Donnie Darko - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Donnie Darko Reviews

½ September 21, 2017
Something truly magical lies within this film. There is a balance and a sense of confusion which collide together into something different which make this movie a cult. I love the cast, the music and the mood of this story. One of those films that must be seen at least twice, and even if you get the meaning of it the magic never disappears.
September 10, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time, Donnie Darko is one of those super abstract and dark movies you need to watch twice to understand. Criminally underrated, this movie really makes you question your own reality and the possibilities that stretch before it.
September 6, 2017
I don't think I've ever heard of this! Well, that's not true. It sounds familiar, like someone has mentioned it, but beyond that I have no idea.
½ September 4, 2017
It's the kind of film that is trying too hard to have a twist ending, and with the unique personality all around this film that kind of ending wasn't even needed.
September 3, 2017
One of the best movies I've ever seen. Really makes you think, the setting is nailed perfectly, and the story overall is incredible. A movie you can see over and over again.
September 2, 2017
Donnie Darko wasn't an Horror film. it thriller science-fiction Genre. the movie has some idea what is only main corrupt timely follows Mental Minds. this is much periodontics Philosophy correct film, you get it.
August 16, 2017
Strange, remarkable, magnetic and transfixing. Richard Kelly's debut sparkles with intelligent ideas, mysterious plot points, and a fantastic performance from Jake Gyllenhaal that'll knock you flat.
August 16, 2017
A little bit weird, but an interesting story and a nice beginning to Jake Gyllenhaal's career.

Donnie (Jake Gyllenhaal) is a bright and charming high-school student who also has a dark and willfully eccentric side; he does little to mask his contempt for many of his peers and enjoys challenging the authority of the adults around him. Donnie is also visited on occasion by Frank, a monstrous six-foot rabbit that only Donnie can see who often urges him to perform dangerous and destructive pranks. Late one night, Frank leads Donnie out of his home to inform him that the world will come to an end in less than a month; moments later, the engine of a jet aircraft comes crashing through the ceiling of Donnie's room, making him think there might be something to Frank's prophesies after all.

I'll be completely honest. I watched this movie at 5 AM in the morning, so I don't have a ton to say. I won't be able to go in depth because I was a bit too tired. Does that mean my opinion of this film is sound? Probably not. But I felt like I got enough of a grasp on it to know how much I liked it. I also imagine this film getting better time. Anyways, here we go!

My favorite part of this film was the snarky and unexpected dark humor. It's not a heavy comedy by any means, but it has plenty of weird and funny moments that totally work. The jokes in this film land and considering it's not a comedy first, it just makes the laughs an extra bonus.

The screenplay was well written and very interesting. It was a very cohesive script that flowed well and tied in very well. The story was able to unfold at a nice pace and it was a very intriguing plot. It's totally weird in a sense, but I do like the underlying messages that align with time, fate, and all that good stuff.

In the end, I don't really have much to say. This is just a quick write on my general thoughts about the film. The acting worked well, the screenplay was well written, and it was an interesting story. It's a little bit too weird in the sense that not everything made sense in the end, but I definitely wouldn't mind watching it again.
½ August 15, 2017
Very entertaining, psychological thriller
Great acting and suspenseful, with a brilliant ending.
August 4, 2017
My all time favorite movie. This particular film actually changed my perception on a couple things. An absolute pleasure to watch, time and time again
July 19, 2017
I know this doesn't really deserve 5 stars. But this introduced me to a wider world of movies and the nostalgia goes a long way so go suck a fuck!
July 13, 2017
Delightfully weird & oddly intriguing, Donnie Darko is a cult classic everyone should see twice.
July 9, 2017
I just finished watching Donnie Darko for the second viewing and enjoyed it a lot more this time around. Richard Kelly fantastically directs a unique Sci-fi / Thriller / Time travel / and Coming of Age film. Donnie Darko leaves you with so many ways that you could interpret the end of the film. This film never leaves you bored and always leaves you wanting to know more. All the performances are fantastic especially from the great young Jake Gyllenhaal. This film is nor for the average movie goer.
July 3, 2017
My all-time favourite film of all time! Richard Kelly created a unique Sci-Fi/ Coming of Age/ Thriller that came out at the wrong time. Not a film for the casual viewer, Gyllenhaal captivates the audience in this cult classic. With a terrific sountrack, smart script and a brilliant cast there is never a dull moment. A must watching if you are intrested in mystery and time travel!
July 2, 2017
The greatest film of all of time. From scene to scene, from one dialogue to the next, the whole film is full of greatness. From perfectly angled camera shots to mastery of music and picture, this icon of a cult classic is re-watchable in every aspect. The plot creates a gregarious sense till the very end with a structure that all audiences will want to unravel. Each actor gives perfectly flawless performances. What makes this movie a top notch above the rest is due to its mixture of plot and perfect scenes that gives viewers something more valuable than a movie experience. The movie teaches a lesson that goes beyond it's unclear purpose of a movie but all is found through it's protagonist, with his dialogue the viewers can created own meaning through this character. That is what makes this movie the greatest, it's profound visual pleasing adapted with it's perfect soundtrack by Michael Andrews, Richard Kelly provides us with a classic for the ages and a titan of a movie. All this is clearly discernable even by one scene of this spectacular movie, and one I consider to be the greatest scene in film history, the Movie Theater scene. When Frank appears the lighting, the contrast, the dialogue, the purpose, even the very pace of this scene is perfect, and is all captured with music. Absolutely great. This movie is full of daring ideas, and a story that goes beyond everything it's competitors of psychological thrillers have accomplished. Also alot of people ask what should I I come away with in this movie, and it's what I have just stated. Lastly there are two bigger reasons this movie should more than 100% one it is that the cast is perfect and I it is obvious that they are in either other great movies or other horrible movies, the point is that when you watch this you the thought of these actors dissapear and you can't even image the actors playing any other role anywhere! I didn't even know who Patrick Swayze was before this movie. And two it's a meaning about purpose/existence, which is perfect with it's themes, especially it's time travel theme. 101/100
July 2, 2017
The greatest film of all of time. From scene to scene, from one dialogue to the next, the whole film is full of greatness. From perfectly angled camera shots to mastery of music and picture, this icon of a cult classic is re-watchable in every aspect. The plot creates a gregarious sense till the very end with a structure that all audiences will want to unravel. Each actor gives perfectly flawless performances. What makes this movie a top notch above the rest is due to its mixture of plot and perfect scenes that gives viewers something more valuable than a movie experience. The movie teaches a lesson that goes beyond it's unclear purpose of a movie but all is found through it's protagonist, with his dialogue the viewers can created own meaning through this character. That is what makes this movie the greatest, it's profound visual please adapted with it's perfect soundtrack by Michael Andrews, Richard Kelly provides us with a classic for the ages a titan of a movie. All this is clearly discernable even by one scene of this spectacular movie, and one I consider to be the greatest scene in film history, the movie theater scene. Absolutely great.
June 28, 2017
I love this movie so much, I don't even know how it put it into words. It is still Jake Gyllenhaal's best and strongest performance in my opinion. I still rewatch it every now and again. Drew Barrymore shouldn't have been in it, but at least she didn't ruin it. Not many movies can make me feel so many emotions like this one. One of my top favorite movies of all time.
June 22, 2017
It's my favourite movie!!
½ June 21, 2017
A mind-bending thriller that stays on your mind for days after watching it. Donnie darko blends mental illness with supernatural in a perfectly chilling way that leaves viewers questioning their own world around them. A beautiful soundtrack and wonderfull filming techniques, this film takes a step outside the norm.
June 16, 2017
Man, I don't know where to start. This film was amazing. Truly Spectacular. It's in the running for my Favorite movie. Donnie Darko is about a teen who is seeing visions of a big bunny who manipulates him to do crimes. This film isn't just a thriller. It's also a Comedy, a drama, a sci-fi. It doesn't just fit into one genre, it fits into many. Some of the themes are Fear, Destiny, Time Travel, and God's Plan in life. Jake Gyllenhaal was amazing in this film as a teen trying to figure out what this Bunny is telling him and how these signs fit into the "Plan". The Cinematography was excellent. I never got bored. It was a very entertaining while being thought provoking. It really makes you think about what you would do in these situations. I don't know how much I can say without giving away too much. The ending of this film is such an excellent twist. If I had to recommend a film to people, this one would be on the list of films to recommend. This film is probably now one of my favorite films. Definitely check it out!!

Rating: 10/10