Donnie Darko - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Donnie Darko Reviews

April 24, 2018
Everyone always raved about how good this movie is. It was kind of interesting, but really I found it to be one of those movies for teenagers thinking they're all deep. Maybe if I had seen it when I was that age it would have been cooler to me.
April 11, 2018
By the sounds of it you would think this is awful. but it was a really great movie, very unique and complex
April 10, 2018
Donnie Darko is a film that seems to have become a legendary coming-of-age film. The keyword however is "seems." Beginning the film, I had high hopes. I was expecting a film about a teen learning to control his schizophrenia, perhaps expressed through the demon known as Frank. Rather, I received a film that was blatantly confusing and contrived. Many reviewers proclaimed that you have to watch the film for a second time to truly understand the symbolism. However I could watch hardly it the first time, it wasn't in the slightest interesting, until the final act. The film focuses on too many characters to the point they are all character tropes. If that was the film's intention, then they shouldn't have include what I perceived to be 45 minutes of their menial interactions with Donnie (especially his girlfriend). Donnie himself was bland; he was a "woke" teen ( I'm guessing something exemplary in the 80s). Yet, the film barely focuses on his backstory as to how be became so enlightened. Leading to me the viewer, not really caring about the protagonist; especially with such monotone dialogue. One aspect of the film I did like however was the cinematography. There were many eye-catching shots, and the music fit the atmosphere perfectly.
April 8, 2018
Philosophically-thought-provoking and overly smart written, Donnie Darko has Richard Kelly as the writer and director of a creative, adequately structured and deep in meaning and over-analytical context and story that'll deserve the continuous viewings that'll only benefit its conception and twisted take as one of the most original "sci-fi-time-traveling" flicks ever conceived in an indie spectrum, presenting Jake Gyllenhaal in one of his most iconic roles.
April 3, 2018
Donnie Darko is a brilliant, deeply layered, psychological, relatable, dark yet humorous story about the frustrating aspects of growing up. Furthermore, it has mystifying sci-fi elements leaving more questions open than answered, which combined with its unnerving soundtrack makes for a unique experience. To me, Donnie Darko is cinematic perfection.
½ March 28, 2018
this movie has a great story and a deep meaning.
March 19, 2018
most overrated piece of shit I've watched till now.
March 13, 2018
Great film. Brings teenage conflicts and show another side of science fiction, with theories of travel of time.
A movie that gets attention and makes you think.
March 9, 2018
Great characters and music i Dont know anything wrong with this wonderfully weird film
March 8, 2018
This film is astoundingly clever, captivating and different along with being a great portrayal of teenage emotion. put that with the amazing soundtrack, possibly one of the best films ever made.
March 7, 2018
Puntaje original: 6.5

Un film con personalidad propia, que cuenta con una historia absorbente, de la mano de una gran actuación de Jake gyllenhall.
February 19, 2018
one of best movies ever
February 16, 2018
This movie is a cult classic so I watched it. But I think I must have missed something. All I thought at the end was, "Well, that was weird." I will say that it had some good music in it.
February 5, 2018
Donnie Darko provides an interesting and intelligent storyline, memorable characters and lines, as well as a truly underrated performance by Jake Gyllenhaal. Dark, funny, and surprisingly touching, Donnie Darko tells a bittersweet story about enjoying life even when given a countdown to the end.

4/5 stars
February 1, 2018
wow interesting name... hint the sarcasim
January 18, 2018
recommend to every one PAY ATTENTION
½ January 17, 2018
This is what a cult movie should look like.
January 2, 2018
Confusing yet great movie.Donnie Darko kept my interest the whole time.Jake Gyllenhaal gave a great and memorable performance.
December 27, 2017
Donnie Darko takes that extra step other films dare not to. Perplexing yet valiant, Richard Kelly shows ingenious dialouge and an engrossing story one can acknowledge with Gyllenhaal's marvelous performance.
December 26, 2017
If I am being completely honest, I found myself not enjoying a majority of this movie. I felt kind of bored by most of it and failed to see what the fuss was about while finally getting around to seeing it. However, I kept watching until the end, and the finale made me at least consider it an okay movie. I felt the ending made me think a lot and left me somewhat intrigued by the whole thing. It certainly is an original movie with good performances. It is never particularly unwatchable, but I just think people enjoy analyzing it more than anything else. It's a tricky movie to review because I want to watch it again and dig into some of the themes, but I also didn't particularly enjoy a good portion of it. I think if you are a film buff, it's worth checking out, but as far as my opinion stands, I think it is a pretty average movie.