Chernobyl Diaries - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chernobyl Diaries Reviews

½ October 11, 2017
Worthless, beyond the worst you can imagine.
½ October 10, 2017
Please, stop now and don't see this. This is truly the scraping off the bottom of the barrel. You can't REFUND the misery you will have suffered after seeing this pile of "FECAL MATTER"
August 20, 2017
decent thriller. a bit predictable but good fun.
½ July 21, 2017
Despite the original concept - which yes is absurd at times and frankly disrespectful to the victims of the Chernobyl explosion - the original idea and filming location (which I could easily be persuaded it is in fact Chernobyl) is no where near enough to save the sinking motion of this movie.

With an abundance of cheap cliche scares, terrible acting and a script which makes most horror scripts look Oscar worthy, the seemingly original concept manages to lead to a film lacks enough driving force to even engage slight tension to attract me to watch ever again.

Around the 50 minute mark, around 5 minutes successfully managed to take my interest but that was swiftly lost a few moments later when we returned to the standard bore which seems to form this feature predominantly.

Overall unless you really desire to watch a frankly ridiculous and overly boring film, Chernobyl Diaries is not for you, very little is to be said about this feature, as this review will accumulate to be almost as boring (but most likely still a long shot) as this movie.

Final verdict - 4.8/10 or D+
½ July 12, 2017
You know it's a bad horror movie when most of the time, if not all of the time, the film isn't scary and when it is or if it is, you feel as if you let yourself down in some unspeakable way.
June 16, 2017
Chernobyl Diaries is about a group of teenagers who sneak into Chernobyl to see how radiated it really is. These guys are basically the teen cliche in every horror film by the way. They soon come to find some seriously weird and suspicious things that don't match up with the original story of Chernobyl. Although this movie got all around hate, and it was pretty cliche in almost every horror movie way, I think that is actually on okay movie. Some of the characters are actually likable in a sense that they aren't like the teens in the Friday the 13th and you actually want Jason to kill them. It's not a great movie though, it has plenty of flaws, it has the cliche jump scares, big fake out noises, and an unoriginal premise, for me it holds up well as a scary campy horror movie. I also feel like this movie has good emotion especially with the two main characters. For me, it's just a fun horror movie to watch on a Halloween night or something like that.
½ June 3, 2017
This movie sticks period. the movie started okay, but to have everyone not live at the end of the movie kind blows.
May 10, 2017
Brilliant setting, Uri the tour guide was a great actor and the Aussie was fine, but the others weren't that great. I would have liked to have some good eerie music, the movie mostly had no music at all.
May 3, 2017
Chernobyl opens up endless possibilities for great storytelling, but I was severely off-put from this.
½ April 4, 2017
The story of how to take a fantastic subject with endless possibilities and make it int oa cheap, no-thrill story. Director and screenwriter should have played S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games to see what can be pumped out of Chernobyl.
½ January 8, 2017
Chernobyl Diaries is a horror movie set in Pripyat, a ghost town in Ukraine that has been abandoned ever since the Chernobyl disaster happened. Six people decide to go on an extreme tour in Pripyat because why not? There are a couple of reasons which will become clear to them after a few hours spent there. So, they go to Pripyat in a van with a tour guide Uri and after a brief encounter with a bear and some building exploration, they car won't start which results in them spending the night there. The story is nothing new or original, it's very cliched and follows most of the found footage movies that have come out lately and although Chernobyl Diaries isn't found footage, this makes it feel like one. Well, that and the poor direction with a lot of shaky cam. The characters aren't memorable at all and the actors are okay, I suppose. They're not given much to do so the performances are just fine. It's the atmosphere and the look of Pripyat that stick out. The town looks absolutely creepy and that's really the only thing that works well in this movie. I loved seeing the decaying buildings, the overgrown ferris wheel and the insides of the buildings are just as creepy as the outsides. It's really impressive how they actually managed to shoot the movie at Pripyat. The scares in the movie are cheap and rely only on jumpscares. There is some tension in a few scenes, but the shaky cam and the fact that you never get to see the mutants properly manage to take away from the suspense. Last 5 minutes are pretty well done, but those last 10 seconds are just crap. I really liked the buildup to the finale, with the doctors and people in radiation suits showing up, but the very ending is just cliched and I've seen it many times before in movies like this. All in all, Chernobyl Diaries is only worth watching if you're interested in how that part of Ukraine looks like, everything else you've seen many times before in better, or worse, movies.
January 3, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 22, 2016
Era da aspettarsi qualcosa di pił per una sceneggiatura scritta da Oren Peli. Si poteva creare un horror pił proficuo e pauroso, purtroppo molto semplice e veloce
½ November 14, 2016
Decent story and beginning and concept. Didn't show a lot of infected people, couldn't really connect
November 2, 2016
I found picking a scab more entertaining
½ September 18, 2016
What's creepier then being stuck in a abandoned city with radiation monsters running around? Being betrayed by the goverment. I liked this movie a lot, but I wasn't the biggest fan of the ending.
½ August 8, 2016
I'm not saying that Chernobyl Diaries is great, it isn't. But I have always been interested in Chernobyl and have always wanted a film on it and now we have one. It is a shame that this film is not as good as it could have been. Director Brad Parker had a great opportunity to make this film really good based on it's concept. But I think he definitely made mistakes. The cast is pretty poor in this film, the acting isn't great at times and it seems that this film is quite rushed. It is only a short film and I wish it was longer. There were several landmarks in Chernobyl that were not in this film and that is disappointing. Chernobyl reactor 4 is barely seen in this film yet that is the main part of Chernobyl. I thought this film was okay but I wish it was better. Not quite what I expected. But better than some horror films that I have seen. But if you are looking for a scary horror film Chernobyl Diaries isn't for you. If you are looking for a film which is not half bad then this is the film for you.
June 6, 2016
I cannot comprehend why such a low score for a good film. Why what's wrong with it?
It tells a story which is not nonsense, it actually happened and the acting OK isn't Oscar winning but isn't rubbish. I've seen very much worse.
It's atmospheric and it holds a memory to the people of Pripyat.
OK so the story is fabricated or is it? Who knows for real if there are people that survived and became strange inhospitable beings? Hmm, there could be some truth in that, after all world governments have a tendency of covering things up.
The film is just a joy to see the unspoilt place of Pripyat as it is now. I would certainly love to take a visit here!
The makers in my opinion did an excellent job on making this film and it is certainly no insult to the people of Pripyat in making this film. On the contrary it is a reminder and a memory.
And while I'm at it what a brilliant track by Marilyn Mason while the end credits roll.
½ June 4, 2016
It was actually and surprisingly ok while building the suspense and wisely adding the horror elements by not showing the monsters point blank. Shame that the story falls flat after the middle and the ending is so rushed it leaves the story wide open, without any sort of conclusion or explanation. A great example of a movie where they run out of ideas.
½ June 1, 2016
Cool idea, interesting setting/location, but one question. Ever heard of a tripod?