Coffy Reviews

• Aug 13, 2020

One of the predictable themes in 70's with much macho characters.

One of the predictable themes in 70's with much macho characters.

• May 10, 2020

Coffy deserves more between three and three and a half stars, but I give it the benefit of the doubt. It's a classic blaxploitation movie for sure. It features a lot of the genre's trademark elements, like a funky music score, a low budget, gritty look, bad acting, and some violent action sequences. The flick is supported by a young and good looking, charismatic Pam Grier, who also starred in Tarantino's later Jackie Brown (1997). Her performance, while not terrific, is full of energy and lifts this film up. And especially for its time, Coffy has got an unusual moralistic, anti drug tone to it. It's a vigilante story which has been seen countless times before, but this film does it right for the most part. Overall, I enjoyed Coffy, it's one of the better blaxploitation movie out there, and if you want to get into that genre, this one is recommended!!

• Apr 22, 2019

One of my favorite movies and the movie that made me fall in lust over Pam Grier....she still is one of my absolute favorite actresses and my crush has not diminished!

• Jan 31, 2019

The best thrilling movie ever made!

The best thrilling movie ever made!

• Nov 21, 2017

i like this type of movie

i like this type of movie

• Jun 10, 2017

Pam Grier is the best. As usual, she plays such a cool badass. A great revenge/exploitation movie, with awesome music and action.

• Jul 09, 2016

Classic 70's soft core blaxploitation film!

Classic 70's soft core blaxploitation film!

• Apr 19, 2016

Over the course of my cinematic love affair, I have really enjoyed the few films I have seen, either starring Pam Grier, one of my favourite B-movie American actresses, or that were directed by Jack Hill. I can't get enough of especially the films of which they collaborated, 'Foxy Brown' and this, both of which I consider up there with the 'Shaft' trilogy and 'Super Fly' as masterpieces of the 'urban action' genre of the 70's. She, just 24 when she made this, certainly was one of the most beautiful and exciting women ever put on celluloid, and while I also love both Hill's short film 'The Host' and 'Switchblade Sisters' (viewed on one DVD as part of Quentin Tarantino's 'Rolling Thunder' reissue series), here his pacing and filming are on an entirely different level altogether. It's a shame for us cinephiles that he chose at such an early age, 42 and clearly in his filmmaking prime, to retire from the business to both write novels as well as explore meditation with his wife, but I'm thankful for the films he made. The soundtrack (and most particularly the killer title song) by one of my favourite jazz/funk singer/musicians of the period, Roy Ayers, is up there with Curtis Mayfield's for 'Super Fly' as essential listening for lovers of such music. Say what you want about him as a filmmaker, but I for one am glad that Tarantino has revived interest in both the actress (casting her as the star of 'Jackie Brown') and the director (through his aforementioned reissue series). It is an under-recognized way that Tarantino has significantly contributed to contemporary American cinema of all sorts, and has helped these unsung heroes from prior generations, who would otherwise be neglected and ignored unjustly from contemporary cinephilic attention.

• Mar 25, 2016

Coffy is the first female centred blaxsploitation flick, that features a strong female lead (Pam Grier) taking on pimps and drug dealers. Pam Grier gives an excellent performance as Coffy, a nurse out for revenge after her sister gets hooked on drugs. The story is basic, but the superb direction from now b-movie legend Jack Hill is phenomenal & it's this film that help put him on the map. This was shot in just over 2 weeks to get released before, Cleopatra Jones, a film which the company never got the rights to make. This quickly but brilliantly professionally film made Pam Grier the first black heroine in American Cinema. Coffy is a fun, fast paced, professionally made and enjoyable revenge flick which came before, Death Wish (which is often called the original revenge thriller), the film that made revenge cool.

• Oct 18, 2015

Pretty good...and surprisingly so. A nurse, Coffy, is on a personal mission to avenge the death of her sister at the hands of drug dealers. Good story, solid direction and decent performances. All this is quite surprising as the movie is regarded as "blaxploitation", and is one of the movies that started the genre. The term implies that it is a cheap, exploitative of black people, B-movie, but it is hardly that. Its production values are good and rather than being exploitative, it is empowering. Great, powerful performance by Pam Grier in the lead role. Good supporting performances. A seminal movie in the history of black cinema.