C.H.U.D. (Chud) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

C.H.U.D. (Chud) Reviews

March 26, 2017
If you disregard the slow buildup and the worn-out assumptions behind the storyline, this horror movie is not bad.
December 21, 2016
C.H.U.D. as a concept is a really good one, but unfortunately it doesn't do quite enough with it. It does have the luxury of having some familiar faces like Daniel Stern, John Heard and Kim Greist, but the story itself and the execution of it is a little lacking. Don't get me wrong though. I liked the movie, but it did have parts that dragged and could have been better. I like the monsters and the performances of everyone involved. It just lacked that extra push in the story to make it more memorable. I'd still recommend it.
½ December 9, 2016
Tons of B-Movie fun! Greasy and seemingly representative of the New York of the early 80s. Great score, great monsters, cheesy story, and somehow solid acting.
½ October 23, 2016
To be clear, this is a bad movie, but for whatever reason, it's one that always stuck in my memory and one that has remained in the cultural zeitgeist as well. The film features a surprisingly strong cast that includes John Heard, Daniel Stern, Kim Greist, Eddie Jones, Sam McMurray, and early roles for John Goodman and Jay Thomas as police officers. Set in NYC, humanoid creatures living in the sewers are killing upsiders, which leads reporter Heard and social activist Stern to investigate the disappearances. They soon discover a government conspiracy to cover up the Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers (CHUDs). This film is pure camp with a corny story, silly monsters and special effects, and not real scares. However, this film does have a strong cast that takes the film completely serious and I did enjoy the grimy pre-Giuliani New York. I supposes I'll now need to watch the sequel, "C.H.U.D. II: Bud the C.H.U.D."
June 11, 2016
A film that's probably talked about more than it's seen due to it's wacky title. It's really not that bad a film, mostly due to it's pretty great cast, although the CHUD's themselves are pretty groovy in a rubber suit kinda way when you finally see them. It's not really a very good film either. It's pretty ragged, like a bunch of miscellaneous were shot and somebody figured out how they were all supposed to fit together in the editing room. Crucial scenes seem to be missing. Harmless fun ... not a hidden gem.
½ June 3, 2016
Not fantastic in practice, but presents a sweet idea and wraps it around some complex characters all the same. The suspense it tries to cultivate would probably have worked more efficiently if it wasn't spoiled in the opening scene. At least the C.H.U.D.s looked cool.
October 19, 2015
Far from perfect, but still very enjoyable and fun.
September 23, 2015
love this campy fun horror pic wish it would be available on blu-ray
½ April 13, 2015
Done on a shoestring budget and it shows.Even the B movie feel seems like it should have been further down the alphabet.
January 14, 2015
Daniel Stern at his greatest I guess.
½ December 10, 2014
Hokey only in that it is old, the plot is pretty common of the time it was made. It even has quite a few actors before they became known I'd bet..
½ December 1, 2014
Despite looking like a cheesy B movie, i was surprised by how well done it was, the story is good, and you dont even see the CHUDs till almost halfway through, the acting is pretty good too, with somewhat big names like john heard and daniel stern, not a classic by any means, but an enjoyable way to kill some time
November 24, 2014
All i took away from this was the neighbor was cute. that is all.
October 16, 2014
C.H.U.D. is a decent B-Movie from the 80s. It stars Daniel Stern and John Heard and both do a pretty good job. In a strange way though the movie kind of takes itself a little bit too seriously for what it is. I really like the idea although I don't get why they just didn't make it a bit sillier.

Daniel Stern really shines in the movie and I think it is too bad that he got typecasted as a comedy slapstick goof in the early 90s. John Heard is also another underrated actor and he does a decent job as well.

I went into this thinking it was going to be a goofy movie and that isn't quite the case. It is more of a serious horror movie and I just don't think that quite works for a movie that has a concept as ridiculous as this. I'll give it a pass though, because I liked it for what it was.
October 16, 2014
This is one of my favorite monster movies. It also pairs Heard and Stern years before "Home Alone" which is kind of awesome. It's goofy, not very scary, but one of those classic Sci-Fi/Horror melds with a BUNCH of familiar faces in it. The practical FX are fun and the story is as ridiculous as you'd hope it would be judging by the title.
September 8, 2014
The infamous bad horror film isn't even close to being as bad as its reputation suggests. True the acting and story is not the greatest but it makes up for that with great atmosphere, chilling sequences and truly terrifying monsters. I like to think of it as a sort of homage to horror films of the 50s and 60s, with in of itself is a nice breath of fresh air that the genre needs during this period.
½ September 3, 2014
Don't watch it unless it's on TV!
½ August 19, 2014
This movie is bad but I have seen worse. It was pretty entertaining.
½ July 2, 2014
Another cheesy 80's horror movie, but honestly despite some crappy acting throughout, it wasn't half bad. The 'CHUD's' were very creepy looking and the soundtrack added to the chilling experience. I wasn't crazy about the open ended finish here, but apparently there's a sequel..