film, it's actually fairly cheap. The scares are very predictable, you can tell when something is going to happen. Especially with the ending, that was the most predictable scare. It is a shame that there was no one famous in this film, no one to recognise but it was just ok
August 14, 2015
It definitely is a spooky and intense film. Its like the Blair Witch Project but with things actually happening, however the acting is what some people get up on. I would recommend it though.
August 6, 2015
This movie was not particularly scary, but it was just a fun movie to watch. Movie seemed to run out of steam midway through but picked it up at the end. A good movie to rent.
July 26, 2015
I'm embarrassed to admit that my eyes were halfway closed for a large portion of this horror flick, but I have a feeling I wouldn't find it nearly as terrifying the second time through. While there are a lot of suspenseful jump-out-of-your-seat moments, the premise doesn't leave much of a lasting impression. (Which is probably in my favor.)
½ July 10, 2015
This was complete garbage. Your typical stupid horror film about a group of teens or 20 something white people that try to relax and go on a vacation and meet killer humans. Your typical white bald pale male slasher killer humans affected by the radiation that can't do anything but make sounds and kill for no apparent reason. I had no hopes for this film. But it was just really dumb. I'm just over this whole Hills Have Eyes crazy white men killers.

Nobody could think of anything else to make an adventure film about a group of people with a lick of diversity exploring Chernobyl and a surrounding town? No, apparently not. So what we end up having is yet another lackluster dumb as crap horror film. This is literally the bottom of the barrel in the horror genre with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.
½ June 29, 2015
The idea as a whole was good but i think the plot could have gone differently. I'm not gonna lie though, I was scared a couple of times and I usually don't scare easy, but the plot became boring a predictable at one point
June 29, 2015
Summary: Chernobyl Diaries boasts an eerie setting, but its screenplay is awful and the characters are forgettable. 40/100 [C-]

Directed by Bradley Parker and written by Oren Peli. Chernobyl Diaries is a horror film released in 2012. It was filmed in Hungary and some other close locations. Its whole location is scary and the plot is quite interesting. Its first act delivers some false jump-scares; so, if you're a person who gets scared easily, I recommend it. Even though it has 86 minutes of running time, it was pretty boring, mainly because the suspense was awfully handled. Also, the script and all the situations were very cliche. The worst thing about it is that it had lots of potential, this is such a waste of premise.

There was a huge lack of screenplay, the direction and the writing were so lazy. The camera work is cheap and crappy. It's good to see a film talking about this catastrophe, it was a good idea, but "Chernobyl Diaries" fails to give us interesting characters and genuine scares. It definitely has its moments, but the plot was very confusing, especially in its last act. Sometimes the movie is way too dark. It's almost unwatchable. It seems that they recorded this film with a potato. Well, at least the performances were decent and a few scares were effective, but it's just another mediocre Blumhouse production.

I recommend it only for very curious horror fans and people who get scared easily. The first time I saw it, I really liked it, but after the second viewing I realize how bad written it was. In conclusion, Chernobyl Diaries boasts a frightening setting that is wasted by an awful script, lazy direction and horrible camera work. Anyway I recommend it if you're a curious horror fan and you have low expectations. I don't recommend it if you're not a huge fan of the genre and you expect lots of scares, originality and surprises. Spooky location, bad script and poor execution, that's it. [C-]
May 21, 2015
I know this is a good movie because I've watched it more than once