Dead Again Reviews

• Feb 02, 2019

Love this movie!!! Have seen over a dozen times. The use of foreshadowing, symbolizim and parallel writing is amazing. The movie uses several writing techniques throughout the film.

• Dec 09, 2017

I really liked this back in the day, but I think it only kind of holds up today - and, oddly, Branaugh and Thompson are the weakest bits. Still, sweet jesus, I'm in love with that twist.

• Oct 23, 2017

The epitome of nonsensical, lame.

The epitome of nonsensical, lame.

• Jun 25, 2017

I waited a long time for this movie, and it was pretty good.

I waited a long time for this movie, and it was pretty good.

• Apr 20, 2017

Finally saw on TV 4-2017. Interesting. Maybe a little slow by today's more action packed standards. Interesting ending. Xlnt cast. Branagh with an American accent, unusual. And I've always loved Emma Thompson, whe looks like an long ago girlfriend of mine. And Derek Jacobi (who starred as I Claudius on PBS)

• Mar 19, 2017

The concept of a murder mystery that carries over into the next life is unique and kind of fun. The mystery was written well enough that it had me guessing almost to the end of the film. I liked that they used black-and-white to differentiate the past from the present, it made those transitions fluid. The two lead performances were entertaining, particularly because we got to see both British accent and American accent versions of Kenneth Branagh and Emma Thompson. Robin Williams was a bit underused, but I guess I should be grateful we got as much of him as we did, since his character was totally pointless to the story. The big flaw with Dead Again is that there is almost no logic to this whole reincarnation thing. I thought they were setting it up that the anklet was what brought the magic to keep the lovers together, but I never felt like they made that true because everyone talked as if this happened all the time. In fact the point of the anklet itself was completely lost on me, even though they treated it like some vital token. And why would they be reincarnated in bodies that are identical but *spoilers* identical to the other person?! I'm not sure whether I'm being too picky, or these were actual problems, but for some reason I wasn't buying into it. There were some elements in Dead Again where I questioned the tone. It seemed as though they were taking everything dead seriously, but then there were moments where things seemed so off-the-wall that I had to chuckle. The biggest was when they walked into the art studio with all the ridiculous scissor art. The entire film so aggressively clung to its themes in this way, that it was kind of comical. I didn't hate the movie, in fact I kind of liked aspects of it. I'm usually pretty forgiving of mystery films anyways. That being said, I still didn't think the plot of Dead Again worked all that well, and I doubt I'll be seeking it out for a rewatch in the future.

• Jan 10, 2017

Twists and turn kept me on the edge of my seat and not really caring that the plot is driven by some weird convenient dream sequences.

• Jul 06, 2016

By far, my favourite film of Branagh's that he's directed. A solid mystery/thriller--the kind that's not done enough these days IMHO. Though he's certainly diversified his oeuvre recently, what with Disney remakes and even superhero films, I wish he had done a lot more like this one, rather than, high-quality as they are, a metric tonne of yet-more Shakespearean adaptations.

• Apr 16, 2016

"Dead Again," finds actor/director extraordinaire Kenneth Branagh venturing from the world of Shakespeare into the dark, musty corners of the Hitchcockian noir - and with great success. "Dead Again" is a well-structured and engaging mystery with stellar camerawork and some truly magnetic chemistry between the actors involved. Add a dash of cheese and a surprisingly badass Robin Williams cameo and you have the makings of a truly memorable cinematic experience.

• Aug 12, 2015

just recently re-watched this-I forgot how handsome/hot Andy Garcia was back in the day.