The Devil's Advocate - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Devil's Advocate Reviews

November 26, 2016
You want thick-as-HELL melodrama and great '90s SFX? Your search is over. Theron and Pacino turn in some incredibly fun / devastating performances... and this has to be Reeves at his most natural, reigned-in best. It's sexy and it' ridiculous... what else do you need?
June 22, 2016
Interesting adaptation of the traditional Faust story with a modern spin to it. Reeves plays a southern lawyer who can't seem to lose a case no matter how much the odds are against him and is recruited by a top firm in New York City. Pacino is amazing as John Milton, the leading partner of the NYC law firm. This has to be one of his better performances. He even manages to drag a good performance from Reeves.
June 20, 2016
It's a strange twist of genres. Maybe even worth watching thanks to the magnetic and sometimes over the top performance of Pacino.
June 5, 2016
I am in utter disbelief that this movie is rated so high on Rotten Tomatoes. I think it should be lower than Tommy Wiseau's "The Room" or whichever movie has the lowest rating on this website. I cannot understand why people enjoyed this movie with its uncomfortable sex scenes, over-the-top performances, disturbing CGI imagery, and dialogue that seemed like it was written by your Satan worshipping college roommate. I've expressed my shock in various YouTube comment sections at this movie's inexplicable popularity with the majority of videos posted talking about the subject. I've gone on hate-filled rants about this movie and feel that I should try to remain sane while describing it but find it more than difficult to do so. I was mortified at this movie's lack of sensitivity towards the religious community or anyone who can see the movie for what it really is. I myself am not religious but still found myself horrified with the movie's undertones of rape, child molestation, genocide, suicide, incest, and Satanism. Al Pacino's performance is over-the-top and laughable out of context, especially near the end of the film where he monologues for 30 minutes straight about topics that have no relevance or importance to the plot. Keanu Reeves seems to have a hard time choosing what accent he wants to have with an extremely inconsistent performance. Charlize Theron goes raving-mad for no explainable reason and is even suggested to have been raped by Al Pacino's character partway through the film which only added to my discomfort watching the movie. I hope this movie is put through the frying pan again so people can see it as the wanna-be snuff film it truly is.
May 21, 2016
WOW.
This was recommended to me by a friend and I never really thought I would see it but one day while flipping channels, there it was so I watched. Holy MOLEY!! Very eye opening - it is so easy to get entangled in things that we should be avoiding. My favorite quote from this movie comes from Al Pacino - "Vanity is my favorite sin".
The end will just blow. your. mind. Totally.
May 21, 2016
Very engaging and gotta love Keanu and Charlize in this movie
½ May 2, 2016
Led by Al Pachino and Charlize Theron, with a cashed in performance by Keanu, this 90s entry gives an interesting premise that will hit and miss throughout.
April 24, 2016
Film doesn't get much better than this. Great screenplay. Great performances. Great directing.
½ April 10, 2016
An interesting case of a film that works despite a dreadful performance from the lead actor. It seems that asking Reeves to both act and do an accent is too much of a strain on his abilities. He's dreadful when he attempts it in Coppola's "Dracula", and he's dreadful here. His sheer awfulness is just accentuated by all the scenes he shares with Pacino, who really is in great form here. This is a solid, well-told Hollywood genre film elevated by a great supporting cast and a tremendous villain performance, and then dragged back down a bit by a weak lead. It all kind of comes out even in the end.
March 24, 2016
Creative movie about good and evil.
½ March 3, 2016
If you can get past Keanu Reeve's horrible southern accent then you may find this to be an enjoyable film.
½ January 22, 2016
Dark but really thought-provoking
January 20, 2016
Vanity, definitely my favorite sin.
January 17, 2016
Pacino kills it as Satan and his performance is classic. A lot of memorable lines. Full frontal from a young Charlize and that redhead chick mixed into a pretty decent mindfuck. If you haven't watched this recently dust it off. I'd give it 5 stars except you just can't get past Keanu's awful Southern accent.
January 16, 2016
He's a sadist an absentee landlord.
½ January 10, 2016
The Devil's Advocate answers the question we've all been wondering: can we take Keanu Reeves seriously as a lawyer? The movie doubles down on the question by making Reeves' character a Florida native, with a distinct southern accent that Reeves makes a habit of ping ponging in and out of his vernacular. Unbelievably, the answer to the question is a resounding... kinda.

Meet Kevin Lomax, a man whose surname is a total contradiction, and whose lawyering ability is unparalleled. He starts out the movie by successfully defending a pedophile by exploiting the prosecutors witness testimony, which gives him his 64th straight victory in a row. To celebrate, Lomax and Charlize Theron, his wife, go out for drinks where the star lawyer is offered a job in New York City.

The firm in New York has all the frills: a brilliant penthouse office with a stunning view, hot lawyers on staff, and Al Pacino talk-yelling business philosophy at all hours of the day. After getting a top shelf position in the company, Lomax is also given a massive apartment and a ton of sweet perks like business dinners and boxing tickets. Unfortunately, things with Theron are not so hot, and she starts being overcome with horrible visions, racked with guilt, and disillusioned with her future in the city. Meanwhile, Lomax's streak keeps hitting new highs as Al Pacino watches over his pupil who strays farther and farther from his finely tuned moral compass.

The movie is your typical Hollywood production. The music is easy to forget, offering basic ambiance over anything memorable, the editing is standard, and the cinematography and lighting is by the book. The unfortunate effects of this is that the film becomes equally forgettable, and a lot of the impact is reliant on the script, and the acting out of said script. Luckily, both of those things shine through, Charlize Theron's performance as a tortured housewife is a great counterpoint to Pacino's cunning and methodical performance as the Prince of Darkness. All the side characters play their roles well also, creating a roster of minions that slowly close in on Reeves making it seem like there's nowhere left to escape. That also brings us to Reeves. Even though he often stumbles over his accent, sometimes hilariously, he's utilized extremely well, and is ultimately a sympathetic protagonist who battles with the forces of evil, both around him, and from within.

TL;DR - 7/10
The Devil's Advocate could have been a great film, with a script that has turns measured into all the proper positions, and a cast that knows how to deliver them. Unfortunately, the by the numbers approach to telling the story leaves it lost in the milieu of ever other 90s Hollywood thriller. Still, it's ultimately worth a watch on a weeknight.
½ January 7, 2016
An Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves film that I definitely recommend.
½ January 4, 2016
Its o.k.... I probably wouldn't recommend this film.
½ December 16, 2015
A reasonably engaging slow burn of a thriller until the eye-rolling big twist in its closing minutes. Fortunately, Pacino's twisted performance alone makes the whole thing worth watching.