Chungking Express Reviews

• Apr 06, 2019

Chungking was a spontaneous project developed by the team of Wong Kar-wai during principal photography of Ashes of Time. While waiting for some equipment to arrive, they had free weeks and decided to fill it with another project â" a kind of movie that students make, as it was described by the director. The film has been shot in just 3 weeks and became an example of work on the incomplete script. Provided the screenplay was a formality, the things depended a lot on the actors being able to improvise or come up with ideas on how to play their roles. Also, Chungking Express was very dependent on Christopher Doyle's cinematography who had to handle lights and colours in a totally new way to give a fresh glimpse into Hong Kong reality and daylight. All the scenes were shot during the day time in the overpopulated parts of Hong Kong. We would see the protagonists during the afternoon just a few times. Doyle was trying to make it in a way of creating an emotional response to daily life in crowded Hong Kong where people collide, fall in love, suffer heartbreaks and dream. The colours of Chungking express and its light have created an unmistakably famous image of Kar-wai's style. Chungking Express was initially supposed to consist of three stories, but director ended up shooting just two of them due to lack of budget and time. It was an experiment of telling different stories with unrelated plots in one film. Yet there are some similarities in these stories: both of them concern young Hong Kong policemen dealing with a breakup and hoping to fall in love happily again. The young men wander around the district of Hong Kong where Chungking cafe or express is, and we observe different emotional moments from their lives. The connection between the stories is an emotional, romantic, atmospheric thing. Chungking express is pretty sketchy, it doesn't focus on the narrative part but employes many methods to emphasize the romantic mood of characters â" the mood for love which is going to be developed and polished by Wong Kar-wai later works. It is a very unusual film for the Hong Kong industry, something completely different from what had been produced there in the last decades. This is one of the main reasons why it was Chunking Express which became a moment of the international breakthrough for Wong Kar-wai and not elaborate Ashes of Time which took such a long time to shoot and edit.

• Mar 24, 2019

Gorgeous. I spend my life looking for this film's vibe in the real world.

Gorgeous. I spend my life looking for this film's vibe in the real world.

• Feb 12, 2019

Wong Kar-wai's film of love and lost is beautifully shot and wonderfully written. Even during the focal shift in the narrative, it still flows nicely with its themes.

• Dec 26, 2018

in the mood for love was better. still beauts.

in the mood for love was better. still beauts.

• Nov 06, 2018

This film was solid.

This film was solid.

• Nov 03, 2018

Gotta to be my favorite movie of all time . From how it is directed , the cast , the location and the background music . Everything is just perfect .

• Oct 17, 2018

I never thought that a movie that explores loneliness would end up being one of the most charming feel-good movies I've ever seen! I mean... I was smiling and laughing spontaneously, and that didn't happen to me since I watched Amélie! (9/10)

• Jun 09, 2018

Second film from director Kar-Wai Wong, second bullseye. I really like his style and I will probably end up watching more, if not all, of his work. "Chungking Espress" is composed of 2 stories, and these stories are a good mix between noir, and a goofy rom-com. but the writing and the visuals are what make this movie more then a worthy watch. I would have liked for the two parts to be more connected maybe, but the connections are mostly platonic, and they never affect the other part, but that is just my love for "Pulp fictiony" movies talking.

• Nov 26, 2017

With Wong Kar-Wai's distinct visual style and characters that grab your attention with just how genuinely they're written, 'Chungking Express' is a truly enthralling piece of entertainment that tells two separate stories set to a perfectly chosen soundtrack. It may be a bit too artsy or disjointed for some, but there is an undeniable magic at work here and it is difficult not to get caught up in it or find yourself affected.

• Nov 10, 2017

Chungking Express has a singular and elegant cinematic language, a great film to watch with people who speak different languages because there is little need to understand a complex storyline - just sit back and enjoy the experience of watching!