Die Hard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Die Hard Reviews

April 25, 2018
Simply one of the greatest action movies of all time -- if not the greatest -- and an absolute masterpiece of a film in nearly every facet overall. So often action movies are considered the filth of filmdom, containing silly plotting, thin character work, and juvenile thrills that appeal to the most basic, reptilian parts of our brains. But, I say again, let it be known that John McTiernan's "Die Hard" is not only the quintessential action movie, but an absolutely, undeniably well-made and brilliant film altogether. The plotting is exquisitely done, featuring numerous plot threads that are well-thought-out, revolutionary to the genre, and -- most of all -- smile inducing to the umpteenth degree. The characters within these plots are also unquestionably fascinating, with personalities that offer so much to the stakes and the situation at hand. And the action is thrilling, yes, but also terrifying. There's so much of this movie where you're simply convinced something has to go wrong for John McClane, but you also feel that you can't help but watch and see what happens. It's like watching a double-digit run rally in the bottom of the ninth to tie and eventually win the game -- you can't believe you're seeing it happen, but you feel blessed for being there to witness it. "Die Hard" is the pinnacle of action movie filmmaking and one of the best motion pictures that the medium has had to offer us.
½ April 23, 2018
Die Hard, in my opinion is one of the most exciting and intense action movies to date. One of the main things that I think is really good about it is the fact that this all takes place in one location instead of being all over the place and on a larger scale. Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman are terrific in this film and the action scenes are exciting and brutal. I can't think of a whole lot that is bad about the film other then at the beginning it takes a little bit until it starts to get really interesting.

9.0/10
April 15, 2018
Die Hard inspired a franchise and lots of action movies but it truly deserved to be buried under its special effects that hides the failures - and there are many - of the film.
April 4, 2018
The second best Die Hard movie of the three that count, with memorable performances by Alan Rickman and Reginald VelJohnson.
April 2, 2018
Bruce Willis at his best. One of if not the best action film to come out of the 80s
March 30, 2018
Officer John McClane (Bruce Willis) only wants one thing for Christmas, the chance to reconcile with his estranged ex-wife Holly (Bonnie Bedelia). When her office building is suddenly held hostage by a group of terrorists led by the sinister Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman), it's up to John to survive endless waves of unwanted gifts of enemy bullets and bombs in order to stop Hans and save Holly...

Although this action classic is not what most people think of when talking about when talking about Christmas films, the use of "Let it Snow" in the end credits and the constant use of Christmas props pretty much seals the deal.

Along with some of the greatest setpieces ever put to film, Alan Rickman being born to play villians and establishing tropes that action films to this day, are still trying to replicate, what else to say about Die Hard but, Yippie-Kay Mother-F....er!
February 24, 2018
Die Hard is a classic holiday action and suspense movie that is still great to this day! Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman both give great performances and this definitely a movie lot's of people could enjoy with the taut thrills, amazing action sequences and the hero taking down the enemy in the end!
½ February 24, 2018
One of the best Christmas movies ever. Also, one of the best action movies ever. What more could you want?

1001 movies to see before you die.
January 24, 2018
Great thriller movie and fun to watch during the Christmas season - year after year,. The film has a great mix of action, drama and subtle humor. Watching this will make you hungry to see John McClane back in action for the second and third films in this series (the fourth and fifth installments not so much). Yippee-ki-yay
January 14, 2018
This is one of my favorite classic action movies of all time, story, characters, action, music is just amazing, this did a great justice to the book, John Mctiernan did a perfect job directing this movie, he is a great director as well.
January 13, 2018
Die Hard: With heart pounding thrills, high octained action sequences and sheer kinetic energy with a feeling of fun and excitment Die Hard is a seamless holiday action classic thanks to Bruce Willis' stunning preformance.
January 7, 2018
The more I see this movie, the more I like it. The first time I saw it I thought it was fine, a decent action movie with fun performances and a few good set pieces. Now that I've seen it many more times, damn, this really is a perfectly constructed action movie. It just establishes everything in the right way. We got a down-on-his-luck lead who we enjoy watching and want to see succeed, a creepy lead with Alan Rickman giving a just awesome performance, some really fun action and a great sense of tension, and old school non-cgi explosions. My only real gripes with this movie are that it maybe takes a smidge too long establishing things before the plot really gets going, and that the plot feels a bit small like there isn't a lot at stake. But still, it's not a movie about big political intrigue and psycho terrorists, it's just about a normal guy caught up in a crazy situation, and as that it works so damn well. And the Christmas stuff, that's just icing on the cake.
January 7, 2018
The best action movie of all-time. Sequels suffer from trying to top the original's tension by raising the stakes to unbelievablle levels (taking hostage entire airports, cities, etc.)
January 3, 2018
Die Hard is an instant Christmas classic.
January 3, 2018
Quite simply the greatest action movie of all time. Even if they?d had CGI it would have been an incredible achievement, they did not have CGI and the action scenes are amazing. Bruce Willis is perfect, the toughest on screen action hero ever. There are two movies which I have watched then immediately watched again, this is one of them.
January 2, 2018
This movie is great action packed action. Action. Movie. Some of the stunts McClane does are hard to believe someone can really do it. I loved the 'High Noon' movie reference. Sort of makes you think that this movie was inspired by it.

Good movie, what can I say. They show this movie a million times on TV. Ace.
January 1, 2018
Belongs in the action movie top 10. Plot is small and focused leaving room for action scenes that make sense within the story. Also a fair amount of tension that later sequels ignore for the sake of explosions and special effects.
January 1, 2018
Brilliant action film that remains not only the best in its genre but also the best Christmas movie ever made. The cast is superb across the board, with the principles giving the performances of their careers. Bruce Willis cemented his superstar status as John McClane, playing him as an everyman just trying to save his wife. He's not a muscle-bound superhero as was the standard at the time, but just a quick-thinking (and often lucky) cop who really doesn't want to be in this situation. He is matched brilliantly by the late, great Alan Rickman (in his first film role) as Hans Gruber, who crafts one of the great villains in film history. Gruber is a charming sociopath who is has no qualms about killing to get what he wants, but does it with such intelligence & style, you actually root for him half the time (it's not coincidence that 'Ode to Joy' plays when the safe is finally cracked open). Behind the camera, John McTieran keeps the film going like a finely tuned watch, with every character & subplot paying off. He also grounds it in a nice bit of realism (there are just 12 terrorists, and you count off as each dies) and McClane spends to first half of the film hiding from the terrorists while trying to call for help breakthrough in non-macho action heroes. The fact McClain gets his butt kick most of the movie & is an utter mess at the end (you'll never go barefoot again) just makes you root for him even more. The humor is fun as well, from McClane's classic quips to the terrorists small but human moments, from making bets on who dies to sneaking a candy bar. Simply put, the best action film ever made and the best Christmas movie ever.
December 29, 2017