Donnie Darko - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Donnie Darko Reviews

½ May 25, 2018
Excitingly original indie vision.
May 23, 2018
What became a career launching role for Jake Gyllenhaal, 'Donnie Darko' is a fascinating and mysterious sci-fi thriller that is edgy, dark, and occasionally witty and will be remembered as one of the best independent films ever made.
May 21, 2018
Donnie Darko is one of the most original films I have ever seen. It takes some bold ideas and turns them into a movie that's really memorable. Every aspect in this film is done to perfection. Jake Gyllenhaal's performance as this kid with emotional problems may be his best performance he has shown his whole career. The best thing about it is that the whole movie can be interpreted in so many different ways and it definitely isn't a straightforward story.
May 19, 2018
Its important a movie is relatable, We need to connect with characters or we don't give a damn. You know a movie has done something right if a school kid has just saved the world from a disaster that transcends universes and at its heart is a human-like bunny rabbit, and the ending is one of the most hard hitting of any movie I've ever seen. Whether you're the kind that wants to analyse this movie or let it present itself at surface level, either work because it gets the balance just right. It'll forever be one of 'those' movies for me.
½ April 26, 2018
Excellent.

Donnie Darko is a troubled teen. He is a loner, his best friend is an imaginary large rabbit named Frank and he is seeing a psychiatrist. He starts to date Gretchen and things start to look up. Then a bizarre accident destroys his bedroom and things get complicated.

Excellent drama. Highly original plot that covers some interesting themes. Engaging too, as the characters, especially Donnie, are given good depth. Very intriguing - you really don't know where the story is heading. Can be a bit confusing though, especially towards the end.

Good work by Jake Gyllenhaal as Donnie. The movie launched his career.
April 24, 2018
Everyone always raved about how good this movie is. It was kind of interesting, but really I found it to be one of those movies for teenagers thinking they're all deep. Maybe if I had seen it when I was that age it would have been cooler to me.
April 11, 2018
By the sounds of it you would think this is awful. but it was a really great movie, very unique and complex
April 10, 2018
Donnie Darko is a film that seems to have become a legendary coming-of-age film. The keyword however is "seems." Beginning the film, I had high hopes. I was expecting a film about a teen learning to control his schizophrenia, perhaps expressed through the demon known as Frank. Rather, I received a film that was blatantly confusing and contrived. Many reviewers proclaimed that you have to watch the film for a second time to truly understand the symbolism. However I could watch hardly it the first time, it wasn't in the slightest interesting, until the final act. The film focuses on too many characters to the point they are all character tropes. If that was the film's intention, then they shouldn't have include what I perceived to be 45 minutes of their menial interactions with Donnie (especially his girlfriend). Donnie himself was bland; he was a "woke" teen ( I'm guessing something exemplary in the 80s). Yet, the film barely focuses on his backstory as to how be became so enlightened. Leading to me the viewer, not really caring about the protagonist; especially with such monotone dialogue. One aspect of the film I did like however was the cinematography. There were many eye-catching shots, and the music fit the atmosphere perfectly.
April 8, 2018
Philosophically-thought-provoking and overly smart written, Donnie Darko has Richard Kelly as the writer and director of a creative, adequately structured and deep in meaning and over-analytical context and story that'll deserve the continuous viewings that'll only benefit its conception and twisted take as one of the most original "sci-fi-time-traveling" flicks ever conceived in an indie spectrum, presenting Jake Gyllenhaal in one of his most iconic roles.
April 3, 2018
Donnie Darko is a brilliant, deeply layered, psychological, relatable, dark yet humorous story about the frustrating aspects of growing up. Furthermore, it has mystifying sci-fi elements leaving more questions open than answered, which combined with its unnerving soundtrack makes for a unique experience. To me, Donnie Darko is cinematic perfection.
½ March 28, 2018
this movie has a great story and a deep meaning.
March 19, 2018
most overrated piece of shit I've watched till now.
March 13, 2018
Great film. Brings teenage conflicts and show another side of science fiction, with theories of travel of time.
A movie that gets attention and makes you think.
March 9, 2018
Great characters and music i Dont know anything wrong with this wonderfully weird film
March 8, 2018
This film is astoundingly clever, captivating and different along with being a great portrayal of teenage emotion. put that with the amazing soundtrack, possibly one of the best films ever made.
March 7, 2018
Puntaje original: 6.5

Un film con personalidad propia, que cuenta con una historia absorbente, de la mano de una gran actuación de Jake gyllenhall.
February 19, 2018
one of best movies ever
February 16, 2018
This movie is a cult classic so I watched it. But I think I must have missed something. All I thought at the end was, "Well, that was weird." I will say that it had some good music in it.
February 5, 2018
Donnie Darko provides an interesting and intelligent storyline, memorable characters and lines, as well as a truly underrated performance by Jake Gyllenhaal. Dark, funny, and surprisingly touching, Donnie Darko tells a bittersweet story about enjoying life even when given a countdown to the end.

4/5 stars
February 1, 2018
wow interesting name... hint the sarcasim