The Darjeeling Limited - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Darjeeling Limited Reviews

½ October 15, 2016
this movie willmake you feel all kinds of emotions, but in the end you will feel happy (at least i was). visually great, this story about three brothers finding themselves and reconnecting with each other is an interesting story
September 28, 2016
Watching this, didn't know who was crazier - the three brothers on screen or me for enjoying their story. Beginning to think I can watch Adrien Brody in anything and enjoy it.
½ September 26, 2016
Visually stunning, but the plot is not as good as other Wes Anderson movies, I think. The characters are brilliant, however.
August 16, 2016
Mesmo estando longe de ser o melhor trabalho do diretor, VIAGEM A DARJEELING tem todos os atributos que caracterizam o cinema de Wes Anderson e explora, de maneira peculiar, as relações fraternas neste road movie em território indiano.
August 11, 2016
its slightly pretentious but it's still a great and interesting movie
½ July 28, 2016
Having a good cast with interesting characters but nothing for them to do is a frustrating problem. Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody, and Jason Schwartzman play three brothers who drifted apart in their adult lives. After a near death, experience the oldest brother feels a need to bring his brothers together by going on an extended train excursion across India. He gets his brothers to join him, but they do so grudgingly and their tension escalates to arguments. The dynamic between the three characters is emotionally stiff and unnatural but there is some subtle humor to it. Their dysfunction and reason for straying from each other is unclear at first. Through their bickering and flashbacks, their situation slowly becomes clearer. Their Indian adventure, however, is dull and lacks direction. The journey does not directly affect the relationship between the characters in a meaningful way. Worse yet, the adventure does not lead to a fulfilling conclusion and ends abruptly. Each of the three brothers undergoes a character transition and in turn reconnects with his brothers, yet the other aspects of the story around them are a series of unsatisfying loose ends. The actors are capable and the characters have potential but it just does not know where it wants to go. Wes Anderson has a particular style but his dry characters rely on a better a story than this. Even if you do like Anderson, this is not his best effort.
½ July 25, 2016
Any location visited in any Anderson film is a surreal microcosm of reality. I have a special place for films featuring the Sub-Continent. I found his depiction honest; here the leads all have their own realities. They clash off themselves, the back drops of the train, and the scenery; in a way only this director could have brought to life.
½ July 12, 2016
No where close to as good as Rushmore, fantastic mr fox or the grand Budapest hotel. Felt like a letdown to his other work, with a few good moments though.
½ June 26, 2016
I feel like I'm slowly warming up to Wes Anderson, but he just isn't capable of making a film that blows me away.

For better or worse, The Darjeeling Limited is the same film Wes Anderson has been making for his entire career. Following three estranged brothers hoping to reunite on a spiritual journey across India, the movie deals with a lot of familiar Wes Anderson themes: aside from the aforementioned estranged siblings, a sense of melancholy and his familiar deadpan sense of humor are present. Fortunately, the characters, despite being initially unlikeable in traditional Anderson style, are well rounded and their collective arc is engaging. Ironically, it's through their misadventures that the three brothers find themselves, rather than through spiritual means: it's an admittedly clever satire of the spiritual journeys so many yearn for when visiting places like India. Owen Wilson, Adrien Brody (a first time Anderson collaborator), and Jason Schwartzman are all great, and their back-and-forths really hold the film together. Wes Anderson brings his traditional visual style as well: shots are framed with his famous sense of symmetry and whip-pan camera shots, and they're not as in-your-face and overdone as in his later works.

The Darjeeling Limited has been considered lesser Wes Anderson by many, but it's an entertaining watch with a nice story and direction. Any Wes Anderson fan (and perhaps those without knowledge of his works too) would be insane to not see it.
½ May 25, 2016
This was really enjoyable. I know I over-rate Anderson films but it's because I highly enjoy both his visual sensibility and the quirky style of humanistic humour that's pervasive in his work. I also greatly admire Adrien Brody's acting--so taken together, even though this isn't considered one of his better efforts, it was 4.5/5 or 9/10 for me.
½ April 11, 2016
Gave this one a re-watch on Blu-ray recently, have to say that I've upgraded my initial impressions by a half-point from my original 'review' below:

Watched it this afternoon because it turned up from Netflix, though I'm not even sure when I added it to the queue to be honest. I enjoyed it, though I maybe would've enjoyed it more had I been specifically in the mood for Wes Anderson's typical navel-gazing brand of quirky characters.

Naked Natalie Portman in the little short film before the feature was a welcome surprise, even though I had seen stills on the web previously.

This is a film that's grown on my quite a bit and something I'd highly recommend.
½ March 15, 2016
Perhaps it was Anderson's intention from the beginning? This visually-refined, Indian-flavored ride travels through a railroad perpetually destined for unfinishedness. Little do we know about the Whitman brothers when Peter first manages to hop on the initial luxury locomotive and little do we know after they get on the Bengal Lancer. This by no means signifies that the audience is deprived of essential information: the brothers themselves' awareness of what happens in one another's lives is limited (no pun intended). But this subjective lack of character development lends 'Darjeeling' a special mystique; one word could accurately characterize it - 'confusing'. It fluctuates between 'pleasant' and 'annoying' as the unstable voyage it is, and perhaps it was, in fact, Anderson's intention from the start. All I can confirm is that the panoramic view so brightly displayed every few minutes on the screen is enough to make this dry flick worthwhile. Oh, and the fraternal bond too, I guess.
February 26, 2016
Una encantadora comedia, eh, ¿transrealista? Pocas veces he visto metáforas tan descaradas puestas, además, en su justa medida.
February 19, 2016
??????? ?????????? 2: ??????????
February 17, 2016
Although not as fast-paced and funny as his other films, Wes Anderson's The Darjeeling Limited delivers a still quirky tale of three brothers in India as they escape the real world and deal with their father's passing a year prior. The film is still funny and each actor brings their character his separate quirk. A Wes Anderson flick that doesn't get the recognition it deserves.
February 1, 2016
A truly beautiful picture in which Wes Andersons attention to detail and human interaction truly shines. We get a look at the landscape that is India and we see how this unique land changes a group of very different brothers (Wilson,Schwartzman,Brody) all classics of wes anderson film seeking enlightenment and a cure for their broken bond.
½ January 25, 2016
i love all things wes anderson....although i loose a liitle bit of interest in the second half. the cinematography is a feast for the eyes
½ January 17, 2016
Offered freshness and surprises, laughter and original storytelling.
December 22, 2015
I love the movies style of storytelling.How one event leads to another. Wes Andersons approach to this movie seems more mainstream in this particular movie. The acting is top class in my opinion. Worth a watch.