Contempt - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Contempt Reviews

½ September 30, 2016
Fresh. Vibrant. Nonsensical. Teasing. Liberating. Yet whenever key characters meet their unforeseen out of the blue violent end (be it in a novel like Genius and Goddess by Huxley or on blue screen) it tricks me into thinking that either someone has run out of ideas or the budget's talking. Nevertheless, time well spent.
½ August 25, 2016
I like this film's unique style, cinematography and some of the subtext, but on a purely subjective note, I'm really ambivalent to the story and the characters. Any enjoyment I mine from this film is visual.
June 8, 2016
It's a fight against the Gods.

Paul convinces his beautiful wife they must take this project in an eccentric country with a rich history and a rich storyline for a monumental movie. Meanwhile, Paul's business partner and producer makes moves on his wife while they're in the foreign country. Paul will need to decide what is more important, his project or his marriage.

"A wise man does not impress others with his superiority."

Jean-Luc Godard, director of Alphaville, Breathless, Bridges of Sarajevo, Goodbye to Language, In Praise of Love, Soft and Hard, Hail Mary, and Every Man for Himself, delivers Contempt. The storyline for this picture is very interesting and well told. The characters are fascinating and well written and perfectly portrayed. The cast delivers excellent performances and include Jack Palace, Brigitte Bardot, Michel Piccoli, Fritz Lang, and Giorgia Moll.

"To know it is a mistake keeps one from making it."

I randomly came across this on FIOS and had to DVR it. This was a very well done and portrayed film. The plot comes together well and has several fascinating scenarios. This is a unique film with clever writing that is worth seeing at least once.

"I don't believe in modesty. I believe in pride."

Grade: B+
May 17, 2016
marin.hillstad@gmail
January 10, 2016
One of Godard's most melancholic films, which isn't necessarily attractive giving how the director is well regarded as being one of the most playful of the French New Wave. At times the film feels unnecessarily melodramatic, and the repetitive score verges on being annoying. Still, Contempt is a very admirable film that looks into the dire failures of a marriage, all while transfixed upon a more interesting theme: the loss of artistry through the studio process. Godard's directing style captivates, even if he arguably made more memorable images in black and white, and his quartet of leads all seem to understand how his style works (casting director Fritz Lang to play a fictionalized version of himself didn't hurt either). Not Godard's best, but Contempt is a film that's strengths couldn't be unlocked by any other director.
½ January 1, 2016
Very lyrical! One of Godard's best.
½ December 23, 2015
Le Mepris, translated as "Contempt" is an appropriate title, considering Jean Luc-Goddard's feeling towards the rampant capitalism infecting the film industry, and the fact that this film is a searing expose on the manmade hurtles of filmmaking. Goddard's adaptation of the Alberto Moravia novel pokes fun athe rampant shallowness and materialism looming over the horizon, all while serenading us with sexy sports cars, beautiful women, retina-burning color, breathtaking backdrops and Georges Deleure's hypnotic score. If the opening sequence, one continuous take with spoken credits, followed by a 5 minute shot of Brigitte Bardot's derrière doesn't win you over, keep going. Because even if you don't care for Goddard's biting satirical elements, or the ingenious tributes to Homer's The Odyssey, watch it at least to experience what it's like when a painting comes to life for 102 minutes. It's euphoric.
½ October 24, 2015
A powerful and devastating story that depicts with painful honesty the gradual dismantling of a marriage triggered by an ambiguous lack of trust, and it is a big-budget Godard gem that blends sentiment and intellectual musings in a very unique way.
½ September 21, 2015
Two things I'm learning about French cinema: I dig earlier Godard to his later output and holy shit, Brigitte Bardot!

Well worth a look, track it down and give it a rental.
June 30, 2015
Good in terms of color, proportion and contrast...
April 5, 2015
Capturing interpretation of the "The Odyssey" Greek myth.
March 7, 2015
2nd time watching this, it's a film worth seeing a few times. It follows the disintegration of a marriage, and is also about film-making. Bardot is stunning in this, as is the scenery. I love Fritz Lang in this, and he's one of my favourite directors, he plays himself here. This is Godard's best in my opinion. Check it out!
March 5, 2015
A weak-willed screenwriter's marriage crumbles as he has doubts about his new job. When he finally faces his tyrannical producer, the man runs off with his wife (the ravishing Brigitte Bardot), to dire circumstances. This film is a cynical portrayal about the sacrifice of life over art, with an amazing portrayal by Fritz Lang, playing himself.
½ November 16, 2014
I couldn't stay awake through it
November 14, 2014
Interesting but ultimately a bit too repetitious for my tastes.
October 1, 2014
A heartbreaking story about falling out of love filled with beautiful imagery. My favorite Godard.
September 23, 2014
reminded me of trauffots 'day for night"
September 19, 2014
Dated, but pure cinematic art at it's most experimental -- and, oddly, its most conventional.
½ August 22, 2014
Comparing with the acclaimed quarrel scene in the house, I consider Georges Delerue's score is of more accolade.
½ August 15, 2014
Fabulous piece of French film history. Not my favorite of Godard's films, but if Zoe Kazan forgives me than I guess it's okay! It's a bit slow and depressing complete with a lovely score that is obnoxiously loud compared to the rest of the film and only comes in 10 second swells to cover dialogue at pivotal moments :) The scenes in the apartment are the best, and the lengthiness of them makes it feel like you're a voyeur into the crumbling relationship the film presents. The ongoing metaphor with The Odyssey and film-within-a-film make this worth a peep.