Cold Mountain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cold Mountain Reviews

½ November 9, 2017
A solid historical epic covering the American Civil War. You can certainly tell it was directed by the same filmmaker who made The English Patient. It essentially feels like a slightly worse version of that film that takes place during the Civil War. Still, the epic sweep of the story is engaging, the numerous star actors bring solid performances and the few moments of battle are well done. Worth a watch for those who enjoy historical dramas with romance.
½ October 30, 2017
(5.5 out of 6)
When others hold a firm grasp on the war, we can't hold onto any longer to what we have to face. When other things we rather face and have a firm grasp over we hold firm our word, when its all we got to offer. When no one hold our words for us to it being the only thing we have to offer being true. When time is changing and we no longer hold unto old ways we fight. When there is no time to be held up when we have to prepare while others wait. When we can't hold our excitement for their visits and returns to fall in love in a time of war. When holding onto other things is harder when visions and the future reveals tragic ends but don't know what it could mean to keep holding on hope.

When what we hold onto its what pulls us through to see another day when some fights are worth fighting and others we have no use for. When some moments we hold onto when they are precious when it's the first time we met. When we see we can't hold to one another when we are needed to hold such parts when war is immenent. When we are expected to hold our part as a man, soldier and master we hold strong.

While others hold onto God & shit that they only wish to release and retain over when we can't hold our mind, soul & body for too long. When other things we hold onto we use and hold our stomachs when it's intolerably not decent. When what other things that are indecent others hold onto while we fight to hold onto our senses when we are influenced. When something's are easy to hold unto when they are wanted to be worth a price for others to hold.

When we try to hold onto things but have no use when bartering and good nature pulls others through hard times. When we see we can hold our will, strength and urges more then others when some parts we are out matched and out numbered to hold our grounds. When what we can't keep hold of, others take away when others hold some parts as their own to govern. When what little we hold unto we must let go when there is not much to hold unto anymore. When what we no longer hold unto we put to good use when it's keeps other things going when it's survival, soul strengthening and nourishment. When what we hold unto is enough when it's a little before we are on our way when we are diserters. When we can't hold back our tears to those who we miss and other things we need to not fall for such traps. When knowing what lurks in some parts to hold unto what we need to keep us going. When other things we hold unto are last moments when it is farewell, tokens of appreciation, token of love, and hospitality. When other things people hold unto is all that is left when we are all that is left to hold unto. When what we have plenty enough to hold we share when there is enough place to hold for more than 2. When we miss holding someone like we used to to get the next best thing when somethings we miss is the company of someone. When we can't hold what is deep inside when it's heartbreaking to no longer hold unto them forever or for awhile long while. When what we hold unto makes us see beauty from within and out to hold back when we hold on our own quite well enough. When we hold some torches and flames for those to only let them go when some parts, life comes and goes that makes holding on not worth the time. When somethings we hold unto when it's alittle that we burrow deep inside to not let go long enough for their return. When others rather hold onto other things then love when it's a living when we see a future in somethings more than others. When what we hold onto we are good with our hands when we see clearly what others hold deeply for. When what others don't see oth moreers holding we see now when holding unto a little or plenty is enough to see what holding is all about when it means a little to alot we held this long. When some moments we hold unto are "a thousands moments within a moment" to see how much others are capable of holding. When time only tells what some moments are worth holding onto to meet again when it's all worth the wait.

When what little others hold onto we thank them out of respect. When what little time we had to hold onto we use the most of when death is everywhere and love is all we have to hold onto. When others hold onto hopes for the best others hold onto tricks to get by and others hold unto their charm, no disrespect and gratuity. When what we try to hold back for long we no longer can do any longer when its too much. When we no longer can hold on, we give up. When we cherish every moment we have to hold onto eachother, we have another reason to hold when it's a child to raise. When some peaceful moments we hold moments of joy for those who brought us all together and hold one another in times of war.
August 22, 2017
Best performances i've ever seen from Jude Law,Nicole AND especially RENEE ZELLWEGER.Well done Renee ! Well deserved Oscar.
April 19, 2017
Go watch this movie for the excellent performances and enjoy it!
½ January 29, 2017
Not far into the film there is a scene so incredibly terrifying and mind-blowing, depicting the pointlessness and cruelty of war like only the opening of Saving Private Ryan managed so far. From there, we follow the beginnings of a love story in flash backs while Law is trying to make his way back to Kidman from war. The people he encounters and situations he has to endure are incredibly dire and pessimistic, leaving little space for hope. The film is very beautifully shot and the story is engaging even through some slower parts. Whether you like the ending or not is for each to decide, I suppose.
November 24, 2016
Slow but interesting slice of life film. On Blu-ray.
½ October 25, 2016
confused as to why it wasn't actually filmed in North Carolina but pretty good movie.
July 17, 2016
A movie that isn't the slightest bit "relevant" in terms of necessary viewing, but it's still well-done, looks gorgeous, has a knockout cast (Brendan Gleeson is exceptionally great), and has a love story that surprisingly didn't make me want to vomit.
½ July 1, 2016
Not a sweeping epic but well-directed and powerfully acted.
June 5, 2016
85%
Saw this on 4/6/16
Though overlong, the extremely well shot anti-war romantic film has enough brutal images (of war) and romantic heft packed with a good cast. The scenaries and the cinematography is splendid and it gives the film an epic touch.
½ April 9, 2016
Another period piece that would benefit from a lot of cuts. This was too long. Too boring. It has it's moments, but ultimately mostly falters.
December 13, 2015
Watched it again or 3rd time.... Love it
December 12, 2015
Cold Mountain is a beautiful drama about that gives a backwoods portrayal of the brutality and cruelty that was so abundant during the civil war. The acting is excellent, the characters are very interesting, the story is epic and the battle scenes are thrilling. Nicole Kidman is magnetic, Renee Zellwegger is awesome as her companion, Jude Law makes a great disenchanted soldier and Hoffman gives his role as a dirty preacher a lot of depth.
December 2, 2015
AMAZING MOVIE I WATCH IT OVER AND OVER
½ November 9, 2015
Decent cast but Rene is the star. Quite a simple plot but easy to view and even if its a long film it never gets overly boring. Enjoyed even if it was pretty standard stuff.
½ September 20, 2015
Taking its cue from other sweeping Civil War epics (Gone with the Wind anyone?) Cold Mountain can't quite muster enough grandeur to be a classic.
August 24, 2015
i thought was a pretty good civil war movie
½ August 6, 2015
Good movie with talented artists who do a pretty good job
August 6, 2015
Come back to me.

In Cold Mountain North Carolina the news of the Civil War starts emerging and it quickly becomes apparent the south will be in the area drafting troops. Inman and Ada are a young couple just getting to know each other but they know they're in love and meant to be. The day of their first kiss will be the last time they see each other before Inman is sent to war. After 4 years of bloodshed and lost brothers, Inman heads home to hopefully marry the love of his life; however, the journey may be more challenging than he anticipates.

"Ain't no man around here better than me, because there ain't no man around here that ain't old or full of mischief."

Anthony Minghella, director of The English Patient, The Talented Mr. Ripley, Mr. Wonderful, Breaking and Entering, and Truly Madly Deeply, delivers Cold Mountain. The storyline for this picture is outstanding and a brilliant epic of life during the civil war. It was very brutal in some ways and a beautiful love story in others ways. The acting is perfect and the cast delivers breathtaking performances and includes Jude Law, Nicole Kidman, Renee Zellweger, Natalie Portman, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Brendan Gleeson, and Donald Sutherland.

"Was there something special you wished to say to me?"
"Nothing particular comes to mind."

I had not watched this in a long time but always remembered it being a great movie. I recently watched this again off Netflix and still found it so well done. The settings, characters, script, and storyline are all perfectly done. I strongly recommend seeing this picture and it is borderline worth adding to your DVD collection.

"I am going to make him hug me until I grunt."

Grade: A
August 3, 2015
All star cast, very good movie, very moving & inspirational