Death Race Reviews

• Sep 30, 2019

I love this race killing game movie.

I love this race killing game movie.

• Sep 05, 2019

For a cheesy driving movie that's supposed to be full of action, it was lacking.

• Jul 15, 2019

I think this is the best death race of them all if you dont like it its ok its only my opinion and i beg you to not watch the other one exept the older one

• Jul 14, 2019

It tries at points but falls short of making feel any type of connection to any of the characters. very un-original

• May 26, 2019

Apparently in a future where all prisons are run for profit, innocent folks are set up for major crimes to use skills they already possess in order to boost ratings for a car race wherein the prisoners run laps in cars loaded with weapons trying to be the last car standing - by any means possible - in order to eventually win their freedom. Sounds plausible, right? Uh huh.

• Dec 31, 2018

A semi-fun film with no depth to it. The time is the not-so-distant future, and as America's prisons begin overflowing with violent criminals, the powers that be devise a grisly game that will free up space in the cells and entertain the masses at the same time. Jensen Ames (Statham) is a three-time speedway champion with a dark past. A survival expert and ex-con whose sordid history comes back to haunt him when he is framed for a murder he didn't commit, Ames is forced to choose between donning the metallic mask of a mythical racer known as Frankenstein or languishing away on Terminal Island -- America's most notorious penitentiary. Over the course of the next three days, this unlikely champion will get behind the wheel of a nightmare machine outfitted with machine guns, grenade launchers, and flamethrowers in a desperate attempt to outrun some of the most violent criminals ever imprisoned. Should Ames be the first to cross the checkered flag, he will win his freedom; should he come in second, however, death would be preferable to a grim future in a cramped concrete cell. Alright, well, who would expect that this would be my LAST movie review to end the calendar year? It's kind of weird, honestly. There's some things in my life that feel like they're starting fresh due to the new year, and others that don't. Either way, "Death Race" actually wasn't that bad, but it wasn't too great either. Let's get straight to the point - like a wine and dinner kind of thing (can't you tell I'm drunk? I can't wait to read this later and cringe). This is a pure action film. It's filled with poorly shot sequences of racing, action, and adventure, but it's kind of entertaining. There's no purpose behind any of it and it's pretty ridiculous, but there is some fun within it. We're essentially given 3, semi-adrenaline pumping races and we're left to, well, watch it. Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of Jason Statham. I think he's okay as an actor, but not enough to get me to watch a film. Him, along with everyone else in this film were just fine. I think everyone was replaceable, which is not a good thing to say, as the performances were just fine. This film doesn't really have much to it and that's my real problem. It doesn't feel like there's a purpose, theme, sensibility, or any stakes. It's basic, and that's what disappoints me most. However, this film was semi-fun. It's not something that makes me cringe when I watch it - it's just not the best made piece of work. Time to wrap. In the end, "Death Race" was just okay. It wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be, but it wasn't great. It was just semi-fun, while mostly filled with question marks. Anyways, Happy New Years (to the 0 people reading this, except maybe me in the future) :).

• Dec 25, 2018

It's high-octane. It's totally improbable. But it's also a lot of fun.

It's high-octane. It's totally improbable. But it's also a lot of fun.

• Dec 11, 2018

Not a terrible film, the visuals and the stunts barely save this fast paced action flick, despite the unacceptable acting

• Nov 07, 2018

This film was almost good.

This film was almost good.

• Jul 14, 2018

Even with a much bigger budget and Joan Allen, this remake of the 1975 Roger Corman cult favorite can't compare.