Concussion Reviews

• May 06, 2019

The topic was great but I thought the movie missed on some of the key elements story. I know they have to make some people out to be the bad guys in these films but I felt they did a poor job of showing the NFL's side of things, specifically Goodell and hearing him talk more about the issue.

• Apr 25, 2019

Will Smith, in one of his best roles since Ali!

Will Smith, in one of his best roles since Ali!

• Feb 06, 2019

Very interesting and sad movie about the initial revelations of brain trauma suffered by NFL players. Enough to make one suggest that none of my grandsons come near gridiron football which, living in Australia, they probably won't!

• Dec 28, 2018

Very interesting, well-thought out and communicated.

Very interesting, well-thought out and communicated.

• Nov 04, 2018

Concussion is an okay film. It is about accomplished pathologist who uncovers the truth about brain damage in football players who suffer repeated concussions in the course of normal play in Pittsburgh. Will Smith and Alec Baldwin give decent performances. The screenplay is a little slow in places. Peter Landesman did an alright job directing this movie. I liked this motion picture because of the drama.

• Sep 25, 2018

Professionally made and well cast investigative drama has good intentions revealing a suppressed truth about professional American football, but remains very much in the conventions of this subgenre.

• Sep 01, 2018

a pathos art.. Concussion Concussion is a character driven dramatic biography about a man whose good deeds were piled upon by the commercial politics of the country. Unlike any other biographies, it doesn't start from zero, it accounts in only and only essential bits of the protagonist's life to keep the audience rooting for it as much as possible. But this concept fails miserably, as it starts aging on screen and the primary reason to that is the inability of the makers to know the difference between an elaborated script and an overstretched one. Ticking for around two hours, the feature tests viewers patience with only few good moments here and there for them to survive. Brimmed with power packed performance and huge star cast, the makers wisely milks every drop out of the them by offering enough range for them to flaunt. Despite of a sloppy narration, there is a lot of craft to admire, especially the way it manipulates emotions out of the audience; Smith is in his A game. The background score is non-existent as in it barely factors in with creative cinematography that works only half of the time. The camera work is handled manually to offer a more personal touch to the viewers. Landesman's world is lazy and incompetent whilst it should have been busy and in need of an emergency. As mentioned earlier, Smith has never been better with Baldwin supporting him with all his potential and Mbatha-Raw being the only weak link on the performance objective. Not only does the adaptation need polishing and better editing, but so does the execution which is unfeasibly low in here. Stellar performances and multiple perspective that the screenplay enfolds in are the high points of the feature. Concussion is a pathos art, where innocence is the protagonist and the big guns of the makers but unfortunately it too runs out of ammo.

• Aug 23, 2018

I always like compelling true stories and this movie is no exemption. Will Smith delivered a solid performance. A little dry at times, but that's what true life is like right?

• Jun 19, 2018

Though more dramatic than I think was necessary, and inclusive of story elements that seemed gratuitous, the subject matter in "Concussion" is yet another story that had to be told. Like "The Big Short," another Oscar-contender tackles (pardon the pun) a topic that most Americans should have seen coming long ago, yet we collectively bury our reality TV heads in the sand. Who in the world didn't think repetitively hitting your head against another head at full force for years wouldn't have long term consequences? File this one under DUH. Cinematically, it's too long, has some questionable directorial choices, but the script and acting are solid. While I don't think it's Will Smith's best (that one is from "Pursuit of Happyness"), he is due. I hope he is recognized for it in some capacity. Albert Brooks and Alec Baldwin are, as always, wonderful to watch.

• May 26, 2018

This is definitely an important subject, and one that has gotten a lot of publicity, even before this movie came out (on Real Sports, for example). I'm not sure how cinematic the story is though, and that was the root of most of my problems with this movie. They try to add in a love story, and a semi-car chase, and other dramatic elements they don't need. It's not a bad movie. The performances are good (I especially liked Albert Brooks), and I think it has a good message. I don't think I learned anything by watching this though. And Luke Wilson as Roger Goodell??