Donnie Darko - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Donnie Darko Reviews

April 25, 2017
Donnie Darko takes that extra step other films dare not too. Perplexing yet valiant, Richard Kelly shows ingenious dialouge and an engrossing story one can acknowledge with Gyllenhaal's marvelous performance.
April 23, 2017
If you want to relax while watching a movie, I think Donnie Darko is not for you.For me watching Donnie Darko was a lifetime experience, probably like a teen version of Inception, maybe even more complicated.Acting in this movie is incredible, directing is also good, soundtrack phenomenal.
½ April 16, 2017
Definitely strange but full of weird takes on the 80s, teenagers, high school, and other Americana that make it like a John Hughes movie filtered through a kind of science fiction sensibility.
April 16, 2017
Amazingly smart movie that makes you think harder than before.
April 14, 2017
Love this movie seen it so many times already and still enjoy it though I might start getting a little tired of it. Only reason why it isn't higher than four stars is because certain people I don't like enjoy this movie.
April 13, 2017
Critics today desire and encourage originality and tend to "despise" the generic and formulaic movies; however, they reward the cliche ones with decent reviews and pan the weird ones for being too expressive or indie. This film embodies everything I could possibly want in a modern film. Exploding with uniqueness and originality, critics who give this film a negative review either dislike complex plots, get caught up in what they think the movies should be, or are simply confused. There should be no lack of original films like these, and I embrace and encourage the creativity.
April 10, 2017
Amazing! Such good acting by Gylenhall
½ April 10, 2017
Awful... Just boring and pointless... Ignore all the Artsy Fartsy pansy ass reviews. They're just trying to fit in and act like they like it. SAD!!!
April 9, 2017
This is what films need to be. I've watched this movie I don't even know how many times, and I still don't completely understand it. The movie is sheer brilliance. It's sooooooooooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 2017 and I still leave this movie trying to figure it out. I of course went and read several theories about what the meaning is. I was thinking I might not like it as much as I used to, but by the time the movie was over, I was back to understanding why I love it so much. The soundtrack is great and I don't even like 80's music. All of the acting is good. It has a great cast. Young Jake Gylenhaal and Seth Rogen too! Drew Barrymore is hot. Patrick Swayze is dead now.... Great cast beyond those too etc. The writer/director obviously deserves much credit and praise although I don't know why he was never able to come close to the awesomeness of this movie. Of course the Frank costume is one of my favorites. It is a classic icon in my opinion.
½ April 6, 2017
I honestly just do not care for this movie. The acting is great and all, but it's just not my cup of tea.
April 4, 2017
This is an elaborate and well-thought out movie which is very well-done. It's a great debut film by Richard Kelly.

Donnie Darko, a high school student, is visited by a large bunny named Frank that tells him the world is going to end in 28 days. Frank then urges him to perform different dangerous tasks in the days leading up to the calamity.

This movie is made great due to its elaborate plot which was clearly well-thought out by the director. I didn't have much trouble understanding the film throughout its entirety but the ending did confuse me. But after re-watching it and looking up a few theories, I was able to get it and I was astonished by how much effort went into it. It is truly well-done.

Jake Gyllenhaal clearly steals the show giving a mesmerizing performance. He is able to convey several emotions and draw us in very well. The fact that Donnie Darko's character is brutally honest, troubled, and confused makes him an easy character to sympathize with. All the other actors did a great job too but Gyllenhaal did the best job.

One last thing I want to talk about is that usually when people talk about great mind-bending movies, Christopher Nolan is usually brought up the most but I feel that people need to focus on other movies too. Examples of other great movies with elaborate plot include this film, The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, Being John Malkovich, The Tree of Life, Primer, Mulholland Drive, Twelve Monkeys, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Shutter Island. If you're a fan of Nolan then you should check these movies out too. I think Nolan is a great director but I don't like how most people ignore other movies with elaborate plots. Some of these are really famous like Fight Club but the audience usually tends to say that Nolan does the best job with movies of this genre. If you enjoy Nolan then you should check these out too. If you don't like them or still prefer Nolan's movies though then that's fine. I'm just giving these as suggestions.

So in conclusion, I think that this movie is amazing. Once you know its plot, it will keep you in awe. I think that this is an outstanding movie which you should see.
March 30, 2017
Donnie Darko is the most confusing movie I have every seen in my life. That said it almost must be praised for its creativity! I had the film rented for 48 hours, I watched it three times and took a ton of notes. However I am still a little lost as to what this film is actually about. Is it one giant metaphor or is it a series of different events that are woven together is a very strange way? Either way Donnie Darko had me glued to the screen from start to finish and I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves to study films!
March 30, 2017
A great chilling piece of psychologically thrilling cinema
½ March 19, 2017
So damn interesting! Fresh, for sure!
½ March 17, 2017
Nice 80s flair, confusing story, good acting, stupid plot
½ March 12, 2017
Dark thought provoking strange- not sure how this is a comedy... defo one to watch.
March 5, 2017
It's just.... Too weird for me
February 25, 2017
I could nearly form a religion around this movie. And I definitely want it's soundtrack playing at my funeral.
February 25, 2017
#1 worst movie I've ever seen. There will never be a movie worse than this.
February 23, 2017
A really well made script with incredibly intelligent, original, and amazingly executed ideas. The performances were competent and the filming was well done. This movie fails to rate with the masterpieces due to it's being just a little to ambiguous. Where does the vortex come from and why has this happened to Donnie other than someone else? It's good to be open to interpretation, but there should be some more specificity coming from such a bold idea. Is this God's plan. It's neat to think about, but there should be a more narrow amount of possibilities. It is still, nonetheless, worth a watch.