Daughters of the Dust - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Daughters of the Dust Reviews

June 12, 2017
Wow when critics get it wrong. Shame about this film, such a great subject. Unfortunately you will be subject to a late eighties fest of awkward camera slow mo tricks, a sub Vangelis soundtrack and alarming haircuts complete with long looks into the distance. Some trees may have been smoked during the making of this film. Remake it properly please.
March 30, 2017
Really good movie depicting what the times were like back then!
December 5, 2016
One of my all-time favorites.
Beautiful cinematography, fascinating and insightful story.
December 1, 2016
Its examination of a bygone way of life is so patient and evocative, so beholden to its own storytelling conventions and rhythms, that watching it is a bit like submitting to a form of time travel.
½ May 24, 2016
Certainly not for everyone but transfers the right emotions to those willing to except it's expressionistic mis en scene.
February 19, 2016
Well made if a bit on the slow side.
½ March 4, 2015
Dealing extensively with ideas of the African disspora, Black culture and history, ancestoral guides and social differences, "Daughters of the Dust" is a contemplative and gorgeous piece of filmmaking that lulls it's audience into a relaxed and open state before revealing poignant truths.
February 7, 2015
Beautiful, beautiful film. The structure, which attempts to create a sense of place and history by wandering among the people of Gullah Island as some prepare to move north, is partially successful, but also becomes a bit tiresome.
October 5, 2014
Intriguing, and at times sumptuous but far more academic than entertaining.
April 1, 2012
I had a hard time identifying with the characters or even understanding the plot the first time around. With another viewing, the emotional and directorial beauty become became apparent. I highly recommend this film.
September 11, 2011
Many critics were recommending this movie as a more authentic alternative to "The Help". I haven't seen that movie, but I can tell you that this is really arty. It has a non-linear narrative, even though it all takes place in one day. There are a lot of scenes in slow motion for some reason, and many times it left me saying "What just happened?" out loud.
August 3, 2011
Beautifully filmed, about a Gullah community in the early 20th century -- but even though I read part of the book, I had great difficulty following the movie.
½ April 30, 2011
one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen! The sound, the cinematography, the costumes, the characters....all so incredibly beautiful.
½ April 5, 2011
Beautifully shot and it also has a great score, but the movie is so long!
January 28, 2010
the forgotten Gullah people were slave from us that escaped to islands off north carolina and retained their islamic, jewish and animistic beliefs.. by Julie west... lovely film making
November 18, 2009
When this film came out it didn't draw African Americans. Nevertheless, I thought it was excellent, and sadly the traditional ways of African descent peoples in this country are disappearing...and nothing good has come of it.
½ November 2, 2009
Two hours of nothing. This film is about a family and some of them want to move and some don't and it is all told from the perspective of a character who doesn't exist.
October 17, 2009
good in music...the rest is just fine. more like a modern tale.
March 18, 2009
I guess this film is kind of interesting, the representational style that the director uses to seemingly blend the past with present conditions is great and the noticeable artistic flair is visually stunning. The plot is pretty basic, but the film works on multiple levels and I can really admire that since it sort of takes a simple premise and transcends what the film should end up being. The dialogue is great and the conflicts are fairly exciting, though I felt as if the film drug on a bit too much and even two days later I have trouble remembering specific details rather than just a host of beautiful images, so I guess that's also pretty telling. I was not engaged the whole time and the film is a bit daunting despite clocking in at less than two hours, but the end is magnificent and works nicely. The voice over is a mixed bag, always serving a purpose but sometimes feeling a bit too heavy handed or coming off as an easy go around instead of having the camera show what was being said. The acting is pretty bad all around too, many of the leads are too vocal and the performances come off as over acted to the extreme. Technically it's a great film, sadly I took little enjoyment from anything that was not technical or intangible. 3.298704382453321543.