Children of Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Children of Men Reviews

½ December 6, 2016
Gorgeous cinematography and exquisite world-building make this a slower, smarter sci-fi dystopia than most. Touching on political and social themes that are relevant even now, Children of Men is a poignant fable worth revisiting.
½ December 4, 2016
Filled with intense action and a unique premise, "Children of Men" is a solid dystopian flick.

In a futuristic dystopia, the human race is on the edge of extinction when nobody is able to reproduce. But Theo finds himself fighting for life when he has to escort a woman, who just so happens to be the first pregnant woman in nearly three decades.

The best thing about this movie is the action. If you're an up and coming director and you want to learn how to build up action scenes, chase scenes, shoot outs, and more, this is the film to study. The way they direct action scenes and bring out the grittiness in each one really says a lot. I'm normally not a fan of chase scenes, as they have mostly become fairly generic, but here, these were some of my favorite chase scenes. They were intense, real, heart pounding, and they worked really well. This movie deserves an A for it's violence and brutality.

For a movie made a decade ago, it still looks really good. Most "futuristic" movies are often flooded with CGI and dated graphics, but this movie builds this dark and practical world, and it's ugly. This movie looked really good and it sets the tone early on.

This movie was well written and had a really intriguing premise. The overall story and premise had me hooked throughout and I was always excited to see where the story would take me next. It's a smart and in depth human drama that really emphasizes on this collapsing society. It's not something that's common now a days and it's brutal.

In the end, this film was a solid and intense futuristic thriller with plenty of positives about it.
November 29, 2016
10 years has made world of difference for this movie for me. One can actually see our world in another 10 years in this film. Fantastic long shots put you on the edge of your seats. I found my self holding my breath. There us a scene that will completely move you to tears and awe towards the end of this excellent film.
November 26, 2016
Will stand the test of time.
½ November 7, 2016
Children of Men is a good survival thriller. Cuarón keeps the tension high, but the reasoning to keep the baby a secret doesn't add up when they are allowed to walk away from death because of it.
½ November 6, 2016
In my top five from the last decade. Definitely the best cinematography. Everyone should see it at least once.
November 5, 2016
This movie is simply deep. It will make you question the faith of humanity, in a good or bad way? that's you to decide.
½ November 3, 2016
"Children of Men" is the 2006 feature directed by Alfonso Cuáron ("Labyrinth") and it's written by Cuáron, Timothy J. Sexton, David Arata Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby. The film is based on the acclaimed 1992 novel of the same name, written by P. D. James. The film is set in the year of 2027, it's been 18 years of human infertility and the world has now collapsed as it faces human extinction. England, one of the few stable countries with functional government left in the world, has now become militarized police state as the government forces round ups and detain immigrants. There, an Englishman named Theo, played by Clive Owen, is recruited by his estranged wife Julian, played by Juliane Moore, to help in the transportation of an important immigrant girl. After a series of events, it's found that this immigrant girl is actually pregnant with earth's first child after those 18 years of human infertility. The cast counts also with the help of Michael Caine as Theo's friend Jasper, Clare-Hope Ashitey as Kee, the pregnant refugee woman and also a brief appearance of Academy Award nominee actor Chiwetel Ejiofor as Luke, one of Julian men.

"Children of Men" is a truly remarkable and beautiful film. Based on P. D. James' novel, the movie's plot works do to originality, intelligence in its filmmaking and script as well as its themes, such as religion and hope. As Hollywood progress in its making of sequels and reboots to it's most iconic films, some filmmakers, and studios, once in a while, decide to try and create a solid, original and weel-produced film to a high range of audiences... and once in awhile, it works. Like another great Scifi film I've seen recently called "Looper" (2012), "Children of Men" presents a great approach to an untouched idea, that works almost perfectly due to its spot on direction from Cuáron, fantastic visuals, and all around great acting. But why ALMOST perfect? well, the films plot is great, but in the end, it can leave you wanting more and it can fell to fast-passed at times, something I deem unnecessary since the film's runtime is not long (109 minutes), maybe a couple more minutes to the film's first act, which felt a bit rushed. But that's pretty much it, everything else is amazing.

Clive Owen, wow. I've seen way less of Owen then I should have. The actor is great in this film, managing to turn Theo's sad, drinking, cigarette-smoking persona onto the story's hero. Owen is a pleasant presence in the film, I'll be sure to check out more of the actor's work in my next viewings. Besides Owen's Theo, there's an interesting set of characters, the most notable of these is Kee, played well by actress Clare-Hope Ashitey, who doesn't have many lines in the film, her acting beeing based more on her facial expressions and reactions throughout events. Julianne Moore and Michael Caine both do brief appearances in the film, both are very welcomed, especially Caine, wich appears the most between the two. He plays Theo's weed-smoking friend, Jasper, a change for Caine, who usually does not play such characters.

The film's directing is perfect. With fantastically orchestrated single-shot sequences, those who last to up until six minutes, these six minutes referring to the Bexhill escape scene, where Clive Owen's character, Theo, is followed by the camera as he tries to rescue Kee and leave the facility, all while a war between British forces and refugees takes place. The scene is fantastic, action packed and certainly the best moment in the whole film. It's completed with top special effects, amazing camera movements that capture both Theo, the war and the film's scenery and background, accompanied by a great mix of sounds and music that replace the film's score for the scene. The scene is not the only single-shot sequence in the film, another amazing one is the four minutes roadside ambush scene, which was deemed impossible to shoot by some. Ignoring the "Impossible" factor, Cuáron managed to shoot the scene greatly, with no apparent CGI involved in the making. The film's cinematography is too worth mentioning. It all looks astonishing, with great shots showing beautiful scenery , especially in the film's final scene in the boat, these are accompanied by the fine use of light and editing to better capture the shot.

"Children of Men" is a fantastic accomplishment from director Alfonso Cuáron, it's a shame the movie did not get the attention it deserved in its box office, it is really a must-see if you are a movie geek. The visuals and camera usage well leave you astonished, and although the films pace and plot may look slow or kinda of boring for some, for those who can actually see the films beauty and originality, the film will be a fine piece. 4/5.
½ October 30, 2016
Can not get out of it ! It will blow you.
October 6, 2016
A very tense thriller that has you caught up in the world it is set from the beginning til the end.
½ September 29, 2016
Good production value, which is unfortunately all that can be said for the film.
½ September 8, 2016
the directors view of the situation is truely new and brilliant. the movie is xtremely entertaining for the genre fans.
September 4, 2016
Children of men is equal parts thrilling, haunting, human, bleak and beautiful, and it is by far and away one of the best movies of the 2010's.
September 1, 2016
An eerily prophetic and emotionally devastating picture that stands to become a beacon of originality in the annals of cinema. Definitive and essential.
August 27, 2016
I saw this in the theater and was very fond of it, but really hadn't thought much about it since then. I remembered the elaborate and impressive single take action scenes, but couldn't remember what had appealed to me (except the memorable use of King Crimson ... that I remembered vividly). I thought that maybe if I watched it again it would turn out to be a film that impressed in the theater but fizzled on repeat viewing. Not it isn't. Cuaron constructs a remarkably realistic and convincing world. The problem might be that, much like "Gravity", I'm blown away by the craft involved, but largely uninterested in the story.
August 11, 2016
It's a dystopian society, crumbling under the weight of the planet's doom that no chlidren have been born for more than two decades. Then a miracle happens. With a pregnant girl, how do factions handle it? and the scene exiting the battle scarred building past the gob-smacked troops sends chills just thinking about it. CHILDREN OF MEN is an important movie to see.
August 10, 2016
So raw, so real, and incredibly intense. A believable future in chaos.
August 9, 2016
Alfonso Cuarón does not fail to deliver yet another well-crafted and magnificent film. The film presents a possible future for the world in a harsh and depressing manner. There is a certain scene in the film that is so emotional and powerful the audience almost forgets the horrors and tragedy that the film offers. The performances of the actors and actresses are spot on and the cinematography is outstanding.
½ July 17, 2016
8.4 on 10

Like a car that was lit on fire and pushed down a hill.. It is awesome.
July 16, 2016
Visually stunning, "Children of Men" counts with amazing performances and a masterful direction, its final act left me without words and made me tear up in a reflection about what humanity and hope is. Truly a modern sci-fi master piece.