Children of Men - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Children of Men Reviews

September 6, 2017
There is a lot that can be said of the greatness of Children of Men, but it is that it begs us to understand the importance of children in that without them we have no future.
September 6, 2017
From the documentary style and wildly imaginative writing, you can feel the sickness and the depravity of the world, the constant war and danger, but the implications it hints at are sophisticated and relevant for the foreseeable future and has the most profound impact.
September 3, 2017
Incredible movie. My first time seeing Clive Owen in a film and I must say I'm blown away. Great story, great acting, amazing cinematography. A movie that no one should miss.
July 30, 2017
Is an absurd movie...
July 28, 2017
A terrific movie. It's rather a stretch to call it scifi, but I suppose because of the future setting, and the scientific nature of the problem, it counts as such. But it side steps all of the tropes.

Clive Owen gives the performance of his career.
½ July 17, 2017
Long, tracking shots add to the realism that plants you into the chaos, Children of Men succeeds by viscerally evoking dense emotions.
½ July 13, 2017
With a great story and a realistic vibe this movie delivers on all levels.
July 12, 2017
This very realistic and quite possibly prophetic drama featuring plenty of suspense, action and intelligent dialogue raises many important political and humanist related questions that are more relevant today then ever before.
July 5, 2017
Waited 11 year to get round to watch this and thought it was awful
July 4, 2017
I really wanted to love this movie, but I couldn't help but feel bored while watching it.
June 30, 2017
*****
Grim, bleak, and yet at its centre full of hope. 'Children of Men' is a fantastic, if sometimes depressing, look into the future, with an amazing performance by Clive Owen and astounding visuals. Highly overlooked.
½ June 29, 2017
It's reviews like this that have caused me to lose faith in RT. This movie was barely B grade. Terrible acting, plot was interesting but didn't progress or have any substance. Little character development. Anticlimactic and the ending was a disappointment. Don't waste your time.
June 25, 2017
A bit hard to follow, but after reading, fantastic plot, great political thriller and scary relavent for today
½ June 25, 2017
Children of Men is a bleak, brutal and emotionally gripping movie that captures your attention from the first frame and does not let up. With truly exceptional acting, especially from Clive Owen, and brilliant character building we are truly enthralled into the story and are so invested in the characters struggles. Alfonso Cuarón does a truly amazing job with directing, utilising long takes, subtle character beats and creating a truly brilliant and lived in universe. The film is so well made and so brutal it is honestly difficult to watch at times. However there's an extremely emotional undercurrent throughout that reaches a brilliant pay off by the time the film ends. There are problems here and there, due to a lack of satisfying pay off for some of the villainous characters and some predictable elements, but they are easy to overlook due to the quality of the film. Children of Men is a thought provoking, gritty and powerful masterpiece. It wholeheartedly deserves its status as a modern classic as it is truly exceptional. A movie everyone should see, even though it can be a difficult one to watch. A
½ June 14, 2017
Very disappointing. A potential packed premise wasted on an overused plot about having to take someone somewhere and keep them safe. But this isn't completely awful. The cinematography from Emmanuel Lubezki is obviously great, and it has several single shots with so much stuff that's insane to see happen with no cuts. I'm not sure why everyone loves this, and why some even consider it one of the best movies of all time. Forgot to review this on 6/10/17. I believe I originally reviewed this on 6/12/17, but when I changed the rating, it moved the review up to the top of the list, and (this was expected) changed the date.
June 8, 2017
Saw it, wanted to like it based on high ratings. Most curiously, it was rank in the top 20 sci-fi films of all times, but I couldn't detect the sci-fi part, except for the infertility plague, which was never explained. It looked more like present-day Mosul or some other devastated 21st-century city. Overall it was murky about what caused the plague, why humans had descended into savagery in just a few years, and why England was the long survivor. Characters weren't well developed - were we supposed to root for the unlikable insurrectionists/terrorists? Where were the scientists in all this? Didn't anybody have a plan? I get the Mary and Joseph angle, but it was just hard to care about anyone in this film. Filming was great - the battle scenes were more worthy of an American action flick - but the story overall didn't make much sense.
½ June 8, 2017
Dark, and a bit depressing, despite its violent take on society, it leaves the viewer with hope for humanity. Very well executed speculative fiction.
June 7, 2017
Children of Men is an absolute masterclass in world-building, with technically impressive action sequences and a captivating story.
May 25, 2017
A very emotional and thrilling journey in wich the concepts of life and death are the most notable. Cuarón suceeds in getting the audience so involved in this journey, feeling the emotions of the characters. A very accompished performance from everybody in the cast. We have to outline the excellence in cinematography of the incomparable "chivo" lubezki.
½ May 25, 2017
Great (and often overlooked and underrated) film, with some tense scenes and decent performances, notably by Clive Owen as the likeable everyman, boltered by the second to none direction by Alfonso Cuaron that really shines. And while it looks and sounds decent enough on Blu-Ray, it could have benefited from a more expansive and discrete sound design. It doesn't sound bad, but could have been more involving. Still, I wouldn't mark the film down for that. 4.5/5*