Don't Bother to Knock - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Don't Bother to Knock Reviews

January 6, 2017
This one is a little odd, but Marilyn is clearly on a different level than everyone else.
½ December 23, 2016
Marilyn gives one of her best performances.
November 29, 2016
Don't Bother to Knock is an incredible film. It is about an airline pilot pursues a babysitter in his hotel after being dumped by his girlfriend. Richard Widmark and Marilyn Monroe give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Roy Ward Barker did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and mystery. Don't Bother to Knock is is a must see.
November 26, 2016
I watched this film because my mother had enjoyed it and told me about it. I enjoyed it as well. It's a very different Marilyn Monroe film, and worth watching. One has to remember it was filmed in 1954 ( I think) so I would call it a "proto-thriller." In other words, it predates Psycho and other nail-biters, and as such might be viewed as as a bit more "tame." Nevertheless, I thought Marilyn's performance was on par with the other major stars (Ann Bancroft, Richard Widmark and others).
September 21, 2016
I really enjoyed this Roy Ward Baker film noir with Richard Widmark and early appearances by Anne Bancroft (singing, even!), Jim Backus and Marilyn Monroe. It's short and sweet, neither overstating its point nor overstaying its welcome. Monroe plays a suicidal fish-out-of-water, who has just moved to New York City from Oregon to overcome a troubled past and start again, falling quickly in love with a pilot who's clearly on the rebound, and the trials and tribulations that follow. Very rewarding both for fans of Monroe and the genre.

Just a couple of years back, I picked up this mammoth 17-film DVD collection of Marilyn Monroe's films for a really good price, only to find that the ridiculous way the discs were placed in the digipack basically ruined them, and after watching the movies the best that I could, I reluctantly had to part with it, hoping the set would soon be released at a decent price on the more resilient blu (as you can tell, I'm old-school and low-fi, but I'm hoping to quickly remedy this problem!).

As you can tell by any of my prior reviews of Richard Widmark's films, I'm a huge fan of his, and he's easily one of my favourite and most entertaining and watchable actors of the period. As well, Roy Ward Baker is one of the most underrated directors of the period--his entry in The Criterion Collection, 'A Night to Remember', is easily the best telling of the 'Titanic' tragedy. Thus simply on the basis of those three alone, I heartily recommend the film to any adventurous cinephiles of this era.
September 21, 2016

August 17, 2016
Review contains spoilers

This is a movie that Marilyn Monroe fans should really watch if not just for here performance..She was so vulnerable and lost in the movie, yes she was psychologically traumatized by the loss of her boyfriend in the war and Richard Widmark an incredible actor, became her obsession in a way. She was so lonely, and couldn't really except the loss of her boyfriend that she kinda believed that Richard Widmark was her boyfriend. She was sad and dangerous, to herself and the kids she was watching and you understood and felt for her at the same time. She was lost and what i felt was so great about this film was that through all of the suspense and tense moments, Richard Widmark really cared for her and knew she needed help and when they came to take her away to the mental hospital again, Richard Widmark stepped in and told her he would go with her. Such a great understated and hopeful ending, that he wouldn't just abandon her. I'd definitely recommend this movie.
July 17, 2016
You're a girl with lots of variations.

A couple with their daughter has an event at a hotel and the elevator operator tells the couple on the way to their room he knows a young lady that can babysit their child if they need her. The parents jump at the opportunity and the elevator operator's niece takes the job. She falls in love with the man across the hall and things get very intense when the niece's plans go left. The young girl's life quickly becomes at risk as the niece becomes obsessed with the man...

"Don't be a peeping pansy."

Roy Ward Baker, director of A Night to Remember, Asylum, Five Million Years to Earth, The Monster Club, The Switch, The Vault of Horror, and Journey to Midnight, delivers Don't Bother to Knock. The storyline for this picture is awesome and comes together beautifully. This is a fantastic thriller with excellent characters, script, and a remarkable conclusion. The cast delivers perfect performances and includes Marilyn Monroe, Richard Widmark, Anne Bancroft, Lurene Tuttle, and Elisha Cook.

"You won't cry again, will you?"

I recently found this on Netflix and had to watch this classic Monroe picture. This quickly became my all-time favorite Monroe film. This is a thriller in the mold of Hitchcock and I was thoroughly impressed by the evolution of this film. This is brilliantly written and delivered and worth adding to your classic DVD collection.

"They told her she was practically cured."

Grade: A+
½ July 15, 2016
Marilyn wasn't just a pretty face, she was a good actress. This movie is her best (in my opinion).
½ June 22, 2016
This film noir is a slow burn, and it exhibits a truly haunting side of Marilyn Monroe that must be experienced to be believed.
June 12, 2016
Short and to the point. Monroe is tremendous.
April 9, 2016
Marilyn Monroe plays a looney, sometimes unconvincingly, just so the star, Jed Towers (Richard Widmark) can convince his girl that he cares about others. Yeah, it' tame 1950's fodder.
December 14, 2015
It's a pleasure to see Marilyn in a serious role of a psychotic suicidal young woman, and she does it very convincingly. A Marilyn Monroe classic.
½ June 28, 2015
My favorite Marilyn Monroe film, and without question her best, most complex, and interesting performance.
½ June 17, 2015
Very good movie, with Richard Widmark and Marilyn Monroe. Marilyn plays a suicidal babysitter. Fine acting for her first leading role.
June 9, 2014
A disturbing knockout of a performance by Monroe--Atmospheric and Efficient... Razor sharp!!
July 2, 2013
not a typical dumb-blonde, but a psycho baby sitter. something different from marilyn monroe.
½ April 15, 2013
Richard Widmark is the typical noir fall guy who makes a fatal mistake that leads to the fickle finger of fate poking him in the eye (and he's lucky because it could have been worse). In this case, after getting dumped by his gal Anne Bancroft because of his lack of empathy, Widmark ends up flirting with Marilyn Monroe through his window which looks out into her hotel room (or actually the hotel room where she is baby-sitting). You see, Elisha Cook has gotten her this job but she's never baby-sat before, has only just arrived in New York, and seems to have some other concerns. The tension actually mounts pretty high and although the denouement is a bit pat, this is a fine short noir with believable portrayals all around.
½ February 12, 2013
This film couldn't have been better without Monroe, she was absolutely awesome. We are accustomed to see her play in comedies, this time she plays a completely different role. Her acting was perfect and so was the acting of all the crew. And I forgot to mention that the story line was very good and well made.
January 30, 2013
Marilyn's first attempt at something dramatic, decent but plot dilutes it.