Contraband - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Contraband Reviews

September 16, 2017
Not bad and definitely entertaining.
½ September 15, 2017
I randomly caught this one on TV, I was in no mood to watch a movie, it just came on.

It seems like such a generic film, nothing overly interesting or original about the plot, it's carried by great actors. Marky Mark puts in some work, being a large portion of why I even continued to watch this movie. The script seems to be a mash up of cliches, from the one last heist to the we have your family bit.

It isn't something you need to see, but it's something that is worth seeing.
½ September 1, 2017
Exciting and gripping in places. Would possibly be quite a shit film if it didn't have mark whalberg in it.
½ June 3, 2017
Enjoyable thriller featuring Wahlberg as a past smuggler trying to keep clean but forced back into it when his brother-in-law botches up a drug run. All the characters here are surprisingly reprehensable, including Wahlberg, and that's what makes this interesting. Rather enjoyable time--killer.
December 30, 2016
It's good movie to watch
½ December 11, 2016
It features all you can expect from a Hollywood action blockbuster.
½ November 29, 2016
t realized I watched this. Ben Foster was pretty convincing but what was the actual point of it? Don't import contraband unless you are Mark Wahlberg in whihc case it is ok because you will only be importing counterfeit money and stolen paintings.
½ November 24, 2016
this movie was a dud and ribisi has never acted so horribly in his life.
September 19, 2016
Favorite Mark Wahlberg movie!
August 25, 2016
Slick action caper. Mark Wahlberg, his wife Kate Beckinsale and 2 boys live modestly. Mark used to be a top notch smuggler but now become a security system installer. Caleb Landry Jones, brother of Kate, throw away a bag of cocaine on board a vessel when police spot check. It anger the boss Giovanni Ribisi who want compensate or else death. Mark try to nego but it didn't work and so to ease Kate worry he has to return to his crime in order to pay the debt. With the help of his best friend Ben Foster and old pals from the vessel business, he embark to Panama to get top grade counterfeit uncut money. JK Simmons is the captain and he knew of his past. Mark found a place to hide the stash on board. Giovanni visit Kate and taunt them. Mark tell her to stay with Ben for the time being. After Mark manage to bribe some people and stall time, his gang make the way to take the money but its not the quality he wants. He has to visit local gangster which is risky. Giovanni threaten Caleb and he is force to take the cash and run away, making Mark in the mercy of the gang boss. They go rob a money truck as payment and have gun battle with the cops. Mark manage to get away with everything when the baddies are all dead. It is reveal Ben owes money for his failed business and he needs to repay or die. And make use of this chance to work with Giovanni who in the 1st place has no idea Caleb is related to Mark. He said to Kate he might dump the money to sea. When Ben overheard Kate, he tell Giovanni to frighten her. He talk too much and nearly kill her but Ben step in. Kate tell Mark and he now find Ben fishy. Ben who always like her confront her when she pack her luggage and push the door hard which knock her head on the table counter and she die. Mark call Ben to warn him. Ben has no way out and he call JK warning him of Mark smuggling on board. Mark has already remove the hidden stash and use science to make the money sink below the sea surface to hide from everyone. JK can't force info out and he call the marine cops. Reaching port, Caleb is caught by Giovanni. Mark lead them to JK house unknowingly to them to find another bunch of cocaine. The alarm system is triggered and everyone are caught but Mark escape way before. Ben wrap Kate's body and throw into a hole, prepare to be hidden in cement forever. Mark beat him up in his office but still he don't want to reveal what happen to her. Mark call the cell and it ring in her wrap and manage to save her in time. In jail, Ben is gonna get it big time because Mark's father is also in jail. Mark's pals fish out the stash of money now floating and sell it to a buyer. Mark and Kate enjoy the good life from the rewards and probably swear off this job.
½ August 22, 2016
Good attempt at a thrilling movie. Lots of action, suspense, and heart-pounding moments. Mark Wahlberg puts on a good performance, and so this movie will be a good addition to his filmography.
jamrcla
½ July 20, 2016
Just another typical action flick from Mark Wahlberg but it does have allot of twists and turns that help the film feel fresh but none are really great as the film starts to get predictable, With hardly any action scenes it can drag abit but it's not a terrible film as it had some clever and gripping scenes but it's nothing too new or memorable.
June 14, 2016
This is simply a really bad movie.
½ June 12, 2016
Retired thug returns to the game after his brother in law racks up a debt to drug lords. This action pic tries to entertain us even though the subject matter isn't entertaining.
½ April 21, 2016
Generic, redundant, predictable and convoluted are the first thoughts that come to my mind after watching Mark Wahlberg's Contraband, but boring is not. Which means however bad or hole-ridden the script and screenplay were, the director managed to deliver a racy entertainer that doesn't let those earlier thoughts come up while watching it.

Chris Farraday (Mark Wahlberg) is an ex-con/smuggler turned legit after he started a family with Kate (Kate Beckinsale). Kate's brother Andy (Caleb Landry Jones) gets in the bad books of a local gang after a deal goes wrong. After Tim Briggs (Giovanni Ribisi) the current boss of the local gang puts pressure on Andy to come up with the money, Chris has to go back to his old ways for the sake of the family to do one last job.

Mark Wahlberg and Ben Foster goes over their roles robotically while Giovanni Ribisi just changed his appearance a bit while rolling away his trademark accent and voice diction. Only Kate Beckinsale looked like the only one in the movie who had a little motivation to perform though the scope was for just a couple of minutes. On the direction front, the look and feel of the movie is slick with minimal but contemporary background score. Though the events unfold in blinding speed, they do not look rushed until it reaches a later part in the movie. Most of the subplots felt contrived and a bit too many considering its linear narrative. Though the screenplay relies on what-happens-next format, it hardly generates enough suspense or ends up building up pressure points on highly predictable or non-surprising revelations.

A forgettable caper unworthy of the talent representing it.
April 3, 2016
It was ok but nothing memorable.
December 10, 2015
Typical heist type movie, not anything too surprising from any area
½ December 3, 2015
Contraband is your average pretty good action film. I don't know about all these "twists" the other reviewers are talking about, but that's just me. I think the story is rather predictable and not that original. But regardless of all that I found Contraband to be really entertaining actually. Maybe I am just a fan of Mark Wahlberg, but the movie just fit him perfectly for some reason. The reformed criminal trying to do good for his family gets thrown back into the crime world for one last hoorah to save his idiot brother in law. Wahlberg is fine, but with a better cast of actors around him I think this movie really could have been something. I like all the actors in it, I just thought they were sub par at best, not lifting the material of the subject matter to what it could actually be. Giovanni Ribisi, who I like most of the time plays the villain in this movie. I am not really sure what he was shooting for with the strange accent and annoying high pitched voice, but he didn't frighten me at all, not convincing as a mean crime lord. But the movie itself is fun and enjoyable for a run of the mill action flick. A movie I would not go out of my way to purchase with money, but if happen to be on TV or streaming and there was nothing else on, I would definitely give it a shot.
½ December 2, 2015