Dear John - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dear John Reviews

April 21, 2018
Parts were okay and others just not convincing. An good cast is wasted on this script. Richard Jenkins performance does Stan out and the music was very good.
April 15, 2018
Why does Nicholas Sparks hate women so much?
April 14, 2018
Definitely a tear jerker! I love Channing Tatum in this! Moving love drama. The sex scene is beautifully done!
March 26, 2018
Fairly interesting and watchable. Sad in places, but can be a bit slow in others. Still, good chemistry between the two. Saw it on Netflix for free, glad I did, wouldn?t of enjoyed going to the cinema to watch it.
February 8, 2018
I tend to overrate Nicholas Sparks' movies.
October 13, 2017
Mawkish romantic melodrama creates no sparks.
September 24, 2017
Fairly boring slow story and unbelievable romance
½ August 23, 2017
Channing Tatum and Amanda Seyfried are both likeable onscreen and they have great chemistry with each other, and at times made this awful movie bearable.

This movie isn't just formulaic and overly sentimental, it's also exploitative. The time period of this movie isn't clear until the second act, where we're shown a news footage of a terrorist attack on the World Trade Center. It's distasteful because it's used as the stake to their relationship, as 9/11 motivates John to re-enlist for two more years, making Savannah upset. But every conflict is resolved quickly in this film because it's an idealized romantic drama with the PERFECT couple.

And it doesn't stop there. The movie also exploits autism. The autistic kid and even John's autistic dad are only autistic to make Savannah look like a saint. She doesn't drink. She doesn't smoke. She doesn't fuck anyone (except John). The only thing she does that makes her character less than perfect is "curse", in her head. She also has a line about how horses can sense danger and evil and that autistic kids have it too. Yes, there's a line about that, and Savannah even had a camp called "Camp Horse Sense".

But wait, there's more. In the third act, John's dad has a stroke, and a character that we barely know (but is an important part of the two main character's life) named Tim is suddenly struck with cancer. It's these contrived moments that tries to wring tears from the target audience, but it's never earned.

We have an annoying friend of Savannah (Randy) who has a crush on her, and gets instantly jealous when she develops a relationship with John. John also has a lame monologue about coins. He thought about coins when he got shot because his dad is a coin collector, and even creates a metaphor between his life and coins.

"I am a coin in the United States Army. I was minted in the year 1980. I've been punched from sheet metal. I've been stamped and cleaned, and my ridges have been rimmed and beveled. And now I have two small holes in me. I'm no longer in perfect condition." Yes, these are actual lines from the movie... at the beginning of the movie. And the payoff with his father's coin collection is to pay for Tim's treatment because it's worth a lot of money. Of course, he dies in the end because the movie has to predictably end with John and Savannah reuniting back together.

The movie also has too many montages. The letters that John and Savannah send to each other and John's military service are shown through multiple montages that last up to about three minutes. It's as if the script for this movie was missing a second act.

Out of all the Nicholas Sparks movie adaptations so far, Dear John is the second best. When a movie this awful is the second best of the Nicholas Sparks lineups, it makes me wish that Nicholas Sparks would stop writing so that Hollywood doesn't adapt his books into terrible movies. Though Dear John is bearable at times, it's a generic tearjerker that embodies everything a romantic drama shouldn't be.
June 9, 2017
Nicholas Sparks: Never stop writing !!! Im dying to see his new movie The Last Song !
February 5, 2017
I also have to read the book first before the movie!!
½ February 1, 2017
It's good movie to watch
January 29, 2017
Rather beautifully photographed love story that does not entirely follow your expectations (which is both good and bad) and entertains well enough. There are nice moments and Seyfried is extremely charismatic, but ultimately nothing that happens reaches very deeply or sweeps you off your feet, really. It's for fans of such novels, I suppose.
½ January 28, 2017
Didn't like the ending. Loved it otherwise. One of my least favorite Nicholas Sparks movie.
December 30, 2016
i love this movie u cant believe it has only 29 % and only 133 reviews I think this movie deserves more Ive watched all channs movies but this is my fav! I watched dear john 3 times in a row in one day and I still watch it I have cried threw this bcs this is deep and I love this :) :)
November 24, 2016
Horrible script. Amanda can Not save this bad movie.
November 10, 2016
this story almost line made me cry. its really sad but awesome movie
½ September 20, 2016
i had zero interested in ever watching this, but it was on TV while i was incapable of making any decisions. However, i liked the father-son story more than the usual failed romance story.
July 11, 2016
One of the best movies I have ever seen, the characters are fascinating, the story is beautiful in the way that the author usually always write. Romantica, realistic and exciting. It is impossible not to get involved in this beautiful love story!
Another fact is quite exciting to see John's relationship with his father.
The film has important and complicated issues such as: military life, autism, Asperger's syndrome ... Good talent of Nicholas Sparks for romantic stories is exciting to touch the heart and Dear John could not be different.
½ July 10, 2016
Enjoyable movie for a wet weekend with some popcorn.