Sien nui yau wan (A Chinese Ghost Story) Reviews

• Aug 03, 2016

What genre is this!?! Wonderfully unpredictable.

What genre is this!?! Wonderfully unpredictable.

• May 24, 2016

If I remember correctly,I wasn't wild about this when I first saw this when it came out, and, viewing it 30 years later, it's still not all that great. The love story is interesting, with the ghost and the human falling in love, but the action sequences are sometimes nonsensical, mixed in with references to Chinese symbolism or whatever. It still gets a bit of a meh from me.

• Dec 25, 2015

The best of the best when its about classic chinese fantasy movies. This old school Tsui Hark produced pearl is also one of my favourite great movie love story of all time.

• Jul 22, 2015

Not bad but quite slow. I remember seeing an old Japanese film similar to this so I reckon it might be a remake but can't remember what of.

• Mar 30, 2015

I was honestly a bit bored throughout this one. There were some cool animated zombie creatures living in this house, but they never amounted to much. It felt like a random plot without much direction or weight to anything.

• May 04, 2014

The combination of the horror and humor in this movie was well executed. It gave a few laughs but it still had that scary-suspense undertone. There was a scene with Master Yan rapping/singing and I am not sure how it contributed to the story; but, it didn't ruin it. The tree spirit had an interesting...weapon. There are two sequels after this. I recommend not watching the second one which follows Caichen after the events of Lan Ro Temple as it was a bore and tried too hard to be funny (too many puns). The third sequel was okay as it went back to Lan Ro Temple but it was more on the comical side than horror.

• Jan 19, 2014

I have all parts of chinese ghost story... but didn't find that part which i saw few years before... in that part elder sister find a man run from kings soldier and priest ask her to avoid meet with that man... her another two sister meet that man one by one and got fucked... after few days elder sister find that man in her house with her sisters and also join with her and fucked by that man... after some days they identify that man is an evil and they fight with him.... i search this part all over site and all dvd store but didn't find... pls help me to find it.....

• Apr 25, 2013

I surely prefer the other translate term,The Enchanting Shadow,for this one totally killed your imagination and its sense of beauty.

• Feb 02, 2013

An unassuming young tax collector is seduced by the ghost of a beautiful girl after spending the night in a haunted temple, but the two are torn apart by the evil tree spirit that controls her soul. Together with the help of the Taoist swordsman Yen, Ning must gather the courage to defeat the ancient demon in order to free his love forever! A CHINESE GHOST STORY is one of the finest pieces of Hong Kong horror cinema, and Tsui Hark's crowning achievement within the genre. At its heart is a beautiful tragedy between two torn lovers, but on the surface, A CHINESE GHOST STORY is an action-packed horror comedy that takes influence from both East and West, including Sam Raimi's THE EVIL DEAD, Obayashi's HOUSE, and Hong Kong's own MR. VAMPIRE series. The shadowy temples and shrouded forests already set an eerie mood, but it is the superior cinematography that brings them to life as we follow the wolves and spirits that haunt the woods. Built upon these stunning locations are a number of incredible special effects, combining the high-flying acrobatics of the Chinese sword fighting film with flowing robes, mystical powers, and an enormous demon with a wicked tongue. For all of its style and visual grace, A CHINESE GHOST STORY is met with equally impressive performance by the entire cast. Leslie Cheung is playfully naive as Ning, who becomes easily enchanted by the beautiful Joey Wong as the ghost of Hsiao Tsing. A CHINESE GHOST STORY blends all of the most terrifying, exciting, and atmospheric elements of Hong Kong fantasy film making to produce one of the greatest unknown classics of the horror genre. -Carl Manes I Like Horror Movies

• Jan 04, 2013

a modern and popular fantasy version of typical ancient scholar-beauty love story