Dark River Reviews

• Jan 11, 2019

Pointless waste of time. Dialogue is difficult to understand. The storyline is predictable and boring.

• Dec 23, 2018

Alice played superbly by Ruth Wilson returns to the farm she left 15 years ago to escape the abusive attentions of her father. Her father having died in her absence, has left her the farm holdings in his will, much to the resentment of her brother who cared for both their father in his dying days and the farm in her absence. So begins an unbearably tense film as tension and resentment grows between the siblings as they fight for control of the farm, eventually leading to a tragic ending. It's a bleak film but worth the pay off with outstanding performances from the cast. Not one you call enjoyable but certainly memorable for some time after viewing.

• Nov 19, 2018

A movie with obvious talent but a lot of unfulfilled potential, Dark River looked great, and reminded me how beautiful and unique the English countryside is, but the story never comes close to being satisfying or involving. We've seen siblings fighting in movies before, but rarely has it felt so weightless and lethargic. Segments of dialogue are unintelligible due to them being muttered in heavy accents, and the words you can hear just aren't very interesting. It's the kind of film where characters rarely say what they're feeling, but the director is unable to effectively convey their inner torment. The flashbacks, which are supposed to illuminate the past, quickly become irritating, and one simple conversation could have covered all of them sufficiently. It jumps around erratically, never keeping focus or allowing us to digest what is happening. It could have been great, a family drama focusing on an intense rivalry between 2 estranged siblings fighting for the last thing they have. Instead it feels more like 2 grumpy children bickering over their favourite toy. There was a lot it could have done, and a lot it could have said, but it chose to do very little, and say even less.

• Nov 05, 2018

These low budget Screen Yorkshire productions play like a version of pre aircrash Emmerdale Farm with their gritty realism of Yorkshire country life. In this interesting little film a sibling brother Joe and sister Alice (Ruth Wilson) try and cope looking after their family farm after the death of their father. We see him (Sean Bean) in flashback cameos that must have taken all of one day to film. We learn that the father may have sexually assaulted his daughter? Or at least that was the impression I got although nothing was shown. All we know is that Alice was driven away and it took fifteen years to return to the rat infested, dilapidated farm. Joe has severe anger management issues!

• Oct 22, 2018

Love detective ! make me think. did watch all movies serials of this genre using boxxy software

• Oct 20, 2018

I thought Clio Bernard's (the writer and director here) 2013 film The Restless Giant was powerful and memorable. However, despite strong acting from the charismatic Ruth Wilson and Mark Stanley, this indie left me little air to breathe with its unrelenting bleakness and its often muddled elements.

• Oct 19, 2018

I'll be needing the English subtitles to understand what they are talking about . But it may well be worth it. Boxxy software have dubbed languages available and many subtitle languages

• Oct 14, 2018

As for the first act, the film tries to convey a plot that does not fulfill a "subtextual" function, but trying to present the harsh and raw rural life as most independent films filmed adrift of forests have wanted along of the years; from that point there is nothing to tie up to convince the public to continue hooked, in addition stereotype models that are handled on animals and inexistent farm qualities gain weight in a disastrous first act. Then from the plot-point onwards, a family drama is best handled, which begins to produce excellent performances that move a fantastic story, convincing and raw. It also occupies a "snowball" system, acomulating and compiling an internal trauma, thus causing the main and internal conflicts to connect with a third act that leaves much to be desired. 3/5

• Aug 28, 2018

A bitter drama about a dispute between siblings that at times verges on plummeting into thriller territory.

• Aug 20, 2018