Donnie Darko - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Donnie Darko Reviews

November 14, 2017
No much explanation about what it happens, you have to go beyond the movie to understand it, but it's a great movie with an unexpected end.
November 14, 2017
Donnie Darko is a very interesting science-fiction film, but it's one that only has a cult status, when it's pretty good and deserves better. The performances are convincing, especially from Jake Gyllenhaal, and the plot is a little freaky and also a little complicated to understand. But I still find it to be a very good sci-fi cult film, and that creepy bunny rabit suit may just give you a few chills. Recommended !!
½ November 8, 2017
Donnie Darko: Thought provokingness and stuffed with ideas and messages. Donnie Darko is a cult masterpeice that never stops clicking.
October 30, 2017
All time greatest movie's of all time. Its the prefect script, characters, location, soundtrack, cinematography, story and more. Its absolutely the best movie on my list.
October 26, 2017
The film is so complicated its amazing a film with this story was ever made. Richard Kelly created a film that found its audience on dvd as oppose to the cinema. The film is bursting at the seams with creativity and the cast have enough character background to fill two movies. It's a shame Kelly has struggled to hit the heights of this film again, I'll be rewatching Southland Tales soon enough. This film is incredible and it has such a distinct tone, you can't help but feel the dedication from all involved. The high school introduction scene is expertly crafted and those final moments are hard to watch. One of the greatest cult films created, I only regret not seeing it at the movies. 26-10-2017.
½ October 24, 2017
Donnie Darko will melt your face, and might send you on a internet searching tizzy while you're at it.
½ October 19, 2017
A-
Compelling and smart, Donnie Darko blends creative storytelling with eerie presentation -- resulting in a film that as haunting as it is emotionally satisfying.
October 19, 2017
i wish it wasn't R...
October 16, 2017
Just watched and it was extremely thought provoking and instantly became one of my favorite movies
October 5, 2017
This movie believes it is way smarter than it is...
October 4, 2017
Good horror Halloween type movie starring Jake gumball and his sister, I don't know how to spell their last names but they were good. I like this movie.
September 24, 2017
What a pile of crap!!!
½ September 21, 2017
Something truly magical lies within this film. There is a balance and a sense of confusion which collide together into something different which make this movie a cult. I love the cast, the music and the mood of this story. One of those films that must be seen at least twice, and even if you get the meaning of it the magic never disappears.
September 10, 2017
One of my favorite movies of all time, Donnie Darko is one of those super abstract and dark movies you need to watch twice to understand. Criminally underrated, this movie really makes you question your own reality and the possibilities that stretch before it.
September 6, 2017
I don't think I've ever heard of this! Well, that's not true. It sounds familiar, like someone has mentioned it, but beyond that I have no idea.
½ September 4, 2017
It's the kind of film that is trying too hard to have a twist ending, and with the unique personality all around this film that kind of ending wasn't even needed.
September 3, 2017
One of the best movies I've ever seen. Really makes you think, the setting is nailed perfectly, and the story overall is incredible. A movie you can see over and over again.
September 2, 2017
Donnie Darko wasn't an Horror film. it thriller science-fiction Genre. the movie has some idea what is only main corrupt timely follows Mental Minds. this is much periodontics Philosophy correct film, you get it.
August 16, 2017
Strange, remarkable, magnetic and transfixing. Richard Kelly's debut sparkles with intelligent ideas, mysterious plot points, and a fantastic performance from Jake Gyllenhaal that'll knock you flat.
August 16, 2017
A little bit weird, but an interesting story and a nice beginning to Jake Gyllenhaal's career.

Donnie (Jake Gyllenhaal) is a bright and charming high-school student who also has a dark and willfully eccentric side; he does little to mask his contempt for many of his peers and enjoys challenging the authority of the adults around him. Donnie is also visited on occasion by Frank, a monstrous six-foot rabbit that only Donnie can see who often urges him to perform dangerous and destructive pranks. Late one night, Frank leads Donnie out of his home to inform him that the world will come to an end in less than a month; moments later, the engine of a jet aircraft comes crashing through the ceiling of Donnie's room, making him think there might be something to Frank's prophesies after all.

I'll be completely honest. I watched this movie at 5 AM in the morning, so I don't have a ton to say. I won't be able to go in depth because I was a bit too tired. Does that mean my opinion of this film is sound? Probably not. But I felt like I got enough of a grasp on it to know how much I liked it. I also imagine this film getting better time. Anyways, here we go!

My favorite part of this film was the snarky and unexpected dark humor. It's not a heavy comedy by any means, but it has plenty of weird and funny moments that totally work. The jokes in this film land and considering it's not a comedy first, it just makes the laughs an extra bonus.

The screenplay was well written and very interesting. It was a very cohesive script that flowed well and tied in very well. The story was able to unfold at a nice pace and it was a very intriguing plot. It's totally weird in a sense, but I do like the underlying messages that align with time, fate, and all that good stuff.

In the end, I don't really have much to say. This is just a quick write on my general thoughts about the film. The acting worked well, the screenplay was well written, and it was an interesting story. It's a little bit too weird in the sense that not everything made sense in the end, but I definitely wouldn't mind watching it again.