Coraline - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Coraline Reviews

April 22, 2017
Coralline is directed and written by Henry Selick, and it stars Dakota Fanning in a stop-motion film about a girl who doesn't like moving to another place, and she come across a room that's locked, and when she goes in, she come across a different place that's similar, and the families that have button for eyes. After watching Aladdin, the bus started to get more quiet, and we didn't watch anything else for now. So I ended up watching the downloaded films on Netflix, and just watched this first, which is a fantastic starter for Laika Studios. Dakota Fanning is great at being whiny and irritated at the same time, but it was never annoying, and she also gets better when the movie progresses. The clay-nation looks fantastic, and there were some moments that I honestly don't know how they did it. The characters are three-dimensional that when things get out of hand, you really start to root for Coraline and fear for her safety. It has a lot of creepy imagery, but it's never to the point that it'll be traumatic to kids, and it's cool to see something be pleasant, and be not so pleasant. The pacing really starts to pick up when the beginning is slow, but it still keeps you interested in what's going on. There are some humor that's really good that it doesn't really become too depressing to watch. The writing and direction by Henry Selick really seem to understand about what the kid is going through when they have to move to a different place, and just have to deal with it a different way from what the parents are going through. In the end, Coraline is an amazing film that i wish that more people could go see the films that Laika Studios has made.
April 18, 2017
With an impressive stop motion picture and a twisted, dark and intriguing story, Coraline can not be surpassed by any other movie.
April 16, 2017
More master storytelling by Neil Gaiman. A great movie to watch for children to learn to appreciate what they have while still being legitimately scary for adult.s
April 15, 2017
Breathtaking animation with a magnificent attention to detail and an imaginative and appropriately dark story are what make Coraline a fantastic animated film.
March 29, 2017
Best movie EVER I have the 3D and blue ray disc
½ March 26, 2017
A suspenseful mystery packed movie that is definitely worth your time
March 2, 2017
I never going to get bored from watching this movie. Definitely it's the best "Laika's" movie in all ways, in my opinion. One of the best animated movie's of all time. 10/10.
February 19, 2017
Director Henry Selik proofs, once again, that he's a master in the art of stop-motion animation, adapting with an incredible sense of faithfulness one of Neil Gaiman's most memorable works, in a dark-yet charming masterpiece; with great characters, atmosphere and superb production design.
February 19, 2017
A truly gorgeous and imaginative stop motion animated movie, every frame is filled with beautiful colors and amazing details.
The cast is great, Teri Hatcher in particular as the other mother, and there are some truly creepy moments.
The score by French composer Bruno Coulais is beautiful and unique.
½ February 17, 2017
Coralline is such a great kids movie, it's suspenseful, it's funny, it's greatly animated, it's got a good story and good characters, and at the same time it's scary, it's what most kids films should be
½ February 12, 2017
I can say with certainty that this is almost nothing like its book counterpart. Aside from having the same premise, and the majority of the same characters, there are many differences and a lot are directly related to the main story. Coraline is outstandingly vivid, and one of the best-animated films I've ever seen. Every character is given so much to do, which makes the film's creativity more believable.
½ February 3, 2017
Creepy, witty, and visually dazzling.
February 2, 2017
It's good movie to watch
½ January 17, 2017
Since the Brothers Grimm penned their morbid fairy tales (and probably before), children and adults have escaped into fantasy to safely explore the dangers of reality. Tales such as Hansel and Gretel, and in the last century The Wizard of Oz, have provided imaginative worlds with dangers at every turn. The purpose of such tales was always to warn, educate, and provide a backdrop for moral instruction.

Such is true of Coraline, a cinematic fairy tale crafted by writer Neil Gaiman and director Henry Selick (The Nightmare Before Christmas). Based on a book by Gaiman, this visually astounding stop-motion masterpiece is a reminder that not all fairy tales have wistful princesses and happy musical numbers (sorry, Disney). This is a return to the creepy morality tales of yore, and while young children may have nightmares from the unsettling mood and tone, older children and adults will likely delight in both its imagination and its message.

Coraline's title character is a plucky and resilient child (expertly voiced by Dakota Fanning) who has moved to a dusty, lonely old house in Washington with her parents. Both are neglectful in their own way: her father is caring enough, but is constantly aloof, while her mother (voiced by Teri Hatcher) is so busy that she hardly notices her daughter, and is often annoyed by her when she does.

One night, Coraline discovers a portal into a parallel existence: same house, same parents, but here everything is exactly as she wishes it were in reality. The dreariness of her true home is replaced by vibrant colors and spectacle. Her neglectful parents are replaced by updated versions who live only to lavish her with affection and wish-fulfillment. Soon Coraline begins to greatly prefer the alternate life to her actual one. It's all seems perfect, but she (and the audience) cannot shake the unsettling suspicion that something isn't quite right. Only a sage old black cat (who is realistically silent in the "real world," but suavely vocal in other) seems to understand the dangers behind the seductive facade of Coraline's dream world.

To say more would be to ruin the surprises, but suffice to say that the film contains excellent messages for those who look for discussion points to share with their children afterward. The dream world serves as a perfect metaphor for the cunningly disguised lies of harmful people, as well their tactics of using subtle counterfeits to grant people's wishes in the short run, while slowly entangling (and later chaining) them in the long run.

As my mother always said: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." With regards to Coraline's dream parents, they may be seen as a practical warning against slick strangers who might lure children away by promising them exactly what they want (much like the "candy man" character in Chitty Chitty Bang-Bang). The black cat, whose warnings initially go unheeded, may be seen to serve a similar purpose to parents, friends, and teachers. He is a wise, caring character who sees and understands things that the protagonist does not yet comprehend, tries to keep her from harm, and helps her when she is in peril.

Furthermore, the film not only reminds parents of the need to give their children attention and affection, but also helps children understand the stresses of parenting and the need for gratitude for the parents they do have.

In addition to serving as a lasting morality tale, Coraline is a terrific artistic achievement. While computer-generated animation is en vogue at the moment, the terrific and nearly seamless stop-motion animation here is something different and gorgeous to behold. The film is currently showing both in 3D and as a regular feature; I recommend that you see it in 3D if possible, as the richly designed sets and characters were meant to be experienced in that format. Far from a mere gimmick, the 3D in this case actually brings more life to the story, revealing layers and depth that were actually created by hand and filmed, one meticulous frame at a time.

Parents should be warned, that while the film contains no real violence, it is full of unsettling images and a creepy atmosphere that will doubtless give nightmares to little ones (much like the wicked witch from The Wizard of Oz, though this is a good deal scarier). There is mild profanity. A scantily-dressed and buxom elderly woman, though a clay-animated figure and far from titillating, may be offensive to some. That said, for older kids, teens, and adults who possess rich imaginations and an appreciation for this type of film, Coraline is a terrific night at the movies, and worth the added fee to view in 3D.
½ December 27, 2016
Good scary kids animation movie starring Dakota fanning. I was surprised of the rating this movie was given, in my opinion this movie is scary and the sexual content of the one white haired actress in the other button eyed world and what she was wearing , nothing just glitter to cover the you know what. Besides that the crazy idea of a girl who wants to spend more time with her parents and so her father tells her to explore the house, she does so and finds a secret door to another button eyed world. I like the idea of that and I like how this movie shows kids that your life could be much worse but for me if I was in coraline s place I would just punch the button eyed mom because buttons are creepy, just creepy but some kids would love that, the food, the everything except they'll probably last as long as the button eyed people don't ask to put the buttons on then the kids will stay but when they ask they're out of their as fast as possible. The art style or animation of this movie is phenomenal, it feels like a tim Burton film but nope it's not, no Johnny depp but I like the clay mation and all those hours , months put in really make me appreciate this film. When I saw this movie in theaters long time ago, I was a lot younger and actually had nightmares of this film but now that I've seen it for a second time, I'm no longer scared of the buttons.
November 25, 2016
Creative, imaginative and delightful in its darkness. Emma 8/10. Lucy 8/10.
November 24, 2016
great animation with a fantastic story and great characters and the best laika has done up to boxtrolls.
November 10, 2016
A beautiful masterpiece that does not need blood or a innuendo to be entertaining, intense, creepy and kid friendly. I highly recommend watching it, and is one of my favorite movies of all time and maybe ever.
November 4, 2016
Plot
Coraline relocates to a new house where she soon feels ignored by her working parents. She discovers a secret door and slips into a magical world where she meets a loving and caring 'Other mother '- things seem perfect but there is hidden danger about to unfold.

Review
This fantasy horror film is creepy, scary, unpredictable but exciting. It takes us from the boring reality of everyday life to the charming 'other world'.

Coraline is a young, feisty, curious and courageous girl. She gets bored with her new neighbourhood and starts to explore her surroundings.

Her parents are too busy trying to make a living and give her little attention. She tells them about her adventures but they don't believe her and aren't very impressed.

Soon Coraline finds out that the 'Other mother' is evil. She traps children, steals their eyes and stiches buttons in their place. In an effort to save the ghost children Coraline makes a bet/plays a game with the other mother and tries to free the souls of the trapped children and her parents.

Verdict
This terrifying but interesting movie is one of the most amazing children stories of all time.
November 1, 2016
Imaginative, beautifully animated and successfully managing to start off as a nice family-friendly movie about a girl who discovers a parallel world better than the crappy one she's living in at the moment to a dark horror film about a woman hell bent on ensuring her "daughter" stays there as part of her elaborate plan, Coraline is an entertaining film that ranks among one of the best animated films of 2009...and also a great start to stop-motion animation studio Laika who following the production, but not complete involvement, of Corpse Bride seems to show themselves as a worthy competitor to British stop-motion animation studio Aardman.