Donnie Darko - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Donnie Darko Reviews

½ February 18, 2017
Great movie!! Very strange though.
February 7, 2017
In 1988 an extraordinary, but troubled 16-year-old boy named Donnie Darko (Jake Gyllenhaal) is lured away from his house by Frank, a strange figure in a bunny suit that only Donnie can see. As a result, he survives a freak accident that should have killed him. He is told by Frank that the world will end in 28 days and this film follows Donnie as he tries to make sense of this knowledge. Will Donnie try to save the world or just let it end?

This is a quirky, bittersweet, gem of a film that requires you to actually think a bit for it all to make sense.
½ February 5, 2017
An offbeat kind of a movie. With an interesting plot the movie delivers suspense all through out. It consistently makes you guessing what's going to happen. There's great acting and great cinematography. It goes very in depth with details. Keeps you on the edge of your seat wanting more.
February 2, 2017
Donnie Darko (2001) C-113m. ?? D: Richard Kelly. Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Malone, Drew Barrymore, James Duval, Beth Grant, Patrick Swayze. Psychedelic film about an aloof teenager who is manipulated to hurt others and commit crimes by a man in a large rabbit suit. This leads Gyllenhaal (and viewer) into hypnotic odyssey of strangeness and the (supposed) supernatural. Well acted film destroyed by unsatisfying resolution. Director's Cut (which runs 133 minutes) is reportedly superior.
½ January 22, 2017
170121: During viewing, and without any prior knowledge, I found this film a bit disturbing. Experience with mental health issues threw me down the Schizophrenia hole and that topic is even mentioned in the film. Until the end, and during my research afterwards, I discovered the true meaning of the film? Yes, I did research because my mind was filled with questions that had to be answered. So, that's a good thing right? To be honest, I am eager to see this film again but just not right away. I need more time to relax, distance myself and ponder. Features some outstanding actors and a weird twisted tale. Sit back, relax and be patient. Just don't be surprised if you find yourself searching the Internet afterwards.
December 29, 2016
That movie is SO FUCKING GOOD, at the same time that is very complicated and insane
December 29, 2016
Está película es espectacular, nuevamente otra película de Jake Gyllenhaal que me pone a pensar y a verla más veces, los personajes son agradables, incluso Donnie Darko, y la historia es espectacular.
December 29, 2016
i have it and haven't watched it yet
December 28, 2016
Wow, one of the best early 00's movies out there. Gyllenhaal, as always, nails it. Is this guy ever going to win anything? Come on.
December 26, 2016
An all time cult classic with great performances from an amazing cast, an interesting premise with a a great script, some concepts may seem a little confusing and may require a second or third viewing to fully understand, tho.
December 16, 2016
Nias bailando coreografas para el colegio. En cmara lenta. Dos veces. La rebelda intelectual de Donnie fastidia tanto como las lavadas de cerebro. Lo del viaje en el tiempo es absurdo. Una maestra lanza al cielo un grito desgarrador porque la despiden. El atractivo de la pelcula reside sencillamente en que Donnie est loco y su amigo imaginario es un hombre con disfraz de conejo. Y en que tiene una enamorada con quien es incmodo, la mejor escena de la pelcula es cuando la acompaa a su casa. Y el vecindario es muy bonito. 6/10
December 10, 2016
Apenas me limito ao consenso do site:''A estria de Richard Kelly como diretor em Donnie Darko uma viso original ousada, repleta de ideias dissonantes e inteligentes que tambm apresenta um desempenho notvel de Jake Gyllenhaal como o personagem ttulo.''
December 8, 2016
ok so this was a re-watch.. which i originally gave 1/2 a star....i kept seeing pop up on the best movie lists that i looked up. I was young.
I watched it again..it was awesome! It really was. It was weird, and thrilling just what i like. it was one those mind-fuck movies that for me had to be watched twice....
November 25, 2016
I see life that never comes to pass.
November 18, 2016
Smart, brooding, moving and well shot, Darko is one of those movies you'll have to see again and again to capture it all. Mixing sci-fi and a teenage 80's movie, the mind warping subject matter may be a bit hard of a pill to swallow and perhaps even a bit frustrating, and thats fine. Its not for everyone. However if you like getting your hands dirty and question all that youve seen and felt, watch it with a friend or loved one so you can discuss later. Cuz trust me, you will.
November 18, 2016
Mejor pelicula de culto
November 17, 2016
Genius. Imaginative. Well made with some fantastic acting. Dark and wonderful. Love it.
November 14, 2016
You can realize that this is quite an personal movie for director Richard Kelly, but still he was able to 'implant' ambiguity into the plot of this 80s freakshow. Donnie Darko is certainly one of my favorite movies.
November 6, 2016
Una experiencia sonambula y esquizofrenia, con cierto sabor a nostalgia por los aos 80s. Buena opcin para una fria tarde de viernes.
November 3, 2016
A semi-satisfying movie for anyone who looks at the mainstream from the outside.