Dr. No - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dr. No Reviews

July 14, 2017
not that great but the rest of bond wouldn't exist without it
June 30, 2017
The first Bond movie delivers some classic lines and creates movie tropes however some of it is still slow and bores you to watch.
June 28, 2017
Solid start to the series. It has no huge action setpieces or silly gadgets, but instead relies on proper intrigue and simple spy tricks (the hair across the cupboard doors, etc), which make it compelling and fun. In certain genre-staple elements, you can see the fundamentals that have ensured the endurance of the series until today. The film is, however, less polished than subsequent instalments, and I'm not a huge fan of Andress...or of Connery's singing :P

It also gets a bit silly when Bond finally meets up with No, but the production design for his lair is awesome, and Joseph Wiseman is good if you can get past the yellowface.

No giant squid?! Pfft!
½ June 26, 2017
Dr. No is a good starter for the franchise. Sean Connery gives a great performance but almost everything in this film is done better in other movies.

7.0/10
June 18, 2017
Ah the one that started it all. Sean Connery's portrayal is not only iconic but still stands as a great benchmark as where and how to measure Bond films. Humor and the thrilling plot still hold up today as well. Dr. No stands as the pioneer in spy films, and remains as the classic it always was.
June 18, 2017
Dr. No é o primeiro filme da gigantesca franquia 007, que possui o maior numero de sequencias de todos os tempos: 24 ao todo. O começo e singelo e sem muitas surpresas. Bonde, James Bonde nasce pequeno mas com um futuro promissor. Richard Maibaum ,Johanna Harwood e Berkeley Mather são os primeiros roteirista da gigantesca saga de Bonde, mas o arco dramático de é bastante simples e previsível, não envolve muitas surpresas ou grandes aventuras.
June 13, 2017
James Bond 007 tracks down a man bent on world domination in the Jamacan Islands. Very good first half of the movie up until he gets captured. Ursula Andrus is very nice looking. The last 30 or so minutes dragged. Good but not great.
June 11, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: This is of course where one of the most iconic film franchises ever began, and what's so startling when you look back at 'Dr No' now is just how elegantly simple it really is. Yes absent are the crazy explosions and fast-paced sequences - this is Bond without the frills as it indulges itself in a great spy-mystery story by taking its time to establish everything extremely well. As a result, Bond was born as a success, and if it hadn't have been for those steady foundations the formula couldn't have grown into what it is today. A big part of that is down to the direction from Terrence Young, but Sean Connery also carries much of the victory as he truly sets the bar high for portraying this fascinatingly charming and calculating super-spy.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: As the franchise grows, so does its confidence, and the simplicity here is undoubtedly built upon in far more exciting and engaging ways in the years to come.
VERDICT: 'Dr No' really did establish everything beautifully, and if it wasn't for this early success, Bond could never be what it is today.
½ June 6, 2017
Establishing all the tropes that still exist to this day, Dr. No is fun, sexy, and undeniably charming.
½ May 31, 2017
A little unpolished, but rips along at a pace brisk enough that there is no time to dwell on minor flaws. It is surprising how effective it is as a first entry; it starts with a more grounded on investigation, building up palpable tension, but also slowly piling on the more fantastic elements allowing us to be eased us into the idea of crazy bad guys in secret bases in a believable manner. And while the focus on the spy thriller aspects over action means the climax isn't the most exciting compared to the later films in the series, the moments when Bond comes face to face with the Doctor give us a great taste of what's to come from the franchise.
May 28, 2017
Four stars. An enjoyable, funny start to the Bond franchise that isn't over the top. It's cool, and Sean Connery is a great bond.
May 23, 2017
Dr No is the blueprint from which all other Bonds would follow- exotic locations, beautiful women and a villain who wants to take over the world. The gadgets and the Aston Martin would turn up in the next few episodes to solidify Bond as pop cultural icon. The story here is reasonable low key until Bond confronts the villain in his underground lair. He is sent to Jamaica to investigate the killing of secret service agents only to find his trail lead to Dr No (Jonathon Wiseman), an articulate, oriental looking madman with metal claws for hands who wants to destroy the world with a nuclear device. Connery is a bit rough around the edges and hasn't smoothed into the character yet (when I first saw this film, I thought he was meant to be East European!) but it was his performances as the action hero that cemented his appeal as an actor. Call me a wet blanket too but I never understood the appeal of Ursules Andres as Honey Rider (as great as she looked coming out of the surf) and prefer the classy charms of Sylvia Trench...and Moneypenny for that matter.
½ May 16, 2017
Good start to the James Bond films. I enjoyed it. Best scene was spider
½ April 1, 2017
This is a strange way to start a franchise: no build-up, no origin story, the whole thing is quiet & slow, as if we're already supposed to know everything about him. It's got good stuff: exciting (if campy) car chases, mysterious villain, iconic white bikini. What's odd though is, despite being naturally cool, Bond's often found here in some less-than-flattering situations; I mean, halfway through the most action-packed scene is him trying to smash a spider with a shoe. A basic start to an enduring franchise.
February 27, 2017
The first James Bond film, released back in 1962, is a great start for the long running series. It's interesting to see how mild-mannered everything is, given how lavish the productions would later become. Sean Connery is perfect as Bond, managing to make the character tough, charming and thoroughly likeable all at the same time, which isn't easy to do (e.g Roger Moore or Daniel Craig). The first Bond girl, Ursula Andress, is one of the most iconic, as is the villain, the film's namesake (Joseph Wiseman). Sure, it's not the most exciting entry in the series, but it's well acted, briskly paced and has some choice action scenes as well (Bond himself surprisingly takes a beating here and there, but he proves he can dish it out twice as hard). A quieter, more pensive film than most that followed, Dr. No is a must see for anyone interested in the Bond series.
February 23, 2017
Dr No is the blueprint from which all other Bonds would follow- exotic locations, beautiful women and a villain who wants to take over the world. The gadgets and the Aston Martin would turn up in the next few episodes to solidify Bond as pop cultural icon. The story here is reasonable low key until Bond confronts the villain in his underground lair. He is sent to Jamaica to investigate the killing of secret service agents only to find his trail lead to Dr No (Jonathon Wiseman), an articulate, oriental looking madman with metal claws for hands who wants to destroy the world with a nuclear device. Connery is a bit rough around the edges and hasn't smoothed into the character yet (when I first saw this film, I thought he was meant to be East European!) but it was his performances as the action hero that cemented his appeal as an actor. Call me a wet blanket too but I never understood the appeal of Ursules Andres as Honey Rider (as great as she looked coming out of the surf) and prefer the classy charms of Sylvia Trench...and Moneypenny for that matter (until she got bogged down with Roger Moore).
January 21, 2017
Nobody does it better than Bond, and no Bond is better than Connery. Dr. No is the one that started it all and it's a thrilling fun start to one of Hollywood's most beloved franchises.
January 17, 2017
A great debut for 007 that despite it's tight budget manages to shine with quality, sophistication and great characters. Terrance Young as director was instrumental in moulding Connery into the Bond he became and this movie sets the stage for what was to follow perfectly.
½ January 10, 2017
In this introduction to the James Bond franchise, MI6 agent 007 (Sean Connery) must get to the bottom of a mystery involving nuclear devices (because it's the 60s) in the Bahamas.

I just started to explore the Bond movies and I wanted to see as many as I could. So, what better way to begin the franchise with the film that started it all? This movie came out during a decade that was pushing taboos and traditions of what could be shown in movies. Since filmmakers at the time were mostly still experimenting with their films, I thought it would be interesting to see how they handled "Dr. No".

First, let me start with the negatives. Some of the pacing, around 30-40 minutes in, felt dreadfully slow. Since the opening scene with the murder, I was drawn into the movie. But, the film felt like it was taking too long to continue developing the main story with the nuclear devices. Though, to be fair, it should introduce to the viewers the character of James Bond and his agency, since it's the first film in the series. Also, some of the special effects, especially some scenery, looked dated.

I have very mixed feelings about the main villain. I think there was good suspense built to his character, because we first hear only his voice and how he can control his operations and make his goons tremble (well, one of them). But the actual scene with actor Joseph Wiseman didn't show much to him other than being stern. I mean, it's cool to see the first James Bond villain, but I wish there was more to his character.

The overall plot, however, I thought was executed well with a big sense of fun. Particularly at the end of the second act, the dialogues felt like the writers were having a lot of fun doing their job. I felt like there was much enthusiasm (or at least, a sense of gravity) in a lot of the actors in them describing the conditions of their crisis to make the film sound fun. The climactic sequence is simple, but cool to watch.

The acting also helps the overall film. Sean Connery is so cool in this film, one often forgets he is Indiana Jones' dad, a character with very different attitudes. Ursula Andress was alright. This is one trope that will bother many viewers, and in other films it bothered me as well. The Bond girls usually do not have much to them other than bodies, which lets Bond take advantage of them. Here, Andress as Honey Ryder mostly just provides a damsel in distress situation for Bond, maybe having a trait or two.

Overall though, "Dr. No" is a good introduction to the James Bond franchise. Though it has pacing issues, viewers should be grateful that it takes time to introduce many important characters and tropes that will be common in the series (for better or worse). I do look forward to continuing the franchise for some fun.
7/10
January 4, 2017
130914: 1st Bond Film. Commenced my journey down the James Bond, 50th Anniversary, Blu-Ray package thanks to a friend. Nothing wrong with the first of the series. Decent entertainment and views of Jamaica. Ah, Honey Rider. RIP Quarrel.