Dr. No - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Dr. No Reviews

September 18, 2017
The first Bond film which was released quite a long time before my days is the first Bond film I've ever seen and it's one of my favorite.
½ September 15, 2017
Successfully introducing everything that makes Bond great, Dr. No remains one of the best entries of the franchise nearly 3 decades later. The villain is subtly menacing, and Sean Connery gives one of the best performances of his career.
September 8, 2017
The first film of the greatest movie franchise of all time. It is still easy to watch today as it has always been. It may not be the greatest Bond movie but it is better than a lot of them. And Connery may not be the best Bond but I'm glad he was the first.
September 5, 2017
a little bit over hyped. not a bad film by any means however it is very dated. some sense are cringy to watch. that being said it is still a classic
August 29, 2017
Although it hasn't aged very well technically, Dr. No is a well paced and enjoyable first entry to the Bond franchise.
August 29, 2017
A good villain and a good plot, a well paced chase, a brilliant Bond and everything else you could desire in a Bond film.
½ August 1, 2017
Admittedly not as well handled as its follow up, Dr. No still manages to succeed in spectacular fashion. While providing the right amount of color, style and excitement that everybody wants to see. In the end this film is a must see for the casual movie watcher and a definitive one for the James Bond diehard.
July 30, 2017
found this one quite boring
July 14, 2017
not that great but the rest of bond wouldn't exist without it
June 30, 2017
The first Bond movie delivers some classic lines and creates movie tropes however some of it is still slow and bores you to watch.
June 28, 2017
Solid start to the series. It has no huge action setpieces or silly gadgets, but instead relies on proper intrigue and simple spy tricks (the hair across the cupboard doors, etc), which make it compelling and fun. In certain genre-staple elements, you can see the fundamentals that have ensured the endurance of the series until today. The film is, however, less polished than subsequent instalments, and I'm not a huge fan of Andress...or of Connery's singing :P

It also gets a bit silly when Bond finally meets up with No, but the production design for his lair is awesome, and Joseph Wiseman is good if you can get past the yellowface.

No giant squid?! Pfft!
½ June 26, 2017
Dr. No is a good starter for the franchise. Sean Connery gives a great performance but almost everything in this film is done better in other movies.

7.0/10
June 18, 2017
Ah the one that started it all. Sean Connery's portrayal is not only iconic but still stands as a great benchmark as where and how to measure Bond films. Humor and the thrilling plot still hold up today as well. Dr. No stands as the pioneer in spy films, and remains as the classic it always was.
June 18, 2017
Dr. No é o primeiro filme da gigantesca franquia 007, que possui o maior numero de sequencias de todos os tempos: 24 ao todo. O começo e singelo e sem muitas surpresas. Bonde, James Bonde nasce pequeno mas com um futuro promissor. Richard Maibaum ,Johanna Harwood e Berkeley Mather são os primeiros roteirista da gigantesca saga de Bonde, mas o arco dramático de é bastante simples e previsível, não envolve muitas surpresas ou grandes aventuras.
June 13, 2017
James Bond 007 tracks down a man bent on world domination in the Jamacan Islands. Very good first half of the movie up until he gets captured. Ursula Andrus is very nice looking. The last 30 or so minutes dragged. Good but not great.
June 11, 2017
WHAT I LIKED: This is of course where one of the most iconic film franchises ever began, and what's so startling when you look back at 'Dr No' now is just how elegantly simple it really is. Yes absent are the crazy explosions and fast-paced sequences - this is Bond without the frills as it indulges itself in a great spy-mystery story by taking its time to establish everything extremely well. As a result, Bond was born as a success, and if it hadn't have been for those steady foundations the formula couldn't have grown into what it is today. A big part of that is down to the direction from Terrence Young, but Sean Connery also carries much of the victory as he truly sets the bar high for portraying this fascinatingly charming and calculating super-spy.
WHAT I DIDN'T LIKE: As the franchise grows, so does its confidence, and the simplicity here is undoubtedly built upon in far more exciting and engaging ways in the years to come.
VERDICT: 'Dr No' really did establish everything beautifully, and if it wasn't for this early success, Bond could never be what it is today.
½ June 6, 2017
Establishing all the tropes that still exist to this day, Dr. No is fun, sexy, and undeniably charming.
½ May 31, 2017
A little unpolished, but rips along at a pace brisk enough that there is no time to dwell on minor flaws. It is surprising how effective it is as a first entry; it starts with a more grounded on investigation, building up palpable tension, but also slowly piling on the more fantastic elements allowing us to be eased us into the idea of crazy bad guys in secret bases in a believable manner. And while the focus on the spy thriller aspects over action means the climax isn't the most exciting compared to the later films in the series, the moments when Bond comes face to face with the Doctor give us a great taste of what's to come from the franchise.
May 28, 2017
Four stars. An enjoyable, funny start to the Bond franchise that isn't over the top. It's cool, and Sean Connery is a great bond.
May 23, 2017
Dr No is the blueprint from which all other Bonds would follow- exotic locations, beautiful women and a villain who wants to take over the world. The gadgets and the Aston Martin would turn up in the next few episodes to solidify Bond as pop cultural icon. The story here is reasonable low key until Bond confronts the villain in his underground lair. He is sent to Jamaica to investigate the killing of secret service agents only to find his trail lead to Dr No (Jonathon Wiseman), an articulate, oriental looking madman with metal claws for hands who wants to destroy the world with a nuclear device. Connery is a bit rough around the edges and hasn't smoothed into the character yet (when I first saw this film, I thought he was meant to be East European!) but it was his performances as the action hero that cemented his appeal as an actor. Call me a wet blanket too but I never understood the appeal of Ursules Andres as Honey Rider (as great as she looked coming out of the surf) and prefer the classy charms of Sylvia Trench...and Moneypenny for that matter.