The Devil's Advocate - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Devil's Advocate Reviews

April 26, 2017
This movie is scary as heck. Reminds me of OMEN.
April 22, 2017
The Devil's Advocate impresses me everytime I watch it. Maybe one of my favourite Pacino roles.
March 20, 2017
Daft. It's worth watching for Pacino's usual rant and rave.
January 28, 2017
A suffocating plot, it makes you feel caught in the devil's fangs. As always, excelent job made by Al Pacino. Charlize Theron's acting as well, brings a great claustrophobic reaction that helps the hole plot to pass fear and insecurity. This movie works as a great mirror that demands the audiance to look
inside themselves.
December 28, 2016
Pacino makes such a good villain; this movie is great.
November 26, 2016
You want thick-as-HELL melodrama and great '90s SFX? Your search is over. Theron and Pacino turn in some incredibly fun / devastating performances... and this has to be Reeves at his most natural, reigned-in best. It's sexy and it' ridiculous... what else do you need?
June 22, 2016
Interesting adaptation of the traditional Faust story with a modern spin to it. Reeves plays a southern lawyer who can't seem to lose a case no matter how much the odds are against him and is recruited by a top firm in New York City. Pacino is amazing as John Milton, the leading partner of the NYC law firm. This has to be one of his better performances. He even manages to drag a good performance from Reeves.
June 20, 2016
It's a strange twist of genres. Maybe even worth watching thanks to the magnetic and sometimes over the top performance of Pacino.
June 5, 2016
I am in utter disbelief that this movie is rated so high on Rotten Tomatoes. I think it should be lower than Tommy Wiseau's "The Room" or whichever movie has the lowest rating on this website. I cannot understand why people enjoyed this movie with its uncomfortable sex scenes, over-the-top performances, disturbing CGI imagery, and dialogue that seemed like it was written by your Satan worshipping college roommate. I've expressed my shock in various YouTube comment sections at this movie's inexplicable popularity with the majority of videos posted talking about the subject. I've gone on hate-filled rants about this movie and feel that I should try to remain sane while describing it but find it more than difficult to do so. I was mortified at this movie's lack of sensitivity towards the religious community or anyone who can see the movie for what it really is. I myself am not religious but still found myself horrified with the movie's undertones of rape, child molestation, genocide, suicide, incest, and Satanism. Al Pacino's performance is over-the-top and laughable out of context, especially near the end of the film where he monologues for 30 minutes straight about topics that have no relevance or importance to the plot. Keanu Reeves seems to have a hard time choosing what accent he wants to have with an extremely inconsistent performance. Charlize Theron goes raving-mad for no explainable reason and is even suggested to have been raped by Al Pacino's character partway through the film which only added to my discomfort watching the movie. I hope this movie is put through the frying pan again so people can see it as the wanna-be snuff film it truly is.
May 21, 2016
WOW.
This was recommended to me by a friend and I never really thought I would see it but one day while flipping channels, there it was so I watched. Holy MOLEY!! Very eye opening - it is so easy to get entangled in things that we should be avoiding. My favorite quote from this movie comes from Al Pacino - "Vanity is my favorite sin".
The end will just blow. your. mind. Totally.
May 21, 2016
Very engaging and gotta love Keanu and Charlize in this movie
½ May 2, 2016
Led by Al Pachino and Charlize Theron, with a cashed in performance by Keanu, this 90s entry gives an interesting premise that will hit and miss throughout.
April 24, 2016
Film doesn't get much better than this. Great screenplay. Great performances. Great directing.
½ April 10, 2016
An interesting case of a film that works despite a dreadful performance from the lead actor. It seems that asking Reeves to both act and do an accent is too much of a strain on his abilities. He's dreadful when he attempts it in Coppola's "Dracula", and he's dreadful here. His sheer awfulness is just accentuated by all the scenes he shares with Pacino, who really is in great form here. This is a solid, well-told Hollywood genre film elevated by a great supporting cast and a tremendous villain performance, and then dragged back down a bit by a weak lead. It all kind of comes out even in the end.
March 24, 2016
Creative movie about good and evil.
½ March 3, 2016
If you can get past Keanu Reeve's horrible southern accent then you may find this to be an enjoyable film.
½ January 22, 2016
Dark but really thought-provoking
January 20, 2016
Vanity, definitely my favorite sin.
January 17, 2016
Pacino kills it as Satan and his performance is classic. A lot of memorable lines. Full frontal from a young Charlize and that redhead chick mixed into a pretty decent mindfuck. If you haven't watched this recently dust it off. I'd give it 5 stars except you just can't get past Keanu's awful Southern accent.