Damien---Omen II - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Damien---Omen II Reviews

½ June 20, 2016
La secuela de "The Omen", que cuenta acerca de la inminente llegada del Anticristo, bajo la identidad del niño Damien Thorn, es menos efectiva que su predecesora (en gran parte gracias a la ausencia del director Richard Donner), pero incluye varios sustos genuinos, unas secuencias de muerte impresionantes, una buena actuación a cargo de William Holden y un Damien perturbador a cargo de Jonathan Scott-Taylor.
May 16, 2016
This wasn't as good as Richard Donner's superb original, but it's a solid sequel. It lacks the unique sense of despair and menace of one's own child perhaps being the Antichrist, and the suspense is neither as taut nor as skillfully handled, but there are some great death scene set-pieces here, and it's not as bad as horror fans would let you think it is. I have a special place in my heart for the religious thriller, so perhaps I'm a tad more lenient than I should be in my grading, but I could very well say that the devil made me do it, or at the very least, his spawn. Jerry Goldsmith does another fine soundtrack, albeit not with the two Oscar nominations and one win this time around, while William Holden and Lee Grant do a credible job of replacing stars Gregory Peck and Lee Remick, whom Damien had no qualms dispensing with in the first film. The original is essential viewing for anyone, while the first two sequels are fine fare for any contemporary cinematic (by that, I mean of films since 1970) horror or religious thriller aficionado.
April 4, 2016
Drastically differs from the original in terms of ambience and horrors, but still the theme and music do their job.
November 20, 2015
The first sequel to the classic film The Omen. This film isn't bad in its own right but falls into the classic sequel trap in that comparisons are made to the original which it cannot quite meet.
The film follows the Damian boy from the first film who seems to have grisly deaths follow him.
Damien is now a young teenager being cared for by his tycoon uncle and attending a military cadet school.
The gory death scenes that were a trademark of the original continue slightly but in a US dominated environment. The UK was the setting for the original.
The cast does not include Gregory Peck whose Ambassador Thorn character died in the original.
A haunting music score by original soundtrack artist Jerry Goldsmith is one of the sole continuity themes I can find aside from the Damian character himself.
½ September 12, 2015
Lame sequel to the classic original film. Like the originals, the film features a couple Golden Age of Hollywood actors, with William Holden and Lee Grant taking care of Damien, the son of Satan, and placing him at a military school. Most of the film is Damien being unwittingly evil. The film does take an interesting turn when Damien realized he actually is the son of Satan. A film about a character coming to grips with the fact that they are going to be the downfall of mankind would have been an interesting story (even if it conflicts with the first film where it was pretty clear that Damien knew who he was). However, that's not at all the focus of this film. Most of the film seems to focus on creative death scenes, the same as the original and years later the same as the "Final Destination" films would make their main focus. I will give the filmmakers credit for the hockey death scene, where a boy falls through the ice and is swept downriver under the ice as onlookers are unable to do anything but watch. Other death scenes are intricate and fantastic, but there really aren't all that memorable. Also, a film focused merely on death scenes is pretty thin and that's where this film falters. The original film focused on Gregory Peck coming to grips that his son is really the son of Satan and had to be killed. This film had a similar story with William Holden realizing that his young charge is the son of Satan and must be killed, but his film lacked the emotional resonance of the first film and also focused a good deal on Damien as well, which I think was a mistake. Not that sequels have to always be slavish to their progenitor, but this film seemed a lot like the unnecessary "Rosemary's Baby" sequel "Whatever Happened to Rosemary's Baby?" The baby in the first film was not really a character at all, so making a film about that character is a pretty big stretch from the original story and this film seemed like a pretty big stretch from the original too. SPOILER ALERT! The third and final sequel when so afar from the original, where Damien is a high powered politician, that it kind of gave the series an epic scope and was clearly trying to do something quite different from the original film. This sequel however, seems like a placeholder story and didn't really introduce much new or interesting. Overall, it's a well crafted film with quality folks both in front of and behind the camera, but the end product is pretty weak.
August 10, 2015
This fucking kid is now fully aware of who, and what he is. He just blows through his namesake, and obstacles alike. He has followers everywhere. And his climb through the eschalon of the elite continues.
July 28, 2015
Surrounded by mistakes commonly made by future horror films, Damien - Omen II, the sequel to the classic horror tale deserves no comparison to its original horror masterpiece.
July 17, 2015
While this sequel is not as good as the original, it does a pretty good job of living up to the acclaim of the first movie. It can tend to be a little slow in a few parts, but the suspense does not let up from the film's opening to the ending credits. Watch this one after the first movie...
June 6, 2015
Aside from a nice performance by Jonathan Scott-Taylor as Damien Thorn, this is pretty dull and slow moving followup to the far superior original. There's 1 good kill involving an elevator.
½ May 23, 2015
It's the right step for the franchise but It's frustratingly told with incoherent character motivation.
May 9, 2015
Surprisingly decent sequel. Damien is a little older and in military academy. This can't end well...
May 7, 2015
Didn't thrill like the original, but Jon Scott Taylor gives a great performance as a coming of age Satan, some great deaths but one scene with a crow attack by the roadside is badly done. Overall great story and plotting.
½ April 27, 2015
Really good sequel with inventive death scenes.
½ April 20, 2015
Not at all the classic of the first movie, but a bridge and creates some unique death scenes.
½ April 3, 2015
A great horror movie was made in the 70's, then a sequel came out, and it was terrible. Everyone was very surprised because things like that don't happen.
February 28, 2015
Still a horror classic, but not as scary as I recalled.
February 11, 2015
Well made in all areas except one, it's not scary... except for the lake scene. Jerry Goldsmith's score is still in top form and Jon Scott-Taylor is a good Damien.
½ February 6, 2015
This movie is really not that great. Why did they make a sequel?
½ January 3, 2015
They are your daggers. I've always belonged to him.

Damien, the Antichrist, has been adopted and raised by his aunt and uncle, with his cousin, after the tragic death of his parents in the first film. He is raised in a fairly strict but loving/privileged environment and sent to military school. He does exceptionally well in class; but when kids push him, he pushes back...he's also not keen on those who think they know who he truly is...

"It's a shame, getting hit by a truck on a deserted highway."

Don Taylor, director of The Island of Dr. Moreau (1977), Broken Promises, The Final Countdown, Escape from the Planet of the Apes, and He's Not Your Son, delivers Damien: Omen II. The storyline for this picture is fairly straightforward but presented in some cool settings. The special effects were okay and felt very 80s. The acting was as you'd expect for the genre and the cast includes William Holden, Lance Henriksen, Robert Foxworth, Lee Grant, and Nicholas Pryor.

"When you have a knife at your belly, you'll keep your hands by your side."

I grabbed this off Netflix when I was in the mood for a horror movie. This was just okay but entertaining enough to want to see how the characters evolved and the ultimate conclusion. I will admit the conclusion is clever and surprising, but that doesn't make up for an overall mediocre picture. I recommend seeing this once if you're a fan of the genre or series, but I wouldn't go to out of my way to see if not.

"Were you showing off?"
"No, I just knew all of the answers."

Grade: C
December 25, 2014
It often slips into parody of the first, with people just dropping dead without any suspense whatsoever