Dan in Real Life - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dan in Real Life Reviews

October 7, 2016
The relationships portrayed in this gem feel so sincere and accurate to those we find in our own lives. Watch it then watch it again.
½ October 2, 2016
Nice film, easy to watch.
September 30, 2016
Sorry didn't get this. Very predictable and dull.
August 4, 2016
Plan to be surprised.
½ July 23, 2016
Funny, charming and heartfelt, Dan In Real Life's sentimental value is heightened by a touching narrative and fine performances by Steve Carell and Juliette Binoche.
½ July 19, 2016
It is not only an endurance test to stay in the company of such a detestable character and his detestable family, but the movie is also a sentimental pile of clichés from the first scene to the last - including that unnecessary, ridiculously corny last scene during the end credits.
June 27, 2016
Widower Dan Burns (Steve Carell) gives advice to parents about their teenagers.  The only problem is he doesn't know the first thing about handling his own teenage daughters.  A family vacation brings Dan head over heels in love with Marie (Juliette Binoche), a girl he meets at the book store.  There's just one problem, Marie is Dan's brother's girlfriend.  Over the weekend naturally everyone falls in love with Marie.  The family is so happy Mitch has finally found a good woman.  I really think you feel Dan's pain as he stands right next to Marie not being able to be with her.  Look for my two favorite scenes, the stone skipping scene and clubbing with Dan & Mitch.  I won't spoil this for you but I will say I got a little misty at the end.  I wholeheartedly recommend Dan In Real Life.
March 22, 2016
My Review: 6/10
Date: 3/14/2016
Dan in Real Life was a cute and funny movie - a typical Steve Carell angsty movie. I didn't really care for the premise of the relationship based on cheating and never really bought into the main characters' relationship.
March 13, 2016
Pretty funny... but nothing real noteworthy
January 15, 2016
Steve Carell headlines a somewhat awkward but sweet and occasionally touching romantic comedy. The premise is that Dan (Carell) meets and falls for a woman whom he later learns is his brother's girlfriend. The awkwardness comes from the large family gathering where this all takes place. Three generations spend a few days together while Dan tries to decide whether to be noble or follow his heart. The setup and the middle third feel a bit forced, although Carell gives a good performance throughout. The final act is genuinely emotional at times, although it's all wrapped up a little too tidily, perhaps. If you can get through the first half, it can be a decent date night movie.
½ January 15, 2016
Best romantic comedy :)
December 10, 2015
I hate Dane Cook with every fiber of my being. But Steve Carell is funny; it looks good.
November 26, 2015
One of my favorite movies of all time. One of the few movies that I actually want to watch over again!
November 22, 2015
It was an alright movie. Not really worth my time.
½ October 21, 2015
PG-13 comedies are usually comically desensitized, and "Dan in Real Life" is no exception. However, when it hits, it hits hard, and is boosted by a sense of sentimentality.
September 1, 2015
Possibly. Not too sure. The previews seem to be okay looking . . .
August 15, 2015
Man this movie, Steve Carells amazing performance works this movie to the right place..... I loved this moving, eye opening, drama, perfect mix of funny and dramatic stuff and just the amount of Steve Carells awkward charecter, that you can't just help to feel sorry for... Amazing movie!!!! 5/5 stars
July 27, 2015
I love comedies that stick close to real life--source of hilarities that can happen to me any day. This film is just like that. There's no fancy, trying-too-hard feel to it. Instead of solving all of the characters' problems in a span of an hour and forty minutes, it surpassed all of those problems so that it could be solved later on when the camera isn't running any longer. Although most people may see that as an imperfection, I see it as a nice touch. After all, the picture is called "Dan in Real Life" not "Dan in Dreamland." I very much enjoyed Steve Carell's performance here. He proved to me that he's not a one-time comedy sketch. There are a lot of moments where I felt what he had felt and I think that's hard to do considering I'm not exactly the kind of filmgoer that easily feels for the character. This is a one smart, down-to-earth, original comedy.
July 5, 2015
Ryan you creep get out of my flixster...jeez get a life you weirdo!
June 28, 2015
I've been waiting a long time to watch this one. Carrell was fun, & the family dynamics were great. A good movie.