Coraline - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Coraline Reviews

January 15, 2018
Just to be upfront here, I love Coraline. I loved the book, and the movie may be even better. I used to count it among my top 10 favorite movies until Laika's next movie, ParaNorman, dethroned it. Even so, this is an incredible movie. All the more incredible due to the fact that I used to hat stop motion animation. I always found it unpleasant and creepy. I hated James and the Giant Peach, and Nightmare Before Christmas is just okay. Here, it's definitely creepy, but it doesn't have that pervasive unpleasantness the other two had and the creepy is used appropriately in the story. It never feels like too much. It's intense for sure, the second half is basically a horror movie, but it still holds a charming quality and childlike charm to it. It's ultimately a basic grass is always greener/love what you got story, but it's done with such a bizarre and pervasive creativity that it feels wholly original. If I have any complaints I'd say maybe the ending with her parents could have been a little stronger, and the climax turns a bit too action-heavy whereas in the books it was more about her wits, but these hardly ruin the experience and I'm really stretching to find problems here. I love this movie. The animation is gorgeous, the story is insanely creative, the voice acting is pitch perfect, the music memorable and tonally suitable, it's a damn-near perfect movie in my book.
½ January 9, 2018
Strengths: What a gorgeous looking movie. The stop-motion animation is done incredibly well here. Everything just looks so great. The story is also great, with the right amount of twists and buildup. Things get progressively more creepy as it unfolds. The film does a tremendous job in balancing the scary with the fun for the kids. I'm sure the comparison has come up before, but I kept getting The Nightmare Before Christmas vibes. Coraline (Dakota Fanning) is a strong, flawed lead and her relationship with the Cat (Keith David) was a highlight. There's also a well-crafted family message at the end of it all.

Weaknesses: One issue I had was that the antagonist (Teri Hatcher) didn't quite feel like a great villain. I'm not sure what I'd have added to improve that off the top of my head, it's just something that could've been done better. While I feel Coraline is a strong lead, I wouldn't call her likable. She has several moments where she attempts to be funny or quirky, but comes across as kind of mean towards the boy in town. I don't know how to put my finger on it, but something about this movie didn't completely enthrall and engage me quite the way the top animated films I've ever seen have.

Overall: This is a very good, just not great film. The animation and story are both damn good, it just never reaches the heights of the best animated features I've seen.
December 30, 2017
Kept me on the edge of my seat. Best film ever!
I love how it slowly became more and more creepy, the dream sequences are well done, and make me feel like I'm there.
December 20, 2017
"Coraline" is a 100 minute 3D stop-motion, dark fantasy horror film released on February 5, 2009 and it is based on Neil Gaiman's novel, "Coraline". This film was directed and produced by Henry Selick and also produced by Claire Jennings, Bill Mechanic and Mary Sandell.
The movie was released on the US on February 6, 2009, making 16 million during the opening weekend and 124 million worldwide. This production gained a large number of awards like "Annie Awards", "Academy Awards" and a "Golden Globe" nomination.
The film is based on a girl who recently moved to a new house in Oregon. Coraline has typical family problems where parents are too occupied for their children, and that makes her sad, lonely and frustrated. By feeling this way, she starts exploring her new house trying to find something fun in addition to her neighbors. In all of this situation, Caroline is being watched by an evil and hungry witch by means of a doll that looks exactly like Caroline but with button eyes.
As the movie goes on, she finds a mysterious key and starts visiting a "perfect" parallel world in her "dreams", where everything is what she has always wanted. But there were some sort of things that were very strange and dark in this new world, so she starts questioning things. When she finally got some answers from three dead kids, she starts to plan her scape doing everything she can and turning into a menace to the witch. In order to get rid of that world she needs to pass a lot of tests and hard work, because if not, she would be stuck in it forever and the evil witch will feed on her for the rest of her life. At this point she understand how much her real family means to her despite every problem and that she would give her all to get her parents back. This motivation gives Coraline a touch of strength, and with the help of some friends she starts this horrendous adventure.
The footage in this movie is amazing. It takes the stop-motion to whole new level, using 3D printers and having different parts of just one character body to make everything more realistic. The film involved 450 people to help with the project, including all types of professionals. Another thing that makes the movie environment is the stunning music performed by Michele Marina, John Linnel, Kent Melton and Bruno Coulais.
In my personal opinion this is a tremendous movie not only because the spectacular footage but because of the amazing lesson and its way to show it. One of them is the reality that we are living now days, were parents don't have enough time for their kids because they have other priorities, causing a worrisome impact on kids, and leading them to a rebel status or to do dangerous things without their parents noticing because they aren't present. But also it let the kids to understand that their parents do love them despite they are always present or not and try to understand that they are working for the future of the family. Another moral the movie shares, is the importance of valuing the things we already have and to love our family the way it is. To not get blinded by material things, because at the end it is what it is, material.
It is a story where all kind of audience can get identified and it attracts a lot of people of different ages. Even though it looks like a children movie it isn't that innocent or sane as it looks. The movie could be a little traumatic for some kind of minor audience because it has very impacting scenes. This quality is a very distinctive one, because usually cartoon movies or this types of films where there are no actors, can lead us to automatically think that this is just another kids movie, which can be a good and a bad thing. A good one because the adult audience can get interested in the film and they can talk about it to others and gain viewers. And a bad thing because parents can take their little kids to watch it, thinking it won't scare them. Of course everybody reacts different and there are kids who totally love the film.
The end of the movie can make us feel that a sequel can come out of it. The film let to our imagination what finally happened with certain things that were obviously unconcluded. They can make a second movie and it would have a lot of success if it come like the first one or even better. But of course, the making of a movie like that isn't totally easy and it takes years to complete it, so lets hope for a sequel in an near future.
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Coraline ofrece una premisa y estética visual seductoras, manejando la historia con un gran mensaje pero sin llegar a una conclusión detonante que la hubiese convertido en una obra maestra.
December 18, 2017
My all time favorite stop-motion animation movie ever. It has a very intriguing story line with very likeable characters. Its a great movie to watch all year around but epically during Halloween.
November 28, 2017
Even tho it's creepy as fuck I dig it
November 23, 2017
The animation is eerie and beautiful. The characters are even better- they're enjoyable and fun. It also appeals to all audiences, with a terrifying backstory but also a good family message.
November 19, 2017
PLs let me see this awsome movie
½ November 17, 2017
While it frightened me as a child. Looking back this is a great film with excellent visuals,characters and is downright scary at times.
½ November 13, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

November 3, 2017
I love ??????????this movie!!!!!
½ November 3, 2017
Coraline, one of the weirdest movies to watch during the fall season.

Coraline is a movie about a girl named Coraline who moves into a strange community to
find out that the people who live next door are even stranger. After moving into the new apartment her parents work on a gardening catalogue and seem to never have time for her making food or even cleaning the place. Coraline then meets wybie a boy who apparently will never keep his mouth shut, Mr Bobinski a russian mouse circus trainer, Miriam Forcible, and Apryl Spink.

As i mentioned before, her parents didn't really have time for her so she had to find her own way of having fun. After waking up in the middle of the night coraline is surprised by a mouse and decides to chase it down the stairs and into the family room to find a slot in the wall almost like a forbidden little door. She eneters it and sees that her mother is there and so is her father but something is off about them her father suddenly learned to play the piano and is no longer busy with work and her mother is making her favourite food and being the nicest person to her. They call her caroline as if they are her parents but then she realizes that they have buttons for eyes.

The next morning she wakes up and notices that it was all a dream because once she gets downstairs her parents and back to treating her like a bag of rubbish. After her visit to bobinskis wybie gives coraline a doll that looks exactly like her but instead has buttons for eyes. Coraline takes the doll not thinking anything of it and goes home, that night she goes to sleep again and is much happier to be back because not only are the second parent's nice but everything else also better than the real world after enjoying her time the second mom asks her to join them forever but coraline disagrees which then leads to a series of horrible events such as kidnapping sewing wybie's mouth together and a lot of other strange things.

After trying to escape that crazy world coraline is then surprised when her cat starts talking to hert and tells her that the second mother is actually a woman who kidnaps children and eats them caroline tries to run but mother catches her and puts her into a prison after seeing the ghost of the other children coraline realizes her parents are missing so she makes a deal with mother 2 and says that if she finds her parents that she must let all the souls and her parents go and if not she will stay with her.

All in All she finds them and then returns to her original world and finds out it was all a dream and her parents were just out shopping, she runs to them with joy to find out the good news that the gardening catalogue was good and her parents start to care for her. I do enjoy the plot but in my opinion the art and characters are a little weird and creepy. Numerous times the movie had a dark tone to it which made me not like it as much as i could have.
½ November 1, 2017
The Coraline adaptation has fluid stop-motion animation, beautiful designs, and a frightfully satisfying adventure, but the characters aren't great, and it occasionally gets too not-kid-friendly.
October 29, 2017
A horror story for kids. Well done.
½ October 17, 2017
This dark fantasy story is actually based on a book by Neil Gaiman! An adventurous girl finds another world that is a strangely idealized version of her frustrating home, but it has sinister secrets and strange people with buttons as eyes. The plot overall is good and the music is great, and it deserved its nominations, but Up (2009 film) was definitely better.
½ October 14, 2017
Creepy, but unique, with some bizarre visuals, cool story, and some entertaining characters.
October 9, 2017
All time great Animation
October 8, 2017
One of my favorite animated movies! Laika Studios is the best!
½ October 7, 2017