Die Hard - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Die Hard Reviews

January 24, 2018
Great thriller movie and fun to watch during the Christmas season - year after year,. The film has a great mix of action, drama and subtle humor. Watching this will make you hungry to see John McClane back in action for the second and third films in this series (the fourth and fifth installments not so much). Yippee-ki-yay
January 14, 2018
This is one of my favorite classic action movies of all time, story, characters, action, music is just amazing, this did a great justice to the book, John Mctiernan did a perfect job directing this movie, he is a great director as well.
January 13, 2018
Die Hard: With heart pounding thrills, high octained action sequences and sheer kinetic energy with a feeling of fun and excitment Die Hard is a seamless holiday action classic thanks to Bruce Willis' stunning preformance.
January 7, 2018
The more I see this movie, the more I like it. The first time I saw it I thought it was fine, a decent action movie with fun performances and a few good set pieces. Now that I've seen it many more times, damn, this really is a perfectly constructed action movie. It just establishes everything in the right way. We got a down-on-his-luck lead who we enjoy watching and want to see succeed, a creepy lead with Alan Rickman giving a just awesome performance, some really fun action and a great sense of tension, and old school non-cgi explosions. My only real gripes with this movie are that it maybe takes a smidge too long establishing things before the plot really gets going, and that the plot feels a bit small like there isn't a lot at stake. But still, it's not a movie about big political intrigue and psycho terrorists, it's just about a normal guy caught up in a crazy situation, and as that it works so damn well. And the Christmas stuff, that's just icing on the cake.
January 7, 2018
The best action movie of all-time. Sequels suffer from trying to top the original's tension by raising the stakes to unbelievablle levels (taking hostage entire airports, cities, etc.)
January 3, 2018
Die Hard is an instant Christmas classic.
½ January 3, 2018
One of the best Christmas movies ever. Also, one of the best action movies ever. What more could you want?
January 3, 2018
Quite simply the greatest action movie of all time. Even if they?d had CGI it would have been an incredible achievement, they did not have CGI and the action scenes are amazing. Bruce Willis is perfect, the toughest on screen action hero ever. There are two movies which I have watched then immediately watched again, this is one of them.
January 2, 2018
This movie is great action packed action. Action. Movie. Some of the stunts McClane does are hard to believe someone can really do it. I loved the 'High Noon' movie reference. Sort of makes you think that this movie was inspired by it.

Good movie, what can I say. They show this movie a million times on TV. Ace.
January 1, 2018
Belongs in the action movie top 10. Plot is small and focused leaving room for action scenes that make sense within the story. Also a fair amount of tension that later sequels ignore for the sake of explosions and special effects.
January 1, 2018
Brilliant action film that remains not only the best in its genre but also the best Christmas movie ever made. The cast is superb across the board, with the principles giving the performances of their careers. Bruce Willis cemented his superstar status as John McClane, playing him as an everyman just trying to save his wife. He's not a muscle-bound superhero as was the standard at the time, but just a quick-thinking (and often lucky) cop who really doesn't want to be in this situation. He is matched brilliantly by the late, great Alan Rickman (in his first film role) as Hans Gruber, who crafts one of the great villains in film history. Gruber is a charming sociopath who is has no qualms about killing to get what he wants, but does it with such intelligence & style, you actually root for him half the time (it's not coincidence that 'Ode to Joy' plays when the safe is finally cracked open). Behind the camera, John McTieran keeps the film going like a finely tuned watch, with every character & subplot paying off. He also grounds it in a nice bit of realism (there are just 12 terrorists, and you count off as each dies) and McClane spends to first half of the film hiding from the terrorists while trying to call for help breakthrough in non-macho action heroes. The fact McClain gets his butt kick most of the movie & is an utter mess at the end (you'll never go barefoot again) just makes you root for him even more. The humor is fun as well, from McClane's classic quips to the terrorists small but human moments, from making bets on who dies to sneaking a candy bar. Simply put, the best action film ever made and the best Christmas movie ever.
December 29, 2017
I give this a 97/A+.
December 28, 2017
A classic fun christmas action movie. Die Hard has quotable lines and is an incredibly fun movie to watch. Alan Rickman and Bruce Willis are fantastic.
½ December 26, 2017
Die Hard is a classic holiday action and suspense movie that is still great to this day! Bruce Willis and Alan Rickman both give great performances and this definitely a movie lot's of people could enjoy with the taut thrills, amazing action sequences and the hero taking down the enemy in the end!
December 26, 2017
Easily one of the best Action movies of all time! I watched it for "Christmas" this year and it still holds up. Bruce Willis shines as Detective John McClain. Alan Rickman as Hans Gruber (The Villain) is awesome!
December 25, 2017
Simply the greatest action film ever made.
December 25, 2017
Action film from 1988 that launched the Hollywood film career of its star man Bruce Willis. An acting career which until that time mainly involved US television shows. Moonlighting springs to mind.
Willis plays New York detective John McClane who visits his estranged wife Holly (Bonnie Bedelia) at Christmas time at her place of employment Nakatomi Plaza, a skyscraper HQ for the Nakatomi Corporation.
Whilst visiting the building just happens to come under attack by a ruthless gang of terrorists led by Hans Gruber (Alan Rickman).
Rickman is excellent as the villain Gruber. I was reminded of his excellence by seeing an image of him falling to his death from the 30th floor of the building a few days ago. An iconic Christmas moment!
Rickman would revel his villainous role and go onto similar as The Sheriff Of Nottingham in 1991s Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves.
It is Willis who steals the movie with his never say die attitude whilst half undressed. Barefoot and vested. Even he remarks it is better than being caught with your pants down.
Whatever happened to Bonnie Bedelia. I think she starred in 1990s Die Hard 2 and that's it?
The skyscraper holds millions of dollars in bonds in its vault hence the thieving terrorist angle.
Willis has a full head of his own hair. It was 1988!
Excellent caper.
December 25, 2017
It?s not xmas with out die hard
December 20, 2017
"Die Hard" is one of the best kick-ass action films that helped set pace for other action films to come. Intense acting (Bruce Willis was vigorously unstoppable as hero John McClane & Alan Rickman was cleverly conniving as villain Hans Gruber), magnificent action sequences, great direction from John McTiernan, & outstanding plot-line makes this film a treat for fans of action films! Truly awesome!

And people find this debatable, but I agree with those saying that "Die Hard" is a Christmas film.