Cyrus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Cyrus Reviews

October 3, 2016
This movie delivered everything that "Mama's Boy" didn't. The romance between John C Reilly & Marisa Tomei was completely relative to the story. Jonah Hill as the overprotective child also plays a very convincing role.
July 8, 2016
Great movie. Hill and Riley are amazing together. Especially because they don't play there typical rolls.
½ May 28, 2016
Transparent in both its humor and sentiment.
½ February 9, 2016
It wasn't exactly what I expected from the trailer, but still fresh. A little dull, though.
jamrcla
January 28, 2016
Boring, But im giving them credit to say they made the film on the spot with hardly any script but apart from that it's nothing good.
½ January 6, 2016
Despite a quite decent cast, Cyrus failed to make any impression
on me. The acting was okay, but the story wasn straightforward and
to be fair, quite boring. Others might enjoy it more than me.
..At least I hope so.
½ September 22, 2015
It's got great performances and the subtle comedy works but it was simply too uninteresting for me. Not bad but not that good either.
½ July 2, 2015
oh god I'll never get back the time in my life that was wasted seeing this movie. I want a list of all the critics who liked this movie so I can ignore their opinions forevermore
½ May 19, 2015
Surprisingly very subtle. This movie has pretty realistic dialogue and acting to make it a very interesting piece.
April 25, 2015
John C. Reilly and Marisa Tomai give solid performances, but the movie is very predictable. Jonah Hill is annoying in his role.
April 12, 2015
A comedy or a drama? Although the tonal shift means it doesn't totally succeed in either genre, I don't think it's that awful, though certainly not as good as critics said. Jonah Hill is pretty effective as the creepy not-so-little mommy's boy, however John C. Reilly doesn't add much as the mum's new boyfriend in a way of humour or tension. The awkward situational humour works well in a couple instances before becoming lost in the film's swerve to a more serious tone, after which the story petters out. Should have been a straight up comedy with more back and forth between the two feuding men. Doing this while adding a funnier actor alongside Hill could have earned 'Cyrus' more love from the general audience.
½ March 9, 2015
It stagnated a little towards the end, but this bizarre dramedy was worth the view.
½ March 4, 2015
maybe I'm biased because I'm in love with Marisa Tomei at the moment, but I really love this kind of movie. the last movie that gave me the same warm feeling of a very grown-up and uncorny relationship was Enough Said (Julia Louis-Dreyfuss and James Gandolfini), and I totally love them both.
I like how The Duplasses set the tone of this movie. it's both kinda mainstream and independent. a simple yet deep look at how a dysfunctional relationship between mother and son could affect a relationship without any corny drama. with this movie, I stand corrected: small movies give you the most grounded depict of life.
½ January 20, 2015
this was actually so surprising, i was going into this, looking for a comedy, and the movie ended and it was a dark comedy, relatable, smart and dramatic. and i really enjoyed it, im surprised audiences really didnt enjoy it, other than critics. but this was an extremely well done movie and it really impressed me, i think it is probably one of the best movies of 2010 and i love the whole cast, it was casted perfectly! go give it a shot, DO IT!
January 6, 2015
Awkward quirky funny.
½ December 7, 2014
The friendly, strange, and tense back and forth of Jonah Hill's versatile dramatic genius gives the film a sweet if uneasy reachability. Duplass-brand quirk transitions easily into this big budget application of the mumblecore personality.
October 24, 2014
It's a base idea with a predictable outcome but it works because the characters actually -gasp- behave like real people! The drama isn't hinged on frustrating cliched bullshit misunderstandings.

"Your son hates me. And I gotta say, I fuckin' hate him too."
September 26, 2014
An excellent little comedy hidden gem. Watch it!!
½ August 3, 2014
(First and only viewing - 6/27/2012)
July 13, 2014
Heartfelt and real. Great cast. Cyrus doesn't pull any punches and is a straight forward romantic comedy (with a dark side) that will leave you laughing all the way through.