Children of Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Children of Men Reviews

March 20, 2016
Great movie, one of my favourite movies of all time.
The reason is simple, it's a intense, urgent tale with a world to explore, it felt real as I was watching it and it was really thoughtful on the way it was recorded, one of the things I like the most is the way sometimes the camera explores the world by itself, not always following the main character. Well acted and well directed this movie it's great to watch paying attention.
½ December 29, 2015
Pretty strange apocolyptic film about a society struggling to survive due to no one being able to give birth. The society is in decay, morale is low, and conditions are worsening. Clive Owen plays a mysterious character who used to hold some job of importance. When finding a mysterious girl who is somehow pregnant, his job is to protect her throughout the movie as she would be extremely valuable to those who could find her. The movie does a good job of keeping you guessing, and it creates a dark world that is just unpleasant. It takes you to another place and that is what creates the movies uniquness. Owen has a nice subtle mood about him during the movie and is steadfast in what he must do. A very good film that won't but you in the best mood, but creates a wild universe.
April 22, 2016
A bit hard to follow, but after reading, fantastic plot, great political thriller and scary relavent for today
January 27, 2009
Amazingly awesome, a perfectly made film. The single shot battle sequences are jaw-dropping, and after the first 20 minutes you're completely hooked on the story.
½ December 17, 2011
3.5/5 Children of Men is technically wondrous with great cinematography and superb world-building. The action is exciting and the story is fairly interesting. However, some performances are lacking and the script could use some work. I was also left very unsatisfied by the ending and felt a but underwhelmed by the expectations the film had set up. It's a good film but I feel like Children of Men has some excellent pieces that were unable to form an equally excellent whole.
April 18, 2016
In my nearly 50 years, this is definitely one of the top 10 movies I have seen. I did not see it until 9 years after it came out. It seems now quite prescient.
½ May 14, 2016
I have to admit, I was highly suspicious of the potential of this film when I first heard about it. I have grown tired of Moore's endless Oscar bait appearances in recent years and was having a tough time connecting her to this film in a positive way. Nevertheless, I sat down and watched and boy was I stunned. Children of Men has a few flaws, namely some awkward opera bumps in the score where an abstract instrumental approach would have been better along with some really interesting exposition type questions that remain unanswered (likely for the better but I am a curious filmgoer, especially when it comes to science-fiction/post-apocalyptic stuff). Other than that however, Children of Men is a surprising, multi-faceted, well cast and extremely thoughtful thriller that is very likely the current pinnacle of Cuaron's career (Gravity doesn't even register on the radar). Despite the fact that he always gives the same performance, I have always appreciated Clive Owen for his consistently excellent composure and he doesn't disappoint here. Moore is used sparingly, which works perfectly for the film. The supporting cast is strong as well but the emotion of Owen drives this movie to the finish, although nothing could have been accomplished without the fantastic adapted screenplay and incredible world-building. In addition to a scathing and timely critique of America's arcane immigration systems and conservative party policies, the film is clearly targeting some broader human concepts as well, addressing ideas such as human rights and the importance of hope in emotional stability. On the way to this goal, the movie manages to surprise again with one of the most impressive urban warfare scenes of the 21st century along with particularly detailed post-apocalyptic Briton landscaping that really took the cake. The result is a well done film that hits in all the right places and surprises in a number of others. Well worth repeated watches.
May 15, 2016
Grim, well acted and with thought provoking ideas on the future of human society, "Children Of Men" earns its place among this century's top tier science fiction films.
½ April 23, 2016
This was an awful movie. Does a horrible job of explaining the plot. I was confused most of the way through. At some point it starts making sense, but still way too gloomy and uninteresting. Can not overstate how bad this movie was. Only watched it because it got good ratings on here. Thanks a lot people!
May 13, 2016
Post apocalyptic childless world. Down to earth realism, with its tight and frustrated economy and military police-state. Tumbling onto a quest of life. Entertaining and sharp, with some lunacy.
½ May 3, 2016
This movie is boring and full of nonsense talking. Stopped movie after 40 mins watching both me and my sister think it's bad. I don't know who can like this stupid movie
½ April 26, 2016
Children of Men (2006) ??? 1/2
Riveting thriller about 2027 chaotic future in which women have been unable to produce offspring until a small girl proves otherwise; she's escorted by Owen to reach sanction. Alternately powerful and engrossing, anchored by a great performance by Clive Owen and unrelenting final thirty minutes. An audacious feature from the always dependable Alfonso Cuarón and a top film of the decade.
April 21, 2016
Excellent story telling - science fiction as it should be told: relevant, thought provoking, engaging.
November 3, 2015
The one shot takes are breathe taking. The acting is great. The whole movie itself is just a master piece. With amazing cinematography by Emanuel Lubezki.
½ April 6, 2016
Children of Men is as real as it gets. Clive Owen does a fantastic job in this movie as well as many of his fellow cast members. The cinematography is phenomenal and features some pretty awesome long takes. Alfonso Cuaron again shows off his confident and tight direction in an overall thrilling drama.
March 14, 2016
This movie defines the word masterpiece.
June 5, 2007
Masterful filmmaking. Period. This is one of the true classics of our time.
April 5, 2016
Emotional, tense, and spectacularly filmed by director Alfonso Cuaron and cinematographer Emmanuel Lubezki, Children of Men is an edgy, fantastic, and beautiful sci-fi thriller.
January 29, 2016
Another movie that can never get enough praise, It works on so many levels and has something for most people, It's very violent, Very realistic, Very moving, Brilliantly acted by a strong cast, The camera work was incredible, With some fantastic single shot scenes and a fantastic ending, If you don't like this movie then I'm afraid you don't know what true cinema is.
March 24, 2016
one film that, despite it's grisly subject matter, i love almost every aspect of. the direction, the cinemotography, the acting, the story and script, the symbolism and production design, everything is phenomenal, everything was thought out, there wasn't any big exposition dumps, it was just you're thrown into this world, and it's bleak and foul, but there is always this underlying glimmer of hope shining through. it's a film about human nature, and it's very good.