Cyrus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cyrus Reviews

April 27, 2018
Still single seven years after the breakup of his marriage, John Kilpatrick (John C. Reilly) has all but given up on romance. But at the urging of his ex-wife and best friend Jamie (Catherine Keener), John grudgingly agrees to join her and her fiancé Tim at a party. To his and everyone else's surprise, he actually manages to meet someone: the gorgeous and spirited Molly (Marisa Tomei). Their chemistry is immediate. The relationship takes off quickly but Molly is oddly reluctant to take the relationship beyond John's house. Perplexed, he follows her home and discovers the other man in Molly's life: her son, Cyrus (Jonah Hill). A 21-year-old new age musician, Cyrus is his mom's best friend and shares an unconventional relationship with her. Cyrus will go to any lengths to protect Molly and is definitely not ready to share her with anyone, especially John. ..

Rotten Tomatoes consensus is: "While it may strike some viewers as slight, Cyrus is a successful hybrid of mainstream production values and the mumblecore ideals of directors Jay and Mark Duplass. Critics reacting negatively include Manohla Dargis of The New York Times, who criticized the Duplass brothers for displaying an "almost aggressive lack of ambition", and Damien Magee of 702 ABC Sydney, who identified Cyrus as "the sort of film that many people, including a number of well-respected critics, have started to confuse with good cinema" going on to call it "a checklist of indie-chic clichés", and concluding with the suggestion "If you're really stuck for something to see, stick this on the maybe pile, otherwise marked Juno." Peter Travers added it to his top ten movies of 2010 as one of the movies that tied for eleventh place.

"Cyrus" is a different comedy with a darker touch created by Jay and Mark Duplass, who works within the subgenre of independent film called Mumblecore. The subgenre is characterized by naturalistic acting and dialogue (often improvised), low-budget film production, an emphasis on dialogue over plot, and a focus on the personal relationships of people in their 20s and 30s. And this is what we get in "Cyrus". The mother/son relationship depicted is shown in different stages from funny to just plain weird and with John in the middle this becomes something else than your average American fart gag comedy. It´s believable and hard to watch at times, but the actors treat their character with respect as they are trying their best to figure out how to function emotionally. We get great acting from Reilly, Tomei and Hill. And Tomei has never looked more beautiful.
½ April 20, 2018
Mumblecore darlings Mark and Jay Duplass bring us "Cyrus," a movie that was initially slighted by the general public as a mismarketed snoozer of a comedy back when it released in 2010. But here in 2018, this fun little indie dramedy comes off as quirky, honest, and ultimately meaningful, with terrific performances from John C. Reilly, Marisa Tomei, and -- especially -- Jonah Hill as the titular meddler in question. There's just so much in this film that goes right from a narrative standpoint. The structure is pretty perfect. The characters are extremely well-realized. The dialogue feels so natural and authentic in terms of composition and delivery. And although some of the filmmaking tactics left a little bit to be desired, the film overall was a real treat from beginning to end.
May 25, 2017
Some laughs at the beginning, but they're not for everyone because there mostly really awkward. Jonah Hill gives a good performance, but you won't like it because it's very weird and a little unnerving, I guess, maybe, is the word. I didn't like the way his character progressed either, and I honestly just wish this movie would have been more simple than it is. It also feels very long, despite being only about an hour and a half. I also didn't like the way it ended, it was so short so it didn't need to do that! This is very different from Jeff, Who Lives at Home and Togetherness, which I really love.
October 3, 2016
This movie delivered everything that "Mama's Boy" didn't. The romance between John C Reilly & Marisa Tomei was completely relative to the story. Jonah Hill as the overprotective child also plays a very convincing role.
July 8, 2016
Great movie. Hill and Riley are amazing together. Especially because they don't play there typical rolls.
½ May 28, 2016
Transparent in both its humor and sentiment.
½ February 9, 2016
It wasn't exactly what I expected from the trailer, but still fresh. A little dull, though.
jamrcla
January 28, 2016
Boring, But im giving them credit to say they made the film on the spot with hardly any script but apart from that it's nothing good.
½ January 6, 2016
Despite a quite decent cast, Cyrus failed to make any impression
on me. The acting was okay, but the story wasn straightforward and
to be fair, quite boring. Others might enjoy it more than me.
..At least I hope so.
½ September 22, 2015
It's got great performances and the subtle comedy works but it was simply too uninteresting for me. Not bad but not that good either.
½ July 2, 2015
oh god I'll never get back the time in my life that was wasted seeing this movie. I want a list of all the critics who liked this movie so I can ignore their opinions forevermore
½ May 19, 2015
Surprisingly very subtle. This movie has pretty realistic dialogue and acting to make it a very interesting piece.
April 25, 2015
John C. Reilly and Marisa Tomai give solid performances, but the movie is very predictable. Jonah Hill is annoying in his role.
April 12, 2015
A comedy or a drama? Although the tonal shift means it doesn't totally succeed in either genre, I don't think it's that awful, though certainly not as good as critics said. Jonah Hill is pretty effective as the creepy not-so-little mommy's boy, however John C. Reilly doesn't add much as the mum's new boyfriend in a way of humour or tension. The awkward situational humour works well in a couple instances before becoming lost in the film's swerve to a more serious tone, after which the story petters out. Should have been a straight up comedy with more back and forth between the two feuding men. Doing this while adding a funnier actor alongside Hill could have earned 'Cyrus' more love from the general audience.
½ March 9, 2015
It stagnated a little towards the end, but this bizarre dramedy was worth the view.
½ March 4, 2015
maybe I'm biased because I'm in love with Marisa Tomei at the moment, but I really love this kind of movie. the last movie that gave me the same warm feeling of a very grown-up and uncorny relationship was Enough Said (Julia Louis-Dreyfuss and James Gandolfini), and I totally love them both.
I like how The Duplasses set the tone of this movie. it's both kinda mainstream and independent. a simple yet deep look at how a dysfunctional relationship between mother and son could affect a relationship without any corny drama. with this movie, I stand corrected: small movies give you the most grounded depict of life.
½ January 20, 2015
this was actually so surprising, i was going into this, looking for a comedy, and the movie ended and it was a dark comedy, relatable, smart and dramatic. and i really enjoyed it, im surprised audiences really didnt enjoy it, other than critics. but this was an extremely well done movie and it really impressed me, i think it is probably one of the best movies of 2010 and i love the whole cast, it was casted perfectly! go give it a shot, DO IT!
January 6, 2015
Awkward quirky funny.
½ December 7, 2014
The friendly, strange, and tense back and forth of Jonah Hill's versatile dramatic genius gives the film a sweet if uneasy reachability. Duplass-brand quirk transitions easily into this big budget application of the mumblecore personality.
October 24, 2014
It's a base idea with a predictable outcome but it works because the characters actually -gasp- behave like real people! The drama isn't hinged on frustrating cliched bullshit misunderstandings.

"Your son hates me. And I gotta say, I fuckin' hate him too."