Coraline - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Coraline Reviews

October 16, 2016
Laika studios has never been known for their large audiences, due to the fact that they are extremely unique in style and will stick strictly to telling an incredible story that hardcore film fans will surely eat up. In 2009, Coraline marked the beginning of this trend, creating unique visual style of filmmaking that had been attempted many times in the past, but never quite perfected as terrifically as this. Sure, they have improved in their stop-motion animation styles over the years with Paranorman, The Boxtrolls, and their most recent outing in Kubo and the Two Strings, but if not for Coraline, this studio would not be where it is today. Over seven years later and this film still holds up as magical and inventive.

Following a young girl (Coraline) as she moves into a new home with her family, she discovers a doorway to mirrored world after coming across a doll that had been made to look like her. In this other world, she has the same friends, family, and home as in her reality, but everything seems to be perfect. No hardships or troubles, until one day when she must stay on that side or find a way out. The way this studio displays their animation style is nothing short of brilliant. In a way, this film is one big metaphor for how they are able to transport viewers into an entirely new way of viewing cinema. This studio is unlike any other out there today and I look forward to every one of their projects to come.

This film is best viewed during the month of October, due to its eerie feel and Halloween-ish tones. This begs the question of whether or not it will be too scary for children, being an animation film and all. Luckily, Coraline is just the right blend of kid-friendly and mature. There is something here for all ages. Having a child protagonist definitely helps stretch the target audience, but this film is made for film fans first, without question. This story may have a few elements that are a little hard for younger audiences to follow, but travelling back and forth through worlds will easily be enough to keep them engaged.

Whether a film is live-action, computer animated, or filmed entirely with stop-motion, audiences have come to expect a certain basic look in order to feel like they are watching art. Coraline is the exactly definition of a film that takes risks and strays from that formula quite a bit. Having dutch angles, vertigo shots, and slow push-ins, this film displays itself as an animated film that can accomplish any kind of shot it wants, due to the fact that it is animated. That being said, it is all shot through photography and miniature sets, which makes it that much more impressive. Once you get past the awe that everything you are seeing is actually real, Coraline does not hesitate to transport you into its gloriously beautiful world.

From the amazingly gorgeous score, to the incredibly realistic visuals, to the intriguing story from start to finish, Coraline is a revelation of an animated film. Gleaming with imagination from beginning to end, this film never fails to surprise its viewers. Emotionally strong when it needs to be without going too far over-the-top, while still remaining fun enough to keep kids more entertained then freaked out, Coraline is a display of animated perfection. Seven years after its initial release and I could not be happier with how much this film is able to hold itself up. It will very quickly become a classic in about ten years from now, if it hasn't already. I love every second of this film.
½ October 15, 2016
je les même pas regardà (C) au complet....
½ October 15, 2016
Coraline (2009) - Is a very smart and very imaginative stop motion movie. I Absolutely love the animation in this movie. It's enchanting as well as spooky. When Coraline is enjoying an experience in the other world i feel like i'm with her enjoying that experience along with her. The characters are also very well done and they have very realistic personality traits as well as very artistic designs. The story is very well paced as well as very well told. I always look forward to watching this movie every Halloween. (A)
October 14, 2016
Great start for Laika
October 8, 2016
Laika's first film and my favorite of theirs. This is one of the coolest and most interesting stories I've seen in a while and, thanks to Henry Selick's incredible direction, it's just filled to the brim with atmosphere and chills that'll get you hooked from the very first shot. It is also one of the few American animated features that does not try to be a comedy. Think about that. That's how one dimensional we are when it comes to animation. It's also is one of the rare instances where seeing the movie had me wanting to read the book. Anyway, go watch it. It's pretty amazing.
½ October 4, 2016
Coraline is filled with impeccable stop-motion animation, great voice acting, and a lot of creepy shit. I really enjoyed the animation in this one, each scene has a dark but still kind of enjoyable feel to it. The stop motion is hardly noticeable at all, and it felt like I was watching a CGI rendition of these characters. Each scene is beautifully lit and colored to perfection. The voice work was all top notch, I really liked each character and I loved how different and strange they all were. Coraline also features maybe the best villain I've ever seen in a stop motion film, and maybe even a kids film with The Other Mother, hands down one of the creepiest characters I've seen. It almost qualifies as a horror film, kids would definitely be frightened by everything happening to the main character and the weird imagery on screen. I definitely found it unnerving at times, but I wouldn't say scary, just really unsettling for a kids movie. Coraline is something unlike I've ever seen, and doubt I'll see again
October 2, 2016
4/5. Creepy, entertaining, and surprisingly disturbing for a kids' movie.
September 29, 2016
Great animated film that has a distinct tone that might not suit everybody. The characters are strong and the direction is faultless. The film takes an interesting turn around the midway point that is typical of the author. I can't recommend this highly enough.
September 25, 2016
La animación es muy buena, se ve muy bien, me parece asombroso todo lo que estas personas hacen con películas así, la historia es buena y los personajes crecen, al principio los padres no me gustaron pero finalmente me terminaron de convencer.
½ September 19, 2016
An imaginative, beautiful, and engaging fantasy with a moral to the story. Wonderful and just a bit twisted!
½ September 18, 2016
Beautifully animated, 'Coraline' is an excellent work that is both scary and lovely.
September 12, 2016
El director Henry Selick vuelve al mundo del stop-motion ("The Nightmare Before Christmas", "James And The Giant Peach"), con una deliciosa versión gótica de "Alicia a traves del espejo", cortesía de Neil Gaiman ("Sandman"). Este debut de los estudios Laika demuestra la efectividad de una historia sutil, muy emocional y enfocada a un público más preadolescente y adolescente que infantil.
September 11, 2016
Another great stop motion animation that will enlightened and frightened children; "Coraline" shines with its coming of age story where Coraline must choose between her real family or a family that she always wanted. The animation might be creepy for some, but for others who enjoy a unique experience, this film delivers thanks to a couple of eccentric characters and cool imagery.
½ September 7, 2016
The wife and I finally gave this one a look and I was very pleased with it overall, a dark and fun children's story with just enough of Neil Gaiman's trademark weirdness to make certain that I stayed engaged.

Well worth a look.
August 30, 2016
muy buena pelicula animada,henry selick es genial,me sigue gustando más el extraño mundo de jack ,pero esta peli es una obra maestra.
½ August 29, 2016
Non riesco a concepire quanta immaginazione possano avere le menti che hanno ideato un opera così fantasiosa. Fin da subito il film si mostra molto originale e sopra le righe, con disegni strani e a dir poco inquietanti. Visivamente è incredibile, non penso di aver mai visto niente di simile, ma concettualmente mi aspettavo più significato simbolico e una morale più evidente. Ciò nonostante ho apprezzato moltissimo lo stile unico di Coraline e non vedo l'ora di vedere gli altri film della stessa casa di produzione.
August 28, 2016
My sister has the film for a long time and i wach a glimpse of it, i'll continue watching it in another chance..

Finish watching it! A little bit scary but the story is amazing, it's about family value, how you need to appreciate everything that your family does to you no matter how lack your life situation is, they're the best/truest people you can get. ^^
August 27, 2016
One of my favorite animated films of all time. Does a great job of setting up a unique atmosphere & slowly building tension as well as wonder. I strongly recommend this one.
½ August 27, 2016
Worst kid movie ever. Scary, confusing, pointless, and according to my 8 year old - lame, and according to my 6 year old - an idiot show.