Cinema Paradiso (Nuovo Cinema Paradiso) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cinema Paradiso (Nuovo Cinema Paradiso) Reviews

October 10, 2016
Really one of the dumbest ideas for a movie. He was banned from seeing kissing scenes, so he's redeemed by being able to see them again. That's shallow. You like movies, but are you ever gonna be one? The characters aren't likable or believable. self infatuated.
I'm fine with sentimentalism... just not phony sentimentalism. I really, really dislike this movie.
(the shorter version) The score is magnificent. Completely empty melodrama with brilliant music.
½ October 8, 2016
This movie was extremely long (over 3 hours) but I just found out I watched the extended directors cut. Not really my style of movie but the 1.5 hour version might have been better
September 23, 2016
Touching, funny, and all-around well-made, Cinema Paradiso is simply a classic.
September 8, 2016
Captures through an inherently sympathetic lens the communal nature of film and the power of nostalgia. Funny, evocative, and sad at the same time, and ultimately a hugely moving work.
August 18, 2016
Flat out, the most moving, enjoyable film I've evar seen. The ending fade, where the screen blurs depicting Toto's tears, is nothing less than a genius level bit of film-making. And, as is usually the case, the Morricone score is outstanding. It's impossible to rate this film as high as it deserves.
August 2, 2016
What a beautiful nostalgic italian movie. Italian movies can be so unique, like this one.
July 31, 2016
Stands unchallenged as the best movie on the influence of cinema in our life!
July 27, 2016
Just Watched this classic again. Brilliant
July 22, 2016
This is about as perfect a movie (about movies) that one can imagine. Driven by a brilliant script, great acting, haunting soundtrack and neorealism, it brilliantly evokes so many emotions including drama, comedy, passion, sadness, tragedy, nostalgia and love. It is presented as a flashback to an earlier time where the cinema was the centre of cultural entertainment in postwar Sicily, The viewer never doubts that this is a real story unfolding before them, and it is nearly impossible to hold back tears during this film, especially as it culminates and ties together so perfectly at the end. Ennio Morricone's theme song helps to stir so many emotions evoked despite the few words spoken to summarize the protagonist's feelings at the end. A true modern classic of Italian cinema.

Let this film be a test to separate the sound film reviewers from the lightweights. I truly believe that any person who can come to post a negative review of this film is an utter fool of cinema. They should return to the pool of manufactured Hollywood commodity product and never return to international cinema.
½ July 19, 2016
*This is a review of the original 2 hour cut.

People who love cinema will likely enjoy this very much. How film critics, film professors, normal movie goers, etc. got interested in movies can be a very nostalgic memory to think about. That's why I was interested in seeing this movie as its plot showed some promise. It was a pretty good experience watching it.

After a famous filmmaker named Salvatore "Toto" Di Vita gets a call that a friend of his as a child named Alfredo died, he recalls his childhood. The film shows how he got into film, how he became friends with Alfredo, a theater projectionist, and other things he experienced as a child while growing up.

His friendship with Alfredo continued to grow throughout the film. At first, he didn't like his presence and tried to get rid of him. However, as the film continued on, he began to value his company. Their friendship was very interesting. Since Toto's father wasn't with him, and since he supposedly died in the war, he looked up to him as a father figure, and he viewed the theater as his mother. If his mother were to tell him not to visit Alfredo anymore, he would disobey her, and continue to do it. This was an interesting way to show how movies were a very big part of his life.

The part of the film where he bonded with Alfredo was the best part of the movie. It is full of delightful touches such as Toto stealing a frame of film behind Alfredo's back or Toto helping him cheat on an exam so he'll let him back into the projectionist booth. The movie theater is displayed almost as a centerpiece where everyone would like going to it late at night to be entertained. The people who go to them are interesting. There are people who always sigh when a kissing scene is censored out of the film by order of the priest. Also, there is a man who only goes to the theaters to fall asleep, causing the kids to wake him up. After the viewer sees how unruly the crowd can be, it makes them wonder how they'd really act is the movie were to ever show a kissing scene. Also, the first act ends with a memorable scene where Alfredo projects the movie onto a wall outside the theater so a group of people can watch the film even after the theater closes. What follows that is a scene which is a perfect way to end the film. I won't spoil it though, because it's best to see it come as a surprise.

After that, the film moves forward 10 years into the future to show Toto as an older teen. The movie still manages to maintain its charming moments such as the scene where 2 boys are told to stop touching themselves by their father after the theater finally shows a kissing scene, only for him to do it a bit as well. Also, there's a scene where Toto is having trouble getting a movie to start. The people in the audience grow anxious to watch it. One person tries to tell everyone the plot to the film as he's already seen it before right as someone drops something on his head from above to get him to stop. These are many delightful touches which makes the viewer really like the lovable audience, despite how unruly they are. These comedic touches help the film, because they give the viewer extra reasons to enjoy the film.

However, the main part of the 2nd act is to build a relationship between Toto and a girl he loves named Elena. This isn't necessarily a bad thing for movies to do as it could give them further charm. However, I really didn't care for the scenes with her. This was the part of the movie where it started to feel a little cheesy and schmaltzy. I felt like some of the scenes from their relationship were a bit corny. One scene was where he waited outside Elena's house every night, hoping for her to change her mind as she said that she didn't love him when he originally asked her. He did this to imitate something that Alfredo told him in a short fantasy story he heard once. The story didn't sound all that bad when Alfredo said it. However, what works in one medium might not necessarily work in another. If someone were to do that in real life, it would look disturbing. There were a couple other scenes that I didn't like as well. However, I think that the biggest issue I had with their relationship was that while it didn't appeal to me, it also took a lot of Alfredo's screen time out of the movie. If the romance sub-plot was done very well, I might not have had an issue with it in limiting Alfredo's screen time, but since it wasn't done very well, it obstructed the movie's impact on me even more.

In conclusion, this was a very great film well worth my time. The relationship between Toto and Alfredo was done very well. The theater scenes had charm to them, and they provided some brief comedic relief at times. It managed to keep this throughout the majority of the flashbacks. Even though the romance sub-plot didn't appeal to me, I still liked this film a lot. Once you get to the very end, the famous final scene lets you walk away from the film in a positive manner by showing you a well-done montage. Overall, this was a pretty nice movie which I thoroughly enjoyed.
July 19, 2016
A nostalgia driven film made all the more enchanting with a beautiful score by Ennio Morricone. Contrary to most reviews, i believe the 3 hour version is much more well rounded and exceeds the shortened version in terms of the Director's vision for the film - not the time length - which some audiences find hard to sit through.
July 19, 2016
Since our childhood cinema has been part of our lives, we were absorbed by it from the beginning and we did not remove anyone, no matter which generation we belong to, whatever our favorite genres, although some movies we like and others disappoint us, passionate about cinema, excites us and makes us happy, what better way to explain if not seeing this colossal masterpiece and ultimate love letter to cinema.
July 5, 2016
Masterfully capitalizes on the feeling of nostalgia but comes up just a bit short in taking advantage of the great potential of its different storylines in terms of overall coherence and balance.
July 4, 2016
This film has been hanging over me for a while, I have seen it on so many top film lists.Part of the reason is its a critic proof movie especially for cinefiles which all critics are. Its very sweet, nostalgic and well done. It doesn't have a ton of depth but it will make you feel good.
June 20, 2016
Cinema Paradiso never gets old. The more of life you go through the more poignant the movie becomes.
May 20, 2016
Magic on the screen. Relatable, hopelessly romantic. Great pacing of the plot.
May 3, 2016
Fantastic cast, sweet story. The dubbed version is not as good as the original.
April 29, 2016
A beautifully touching movie that has stayed with me for decades
April 28, 2016
A fine story superbly told through a very focussed Art House production.