Company Business - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Company Business Reviews

October 19, 2014
This film isn't bad, but it seems like it should have been a whole lot better considering the talent involved and a strong premiss. According to IMDB, director Nicholas Meyer was so annoyed at the studio's interference with this film's East vs West plot, that he recycled it on his next film, "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country," which is a far better film. Nicholas Meyer wrote and directed the film, and I've always thought of Meyer as someone who deserves more recognitions for reliably curing out good entertainment, ranging from "The Seven Percent Solution" to "The Wrath of Khan." In this film Gene Hackman is a retired CIA agent who is called back to facilitate a prisoner exchange with the Soviets. Mikhail Baryshnikov is the Russian prisoner. Things are not what they seem and Gene and Mikhail end up on the run from both the East and West. Kurtwood Smith and Terry O'Quinn play US baddies. There are some great moments sprinkled throughout the film, but you can definitely tell there was tinkering as the tone and focus of the story seems to make some wild shifts throughout. Michael Kamen provides one of his standard action film scores. Hackman is great and manages to carry much of the film on his shoulders, making it watchable, but this film should have been a whole lot better.
½ August 3, 2013
Not the best spy VS spy flick I've ever seen, but not the worst either.
March 7, 2013
A former agent of the Central intelligence Agency (Gene Hackman) is called back to duty for a prisoner exchange in Berlin, Germany, when he is told to escort a former KGB agent (Russian ballet star Mikhail Baryshnikov) for the exchange. Part of the exchange includes $2-million in drug money.

At the exchange, which takes place in an abandoned, blocked off subway tunnel, something is wrong and gunfire is exchanged.

Now, the two aged agents must go on an international search to find the truth of who was behind the assassination attempt, which may involve a combined effort of the CIA and KGB.

This is a disappointing adventure film. The drama is pretty weak, and there is very weak adventure. There are even weak plot twists that are not too surprising.

I also felt that there was little to no chemistry between Hackman and Baryshnikov. Out of the two lead actors, I felt that Baryshnikov gave the weakest performance. Baryshnikov was not believable as a former KGB agent, and he was just plain weak all around in the movie. Hackman's performance was not his best either. His performance, though slightly better than Baryshnikov's, was one-dimensional as was his character.

In fact, the character development in this film was real weak in this film. I felt that there was no development with either lead character that made them interesting, and there was no development in those trying to stop them from finding out the truth.

Another problem with this film is that it's dated. Because it takes place near the end of the Cold War, we get dated references to that time. Unless you are old enough to remember that time, you would be completely oblivious to any of the references mentioned in this film.

There was nothing special with those trying to stop them in fact. And their performances lacked in just about everything to make them interesting. I really didn't care about who they were and why they were after the two leads.

I also felt that the surprise plot twists pretty much flopped, and many things were pretty predictable. In one scene, when Baryshnikov's character finds Hackman's character at the Safe House in Berlin, they go across the street and Baryshnikov begins to shoot the doorbell, missing the first two times he fires. The third time's the charm, and the building explodes. You pretty much knew what was going to happen when Baryshnikov asks Hackman for his gun. And there is a little joke in their conversation where Hackman gives Baryshnikov his silencer so that the neighbors aren't woken up as the weapon is fired.

That little silencer bit is the only little bit of humor I honestly can remember in the entire movie. If there were any zingers from anybody in this movie that was meant as a joke, I completely missed it.

The music was pretty forgettable in the film. I think that there were only instrumentals in the entire film in fact. And we never see a hint of Baryshnikov's dancing background in this movie, which could have been used for a quick-witted one-liner from Hackman.

According to some sites I read, Baryshnikov simply hated the finished product and refused to participate in the promotion of this movie. And I can't blame him. The movie is a weak effort on the part of the script writers and just about everybody else involved.

If you want to waste time, then check this movie out on HBO or another movie channel on a rainy day when there is nothing better to do. But don't expect a good movie, because this one simply is not one.
½ January 28, 2013
Good light-hearted spy action/ road buddy film. Always great Hackman ensures an entertaining time. Well worth watching family-friendly fun with great European scenery.
½ October 13, 2012
In "Company Business", writer/director Nicholas Meyer makes a commendable effort to create a tightly plotted, top-of-the-line Hollywood thriller, but the whole affair unfortunately falls flat. Plagued with the need for constant re-writes (due to the changing political scene in Russia at the time) and a rather uncooperative lead by Gene Hackman (who wanted to bow out of production a mere two weeks before principle photography began), Meyer was left with a screenplay that only sort of makes sense and a film that only sort of works. Some sequences are a hit (e.g. the opening caper sequence and a tense exchange in the Berlin subway), while others... not so much. I still enjoyed "Company Business", it's just sad to know how much better it could've been.
½ July 19, 2010
In the wake of the Cold War and the fall of the Berlin Wall, nobody quite knew what was going to happen next or just what shape the world would take. Many movies that came out in that time dealt with our new relationship with a nation we'd been mortal enemies of for as long as most people could remember. This is one such film, teaming an semi-retired CIA agent and a former spy in an adventure into the heart of Europe and of the new order. Excellent supporting actors and strong leads make the film fairly watchable. But the story doesn't really go anywhere.
November 10, 2009
Nothing much to hold your attention here, and certainly no character development. Baryshnikov should have stuck to dancing, and Hackman's talents are wasted.
½ November 4, 2009
A bit of a poor showing for all three...Meyer, Hackman and Baryshnikov. Kind of a cross between The French Connection and White Nights... funny that.
But Meyer...Meyer...what happened? Not convincing at all and uninspired acting and editing. Caught somewhere between the end of the Cold War and the beginning of the Clinton era...it's references and inside jokes are lost. Good thing Hackman is always fun to watch.
½ September 4, 2009
haha an old old old spy movieB-) honestly i cant fully understand the whole story just by myself, needa ask dad, so i didnt enjoy watching it very much. but overall it's still not bad.
½ August 28, 2009
Probably an under-rated movie, arguablly not of the best of cold war movies, ironically one of Hackman's best decisions in accepting the role, Mikhail Baryshnikov's rare appearance is memorable even way more than Hackman's long career, awesome twists in the tale, a terrific one for cold war movies genre freaks, just not the best.
August 17, 2009
What could have been a great low-tech, on-the-lam spy drama is ruined by too much editing and a plot that just never adds up. Hackman is solid as a semi-retired old spy armed with a Swiss army knife, but Baryshnikov never really seems to get into his role. It has its moments, but overall the film just rambles on like a slow-moving train without a conductor.
July 28, 2008

March 8, 2008
terrible piece of shite from a long time ago. i don't know who this was written by, but that person wants a beating.
½ February 26, 2008
cold war film is pretty good.
½ February 26, 2008
Una de mis preferidas!
February 19, 2008

January 3, 2008
Typical, but Gene Hackman is always cool to watch. I mean, a movie about a spy who is overweight, balding and sporting a sweet 'stache is going to have a lot of fun elements to it. Despite this, the movie is somewhat of a flop when it comes to plot, but who is counting, really?
October 26, 2007
tries hard to be a serious spy flick but is not very successfull. not too bad a film though
September 1, 2007
Hackman in a more comedic film than usual and ex-Soviet ballet dancer Mikhail Baryshnikov in a rare movie appearence make this a very interesting film. It's pretty light as far as spy thrillers go but it works on its own level, and Baryshnikov isn't as bad an actor as you might expect. In any case it's surely a better idea to watch him in this than in SATC.