Children of Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Children of Men Reviews

October 11, 2016
"Children of Men" is the 2006 feature directed by Alfonso Cuáron ("Labyrinth") and it's written by Cuáron, Timothy J. Sexton, David Arata Mark Fergus and Hawk Ostby. The film is based on the acclaimed 1992 novel of the same name, written by P. D. James. The film is set in the year of 2027, it's been 18 years of human infertility and the world has now collapsed as it faces human extinction. England, one of the few stable countries with functional government left in the world, has now become militarized police state as the government forces round ups and detain immigrants. There, an Englishman named Theo, played by Clive Owen, is recruited by his estranged wife Julian, played by Juliane Moore, to help in the transportation of an important immigrant girl. After a series of events, it's found that this immigrant girl is actually pregnant with earth's first child after those 18 years of human infertility. The cast counts also with the help of Michael Caine as Theo's friend Jasper, Clare-Hope Ashitey as Kee, the pregnant refugee woman and also a brief appearance of Academy Award nominee actor Chiwetel Ejiofor as Luke, one of Julian men.

"Children of Men" is a truly remarkable and beautiful film. Based on P. D. James' novel, the movie's plot works do to originality, intelligence in its filmmaking and script as well as its themes, such as religion and hope. As Hollywood progress in its making of sequels and reboots to it's most iconic films, some filmmakers, and studios, once in a while, decide to try and create a solid, original and weel-produced film to a high range of audiences... and once in awhile, it works. Like another great Scifi film I've seen recently called "Looper" (2012), "Children of Men" presents a great approach to an untouched idea, that works almost perfectly due to its spot on direction from Cuáron, fantastic visuals, and all around great acting. But why ALMOST perfect? well, the films plot is great, but in the end, it can leave you wanting more and it can fell to fast-passed at times, something I deem unnecessary since the film's runtime is not long (109 minutes), maybe a couple more minutes to the film's first act, which felt a bit rushed. But that's pretty much it, everything else is amazing.

Clive Owen, wow. I've seen way less of Owen then I should have. The actor is great in this film, managing to turn Theo's sad, drinking, cigarette-smoking persona onto the story's hero. Owen is a pleasant presence in the film, I'll be sure to check out more of the actor's work in my next viewings. Besides Owen's Theo, there's an interesting set of characters, the most notable of these is Kee, played well by actress Clare-Hope Ashitey, who doesn't have many lines in the film, her acting beeing based more on her facial expressions and reactions throughout events. Julianne Moore and Michael Caine both do brief appearances in the film, both are very welcomed, especially Caine, wich appears the most between the two. He plays Theo's weed-smoking friend, Jasper, a change for Caine, who usually does not play such characters.

The film's directing is perfect. With fantastically orchestrated single-shot sequences, those who last to up until six minutes, these six minutes referring to the Bexhill escape scene, where Clive Owen's character, Theo, is followed by the camera as he tries to rescue Kee and leave the facility, all while a war between British forces and refugees takes place. The scene is fantastic, action packed and certainly the best moment in the whole film. It's completed with top special effects, amazing camera movements that capture both Theo, the war and the film's scenery and background, accompanied by a great mix of sounds and music that replace the film's score for the scene. The scene is not the only single-shot sequence in the film, another amazing one is the four minutes roadside ambush scene, which was deemed impossible to shoot by some. Ignoring the "Impossible" factor, Cuáron managed to shoot the scene greatly, with no apparent CGI involved in the making. The film's cinematography is too worth mentioning. It all looks astonishing, with great shots showing beautiful scenery , especially in the film's final scene in the boat, these are accompanied by the fine use of light and editing to better capture the shot.

"Children of Men" is a fantastic accomplishment from director Alfonso Cuáron, it's a shame the movie did not get the attention it deserved in its box office, it is really a must-see if you are a movie geek. The visuals and camera usage well leave you astonished, and although the films pace and plot may look slow or kinda of boring for some, for those who can actually see the films beauty and originality, the film will be a fine piece. 4/5.
October 6, 2016
A very tense thriller that has you caught up in the world it is set from the beginning til the end.
½ September 29, 2016
Good production value, which is unfortunately all that can be said for the film.
½ September 8, 2016
the directors view of the situation is truely new and brilliant. the movie is xtremely entertaining for the genre fans.
September 4, 2016
Children of men is equal parts thrilling, haunting, human, bleak and beautiful, and it is by far and away one of the best movies of the 2010's.
September 1, 2016
An eerily prophetic and emotionally devastating picture that stands to become a beacon of originality in the annals of cinema. Definitive and essential.
August 27, 2016
I saw this in the theater and was very fond of it, but really hadn't thought much about it since then. I remembered the elaborate and impressive single take action scenes, but couldn't remember what had appealed to me (except the memorable use of King Crimson ... that I remembered vividly). I thought that maybe if I watched it again it would turn out to be a film that impressed in the theater but fizzled on repeat viewing. Not it isn't. Cuaron constructs a remarkably realistic and convincing world. The problem might be that, much like "Gravity", I'm blown away by the craft involved, but largely uninterested in the story.
August 11, 2016
It's a dystopian society, crumbling under the weight of the planet's doom that no chlidren have been born for more than two decades. Then a miracle happens. With a pregnant girl, how do factions handle it? and the scene exiting the battle scarred building past the gob-smacked troops sends chills just thinking about it. CHILDREN OF MEN is an important movie to see.
August 10, 2016
So raw, so real, and incredibly intense. A believable future in chaos.
August 9, 2016
Alfonso Cuarón does not fail to deliver yet another well-crafted and magnificent film. The film presents a possible future for the world in a harsh and depressing manner. There is a certain scene in the film that is so emotional and powerful the audience almost forgets the horrors and tragedy that the film offers. The performances of the actors and actresses are spot on and the cinematography is outstanding.
½ July 17, 2016
8.4 on 10

Like a car that was lit on fire and pushed down a hill.. It is awesome.
July 16, 2016
Visually stunning, "Children of Men" counts with amazing performances and a masterful direction, its final act left me without words and made me tear up in a reflection about what humanity and hope is. Truly a modern sci-fi master piece.
½ July 12, 2016
It brings you into the story and makes you feel like you're along for the journey
July 8, 2016
I wanted to give this movie a standing ovation after I saw it. It was brilliant. I loved the filming, the concept and the depiction of the whole story. The cinematography was spot on and the long one shots were a precursor to what a great director Alfonso would become. In particular, I love the subtleties in the movie - the carefully placed photographs, off-hand dialogues and fleeting expressions. Somehow I caught most of it and I loved it. This is a must see movie for all kind of movie goers!
July 4, 2016
OMG...what can I say, from horrific to sublime. I've known about this film since it came out and heard all the praise heaped on it. But, my eyes are so red. Maybe I'll finish this some other time.
June 26, 2016
I'm not gonna be cliche.  I'm not gonna say "IF YOU SEE ONE MOVIE THIS YEAR, MAKE IT CHILDREN OF MEN!"  Except it's true.  Many movies today lack real merit.  They are mindless tripe made to kill two hours of our precious time. Children of Men paints a shockingly realistic vision of the future.  From the ashen gray and brown skies to the littered waters no part of the world it seems is unsullied.  Anyone who is not born in London and attempts to get in is relegated to cages or even worse refugee camps.  The movie begins in 2027 with the death of Baby Diego who was at eighteen years of age the youngest human on the planet.  Women have become infertile and a world without children is a desolate place indeed.  Through the assistance of his former love, Julian, our protagonist Theo stumbles upon Kee, a miraculously pregnant refugee.  Because of her pregnancy she is an asset to the world and Julian's goal is to get her to The Human Project where she will be safe.

I haven't felt this affected by a movie in some time.  I can guarantee you won't be disappointed.
June 25, 2016
Better get ready for of the best one one shots you'll ever see.
June 20, 2016
Great movie, one of my favourite movies of all time.
The reason is simple, it's a intense, urgent tale with a world to explore, it felt real as I was watching it and it was really thoughtful on the way it was recorded, one of the things I like the most is the way sometimes the camera explores the world by itself, not always following the main character. Well acted and well directed this movie it's great to watch paying attention.
½ May 31, 2016
Pretty strange apocolyptic film about a society struggling to survive due to no one being able to give birth. The society is in decay, morale is low, and conditions are worsening. Clive Owen plays a mysterious character who used to hold some job of importance. When finding a mysterious girl who is somehow pregnant, his job is to protect her throughout the movie as she would be extremely valuable to those who could find her. The movie does a good job of keeping you guessing, and it creates a dark world that is just unpleasant. It takes you to another place and that is what creates the movies uniquness. Owen has a nice subtle mood about him during the movie and is steadfast in what he must do. A very good film that won't but you in the best mood, but creates a wild universe.
May 26, 2016
A bit hard to follow, but after reading, fantastic plot, great political thriller and scary relavent for today