Cold Mountain - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cold Mountain Reviews

½ November 7, 2018
This film was almost good.
September 5, 2018
An accurate war-mongering side of "Gone with the Wind" in a similar epic sense of storytelling like a modern update to the historical facts, strongly both emotional in performances and visual in the brutal cost of a self-downfallen war. (B+)

(Full review TBD)
½ June 22, 2018
On a review streak. Watch another movie, only need to be awake for 10 minutes to still get the entire plot.
April 17, 2018
the land will not heal..

Cold Mountain

A typical love story set in a war zone that wanders onto the same lash and delivers it convincingly but unfortunately its the same meal we have been having for the course of its runtime. Anthony Minghella; also the director of The English Patient, is back with a similar project no matter how much admirable, in the end it all seems been-here-done-that. The feature scores majestically on performance level where Nicole Kidman, Jude Law and Renee Zellweger are doing some of their career's best work. Cold Mountain; being a character driven feature, goes deep into it where the priority is set to project the bonding between the lead characters (Jude restraining himself from being seduced and Nicole suffering through loss was the perfect way to bind this parallel roles on screen) which is fulfilled utterly by the script.
April 10, 2018
This is about as classic as it gets of a civil war movie without being too impersonal. Jude law and Nicole Kidman are perfect fits for these parts. Really sad movie. Really emotionally impacting.
½ April 2, 2018
Not a bad compelling story.
½ March 18, 2018
Painfully drawn out, but impactful
½ February 23, 2018
Natalie Portman's performance provoked raw emotion on my part.
½ January 27, 2018
180127: Down graded this film half a star. Still love it though. Bosie's (Charlie Hunnam) comment about having youth on his side is a classic; a classic mistake. Great music. All's good in this western world. LeMat pistol featured and inspiring me to buy one of my own.
January 5, 2018
Wonderful acting, beautiful scenery, scary and horrendous battle scenes and wonderful emotions of love, loss and angst.
December 24, 2017
Cold Mountain pulls you in for the war and drama! What a stellar cast that brings this great looking movie to life!
½ November 9, 2017
A solid historical epic covering the American Civil War. You can certainly tell it was directed by the same filmmaker who made The English Patient. It essentially feels like a slightly worse version of that film that takes place during the Civil War. Still, the epic sweep of the story is engaging, the numerous star actors bring solid performances and the few moments of battle are well done. Worth a watch for those who enjoy historical dramas with romance.
½ October 30, 2017
(5.5 out of 6)
When others hold a firm grasp on the war, we can't hold onto any longer to what we have to face. When other things we rather face and have a firm grasp over we hold firm our word, when its all we got to offer. When no one hold our words for us to it being the only thing we have to offer being true. When time is changing and we no longer hold unto old ways we fight. When there is no time to be held up when we have to prepare while others wait. When we can't hold our excitement for their visits and returns to fall in love in a time of war. When holding onto other things is harder when visions and the future reveals tragic ends but don't know what it could mean to keep holding on hope.

When what we hold onto its what pulls us through to see another day when some fights are worth fighting and others we have no use for. When some moments we hold onto when they are precious when it's the first time we met. When we see we can't hold to one another when we are needed to hold such parts when war is immenent. When we are expected to hold our part as a man, soldier and master we hold strong.

While others hold onto God & shit that they only wish to release and retain over when we can't hold our mind, soul & body for too long. When other things we hold onto we use and hold our stomachs when it's intolerably not decent. When what other things that are indecent others hold onto while we fight to hold onto our senses when we are influenced. When something's are easy to hold unto when they are wanted to be worth a price for others to hold.

When we try to hold onto things but have no use when bartering and good nature pulls others through hard times. When we see we can hold our will, strength and urges more then others when some parts we are out matched and out numbered to hold our grounds. When what we can't keep hold of, others take away when others hold some parts as their own to govern. When what little we hold unto we must let go when there is not much to hold unto anymore. When what we no longer hold unto we put to good use when it's keeps other things going when it's survival, soul strengthening and nourishment. When what we hold unto is enough when it's a little before we are on our way when we are diserters. When we can't hold back our tears to those who we miss and other things we need to not fall for such traps. When knowing what lurks in some parts to hold unto what we need to keep us going. When other things we hold unto are last moments when it is farewell, tokens of appreciation, token of love, and hospitality. When other things people hold unto is all that is left when we are all that is left to hold unto. When what we have plenty enough to hold we share when there is enough place to hold for more than 2. When we miss holding someone like we used to to get the next best thing when somethings we miss is the company of someone. When we can't hold what is deep inside when it's heartbreaking to no longer hold unto them forever or for awhile long while. When what we hold unto makes us see beauty from within and out to hold back when we hold on our own quite well enough. When we hold some torches and flames for those to only let them go when some parts, life comes and goes that makes holding on not worth the time. When somethings we hold unto when it's alittle that we burrow deep inside to not let go long enough for their return. When others rather hold onto other things then love when it's a living when we see a future in somethings more than others. When what we hold onto we are good with our hands when we see clearly what others hold deeply for. When what others don't see oth moreers holding we see now when holding unto a little or plenty is enough to see what holding is all about when it means a little to alot we held this long. When some moments we hold unto are "a thousands moments within a moment" to see how much others are capable of holding. When time only tells what some moments are worth holding onto to meet again when it's all worth the wait.

When what little others hold onto we thank them out of respect. When what little time we had to hold onto we use the most of when death is everywhere and love is all we have to hold onto. When others hold onto hopes for the best others hold onto tricks to get by and others hold unto their charm, no disrespect and gratuity. When what we try to hold back for long we no longer can do any longer when its too much. When we no longer can hold on, we give up. When we cherish every moment we have to hold onto eachother, we have another reason to hold when it's a child to raise. When some peaceful moments we hold moments of joy for those who brought us all together and hold one another in times of war.
August 22, 2017
Best performances i've ever seen from Jude Law,Nicole AND especially RENEE ZELLWEGER.Well done Renee ! Well deserved Oscar.
½ January 29, 2017
Not far into the film there is a scene so incredibly terrifying and mind-blowing, depicting the pointlessness and cruelty of war like only the opening of Saving Private Ryan managed so far. From there, we follow the beginnings of a love story in flash backs while Law is trying to make his way back to Kidman from war. The people he encounters and situations he has to endure are incredibly dire and pessimistic, leaving little space for hope. The film is very beautifully shot and the story is engaging even through some slower parts. Whether you like the ending or not is for each to decide, I suppose.
November 24, 2016
Slow but interesting slice of life film. On Blu-ray.
½ October 25, 2016
confused as to why it wasn't actually filmed in North Carolina but pretty good movie.
July 17, 2016
A movie that isn't the slightest bit "relevant" in terms of necessary viewing, but it's still well-done, looks gorgeous, has a knockout cast (Brendan Gleeson is exceptionally great), and has a love story that surprisingly didn't make me want to vomit.
½ July 1, 2016
Not a sweeping epic but well-directed and powerfully acted.
June 5, 2016
85%
Saw this on 4/6/16
Though overlong, the extremely well shot anti-war romantic film has enough brutal images (of war) and romantic heft packed with a good cast. The scenaries and the cinematography is splendid and it gives the film an epic touch.