Donnie Darko - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Donnie Darko Reviews

½ October 21, 2016
A little disappointed with the popular cult film Donnie Darko. I wanted scarier, not realizing it wasn't even meant to be scary. And I think they took a few corny turns en route to explain this save-the-world, time travel piece. My biggest qualm was the strange casting. Drew Barrymore was just awful with her acting (let's just say, yeah, she deserved to get fired like her character did). The late, great Patrick Swayze was such an odd casting for his role, and it was kind of sad to see him do that after all the great things he gave us all these years. And just about every employee at that school needed to be rounded up and have a jet engine fall on THEIR heads. Now, sadly, this is one of those times where I will fully, undoubtedly ADMIT that I didn't get this movie. Not until searching online, where I came across explanations and article that I found far more interesting and entertaining than the movie itself. I didn't focus on the time travel, alternate universe stuff. I was just simply watching the events unfold on the most basic of levels, just trodding along thinking about this Donnie kid and his family and the town. I never realized he was saving the world or that he had these powers. I understood the timeline aspect, like when we finally meet alive-Frank (as opposed to dead-Frank who we meet first). I understood how certain events didn't follow in actual sequential ordering and the dead were time travelling to manipulate the events of the story. I just didn't understand how Donnie knew what was going on all along and that he needed to sacrifice his own life for the love of his girlfriend who he'll never meet thanks to his time travelling, and his family, and, well, the world itself. But somehow, he knew and we're supposed to just go with it. A neat idea, but somewhat poorly demonstrated for audiences. And what was with that weird wave between Donnie's mother and Gretchen at the end? Or mother's casual, cigarette smoking, I'm-cool-with-it demeanor as they carted her deceased son's body out of the house?
½ October 17, 2016
Starts off slow and builds to an unexpected punch. The visuals are definitely inspired by Lynch with a tad less irony. And I thought it was going to be a gonzo animated feature about a rabbit! What a fun soundtrack.
½ October 4, 2016
Where do I start with this one. Very dark and deceiving leaving the audience waiting for answers. A great trip from beginning to end. The ending was somewhat confusing but definitely made this movie. If you like thought provoking movies this is definitely for you because there is so many ways to interpret it.
September 25, 2016
Watched Donnie Darko today. Every time I watch it, there's something new. Something new in the plot that I never noticed or an actor that's in it that I never really noticed before. It's a pretty haunting film. I noticed today that Seth Rogen was in it before he was famous, playing the bully Ricky Danforth. James Duvall played Frank the Rabbit. Of course Drew Barrymore, Noah Wyle and Patrick Swayze were already big stars, but now I recognize Mary McDonnell and a ton of other actors who later became much more well known. It's still an an awesome and odd movie with an equally awesome soundtrack. It's one of those films that you can keep enjoying over and over again.
½ September 21, 2016
Trazendo um perfeito mistério central numa trama muito bem escrita e dirigida,ótimas atuações e personagens bem densenvolvidos,Donnie Darko é um ótimo filme de ficção e suspense envolvidos numa trama perfeitamente exploradas.
September 13, 2016
One of the most original films to come out that year with great performances and witty dialogue. So bizarre yet still manages to always still be entertaining.
Bradley T. Johnson
½ September 11, 2016
Donnie Darko is an inventive cult classic. It's concept is smart and Jake Gyllenhaal delivers a great performance, however, not all aspects of the story really mesh together. Darko deals with time travel, the apocalypse, and death in a cold and clinical way. There is no doubt that even when I was scratching my head at how the feature wrapped up, I couldn't deny the thought provoking themes delivered with such daring. So while Donnie Darko is a hard movie to embrace, it is also a difficult movie to shake off and has earned its status as a cult classic. Rating: 66
September 5, 2016
Donnie Darko Is a complex movie, that keep you entertaining trought all the time and leave you in shock with the final scene.
September 3, 2016
Donnie Darko is well directed, perfectly scripted, with remarkable performances and good photography. The only problem with the film is definitely the sound mixing and editing.
½ August 24, 2016
Weird but great ending.
August 23, 2016
I loved every second of this masterpiece it is trully an amazing movie.The plot was perfectly organized ( you must watch the directors cut version in order to fully understand the movie tho..) . All characters were perfectly made and played pefectly especially by Jake Gyllenhaal, Jena Maloneand Drew Barrymore
A must see
August 21, 2016
One of my all time favourites. Now if you understand this film (watch the directors cut) you will appreciate it for what it is. A VERY clever film. If you dont understand it you will seriously question this 5 star rating ... Brilliant.
July 30, 2016
a what the f*** of a film
½ July 24, 2016
I don't think this is as good as most pissed off young adults but it is still very interesting. I prefer Brokeback Mountain, but what do I know?
July 22, 2016
The ending is VERY weird, and the whole movies a bit too odd for me, but that being said, I did enjoy Donnie Darko, thanks to a good story and a great performance from Jake Gyllenhaal.
July 20, 2016
Fantástica, compleja pero si tienes predefinido o familiarizado con algunos conceptos, la entiendes bien, simplemente grandiosa.
July 19, 2016
Had a nice setting at the beginning but, at times, it felt like it was trying way too goddamn hard. The parts where Donnie tries to defy the teachers with his beliefs are really cringy. If he really is smart, why doesn't he realise that his opinion should be kept to himself at those times?
Anyways, the film felt quite bland and, like said, cringy at times.
I still wonder why it is recommended so often and why it even is put at par with Requiem For a Dream (a God-tier film).
July 18, 2016
One of my favorite movies of all time
½ July 13, 2016
"Donnie Darko" was a movie that came out when I was in middle school, and I discovered it in High School and really dug it. It has great ideas, visuals, and a great lead actor in Gyllenhaal. I was always drawn to this idea of a piece of a plane crashing into Donnie's bedroom, because it was a sort of minor fear I had before seeing the film...I'm not sure why, but I often would think about the possibility of such an occurrence while in bed back then. Seeing the movie in it's original cut again reminded me of all the things I liked about it, and showed me that it really is a great little movie. Vastly better than the overstuffed and overly explained Director's Cut.
July 11, 2016
no tengo palabras para describir la película