Dogtooth (Kynodontas) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dogtooth (Kynodontas) Reviews

October 13, 2017
Yorgos Lanthimos é o herdeiro grego de Michael Haneke.
September 30, 2017
well well, this creepy thrilling film is hard to compartmentalize. but if i had to, the recipe is a lot of darkness, a bit of abuse, a sprinkle of absurd humor, mixed with incredible dialogue, topped with a sprig
of crazy. A must see in my book. and one of the most original films in modern times.
September 28, 2017
Probably the most uncomfortable film I've ever seen, Dogtooth is an emotionally subversive masterpiece that begs further examination of intimacy, morality, and the human condition. While many may find it too disturbing-and at times meandering-it is an incredibly crafted work of art that deserves thought and recognition.
September 27, 2017
A crazy situation where parents are purposefully deceiving their adult children about the world by secluding them and teaching lies. I suppose it's possible this situation could happen...but to what end? I liked the idea and the movie was well made I just didn't understand what the end result of all the lies by the parents was accomplishing. Does the father believe what he is teaching? It didn't seem like it. I liked the sexual tension and the aspect of licking as an affection/way get attention. Though the relationships were weird to the outside world we have to assume these kids don't know any different. I am not certain what movies the one daughter got to see (I am guessing flashdance and jaws).
½ September 27, 2017
A cold movie that is both hot, tense, shocking and disturbing, dazzling human nature in a sarcastic and absurd way, Yorgos Lanthimos' "Canine Tooth" is a driving class, where technical and creative resources talk so much. to the point of making the viewer believe in the complete absurdity of the plot of the great Greek director's work. The script of the film seems simple, basic, and perhaps even silly, telling the story of a father and a mother who raise their 3 children (already in their 25s), just inside the house, making them believe that the outside world is dangerous and taught them the distorted concepts of the world, the script tells us this story, but what is in the lines is much bigger, it is worth noting that even with one and a half hours of film, the family is very well developed to the everything, and only a little individual development of each character is lacking. Yorgos shows us a bit about the deconstruction of human nature, even with the 3 young people learning distorted and disconnected concepts and values, nature is there, the ambition to explore, the natural development of sexuality, the quest for subterfuge to achieve freedom even at the expense of blood), even the sense of economy is present, for even without the 3 young people knowing what it is, a barter trade is born between them, and even aggressiveness and civil obedience are shown as an inherent act to the human being, we can change their world, change the name of everything, create mythologies and limits, but gradually the human being wakes up. The thing that bounces the most in the technical part is the camera, the camera angles can be used to magnify a character, to vilanize a character, to humanize a character, etc. Here the angles do not start at all, they are cold, they do not seek character from anybody, they simply convey the story to us in a completely impartial way, it seems sometimes as if we were seeing a house camera, like a big brother, with angles badly positioned, and characters out of the corner, this is purposeful, because the characters have no name, we have no sense of where the story goes, nor what led the family to do this or their childhood, nothing more fair than the filming is also cold and indifferent, because we, the viewers, have to complete these gaps, the photograph does not say much, even though it is always very clear, we do not use warm colors, we have a palette pulled to a blue, besides, there is the good soundtrack, and the good editing. The performances of this film are frighteningly cool and realistic, even with that half-robotic tone (which is a feature of the Yorgos films), the acting does not sound cheesy or over-exaggerated, it's just the way it should be. Yorgos Lanthimos is an interesting guy, reminds me a lot of the dinamaquês Lars Von Trier, his style and his approach, Yorgos is a guy with very few films in his career, but it's good to keep an eye on him. "Canine Tooth" is a film that has been involved in many controversies, but is cinematographically complete, even short, he says a lot, disguised as a psychological suspense
½ September 16, 2017
Dogtooth, a 2009 Greek Drama about a controlling Father and Mother raising they're three kids in a isolated house.
What you may notice immediately is that half of the time the actors deliver their lines in a robotic way, but that's the only flaw I could find in this film. The rest of the time it's good and solid, but there's nothing to write home about.
The best quality of the film is the writing. The one thing Yorgos knows best is writing an original story with an interesting world and characters. There are enough little details in the dialogues and visuals that the story can be interpreted in a few different ways.
While Dogtooth doesn't reach the peak as high as The Lobster, it's offers a way more disturbing story about fear mongering.
September 7, 2017
Unsettling and smart, Dogtooth establishes Yorgos Lanthimos as one of the most original filmmakers of the century.
½ August 18, 2017
Weird movie but I like weird movies sometimes.
½ July 29, 2017
Amazing movie, I don't know if I like this more or less than The Lobster but both of them are both Amazing Movies!
June 20, 2017
Painful to watch, but mandatory.
Reminded me of Prophet's prey and how people are allowed to raise kids the way they want.
May 7, 2017
Unsettling and disturbing, but also one of the most original visions I've ever seen. The film draws you into its world so well that by the end, the only thing that seems strange is that the kids speak so normally for having been taught the wrong definitions for words as long as they have.
April 28, 2017
The value of true artworks depends on the viewer. That being said, Yorgos Lanthimos' cynical and both fascinating and highly disturbing film "Dogtooth" can be read either as the darkest of all comedies ever made, an over-the-top study about the consequences of over-protection in education, a secret plead for freedom, a courageous political allegory to fascist governments or something else I personally didn't discover. One might judge the film for its lack of big development and a background story, but claiming it to exploit the at times truly disgusting material it contains is complete nonsense because this movie definitely has something to say.
½ March 7, 2017
Strange, disturbing, and seemingly experimental, "Dogtooth" is a foreign language social critique as hard to explain as it to watch.
February 1, 2017
One of the most cerebral, and entirely unpleasant films ever made, but there were certain moments of the film that left me in awe. The acting is frighteningly good. It's a believable portrayal of a brainwashed family. I squirmed every time a character was beaten by the father or beaten themselves. It portrays a horrifying existence absolutely breathtakingly. You either love this movie, or you hate it. I'm pleased to find myself on the love side.
January 28, 2017
Dogtooth is so unsettling and warped it's hard to recommend, but recommend it I do.
December 24, 2016
genius film, very reminiscant of wes anderson style. I love how the parents fooled the kids so well, and how the kids were so innocent and stupid. wonderful film. Honestly though it was a bit slow and boring though so i had to watch it on x2x4 speed alot of the way through, just to get through it.
December 11, 2016
This film makes me sick.
December 9, 2016
Possibly the weirdest, freakiest film I have ever seen. If you don't mind subtitles (or speak Greek), watch this. Super freaky!
October 22, 2016
Yorgos Lanthimos's experiment on the human mind and our perception of the outside world is quite the challenge to watch and stomach. Kynodontas is a decidedly unnervingly film, a film which goes to great lengths to shock and terrify its audience.