La Double Vie de Véronique (The Double Life of Veronique) Reviews

• Aug 01, 2020

Kieslowski is hit or miss for me. He almost has an entirely new language in how he makes his films which can be refreshing but also frustrating at times. I'd like to think this film can be experienced in a similar manner to David Lynch's "Mulholland Drive" where the first viewing should be intended as purely a dreamlike experience where the details don't have to make sense at the end, but with multiple viewings, will begin to. Although I have a feeling it's not going to compare to "Mulholland Drive" in giving the viewer that reward multiple times down the road. Regardless, Irene Jacob is beautiful.

• Jul 18, 2020

Beautifully shot and a good introduction to Krzysztof Kieslowski films where metaphysical connections are shown amidst the randomness of life. Jacob is serene yet purposeful in both roles

• May 24, 2020

The reviews for this movie seem to be misleading. The mysterious connection between the two Veronicas takes a back seat in favor of a rather uninteresting love story. Even though this movie is visually stunning, in the end it's just another manic pixie dream girl who seems to have no other interest or motivation except the male protagonist.

• May 13, 2020

Poetry between the frames. Music between the moving pictures. Together resonating much greater symphony.

• Feb 14, 2020

Cryptic and emotionally honest. Irene Jacob is a perfect prism through which the energy of the scenes pass straight through to us, she's electric, clearly beautiful but alarmingly simple, humble and finely raw. I suppose I need to rewatch the film to glean the most from its intentionally hanging threads and its narrative unconventionality. As it stands I much preferred the clarity and through-lines of The Three Colours Trilogy, Double Life is a tone-poem using a single person to convey the alien unquantifiable nature of feelings, but without something to make me feel smart afterwards, without a tiny but more meat on the bones, I'm left admiring the audio-visual experience, the acting and the filmmaking, but not the story, without anything that approximates an arc.

• Nov 23, 2019

It's hard to describe and moreover to apply logic to this masterpiece; where it fails, heart and sense of beauty do a wonderful job to feel this movie. Similar feelings I experienced after watching his 'Blue Color', the same parable of transcendence; both films are working on a more subtle level, where music operates, in an inarticulate realm. Pure art.

• Oct 17, 2019

Well written, well acted, well shot. Some of the scenes definitely stayed with me, but I feel like the story itself would've been more compelling with a bit less fantasy and a bit more mystery.

• Sep 13, 2019

I hate when I’m watching a film and feel like I just don’t get it. The Double Life of Veronique perplexed me so much that I wanted to rewind several times and see if I had missed something that explained it all better. I couldn’t perceive why anything was happening or what kind of metaphysical thing was going on to link these two women together (other than the fact that they’re played by the same actress.) I guess there really isn’t any clear indication of these aspects of the story, it’s just a mystery and I don’t deal well with that kind of abstraction. The film is very slow-moving and quiet. I almost wish it continued with the short stories like the first one and was The Quintuple Life of Veronique or something like that, because at least that would keep things moving a bit more. I was struggling to focus on the film because it was so quiet and peaceful that it threatened to lull me to sleep. I also don’t deal all that well with pointless sex and nudity in film, and there was plenty of that here. I wouldn’t say that The Double Life of Veronique is a bad film, or that it has nothing appealing in it, but the way it was put together did not work for me. Like I said, maybe I just don’t get it.

• May 03, 2019

Beautiful, lyrical, mystical -- but for some reason, it just didn't grab me. I'm not sure why. I wanted to like it more than I did.

• Jul 15, 2017

4.1/5 A film that almost seems to exist and perfect itself inside its own artistic bubble, making for a strangely alien look into life that is as hard to criticize as it is hard not to recommend, at least only for the one of a kind experience.