Dan in Real Life Reviews

• Aug 04, 2019

Sentimental and not as funny as I was hoping it to be though the performances of the cast and the potential that the premise initially had prevent Dan in Real Life from falling off the rails.

• Jun 12, 2019

Great soundtrack and choice of setting.

Great soundtrack and choice of setting.

• Dec 27, 2018

Strange for the normally reliable Steve Carrell to be in such an abomination of a movie as most of his project choices have been good thus far, but Dan in real Life is as romantically pleasing as getting a root canal done. Most romantic comedies follow conventional formulas that, when they work, can result in a frothy, enjoyable end product - admittedly, not something to challenge the intellect but enough to cause the heart to skip a beat or two. When those formulas turn rancid, however, the result is something like Dan in Real Life. Beneath its aw-shucks, wants-to-be-liked exterior, this is a bankrupt motion picture. It's cloying, artificial, and not the least bit romantic. In its 100 minutes of screen time, it gets only one thing right: that teenage girls will always hate their father, regardless of the provocation.

• Dec 13, 2018

This movie is beautiful, funny, and heart-warming. One of my all-time faves.

This movie is beautiful, funny, and heart-warming. One of my all-time faves.

• Nov 23, 2018

As irritating as Steve Carrell can be he also has a certain warmness in his craft and Binoche is always sensational. Whilst there is nothing new here the actors pull it off well enough

• Oct 25, 2018

Elements are crafted together nicely throughout. At some points quite clumsily but thus is the nature of Steve Carell.

• Jun 03, 2018

This stands in a very low rating for me. Above The Internship Games but below Iron Hero, this is one of those few films that would make you feel cheated even if you didn't pay to watch it. The characters are all too easy to hate, the plot is insulting and boring, and the message of "be a dick to enough people and everything will work out" is nothing short of depressing, an adjective that sums up being subjected to that film almost too perfectly. I came for Steve Carell's comedy, I left with an insatiable need to snap the disc.

• Dec 25, 2017

Great under appreciated movie!

Great under appreciated movie!

• Nov 21, 2017

In my opinion, Dane Cook lucked out here. Emily Blunt was all hot and bubbly here, while Juliette and Steve (Dan) were lame... No spark, no chemistry. Also, this family gave me diabetes. Who has a family like this? This is the only movie that could make john Mahoney and Dianne Wiest unlikeable. They're both very likeable, but here they were secret Nazis - all smiles and giggles - but underneath it's their way or the highway.

• Nov 12, 2017

Great characters, acting and humor. Loved the music and this romantic comedy so much!