Donnie Darko - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Donnie Darko Reviews

May 21, 2017
I saw this when it first came out and hated it immediately. 14 years latet it is up there with one of my favourite sci-fi thriller
½ May 20, 2017
Donnie Darko is the most confusing movie I have every seen in my life.
One of the Strangest films I've ever seen!
You probably won't understand the plot fully, watching first time.Type of a movie you gotta watch twice.
This is a movie that deals with death, religion, rebirth and many other strong subjects of discussion.
A really clever movie with a mind blowing ending.
May 20, 2017
Even though this movie came out 16 years ago, it still holds up as one of the finest examples of both mystery and above all, comedy. This is definetly one of my favorite films of all time
½ May 17, 2017
Fantastic fable! Some of the ideas may get a little convoluted and confusing, but it's a really interesting mythology set up here. With great music, score, design and a killer early performance from Gyllenhaal, it's an easy recommendation if you want a movie to think about afterwards.
½ May 16, 2017
A bit confusing. The movie doesn't explain much itself. Need to find other source out.
½ May 12, 2017
Had a nice setting at the beginning but, at times, it felt like it was trying way too goddamn hard. The parts where Donnie tries to defy the teachers with his beliefs are really cringy. If he really is smart, why doesn't he realise that his opinion should be kept to himself at those times?
Anyways, the film felt quite bland and, like said, cringy at times.
I still wonder why it is recommended so often and why it even is put at par with Requiem For a Dream (a God-tier film).
½ May 11, 2017
I find it kind of funny, I find it kind of sad...
May 7, 2017
Great movie!! Very strange though.
½ April 26, 2017
Intelligent, dark, and, at times, funny; "Donnie Darko" mixes drama with science fiction creating an effective thriller with twists and turns that no one will suspect. Jake Gyllenhaal shines as the lead protagonist who suffers from a delusional state who causes several problems among his community. The direction was lit, the shots were tight, and the atmosphere will leave you feeling that you've entered into a world where a giant bunny can talk to you. A film that challenges the mind, we need more like this.
April 25, 2017
Donnie Darko takes that extra step other films dare not too. Perplexing yet valiant, Richard Kelly shows ingenious dialouge and an engrossing story one can acknowledge with Gyllenhaal's marvelous performance.
April 23, 2017
If you want to relax while watching a movie, I think Donnie Darko is not for you.For me watching Donnie Darko was a lifetime experience, probably like a teen version of Inception, maybe even more complicated.Acting in this movie is incredible, directing is also good, soundtrack phenomenal.
½ April 16, 2017
Definitely strange but full of weird takes on the 80s, teenagers, high school, and other Americana that make it like a John Hughes movie filtered through a kind of science fiction sensibility.
April 16, 2017
Amazingly smart movie that makes you think harder than before.
April 14, 2017
Love this movie seen it so many times already and still enjoy it though I might start getting a little tired of it. Only reason why it isn't higher than four stars is because certain people I don't like enjoy this movie.
April 13, 2017
Critics today desire and encourage originality and tend to "despise" the generic and formulaic movies; however, they reward the cliche ones with decent reviews and pan the weird ones for being too expressive or indie. This film embodies everything I could possibly want in a modern film. Exploding with uniqueness and originality, critics who give this film a negative review either dislike complex plots, get caught up in what they think the movies should be, or are simply confused. There should be no lack of original films like these, and I embrace and encourage the creativity.
April 10, 2017
Amazing! Such good acting by Gylenhall
½ April 10, 2017
Awful... Just boring and pointless... Ignore all the Artsy Fartsy pansy ass reviews. They're just trying to fit in and act like they like it. SAD!!!
April 9, 2017
This is what films need to be. I've watched this movie I don't even know how many times, and I still don't completely understand it. The movie is sheer brilliance. It's sooooooooooooo awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 2017 and I still leave this movie trying to figure it out. I of course went and read several theories about what the meaning is. I was thinking I might not like it as much as I used to, but by the time the movie was over, I was back to understanding why I love it so much. The soundtrack is great and I don't even like 80's music. All of the acting is good. It has a great cast. Young Jake Gylenhaal and Seth Rogen too! Drew Barrymore is hot. Patrick Swayze is dead now.... Great cast beyond those too etc. The writer/director obviously deserves much credit and praise although I don't know why he was never able to come close to the awesomeness of this movie. Of course the Frank costume is one of my favorites. It is a classic icon in my opinion.
½ April 6, 2017
I honestly just do not care for this movie. The acting is great and all, but it's just not my cup of tea.
April 4, 2017
This is an elaborate and well-thought out movie which is very well-done. It's a great debut film by Richard Kelly.

Donnie Darko, a high school student, is visited by a large bunny named Frank that tells him the world is going to end in 28 days. Frank then urges him to perform different dangerous tasks in the days leading up to the calamity.

This movie is made great due to its elaborate plot which was clearly well-thought out by the director. I didn't have much trouble understanding the film throughout its entirety but the ending did confuse me. But after re-watching it and looking up a few theories, I was able to get it and I was astonished by how much effort went into it. It is truly well-done.

Jake Gyllenhaal clearly steals the show giving a mesmerizing performance. He is able to convey several emotions and draw us in very well. The fact that Donnie Darko's character is brutally honest, troubled, and confused makes him an easy character to sympathize with. All the other actors did a great job too but Gyllenhaal did the best job.

One last thing I want to talk about is that usually when people talk about great mind-bending movies, Christopher Nolan is usually brought up the most but I feel that people need to focus on other movies too. Examples of other great movies with elaborate plot include this film, The Usual Suspects, Fight Club, Being John Malkovich, The Tree of Life, Primer, Mulholland Drive, Twelve Monkeys, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and Shutter Island. If you're a fan of Nolan then you should check these movies out too. I think Nolan is a great director but I don't like how most people ignore other movies with elaborate plots. Some of these are really famous like Fight Club but the audience usually tends to say that Nolan does the best job with movies of this genre. If you enjoy Nolan then you should check these out too. If you don't like them or still prefer Nolan's movies though then that's fine. I'm just giving these as suggestions.

So in conclusion, I think that this movie is amazing. Once you know its plot, it will keep you in awe. I think that this is an outstanding movie which you should see.