The Day of the Locust Reviews

• Apr 01, 2019

what a great and unique film

what a great and unique film

• Feb 20, 2017

As filthy, dirty and depressing as its source material. Easily one of finest book to silver screen adaptations ever made. Screw its critics

• Feb 23, 2016

• Nov 16, 2015

brilliant behind the scenes look at studio system Hollywood gr8 third act performance from burgess meredith

• May 28, 2015

I'd like to tell you what the Day of the Locust is about, but that would take quite awhile since it doesn't follow a traditional narrative structure. Instead the film appears to be a series of scenes mashed together in order to give the viewer a look at the seedy underbelly of 1930s Hollywood. The film mostly centers around a woman who is one of the most annoying and obnoxious characters ever captured on celluloid. Somehow, despite being mentally unhinged and ridiculously manipulative, most of the males in the film are drooling all over her. The males include an art director who tries to rape her, a sexually-repressed accountant who is almost as charming as a block of wood, and a pair of guys who run cock fights and seem to bicker over who gets to sleep with her first. I realize, based on the focus of the film, they don't feel the need to include any characters that are likable. However, I think just one character who I didn't utterly despise would be helpful in keeping me from the boredom this film inevitably brings. I suppose if the aim was to make me hate the world of Hollywood in the 30s then this was moderately successful, because I wanted to just shut this movie off and stop watching. But, luckily, I did hang on and watch as the film literally goes down in flames. In the final 20 minutes the movie strays even further from a traditional narrative and just becomes a series of off-the-wall images that could haunt the viewers' nightmares. I loathed The Day of the Locust, it was easily my least favorite movie I have seen this year, and may be in competition for the most unbearable movie I've seen this decade.

• Apr 07, 2014

What a climax... 4-7-2014.

What a climax... 4-7-2014.

• Feb 24, 2014

Transformative performances by Karen Black and Donald Sutherland, both of whom keep the film centered on its theme of morality skewed between self-righteousness and wantonness. Conrad Hall's photography is beautiful as ever; the lighter colors glisten in gold hues which ornament the Hollywood dreamscape, but the more earthly colors follow through in the uglier scenes. The ending was the only bit I had a huge problem with. Schlesinger would have done better to follow the book in that regard. Otherwise, a brilliant made film with what seems to be a genuine appreciation and respect for West's novel.

• Jan 12, 2014

(***): [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/icons/icon14.gif[/img] Interesting and well-acted.

• Jun 20, 2013

Hollywood as Dante's Inferno. A perfect double bill with "They Shoot Horse, Don't They?"...if you are feeling truly suicidal.