Donnie Darko - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Donnie Darko Reviews

July 19, 2017
I know this doesn't really deserve 5 stars. But this introduced me to a wider world of movies and the nostalgia goes a long way so go suck a fuck!
July 13, 2017
Delightfully weird & oddly intriguing, Donnie Darko is a cult classic everyone should see twice.
July 9, 2017
I just finished watching Donnie Darko for the second viewing and enjoyed it a lot more this time around. Richard Kelly fantastically directs a unique Sci-fi / Thriller / Time travel / and Coming of Age film. Donnie Darko leaves you with so many ways that you could interpret the end of the film. This film never leaves you bored and always leaves you wanting to know more. All the performances are fantastic especially from the great young Jake Gyllenhaal. This film is nor for the average movie goer.
July 3, 2017
My all-time favourite film of all time! Richard Kelly created a unique Sci-Fi/ Coming of Age/ Thriller that came out at the wrong time. Not a film for the casual viewer, Gyllenhaal captivates the audience in this cult classic. With a terrific sountrack, smart script and a brilliant cast there is never a dull moment. A must watching if you are intrested in mystery and time travel!
July 2, 2017
The greatest film of all of time. From scene to scene, from one dialogue to the next, the whole film is full of greatness. From perfectly angled camera shots to mastery of music and picture, this icon of a cult classic is re-watchable in every aspect. The plot creates a gregarious sense till the very end with a structure that all audiences will want to unravel. Each actor gives perfectly flawless performances. What makes this movie a top notch above the rest is due to its mixture of plot and perfect scenes that gives viewers something more valuable than a movie experience. The movie teaches a lesson that goes beyond it's unclear purpose of a movie but all is found through it's protagonist, with his dialogue the viewers can created own meaning through this character. That is what makes this movie the greatest, it's profound visual pleasing adapted with it's perfect soundtrack by Michael Andrews, Richard Kelly provides us with a classic for the ages and a titan of a movie. All this is clearly discernable even by one scene of this spectacular movie, and one I consider to be the greatest scene in film history, the Movie Theater scene. When Frank appears the lighting, the contrast, the dialogue, the purpose, even the very pace of this scene is perfect, and is all captured with music. Absolutely great. This movie is full of daring ideas, and a story that goes beyond everything it's competitors of psychological thrillers have accomplished. Also alot of people ask what should I I come away with in this movie, and it's what I have just stated. Lastly there are two bigger reasons this movie should more than 100% one it is that the cast is perfect and I it is obvious that they are in either other great movies or other horrible movies, the point is that when you watch this you the thought of these actors dissapear and you can't even image the actors playing any other role anywhere! I didn't even know who Patrick Swayze was before this movie. And two it's a meaning about purpose/existence, which is perfect with it's themes, especially it's time travel theme. 101/100
July 2, 2017
The greatest film of all of time. From scene to scene, from one dialogue to the next, the whole film is full of greatness. From perfectly angled camera shots to mastery of music and picture, this icon of a cult classic is re-watchable in every aspect. The plot creates a gregarious sense till the very end with a structure that all audiences will want to unravel. Each actor gives perfectly flawless performances. What makes this movie a top notch above the rest is due to its mixture of plot and perfect scenes that gives viewers something more valuable than a movie experience. The movie teaches a lesson that goes beyond it's unclear purpose of a movie but all is found through it's protagonist, with his dialogue the viewers can created own meaning through this character. That is what makes this movie the greatest, it's profound visual please adapted with it's perfect soundtrack by Michael Andrews, Richard Kelly provides us with a classic for the ages a titan of a movie. All this is clearly discernable even by one scene of this spectacular movie, and one I consider to be the greatest scene in film history, the movie theater scene. Absolutely great.
June 28, 2017
I love this movie so much, I don't even know how it put it into words. It is still Jake Gyllenhaal's best and strongest performance in my opinion. I still rewatch it every now and again. Drew Barrymore shouldn't have been in it, but at least she didn't ruin it. Not many movies can make me feel so many emotions like this one. One of my top favorite movies of all time.
June 22, 2017
It's my favourite movie!!
½ June 21, 2017
A mind-bending thriller that stays on your mind for days after watching it. Donnie darko blends mental illness with supernatural in a perfectly chilling way that leaves viewers questioning their own world around them. A beautiful soundtrack and wonderfull filming techniques, this film takes a step outside the norm.
June 16, 2017
Man, I don't know where to start. This film was amazing. Truly Spectacular. It's in the running for my Favorite movie. Donnie Darko is about a teen who is seeing visions of a big bunny who manipulates him to do crimes. This film isn't just a thriller. It's also a Comedy, a drama, a sci-fi. It doesn't just fit into one genre, it fits into many. Some of the themes are Fear, Destiny, Time Travel, and God's Plan in life. Jake Gyllenhaal was amazing in this film as a teen trying to figure out what this Bunny is telling him and how these signs fit into the "Plan". The Cinematography was excellent. I never got bored. It was a very entertaining while being thought provoking. It really makes you think about what you would do in these situations. I don't know how much I can say without giving away too much. The ending of this film is such an excellent twist. If I had to recommend a film to people, this one would be on the list of films to recommend. This film is probably now one of my favorite films. Definitely check it out!!

Rating: 10/10
June 8, 2017
It's been years since Donnie Darko came out, and it's still surprises and wows people. This film is such a mind bender it still leaves you guessing for years to come.
A classic cult strongly recommend that if you like time travel, sci-fi, mind blowing movies.
½ May 30, 2017
What makes "Donnie Darko" most valuable is the intrigue it reveals. While trying to sketch among my notes, I realized that despite of the conjectures, I had no conclusions. And in this, the first feature film by Richard Kelly, great doubts overlap with understandable facts. 88/100
May 21, 2017
I saw this when it first came out and hated it immediately. 14 years latet it is up there with one of my favourite sci-fi thriller
½ May 20, 2017
Donnie Darko is the most confusing movie I have every seen in my life.
One of the Strangest films I've ever seen!
You probably won't understand the plot fully, watching first time.Type of a movie you gotta watch twice.
This is a movie that deals with death, religion, rebirth and many other strong subjects of discussion.
A really clever movie with a mind blowing ending.
May 20, 2017
Even though this movie came out 16 years ago, it still holds up as one of the finest examples of both mystery and above all, comedy. This is definetly one of my favorite films of all time
½ May 17, 2017
Fantastic fable! Some of the ideas may get a little convoluted and confusing, but it's a really interesting mythology set up here. With great music, score, design and a killer early performance from Gyllenhaal, it's an easy recommendation if you want a movie to think about afterwards.
½ May 16, 2017
A bit confusing. The movie doesn't explain much itself. Need to find other source out.
½ May 12, 2017
Had a nice setting at the beginning but, at times, it felt like it was trying way too goddamn hard. The parts where Donnie tries to defy the teachers with his beliefs are really cringy. If he really is smart, why doesn't he realise that his opinion should be kept to himself at those times?
Anyways, the film felt quite bland and, like said, cringy at times.
I still wonder why it is recommended so often and why it even is put at par with Requiem For a Dream (a God-tier film).
½ May 11, 2017
I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad...
May 7, 2017
Great movie!! Very strange though.