Coraline - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Coraline Reviews

½ April 13, 2018
Well, this sure was a doozy. I'd never seen Coraline before and I had high expectations as everyone told me that this move was great, horrifying, and beautiful. While it was very well done and one of the better animated films out there, I feel it lacked something that all great movies have: Audience Appeal. If I had seen this when I was in the target range for the rating such as 6-8, I would have been scared for life. Don't show this to your kids if they're under 10 years old. It was truly a beautiful and perfectly well done film, and I loved it.
April 11, 2018
Wonderful animation supplemented by genuinely interesting characters and a fresh, if strange and fairytale-esque, story. Every character from the Beldam to Coraline herself is wonderfully designed and painstakingly animated, as always Laika Studios does not disappoint. The color scheme, music, and general ascetics make for some of the most beautiful ambients ever to be seen on a screen, where even though it's stop motion, you feel immersed and to top it all off, it has a great message, that of family bonding and parental love.
½ April 8, 2018
I loved it. It's creepy but not too creepy! My brother read the book in grade school and says it's fairly close to the novel.
April 4, 2018
The animation is awesome-especially in 3D.Timeless and wonderful.Another Tim Burton masterpiece.Really love this movie.
March 29, 2018
Somebody's dark fantasy is incredibly put on display in the form of tarnished but lush world.
March 29, 2018
Very creepy. Made me a bit scared of my phone for a while
Not really a kid movie.
½ March 22, 2018
Stylistic horror delivers action and comedy
½ March 19, 2018
People have gone on and on about this film and I'm tired of hearing about it
March 17, 2018
Coraline is a dark fantasy claymation film that was released in 2009. It made a total of 35.6 million at the box office. It follows the story of Coraline, a young girl just moved to a new town. With no friends, and parents who pay no attention to her, she longs for a world where she is loved. After finding a secret door in her home, it transports her to a world where "Everything's better... but it's all a trap." Although it is rated PG, most do not consider it a suitable movie for children. This has caused some controversy over the movie, causing people to dislike it. However, the purpose of this essay is to show that coraline is a well made film because of its unique characters, meaningful theme, and it's animation.
Part of what makes "Coraline" such a good movie is the characters. There are so many unique and interesting characters in this story. Coraline, for example, is far from your everage eleven-year-old girl portrayed in film. Roger Ebert explains in his movie review of the movie that, "She's unpleasant, complains, and has an attitude". It is refreshing to see a contrast from the happy-go-lucky little girl that most films portray. Another great character, frightening as she is, is the Other Mother, also known as the Beldam. Ebert states that, "'Coraline' is disturbing not for gory images but for the story it tells. That's rare in itself: Lots of movies are good at severing limbs, but few at telling tales that can grab us down inside where it's dark and scary." It takes a very well made character to be so terrifying without falling back on the use of gore. A lot of skill is required to create such dimensional and interesting characters, and they are what help bring this story to life.
The theme "Be careful what you wish for" is shown through the startling film, as Coraline soon realises that this "magic world" she wished for is anything but a paradise. Although Coraline's life could be better, she lives in a good home, with all the basic necessities, and her life could certainly be worse. Wishing for this utopian world where everyone worships her is what brought the curse of the Beldham upon her. By the time that she realizes that she wants no part of this sinister world, it is too late, and the Beldham has her in her trap. Not wanting to become one of the Other Mother's "dolls", she makes a deal with her and is able to save herself, her parents, and the lost souls that had been imprisoned. Not only is this film able to show the theme in a striking way, but it is also able to be resolved to give viewers a sense of conclusion.
Anyone who has viewed this film can concede to the fact that "Coraline" has beautiful animation. After 83 weeks of filming, this stop motion claymation film was brought to life. Being the first film of its kind to be offered in 3d, it took a even deeper step to pull viewers into this dark world. Not only is the cinematography aesthetically pleasing to watch, but it helps set the mood of the entire film. Every scene helps bring about the gloomy, uneasiness of the film. Even in scenes where the other world is made up to be a bright, beautiful place, the style and animation make it hard to trust that this place is truly harmless. It is easy to observe all the hard work put into making this film what it truly is - a masterpiece. With years in pre-production and filming, it is difficult to not be in awe at every scene.
On the other hand, some people say that "Coraline" is a bad film because it is scary, and marketed as a children's film. This point of view makes sense because the film is rated PG, and it is quite terrifying at times. However, the official genre of "Coraline"is a fantasy thriller. In the rating it says that there are frightening images. Parents should be well aware of what kind of movie they are having their children watch, and know their child well enough to know whether or not they would be able to handle the content in the film. A. O. Scott explains in his review of the film that, "the cultivation of fright can be one of the great pleasures of youthful moviegoing." Many children enjoy a bit of a scare, so it is unfair to judge a film based on the ignorance of parents.
There are many elements of 'Coraline" that make it such a great movie. The characters are very unique, and make the story interesting. The theme holds a good lesson and is portrayed through the film very well. The animation helps show the mood of this film, and makes it aesthetically pleasing. It is important that we give "Coraline" the credit it deserves, instead of just blindly assuming that it is a bad film. It is important to make decisions for ourselves, and go into anything - movies, classes, etc - with an open mind. Otherwise, you may miss out on something very extraordinary.
½ March 16, 2018
Nice & funny and few scary
March 15, 2018
not for all ages but for all family
½ February 11, 2018
In the spirit of Tim Burton, the world of Coraline requires a certain amount of willingness on the part of the viewer to come along for the eccentric ride. But once you give in to the quirky world (and the second world that further awaits) you'll be treated to an entertaining and girl-empowering story that, while not perfect, is an entertaining journey.
February 3, 2018
One of my personal favorites. Soundtrack is amazing!
February 3, 2018
I love this movie! It is visually entertaining. This movie may frighten young viewers. The movie is very dark and creepy. Instant classic!
January 15, 2018
Just to be upfront here, I love Coraline. I loved the book, and the movie may be even better. I used to count it among my top 10 favorite movies until Laika's next movie, ParaNorman, dethroned it. Even so, this is an incredible movie. All the more incredible due to the fact that I used to hat stop motion animation. I always found it unpleasant and creepy. I hated James and the Giant Peach, and Nightmare Before Christmas is just okay. Here, it's definitely creepy, but it doesn't have that pervasive unpleasantness the other two had and the creepy is used appropriately in the story. It never feels like too much. It's intense for sure, the second half is basically a horror movie, but it still holds a charming quality and childlike charm to it. It's ultimately a basic grass is always greener/love what you got story, but it's done with such a bizarre and pervasive creativity that it feels wholly original. If I have any complaints I'd say maybe the ending with her parents could have been a little stronger, and the climax turns a bit too action-heavy whereas in the books it was more about her wits, but these hardly ruin the experience and I'm really stretching to find problems here. I love this movie. The animation is gorgeous, the story is insanely creative, the voice acting is pitch perfect, the music memorable and tonally suitable, it's a damn-near perfect movie in my book.
½ January 9, 2018
Strengths: What a gorgeous looking movie. The stop-motion animation is done incredibly well here. Everything just looks so great. The story is also great, with the right amount of twists and buildup. Things get progressively more creepy as it unfolds. The film does a tremendous job in balancing the scary with the fun for the kids. I'm sure the comparison has come up before, but I kept getting The Nightmare Before Christmas vibes. Coraline (Dakota Fanning) is a strong, flawed lead and her relationship with the Cat (Keith David) was a highlight. There's also a well-crafted family message at the end of it all.

Weaknesses: One issue I had was that the antagonist (Teri Hatcher) didn't quite feel like a great villain. I'm not sure what I'd have added to improve that off the top of my head, it's just something that could've been done better. While I feel Coraline is a strong lead, I wouldn't call her likable. She has several moments where she attempts to be funny or quirky, but comes across as kind of mean towards the boy in town. I don't know how to put my finger on it, but something about this movie didn't completely enthrall and engage me quite the way the top animated films I've ever seen have.

Overall: This is a very good, just not great film. The animation and story are both damn good, it just never reaches the heights of the best animated features I've seen.
December 30, 2017
Kept me on the edge of my seat. Best film ever!
I love how it slowly became more and more creepy, the dream sequences are well done, and make me feel like I'm there.
December 20, 2017
"Coraline" is a 100 minute 3D stop-motion, dark fantasy horror film released on February 5, 2009 and it is based on Neil Gaiman's novel, "Coraline". This film was directed and produced by Henry Selick and also produced by Claire Jennings, Bill Mechanic and Mary Sandell.
The movie was released on the US on February 6, 2009, making 16 million during the opening weekend and 124 million worldwide. This production gained a large number of awards like "Annie Awards", "Academy Awards" and a "Golden Globe" nomination.
The film is based on a girl who recently moved to a new house in Oregon. Coraline has typical family problems where parents are too occupied for their children, and that makes her sad, lonely and frustrated. By feeling this way, she starts exploring her new house trying to find something fun in addition to her neighbors. In all of this situation, Caroline is being watched by an evil and hungry witch by means of a doll that looks exactly like Caroline but with button eyes.
As the movie goes on, she finds a mysterious key and starts visiting a "perfect" parallel world in her "dreams", where everything is what she has always wanted. But there were some sort of things that were very strange and dark in this new world, so she starts questioning things. When she finally got some answers from three dead kids, she starts to plan her scape doing everything she can and turning into a menace to the witch. In order to get rid of that world she needs to pass a lot of tests and hard work, because if not, she would be stuck in it forever and the evil witch will feed on her for the rest of her life. At this point she understand how much her real family means to her despite every problem and that she would give her all to get her parents back. This motivation gives Coraline a touch of strength, and with the help of some friends she starts this horrendous adventure.
The footage in this movie is amazing. It takes the stop-motion to whole new level, using 3D printers and having different parts of just one character body to make everything more realistic. The film involved 450 people to help with the project, including all types of professionals. Another thing that makes the movie environment is the stunning music performed by Michele Marina, John Linnel, Kent Melton and Bruno Coulais.
In my personal opinion this is a tremendous movie not only because the spectacular footage but because of the amazing lesson and its way to show it. One of them is the reality that we are living now days, were parents don't have enough time for their kids because they have other priorities, causing a worrisome impact on kids, and leading them to a rebel status or to do dangerous things without their parents noticing because they aren't present. But also it let the kids to understand that their parents do love them despite they are always present or not and try to understand that they are working for the future of the family. Another moral the movie shares, is the importance of valuing the things we already have and to love our family the way it is. To not get blinded by material things, because at the end it is what it is, material.
It is a story where all kind of audience can get identified and it attracts a lot of people of different ages. Even though it looks like a children movie it isn't that innocent or sane as it looks. The movie could be a little traumatic for some kind of minor audience because it has very impacting scenes. This quality is a very distinctive one, because usually cartoon movies or this types of films where there are no actors, can lead us to automatically think that this is just another kids movie, which can be a good and a bad thing. A good one because the adult audience can get interested in the film and they can talk about it to others and gain viewers. And a bad thing because parents can take their little kids to watch it, thinking it won't scare them. Of course everybody reacts different and there are kids who totally love the film.
The end of the movie can make us feel that a sequel can come out of it. The film let to our imagination what finally happened with certain things that were obviously unconcluded. They can make a second movie and it would have a lot of success if it come like the first one or even better. But of course, the making of a movie like that isn't totally easy and it takes years to complete it, so lets hope for a sequel in an near future.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Coraline ofrece una premisa y estética visual seductoras, manejando la historia con un gran mensaje pero sin llegar a una conclusión detonante que la hubiese convertido en una obra maestra.